View Full Version : Matco 6s,vs 5s, vs Snap-on Masters vs Epiq

durallymax
05-27-2011, 12:24 AM
Im sure this has been gone over hundreds of times an I would like to say thanks.

I am in the market for a new box. I want to buy a very nice box. Ive played with the Epiq and KRL SOs and like both of them a lot. Just looking for other opinions.

Thanks much.

I can fix anything
05-27-2011, 12:28 AM
If it aint snap on it aint sh*t :thumbup:

Stick
05-27-2011, 01:38 AM
Any reason you aren't considering a 1350 or 1900 Macsimizer?

I've owned a KRL series Snap-On, and currently own a 1900 series Macsimizer bottom box with a Matco 6s top box, so I've owned all three. Out of all three, I like the Mac box the best, with the Matco 6s a close second. The KRL was nice, but the drawer layout wasn't ideal, and the Mac and Matco boxes seem better built.

If you were looking at lower end boxes like KRA, Tech series, and 4s, then I'd rate them Tech series, KRA, 4s.

JASTECH
05-27-2011, 03:25 AM
Have you given Lista boxs a look?

Thanks, JASTECH

Busted Bolts
05-27-2011, 04:07 AM
:bounce:Like JASTECH suggested, Lista has an extensive box selection, with tons of configurations. I just recv'd a new cat and the choices seem endless. They are right up there in price, but you can almost "build" your own with all the options and systems. I'm looking at them right now for my new shop. I own SO, but I can free up shelves, cabinets, lockers, and parts bins with some of their offerings. Good luck on your search

outlander800
05-27-2011, 06:06 AM
I have a mac 1354 with a maple top that I would sell. Im located just north of buffalo n.y. The box is really nice, has a ding here or there but it looks new otherwise. I keep a few coats of wax on it. $4k firm. This box is a beast and I get a ton of compliments on it.

CommonRail
05-27-2011, 03:52 PM

I've owned a KRL series Snap-On, and currently own a 1900 series Macsimizer bottom box with a Matco 6s top box, so I've owned all three. Out of all three, I like the Mac box the best, with the Matco 6s a close second. The KRL was nice, but the drawer layout wasn't ideal, and the Mac and Matco boxes seem better built.

If you were looking at lower end boxes like KRA, Tech series, and 4s, then I'd rate them Tech series, KRA, 4s.

I will respectfully disagree about the tech 1000 being better than a KRA. I owned a Tech 1000 for about two weeks. You couldn't pay me to own another.

To the OP, nothing is going to compare to the Epiq. There is no better box in my opinion.

bobcatdan
05-27-2011, 05:30 PM
There was just a tread about the exact same topic. When It comes down to it, in person look at the boxes, all are well built and will last. Look are drawer arrangment, overall size and the best deal you can find. Find the box that fits you the best. I have a krl 1022, I wouldn't trade for a 6s. I like the big mac, but personally they seemed to have cheapen up in the last few years

rsanter
05-27-2011, 06:05 PM

I have a Tech1000 and like it for the money I paid $700 but there is no way I would give $4000 for one of them
I have seen the SO EPIQ and that thing is awsome. if I had the money to spend thats what I would be buying

bob

glenmore
05-27-2011, 06:15 PM
Whatever you do, just buy used so that all the retail is wrung out of the price.

I have a KRL761 which is solid Cadillac, a smaller KRA4107 series which is basic entry level and some old beat up Listas.

I saw this Matco 6s and it was gorgeous. THREE full width drawers!

hammergodthor
05-27-2011, 06:24 PM
I have a mac 1354 with a maple top that I would sell. Im located just north of buffalo n.y. The box is really nice, has a ding here or there but it looks new otherwise. I keep a few coats of wax on it. $4k firm. This box is a beast and I get a ton of compliments on it.

I have one of these, my only complaint is the depth of the second and third drawers. They are only 1.5" deep, so any wrench bigger than 3/4 or 19mm has to be laid out or put into Ernst low profile wrench racks. If you like laying your tools out so you can see them, this is great. If you have lots of tools, it sucks. The box construction seems top notch though, and the height is perfect. :thumbup:

durallymax
05-27-2011, 07:21 PM
I really like the epiq, ive played with a handful and I'm leaning more towards the so boxes, partly because of the great customer service I get from them. But still has to be a good deal and if a MAC or matco comes up as a steal, I'd be open to it.

I still prefer the lock n roll latch over the inpulse though, but love the rest pf the epiq

ARAMP1
05-27-2011, 07:33 PM
If it aint snap on it aint sh*t :thumbup:
So you're saying, if it is snap on it is sh*t? :lol_hitti

CommonRail
05-27-2011, 07:52 PM
I still prefer the lock n roll latch over the inpulse though, but love the rest pf the epiq

I thought the same thing about the inpulse. After using it for a few weeks, I actually began to prefer it. Its all personal preferance though.

outlander800
05-27-2011, 08:19 PM
I have one of these, my only complaint is the depth of the second and third drawers. They are only 1.5" deep, so any wrench bigger than 3/4 or 19mm has to be laid out or put into Ernst low profile wrench racks. If you like laying your tools out so you can see them, this is great. If you have lots of tools, it sucks. The box construction seems top notch though, and the height is perfect. :thumbup:

I feel the same way about the box. It is well built and I think the box is stiffer than my old co-workers krl snap on boxes. I do feel the same way about the second drawer and thats why my sae wrenches are laid out. I didnt know anybody mdae low pro racks.

durallymax
05-27-2011, 08:29 PM
I thought the same thing about the inpulse. After using it for a few weeks, I actually began to prefer it. Its all personal preferance though.

I suppose its just like the lock-n-roll. over time you prefer it.

There are two main reasons.

1. nobody can figure it out n thinks its locked.

2. You really have to pull the inpulse a lot to get it to unlatch. Lock-n-roll is quick and simple. But it I had one im sure i would get used to it.

blacK20
05-27-2011, 08:31 PM
What exactly is the impulse system that the epiq's use? Is it anything like the mac detents?

durallymax
05-27-2011, 08:37 PM
no its a grip latch, you grab the handle and pivot it upward to release the latch.

blacK20
05-27-2011, 08:43 PM
Ah I see what it is.

1oldtimer
05-27-2011, 09:59 PM
I always buy used (same with cars), the prices on the trucks suck and with the saving you can buy more tools to fill it.

my current box was 4k with the cart and it was 2 yrs old when I got it.
it's a Matco quadbay

tcsalvage
05-27-2011, 10:54 PM
still own a set of snap on boxes (before slide locks) and last year traded my 1 year old snap on box on a matco 6 and haven't regretted it at all. looked at new mac boxes when shopping for a replacement but matco made a sweet deal so matco it is. as far as build quality i have owned a set of boxes from all the trucks over the years and short of those stupid slide locks haven't had a problem with any of them. so as far as who to choose from just go with the size you need and get the best deal.

SS5150
05-28-2011, 01:23 AM
I had a Tech 1000, a Macsimizer 1350 and just got an 84" Epiq last week. I'm still getting used to the drawer latches, but everything else rules about it. I'm in automotive and the drawer layout ( I got the triple bay, no powerbank) is perfect for my needs.

I felt the Macsimizer seemed more 'heavy duty' than a KRL, but the KRL's look nicer and have the lock'n'roll drawers. I ended up with the Mac because my dealer made a screaming deal at the last minute; I was going to order a black SO 1022 at the time. The Macsimizer gave me good service (although my dealers aren't great, average I'd say) but no drawer latches is a PITA if you've gotta move the box alot.

In the end the Epiq was cheaper, had a better drawer configuration, the inpulse drawers, and most likely better resale, made it a no brainer over a 1900 Macsimizer. I love mine.

CD360
05-28-2011, 10:19 AM
Whatever you do, just buy used so that all the retail is wrung out of the price.

I have a KRL761 which is solid Cadillac, a smaller KRA4107 series which is basic entry level and some old beat up Listas.

I saw this Matco 6s and it was gorgeous. THREE full width drawers!

I have this same box. I love the three full width drawers. It is a very nice box.

I would say they are all very nice boxes. Buy which ever one you like the most.

tankboy_taylor
05-29-2011, 01:44 AM
without a doubt go with a Snap On Epiq or Krl its the best box period and holds its value better than any other box.

durallymax
06-12-2011, 06:20 PM
Im really liking the KRL1033 in cranberry. I want a large triple bank box, the 1033 is my favorite of them all, but i havent found a single used one yet.