View Full Version : What are you doing to keep spiders out of your garage?

Dave88LX
08-01-2007, 02:24 PM
I swear every time I turn around I have new spiders/spiderwebs! Ants too. I've done an "OK" job at best keeping the ants out...but these damn spiderwebs!:shocking:

arbee
08-01-2007, 03:44 PM
Driving me nuts too. Ants not so much. Hope someone has a solution.

JMURiz
08-01-2007, 03:48 PM
Only way to get rid of them is to get rid of all the air-flow...they seem to like anyplace that has a breeze, so make sure the garage is well sealed, that's about all I can think of. I have the problems as well. I went crazy with some expanding foam the other weekend and that helped some.

SteveL
08-01-2007, 03:58 PM
The only thing that has worked for me is to seal all the cracks and crevices well. Doors and windows caulked and overhead door bottom seal replaced. If they can't get in, you've won half the battle. Then I spray every couple of months around any entry point with stuff that will kill just about anything short of your kids and pets.:shocking:

I use to get a lot of mice in my attic during the winter until I drywalled the walls and ceiling in the garage and caulked all the little openings that the little buggers could get through.

I still get the occassional spider, but the shop vac takes care of them pretty quickly. Oh, and since my garage is heated and air conditioned I don't leave the overhead door open very much.

Charles (in GA)
08-01-2007, 07:58 PM
The spray I use is something I get at a Do-It-Yourself Pest Control place. Its called DemonWP (the wp stands for wettable powder) and you put the pillow packs in the sprayer with water and shake and spray. Excellent spray for the house and where ever, kills all common insects and in my house works three years or so. I use it double strength in the shop to kill spiders (doubled per package instructions for spiders) and get a year or so out of it. I've been in the cleaning and moving and sweeping and blowing and mopping process for about three weeks now. Gotta finish up so I can spray. Encountered a large black widow on a web the other day and one baby. The white droppings from spiders are a mess and corrosive to metals too.

Charles

adams77
08-01-2007, 08:09 PM
The white droppings from spiders are a mess and corrosive to metals too.

Charles

Oh my Gosh you must have big spiders...........I have never actually seen a spider dropping before!

william
08-01-2007, 08:42 PM
I have almost given up on keeping them out. I have my house and garage sprayed every 3 months by profesionals. It keeps them in check but doesn't get rid of them. I have also been finding allot of black widows. Most of them are dead when I find them though. Hopefully someone will have the magic formula for these pests!!

Charles (in GA)
08-01-2007, 09:25 PM
Oh my Gosh you must have big spiders...........I have never actually seen a spider dropping before!

Not sure if its droppings, or the chemical they produce to help disolve/digest their kill, but it leaves thousands of pin head sized white drops/spots in the area where their web/nest is located. Along with a general mopping, I've been having to focus on these areas, under toolboxes, workbenches, anything they can get under, out of sight. I've been careful to use gloves when moving stuff, wouldn't want a brown recluse bite!

Charles

heavychevy454ss
08-01-2007, 09:51 PM
Every now & then, I'll get a wild hair & set off some spray bombs in the shop. Seems to knock the population back for awhile.

BlueZero
08-01-2007, 10:06 PM
I have used some Ortho Home Defense MAX, and it seems to work pretty good. I just need to do a better job of spraying it everywhere. The apartment complex I lived in for about 3 years would have a professional come every spring and fall to spray out side the building. Never once did I have a spider in my apartment or garage.

rburge58
08-02-2007, 10:21 AM
Check this website http://store.doyourownpestcontrol.com.
I have the same problems with spiders as you and have used Demon.
Cyper and Cynoff are cheaper and have the same percentage active ingrediant as Demon. I thinik next time I will try either Cyper or Cynoff.
All three have a residual of about 2 to 3 months and it does work.

Richard

KELLHAMMER
08-02-2007, 10:36 AM
Not sure it works on spiders. But I remeber reading Borax is good for killing certain insects.
I have also seen the white droppings on my porch and never knew were they were from. Then I was watch animal planet and they mentioned something about droppings, I was like ah hah!!!

RPH
08-02-2007, 03:03 PM
Borax is used for ants.

sjsfire
08-02-2007, 04:49 PM
I have used some Ortho Home Defense MAX, and it seems to work pretty good. I just need to do a better job of spraying it everywhere. The apartment complex I lived in for about 3 years would have a professional come every spring and fall to spray out side the building. Never once did I have a spider in my apartment or garage.

I use the same stuff. Best I've found for spiders so far. You have to keep up on it though.

z28toz06
08-02-2007, 06:05 PM
spiders will be found where ever there is a little airflow and other bugs. remove their food source and they will go way.

Kong
08-02-2007, 06:17 PM
Make sure you go around the outside of the garage and any fences or trees nearby and get rid of their egg sacs. They look like small cocoons. They hold hundreds of tiny spiders. If you don't get rid of them you are fighting a losing battle.

KongBastard

shocksystems
08-02-2007, 07:10 PM
The spray I use is something I get at a Do-It-Yourself Pest Control place. Its called DemonWP (the wp stands for wettable powder) and you put the pillow packs in the sprayer with water and shake and spray. Excellent spray for the house and where ever, kills all common insects and in my house works three years or so. I use it double strength in the shop to kill spiders (doubled per package instructions for spiders) and get a year or so out of it. I've been in the cleaning and moving and sweeping and blowing and mopping process for about three weeks now. Gotta finish up so I can spray. Encountered a large black widow on a web the other day and one baby. The white droppings from spiders are a mess and corrosive to metals too.

Charles

Black Widows. Wow. Speaking as a New England boy, the spiders we usually see are small around here. Hard to even imagine spiders like that in my house or garage. Consequently spiders are really not much of a concern, they are little and kill flying insects. :thumbup:

Cheers!

Jim M

thefairlaneman
08-02-2007, 10:20 PM
I took some seven dust and sprinkled it along the entire base board and have seen few spiders since then. I have seen a mouse but I figure he can fend for himself as long as he doesnt try to nest in my restoration fairlane project

Iron-Iceberg
08-02-2007, 10:46 PM
We have Black Widdows all the time. Got one yesterday was the size of a cherry. They are everywhere. under the deck, under the house, woodpile, shed. I use the bombs but Ill take any advice.
I know to watch out for them but Id Hate to have one of the kids get bit.

thefairlaneman
08-02-2007, 11:46 PM
Sounds like an investation. In this case I would call a pro.

mikeyr
08-04-2007, 01:35 AM
I am always looking for more spiders to get into my garage, but with 3 spiders in a 2 car garage, I can't fit another one :) :) :)

Unless I get another lift, then I could store 4 but the wifey has issues with that at this time.

wilbilt
08-04-2007, 09:26 AM
I don't have much of a spider problem, because the wasps keep them down...:(

jfelbab
08-04-2007, 11:33 PM
I've had great success with SpiderNot. I picked it up at an Ace hardware.

No more spiders, and no more webs. Seems to last for nearly a year.

http://www.nottproducts.com/spidernot/spiderkiller.htm
http://www.nottproducts.com/spidernot/spidernot.jpg

bmwpower
08-05-2007, 12:15 AM
I'm thinking of going with a professional. Mainly because I have bees, wasps, bats, mice, spiders, ants and all kind of crap in and around my house.

The guy came out today to take a look. For those who have a pro come out on a repetitive basis or under yearly contract, how much are you paying? This guy wanted $400+/yr. He said they come out 3-4x a year for checkup, but if I want them to come out anytime during the year, I just give them a call. Is the price on par or not?

bluesman2a
08-05-2007, 03:42 AM
You know, I remember thinking earlier when I saw this post, what's wrong with some spiders in the shop?

Well then this evening, as I was putting up the last of my lights, I spied with my little eye the biggest friggen spider I can remember!!! It's abdomen was about the size of a quarter, he was brown, and FAST. Unlike most spiders he came AT me, rather than away. I swear that sum-beyotch growled at me and kept coming until one of my trusty Crocs sent him to spider-heavem!!! I don't know what Brown Recluses look like, but we have them pretty bad down here, and they have a NASTY bite!

Normally I'm a live and let live kind of guy but the idea of something like that coming at me when I'm on my back under my truck just gets me all puckered up.

Time for a little research and a call to the pros.

thefairlaneman
08-05-2007, 11:47 PM
The brown recluse is also common to my area. Its leg span is no wider than a quarter and has a destitive mark on its back. The large spider described sounds like a wolf spider which get that big and also common, and harmless. The black widow bite is not as bad as the brown recluse but both very serious.Brown recluse spiders dont make webs and like to hide in rubbish and OLD CLOTHS and ambush their victums...

V-10 Killer
08-06-2007, 12:26 AM
I'd just like to thank y'all for giving me yet another reminder why I live in Michigan.

Anyway, I sincerely hope you find a cure to your problem.

bigjon
08-06-2007, 06:58 AM
Anything with the active ingredient Bifenthrin will do a good job on controlling spiders, ants & even termites. It's the main product used over here in Aus for commercial pest control operators. I spray my house & shed with this every quarter and it makes a huge difference in spider and ant populations. It's a safe product when used according to label.

jdav7
08-23-2007, 06:29 AM
I just use the plain old glue boards. I have use them for several years now and they seem to keep my garage pretty much bug free. They don't have nasty chemicals in them like sprays do. I cut them in two and place them on the floor at all the door openings. It is amazing how many critters they catch. And to think where they would be if you didn't have the boards down! I leave them open flat, but if you have a pet, be sure to fold them up into a tube shape to keep them from getting stuck to their tails. You can buy them by the case (72) for $20-30 off ebay. A case lasts me a couple of years.

safetyfast
08-23-2007, 07:37 AM
I'm thinking of going with a professional. Mainly because I have bees, wasps, bats, mice, spiders, ants and all kind of crap in and around my house.

The guy came out today to take a look. For those who have a pro come out on a repetitive basis or under yearly contract, how much are you paying? This guy wanted $400+/yr. He said they come out 3-4x a year for checkup, but if I want them to come out anytime during the year, I just give them a call. Is the price on par or not?

I pay $35 a visit, and he only does it the months I request. He just calls each month to see if we need spraying.

cadaver
08-23-2007, 12:38 PM
The brown recluse is also common to my area. Its leg span is no wider than a quarter and has a destitive mark on its back. The large spider described sounds like a wolf spider which get that big and also common, and harmless. The black widow bite is not as bad as the brown recluse but both very serious.Brown recluse spiders dont make webs and like to hide in rubbish and OLD CLOTHS and ambush their victums...

I don't mind the spiders, except the brown recluse. I work in a hospital lab and have seen some very lg divots cut off of people because of the recluse. If theres a web, I don't worry about it, just break out the leaf blower and blow'em out the door or step on them. The little lizards keep the bug population down in my garage.

malibu101
08-23-2007, 01:35 PM
I don't mind the spiders, except the brown recluse. I work in a hospital lab and have seen some very lg divots cut off of people because of the recluse. ..............

Yes.
A brown recluse-(BR) bit me last year. Long story short, they're not real common around here. Went to doctor. Doctor was not sure what he was looking at. Reffered to a dermatologist. Said most likely a BR bite. Was infected. All this took a few days. Ended with a surgeon cutting out a divot in my upper leg to remove the infection and necrotic tissue.
I caught a BR (confirmed) on an old car I was parting out right as soon as I had the diagnosis.
I have a vengance to kill every spider I come across.

red caddy
08-23-2007, 02:36 PM
Shortly after my shop was dryed in I found I had spider/mouse problem. I took a walk in a rough lot, found a big female blacksnake, and moved her in to the back shop. we occasionally scare the hell out of each other, but the mouse problem is no more, and she's happily living under the jetwash cabinet. When the mice thinned out, some lizzards moved in and solved the spider/ant/roach problem,although having one skitter up your leg when lyin' on a creeper is a suprise !!! Now if I could just find something that eats wasps, I'd have it made. Putting up 2 bat houses this weekend, that may help with the wasps and skeeters... RED

Deltarat
08-23-2007, 05:10 PM
An insecticide called Lorsban will keep the wasps away. I don't know if it kills them or just runs them off. Either way you don't have any. You may have to get if from an Ag. chemical company. Dursban is a weaker version, used for fleas in the dog yard. The Lorsban smells kind of bad for a few days, but it will last for months. It will get your spiders,roaches and other bugs also. Helps on the skeeters too.

cadaver
08-23-2007, 05:32 PM
I don't mind wasps as long as they are not near doorways or windows. They help keep the bugs (the ones that eat food I am trying to grow) in the garden in check. If they are near a doorway I have no mercy. Very cool on the snake...bet that would startle you even more if it made a move up your leg while on the creeper. Bat houses are on my to do list also.

Rustyd02359
08-26-2007, 06:10 PM
How bout our freind in the insurance buisness? The Gecko!! He can climb all over inside.:rocker:

03whitegt
09-01-2007, 01:17 PM
Hi all... Just bought my first house this year located in Midlothian Texas. We're on 3/4 acre and have a big field out back. I have the worse Wolf spider problem. Theres not a night that goes by that I dont kill 1-2 everytime I go out into the garage for a smoke. I know they are harmless, but if you know abything about wolf spiders,,, they get FREAKING HUGE and are really fast...

I HATE SPIDERS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :rocketwho

Pops
09-01-2007, 08:34 PM
I HATE SPIDERS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :rocketwho

Me too! Some good info in this thread - I'll be trying some of the suggestions.

Thanks,

J.

RacerX
09-01-2007, 09:53 PM
Flame Thrower or propane torch

chicane
02-02-2008, 04:56 PM
I found a Black Widow spider in my garage today. Needless to say I won't be leaving my shoes in the garage anymore. I have a project car in my garage that is wide open and the garage itself is not air tight.

Are there traps or anything that I can buy that will keeps these poisonous spiders from invading my garage? I know I need to seal my garage up what can I do for any gaps around the doors?

nissan_crawler
02-02-2008, 05:35 PM
I use a spray I get at lowe's made by bayer. It keeps the population down quite well. It's pet/human safe once dry, I do my house with it also. It made a huge difference, and my cats haven't mutated yet.

If all that fails, this works wonders:
http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f56/chevyman_57/DSC00688.jpg
:wtf:

FlameOut
02-02-2008, 05:37 PM
I remember watching a documentary about spiders (Probably on the Discovery Channel) and they said no matter where you are, you are no more than 8' away from a spider (I'm guessing they weren't including the oceans or other bodies of water)

Unless they were just referring to how may spiders are on the Earth, and on average there is one for every 8 sq ft?

I know a couple of times a year, I'll go around my house with the vacuum cleaner, sucking them up. There are times I'll see dozens of really small baby spiders on my ceiling and corners where the walls meet the ceilings

goodfellow
02-02-2008, 06:27 PM

I wouldn't be in such a hurry to get rid of everything. In my old shop, when the bats moved into the storage shed next to the garage, there was a noticeable drop in mosquitos and other flying vermin. Honey bees are always welcome in the out buildings. I've had one nest removed professionally from an old house I lived in. They relocated the entire hive. I didn't want to kill the bees, because they do more good than harm, and they are slowly becoming an endangered species.

jay50
02-02-2008, 06:40 PM
I swear every time I turn around I have new spiders/spiderwebs! Ants too. I've done an "OK" job at best keeping the ants out...but these damn spiderwebs!:shocking:

Well, just be a He-man and get after them with shop air and a can of carb cleaner if they really upset you.... Spiders need to live too...your shop is their home:beer:

mikester
02-02-2008, 09:35 PM
Brown recluse spiders are making their way up north. My wife is an ER nurse and she has had 3 guys come in in the past year with bites. One guy was carrying a 2x6 out of the local Home Depot on his shoulder and one bit him. Seems they are coming up north with things delivered from down south. They had a guy that got a bite looking for his golfball in the rough at a course next to a new group of houses. Not a good thing.

Merkava_4
02-02-2008, 10:15 PM
I just read this entire thread and not one mention of the Daddy-Long-Leg spider; don't you guys have those around? They are everywhere on my property. They're a real skinny spider and harmless to humans because they can't bite through the skin. They make webs everywhere!

There's black widow spiders around here too; they don't like the light so I keep them out of the garage by keeping one of the overhead florescent lights on 24/7.

hypnotoad
02-03-2008, 01:06 AM
If you go to a do it yourself pest control store, ask for Cy-Kick. Mix it up in a garden sprayer according to the label. This will kill spiders, wasps, ants, roaches and other insects. It has a good residual. We grow spiders Really BIG down here in Fl. Wolf spiders are big, but check out the Huntsmen. They get as big as your hand.

CraigFL
02-03-2008, 06:39 AM

Charles

This is what I use here in Florida and I can say it works and works for a long time! It has NO odor. Spray around windows, door openings, base and corners and it lasts for 6+ months...

Palf
02-03-2008, 08:53 AM
I have a pest control for the house, and when they come out they also treat around the shop. About 3 times a year I set off some bombs in the shop and it seems to keep things under control.

All the remedies I could buy never seemed to help till I asked the pest control folks to include the shop. Now it's as good as you can get in our insect heaven environment down here.

Z07coupe
02-03-2008, 05:55 PM
I don't mean to upset anyone, but my bug man said the brown recluse spider does not make a web. I had numerous spiders including the brown recluse in certain areas of my home. He sprayed around the edges of the rooms, but we caught many in spider traps. You need to be in the business to purchase the type of trap he used, but they are simply glue traps. You can find something similar at the hardware store. Not Walmart, but a good old fashioned hardware store. The one I have seen are larger than needed, so they can be cut in half. Place them on the floor touching the wall. this is where they run. If not against the wall, you will miss most of them. Since they are not poisonous, they won't hurt your pets or kids. But it sure did piss of the cat, but only once. The glue is so good, that I even found a dead mouse in one in the garage. If I'm not mistaken, the brown recluse only 'defends itself' when it is compressed against you. It's not like the movie and they go after you. Good luck !

Abodyracer
02-03-2008, 06:22 PM
If you have shrubs or hedges against your house/shop remove them. also try to keep trees trimmed back.

jay50
02-03-2008, 06:28 PM
I don't mean to upset anyone, but my bug man said the brown recluse spider does not make a web. I had numerous spiders including the brown recluse in certain areas of my home. He sprayed around the edges of the rooms, but we caught many in spider traps. You need to be in the business to purchase the type of trap he used, but they are simply glue traps. You can find something similar at the hardware store. Not Walmart, but a good old fashioned hardware store. The one I have seen are larger than needed, so they can be cut in half. Place them on the floor touching the wall. this is where they run. If not against the wall, you will miss most of them. Since they are not poisonous, they won't hurt your pets or kids. But it sure did piss of the cat, but only once. The glue is so good, that I even found a dead mouse in one in the garage. If I'm not mistaken, the brown recluse only 'defends itself' when it is compressed against you. It's not like the movie and they go after you. Good luck !

Yeah, I heard the same about the BR not making a web. It likes dark areas in closets and clothing items. Makes you want to check your pockets before putting on the trousers...

g17jimmy
02-03-2008, 06:57 PM
I haven't seen many BR's around my house, but you can go anywhere in my yard and pickup a brick/rock and find a Black Widow. I've used this around my house and it has kept them out of my crawl space-

http://www.homedefensemax.com/scotts-sites/ortho-hdm/index.cfm?event=product

Also does a good job with ants and other crawly critters. I haven't had the garage set up long enough to have spiders in there.

JB740i
02-03-2008, 07:49 PM
If you have shrubs or hedges against your house/shop remove them. also try to keep trees trimmed back.

What's the phrase? Better nuke em from orbit just to be sure?

6768rogues
02-03-2008, 08:25 PM
For some reason, your garage must be attractive to spiders. I wonder why.

CraigFL
02-04-2008, 06:39 AM
Most people around here that are bitten by a BR spider were out in their yard crawling around on the ground...

malibu101
02-04-2008, 08:52 AM
Most people around here that are bitten by a BR spider were out in their yard crawling around on the ground...
Yep. I made a post back when this thread originally appeared about my Brown Recluse bite. Anyway, I was crawling around on the ground under an old car that had been sitting awhile. I noticed many odd looking (odd looking to me anyway) spiders. I didn't care as spiders never really bothered me.
Dermatologist told me (last fall) he was seeing up to 4 BR bites a week when he saw almost none only a year or two ago. I guess I'm lucky that no tarantulas have shown up in my area yet.

autoclassicnut
04-27-2008, 09:12 PM
interesting read... We have black widows in Montana, more by late summer, usually around wood piles and under rocks or abandoned ground sqirrel holes. When my son was younger we went out and collected aver 20 BWs in a jar in less than a half hour, He brought them to school for the teacher to show the class,
Probably be considered a terrorist act now...

FunfDreisig
04-27-2008, 09:34 PM
spiders will be found where ever there is a little airflow and other bugs. remove their food source and they will go way.Exactly. Be glad you have spiders. If you didn't, you'd have their food source to deal with :)

FWIW we have a spider that lives behind the wall mounted portion of our mini-split heat pump. We tidy up her web after she gets sloppy and leaves too many empty exoskeletons hanging about. She rebuilds it in a few hours and she's back in business catching those pesky little flying bugs that get in the cabin when we leave the barn doors open to enjoy the weather :)

Funf Dreisig

p.s. I was bitten by a Brown Recluse a few years ago (confirmed by an MD). I was lucky. I only have a very small discolored patch on skin on my thigh to show for the excitement. My philosophy is: getting along with the potential bad boys in nature (e.g. spiders, snakes, cougars, etc.) is learning how to ID them and understanding their habitats/behavior. And then leaving them to do their thing, unless they seriously encroach I me doing mine.

milkovich
04-28-2008, 12:27 PM
Flame Thrower or propane torch

I drug a barn find into the garage one time, by morning it looked like it had a silk skirt all the way around it or it was one of those lowriders with the cotton balls underneath. Since then I've been "Flame blasting" cars that have sat a while before I start stuffing my hands in there.

I also like to blast under the tool boxes or building materials every once in a while. Webs are pretty flamable but damn, it sure is a fun way to kill an afternoon and I love the little "pop" they make when you really hit them with the heat.

I've found the best way to keep them out is to clean regularly. I don't blow down the walls that often but I sweep the floor out like I have OCD (tires are expensive).

comp
04-28-2008, 01:26 PM
Exactly. Be glad you have spiders. If you didn't, you'd have their food source to deal with :)

FWIW we have a spider that lives behind the wall mounted portion of our mini-split heat pump. We tidy up her web after she gets sloppy and leaves too many empty exoskeletons hanging about. She rebuilds it in a few hours and she's back in business catching those pesky little flying bugs that get in the cabin when we leave the barn doors open to enjoy the weather :)

Funf Dreisig

p.s. I was bitten by a Brown Recluse a few years ago (confirmed by an MD). I was lucky. I only have a very small discolored patch on skin on my thigh to show for the excitement. My philosophy is: getting along with the potential bad boys in nature (e.g. spiders, snakes, cougars, etc.) is learning how to ID them and understanding their habitats/behavior. And then leaving them to do their thing, unless they seriously encroach I me doing mine.

been nailed 3 times by them SOB's :shoot5::shoot5::shoot5:

D KRAGER
04-28-2008, 01:42 PM
Product called Tempo SC. Is safe to spray indoors, has no odor and controls a wide array of different pests. It has a fast knock down and residual control for up to 30 days. I spray around the foundation of the house. Also inside and out of the garage. Works pretty well if you spray every month......

http://www.doyourownpestcontrol.com/spec/pick-tempotub.htm.

dawg
04-28-2008, 01:46 PM
see this post for your answer
http://www.garagejournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=17579

thefairlaneman
04-28-2008, 02:40 PM
I use sevin dust , Sprinkle it around all of the base boards.seems to work

comp
04-28-2008, 04:05 PM
kill their food and they go away

autoclassicnut
04-29-2008, 12:04 AM
We bought a 2 gallon jug of Ortho Home defense last year. Usable inside and out, sprayer attached DIY. only need to use it once a year here in the north, put down some glue strips in the basement and along the walls in the garage, they'll let you know if you should spray again. Works great!

Dave88LX
10-14-2008, 11:49 AM
Time to revisit this thread!

http://www.dave88lx.com/gallery/albums/userpics/10002/spider.jpg

wantedabiggergarage
10-14-2008, 12:11 PM
I had a semi-relative who was an exterminator (extended family). He died, and things got whacky for a while (dropped off a couple of boards for a while do to it), he was raising his grandkids due to his daughter having drug issues.
She cleaned up, got custody of her kids.

Back to this. My parents had tons of spiders in their new house a few years ago. He said, "you have wood mulch around the house, don't you", we got rid of the mulch, and it got rid of 95% of the spiders.

akdiesel
10-14-2008, 07:46 PM
This is why I live up here. We have bugs but not like those damn things.
Not sure if it works for spiders but I get a the old coffee grounds and sprinkle them in the grass around the house for the ants. This works great. Plus it is not a chemical and does not make a mess.

Dave88LX
10-14-2008, 09:35 PM
I think I might have some mulch one one side of the garage. I actually want to re-landscape and do crushed stone instead. I am next to the woods though, so I've got spiders and spiderwebs everywhere.

Distinctive-Garages.com
10-14-2008, 09:57 PM
the first 3 weeks of cool nights as we head into fall up here in NJ, I had daily one or two penny sized hairy suckers near the threshold of my garage dors inside and out. Used some Home Defense and starting the next day the daily finds were dead, but in same locations. Where it got interesting was the one I decided to step on and HUNDREDS of baby's the size of a pin head went scattering EVERYWHERE. I think I got most of them but it was a 360 degree ripple of baby spiders...nasty. It was not that bright in the garage or I would have noticed the baby backback on the mother and got rid of it a different way.

Bottom line is that you will never completely get rid of them. For me atleast they are mostly in the corners and stay confined to a small area. Just clean up the spot once every few weeks and your good til next time. Not a big problem for me.

For the guy is Md. with the Tarantula-looking spider on the semi-wet epoxy...that isn't really a wild spider you found in your garage, is it? I'm not more than 2 hours from you and I spend alot of time in the woods and have never seen that in the Northeast.

Galvatron
10-14-2008, 10:18 PM
It's not so much the size of a spider that frightens me. It's the characteristics of a species. At my last house I was constantly battling the Hobo spider. It's a nasty poisonous spider and the worst part is that it is cunning and aggressive. I remember walking into rooms and turning on the light to spot one. As soon as I would see him I would freeze and so would he. As I would slowly approach he would kind of crouch down and slowly walk backwards towards the nearest shadow or crack. They are about 2" legspan on the bigger ones. I could spot these suckers running across the floor with all the lights off but the TV. They were quick too. They could cover 10' in about 2 seconds. I got bit in my sleep more than a few times at that house. I've recently seen a few in my garage at our newest house. October was always the worst month for the Hobos. I never had a fear of spiders until I met the Hobo. It's an easy spider to identify because of the big hairy fangs on it's face.
http://www.termiguardusa.com/Hobo-Spider.jpg

boiler7904
10-14-2008, 10:20 PM
I haven't seen many BR's around my house, but you can go anywhere in my yard and pickup a brick/rock and find a Black Widow. I've used this around my house and it has kept them out of my crawl space-

http://www.homedefensemax.com/scotts-sites/ortho-hdm/index.cfm?event=product

Also does a good job with ants and other crawly critters. I haven't had the garage set up long enough to have spiders in there.

I use that too. They have a granular version that I use along the entire perimeter of the foundation and then the liquid where I have to cross hard surfaces like the driveway, front sidewalk, patio, and the doorway between the house and garage. Good thing about it is that it is pet safe once it dries.

Dave88LX
10-14-2008, 10:34 PM
For the guy is Md. with the Tarantula-looking spider on the semi-wet epoxy...that isn't really a wild spider you found in your garage, is it? I'm not more than 2 hours from you and I spend alot of time in the woods and have never seen that in the Northeast.Well, I can say with certainty he's not my pet spider Frankie that I decided to throw down into just-laid-down fresh tacky epoxy flooring for a photo op.:spit:

I've heard it might just be a Wolf Spider. I'm not an Octoanthrowhatever, so I couldn't tell you what it really is.

Dave88LX
10-14-2008, 10:39 PM
I should dig up the pictures of the stuff I found scurrying around my garage floor in Texas! I was standing my my workbench one night and saw this black thing scurry up to my foot. At first glance I thought it was a mouse, until I looked down, and this fat hairy Tarantula was standing right next to my foot.

Another night, I was working on my Mustang up on jack stands, and I was under it on a creeper. See this little bugger come hauling ass across the concrete at me. I was luckily able to move out from under the car and throw a rag over it and get some pics of it, it was a camel spider.

This isn't MY pic, but, this is the type of spider:

http://pestcommand.com/wp-content/uploads/2007/11/camel-spider.jpg

Also, had some kind of snake decide to head into my garage one night, we were able to get it out with a broom, I forget what kind it was.

porschedude996TT
10-15-2008, 08:16 AM
You know, I remember thinking earlier when I saw this post, what's wrong with some spiders in the shop?

Well then this evening, as I was putting up the last of my lights, I spied with my little eye the biggest friggen spider I can remember!!! It's abdomen was about the size of a quarter, he was brown, and FAST. Unlike most spiders he came AT me, rather than away. I swear that sum-beyotch growled at me and kept coming until one of my trusty Crocs sent him to spider-heavem!!! I don't know what Brown Recluses look like, but we have them pretty bad down here, and they have a NASTY bite!

Normally I'm a live and let live kind of guy but the idea of something like that coming at me when I'm on my back under my truck just gets me all puckered up.

Time for a little research and a call to the pros.

We have very few Brown Recluse in my area. They have a violin pattern on their top surface, see photo. I know of someone who was bitten by one while I was in Florida and it kills the flesh around the bite for some time. She suffered from it for a years or more.

That Camel Spider give me the willies...

DeMoss Motorsports
10-15-2008, 12:44 PM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brown_recluse_spider

Hope that link works for you guys, and yes brown recluse weave webs: [edit] Habitat
Recluse spiders build irregular webs that frequently include a shelter consisting of disorderly threads. These spiders frequently build their webs in woodpiles and sheds, closets, garages, plenum, cellars and other places that are dry and generally undisturbed. They seem to favor cardboard when dwelling in human residences, possibly because it mimics the rotting tree bark which they inhabit naturally. They also tend to be found in shoes, inside dressers, in bed sheets of infrequently used beds, in stacks of clothes, behind baseboards, behind pictures and near furnaces. The common source of human-recluse contact is during the cleaning of these spaces, when their isolated spaces are suddenly disturbed and the spider feels threatened. Unlike most web weavers, they leave these webs at night to hunt. Males will move around more when hunting with the female spiders tending to remain nearer to their webs.

All webs I have found that have BR's look like a tornado laying on its side. One very common way to keep spiders out of your living / working area is produced by nature, they are Hedge balls from a Hedge ball tree.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Osage-orange

I have a bathroom downstairs that has always been a problem with lots of different spiders in it. Its 10 x 12. 4 hedge balls on the floor in the corners, and presto no more spiders. I also use them in the camper as that is when we come in contact the most. I hope this helps you guys.

Jeff