View Full Version : A good pair of sheet metal shears? (Aviation Snips)

djcrunkmix
06-05-2011, 04:44 PM
Suggestions? Looking for high quality stuff (Made in USA, Germany, Japan, etc). Klein shears go for ~$20 each.

Stephenw
06-05-2011, 04:59 PM
I've always like Wiss brand, made in the USA.

domain
06-05-2011, 05:03 PM
Malco, Wiss, and Midwest are the favorites around me. I personally used a Task Force Brand set I purchased for $15, for 5 snips. Never had any problems. :)

Jim Stabe
06-05-2011, 07:34 PM
Midweat. I hava a pair of all the top brands and I like the midweast the best.

metal1313
06-05-2011, 08:32 PM
wiss/midwest here

BillK
06-05-2011, 08:50 PM
I have a set of 4 Wiss shears that are probably 30 years old. Just cannot seem to wear them out.

Tom Hintz
06-06-2011, 02:51 AM
I got a chance to pick up a bunch of Bessey snips, all of which were recommended by a friend in Germany that told me that they are pretty much all anyone over there uses. I think all or most of these snips are made in either Germany or Canada and they do look and work like it. I have a quick review of the models I have at the link below. Everything I have used from this line work very well for me.

http://www.newmetalworker.com/Reviews/besysnips.html

tinbender 66
06-06-2011, 04:03 AM
As a sheet metal worker (SMWIA local 66) I use Midwest offsets exclusively. Used to use Wiss but I think the quality went down when Cooper Tools (I think) bought them. I do love my old time Wiss bull snips though!

MKIndustrial
06-06-2011, 04:36 AM
As a sheet metal worker (SMWIA local 66) I use Midwest offsets exclusively. Used to use Wiss but I think the quality went down when Cooper Tools (I think) bought them. I do love my old time Wiss bull snips though!

No using snips myself I on'y have the opinion of my customers to go off of many who are sheet metal HVAC workers and a large number of them like the Wiss brand. Seems to work for alot of guys..

ironfist
06-06-2011, 10:09 AM
I've always like Wiss brand, made in the USA.

+ 1 for wiss . Been using wiss for years , never had a problem them . Made in USA :beer:

robertwhite
06-06-2011, 10:11 AM
Used to use Wiss but I think the quality went down when Cooper Tools (I think) bought them. I do love my old time Wiss bull snips though!

Agree 100%. I have 4 pair of Wiss snips. 3 are old school from maybe 20-25 years ago. The other one is fairly new an is in no way as good as the rest, especially in the cutting surface.

Monte
06-06-2011, 10:14 AM
Nws.

A_Pmech
06-06-2011, 10:28 AM
Another vote for Midwest.

Sancho
06-06-2011, 11:29 AM
I have found wiss to be my goto, but I do own some midwest and bluebird snips from yesteryear that work really well.

djcrunkmix
06-06-2011, 06:05 PM
Nws. :bowdown:

Where could I buy these from? Do you know of any internet dealers in USA?

EDIT - I just answered myself. There is a thread dedicated to that here:
http://www.garagejournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=84753

nissan_crawler
06-07-2011, 04:07 AM
I like midwest.

dime
06-07-2011, 04:10 AM
another vote for wiss here. they are my go to shears.

catfish
06-07-2011, 04:15 AM
Had to borrow a pair of stanley ones at work today , i left my wiss at home.
They were garbage , stay away.

Avgas
06-07-2011, 04:47 AM
Nws.

:rolleyes2

Every thread I visit there you are suggesting these european made tools, seems like you go out of your way to do so, you probably never held a pair or nws shears...

Listen to the man who uses them everyday ^^^

Monte
06-07-2011, 05:20 AM
:rolleyes2
Every thread I visit there you are suggesting these european made tools, seems like you go out of your way to do so, you probably never held a pair or nws shears...

Every thread I visit there you are suggesting these american made tools, seems like you go out of your way to do so, you probably never held a pair or american shears...

:D

Dirtdude180
06-07-2011, 10:28 AM
I have a lenox pair and like them alot. Never tried Wiss/ Midwest so I cannot compare. I agree stanley has horrible shears

VegasBruce
06-07-2011, 11:39 AM
I've been using Wiss for years. However the quality isn't as good as it was years ago, but I still find them better than most anything out there. I do take them out in the stoe to see how each pair feels, before I buy them.

ZRX61
06-07-2011, 11:44 AM
The kind sold by this guy:
http://www.tinmantech.com/

djcrunkmix
06-07-2011, 12:01 PM
Every thread I visit there you are suggesting these american made tools, seems like you go out of your way to do so, you probably never held a pair or american shears...

:D

Do you know of any other European companies that sell these shears? I've googled "Sheet metal shears made in germany" with no luck. haha... :bounce:

Like you, I am obsessed with German engineering (I live in America, but deal with German companies on a daily basis at work). Whenever you hear a German accented gentleman speak in a meeting, he has automatically got a leg up as far as technical competence is concerned. German accent is very authoritative in engineering :bowdown: and for a reason! These special breed of humans are passionate about engineering.

Some of the American stuff is equally good, but there are a lot of cheapies on the market these days. Used to be made in USA and now outsourced to China and Vietnam.

Chris Jones
06-30-2012, 01:43 PM
I love the Widwest brand. My Wiss snips cut excellent for the price. But don't forget Klenk brand. Klenk, a German immigrant, invented the aviation snip, and is still in business today. Everyone at our company used to use them because they offer a model with a longer handle, slightly longer blades, and superior cut. They have fallen out of favor ONLY because they are a little expensive, and have to be ordered online. (For us anyway. There's no retailers that sell them in the Boston North shore area that I know of) .
Once again though. I love my Midwest offset snips and my Midwest tongs.
Homo Depot is selling the new Milwaukee brand snips. They look like garbage and are made in China.
As far as my opinion of Harbor Freight Tools. Not to be confused with Harbor Tools, who have been around forever and sell quality tools. It's a good place to buy work gloves, magnets, Tennis racket size fly tazers, and......ummmm.....Ya, I think that's it. Oh! Their $2.00 large, flat-head screwdriver is perfect for cutting duct. Holds up too!

Chris Jones
06-30-2012, 01:47 PM
I'v been thinking about Lenox snips. They look well made. I'll waite for someone else to be the guinea pig on those before I buy.

Outlawmws
06-30-2012, 02:28 PM

Agree 100%. I have 4 pair of Wiss snips. 3 are old school from maybe 20-25 years ago. The other one is fairly new an is in no way as good as the rest, especially in the cutting surface.

Listen to the man who uses them everyday ^^^

I have to agree, new Wiss is not what it used to be. (which is why I keep buying the older snips at yard sales and such...) I've never used any Midwest, but have never heard anyone say anything negative about them...

metaldad
06-30-2012, 04:49 PM
I'v been thinking about Lenox snips. They look well made. I'll waite for someone else to be the guinea pig on those before I buy.

They sure look purdy.
I use snips alot.
I do have Lenox's left, rights, straights.
They do not seem to open far enough, and using them on a project hurt my hands. I finished the job with the other set I had in the box, which are Midwest.
In addition - Midwest - USA.
Lenox - china

tpolley
06-30-2012, 05:44 PM
When I joined local 2 they said wiss has the best aviation snips and Midwest has the best offset snips. They also said no matter what brand you buy you only get about 6 months of normal every day use out of them.

I bought a 3 pack of wiss' at home dept for $30. greens, red's, and yellow's. I also bought wiss bull snips, then I went to true value and bought Midwest offset snips, greens, and reds for $18 each.

I gotta say I don't like wiss aviation snips. They try to slip out when you're cutting. I may try a different brand when they wear out. The Midwest offset snips are bad ass.

Outlawmws
06-30-2012, 06:03 PM
When I joined local 2 they said wiss has the best aviation snips and Midwest has the best offset snips. They also said no matter what brand you buy you only get about 6 months of normal every day use out of them.

I bought a 3 pack of wiss' at home dept for $30. greens, red's, and yellow's. I also bought wiss bull snips, then I went to true value and bought Midwest offset snips, greens, and reds for $18 each.

I gotta say I don't like wiss aviation snips. They try to slip out when you're cutting. I may try a different brand when they wear out. The Midwest offset snips are bad ass.

Is the metal slipping, or is it folding over? If the latter tighten up the jaw pivot bold slightly. if the former, there is a special file you can get to re-cut the "teeth" so they don't slip... (if you have had them resharpened this step may have been skipped)

Monte
06-30-2012, 06:54 PM
these from Bessey are my favourites
http://img5.fotos-hochladen.net/uploads/zeug015jkx0gs3m51.jpg

ash95608
06-30-2012, 06:58 PM
http://www.german-hand-tools.com/nws-tinsnips.html

Do you know of any other European companies that sell these shears? I've googled "Sheet metal shears made in germany" with no luck. haha... :bounce:

Like you, I am obsessed with German engineering (I live in America, but deal with German companies on a daily basis at work). Whenever you hear a German accented gentleman speak in a meeting, he has automatically got a leg up as far as technical competence is concerned. German accent is very authoritative in engineering :bowdown: and for a reason! These special breed of humans are passionate about engineering.

Some of the American stuff is equally good, but there are a lot of cheapies on the market these days. Used to be made in USA and now outsourced to China and Vietnam.

tpolley
06-30-2012, 07:41 PM
Is the metal slipping, or is it folding over? If the latter tighten up the jaw pivot bold slightly. if the former, there is a special file you can get to re-cut the "teeth" so they don't slip... (if you have had them resharpened this step may have been skipped)

the sheet metal is slipping. They're only a few months old. The serration is still in good shape. It could just be my method, but I don't have that problem with my Midwest offsets.

http://i48.tinypic.com/2qizcqx.jpg