View Full Version : How-To: Quiet a garage door opener

shantz
06-21-2011, 01:26 PM
Anyone have any ideas or experience in quieting down a garage door opener?

I find that it's quite loud in the room directly above the garage and I am looking for a way to dampen the opener or the door frame itself in attempt to reduce the noise.

Any insight or help appreciated!

Thanks

bluesman2a
06-21-2011, 02:13 PM
get a liftmaster 3800. quietest opener I've ever seen in my life.

jbs
06-21-2011, 03:03 PM
get a liftmaster 3800. quietest opener I've ever seen in my life.

x2. With "seen" being the operative word, because you will barely hear it.

larry_g
06-21-2011, 04:38 PM
Convert the chain to a belt drive if you have a chain drive. Local OHD place does that on new installs for the noise and maintenance issues. If you have a mainline opener the belt may be an option.

lg
no neat sig line

Jure
06-21-2011, 04:40 PM
Convert the chain to a belt drive if you have a chain drive. Local OHD place does that on new installs for the noise and maintenance issues. If you have a mainline opener the belt may be an option.

lg
no neat sig line

well said :beer:

nova65ss
06-21-2011, 04:48 PM
What kind of opener are we talking about here?

Falcon67
06-21-2011, 04:54 PM
I put in a Craftsman belt drive - very little noise.

Jack Olsen
06-21-2011, 05:04 PM
If it's a screw type, lubricate it like crazy.

The bigger problem is going to be the vibration from the motor (which you can isolate, somewhat) using the door itself as a kind of speaker.

wraptor
06-21-2011, 06:34 PM
Polypropylene (hi-tech polymer) "plastic" wheels make a huge reduction in noise on an O.H. door.

Chris Adams
06-21-2011, 06:40 PM
I have a screw drive, a Genie, and a Liftmaster 3800.
Both doors are new.

No comparison. You could put a gallon of grease on the Genie and tape all the metal it it would still make a 10 times more noise than the Liftmaster.

If the door is already properly set up, buy and install a cheap Liftmaster. Easy install, quiet, and makes lots more room in the center of the garage ceiling area.

That said, tape the metal, put cork/Styrofoam sheets above the garage door, use plenty of white grease on tracks all may help.

Stuart in MN
06-21-2011, 06:50 PM
Make sure the door hardware is lubricated. I'd think you could use some sort of rubber isolators to mount the lift motor to the ceiling, which may help reduce noise telegraphing upstairs.

nate379
06-21-2011, 06:58 PM
How often is the door opening and closing that it becomes an issue?

shantz
06-22-2011, 01:57 PM
It's a Chamberlain opener (I don't know specifically which one) but it's chain drive.

What about how the door frame attaches to the roof? Currently it's just attached with angle brackes directly to the roof joists (same with the opener)

I'll post model info later tonight.

MScott
06-22-2011, 03:15 PM
Noisy chain drive is the reason I got my garage doors dirt cheap. PO worked shift work and his daughter's bedroom was directly above the garage, so every night he would come in late and use the doors it woke her up. He decided to replace the doors and the openers with new belt drive system and sold me the doors, openers and hardware for a song.
Noise is not a problem for me, so his loss was my gain.:beer:

nova65ss
06-22-2011, 06:12 PM
It's a Chamberlain opener (I don't know specifically which one) but it's chain drive.

What about how the door frame attaches to the roof? Currently it's just attached with angle brackes directly to the roof joists (same with the opener)

I'll post model info later tonight.

It is possible to put some grommets or rubber between the attachment points and it may help a little. A beltdrive would help alot as they have done more internally inside the unit to isolate the noise.

Wingnut65
06-22-2011, 06:24 PM
Chain drive is usually the least expensive and the noisiest. Changing that out to anything else will cut the noise almost in half. I haven't heard a Liftmaster to compare, but my Genie screw lift is not that bad.

Agree with the other posts that noise on garage doors can be reduced by using Poly wheels, lubricating all the wheels, grease each and every door hinge on each panel. But, the chain will be noisy.

hoffmand
06-23-2011, 01:13 PM
I have this on my chain drive and it works well to minimize noise.

http://www.soundcontrol4less.com/rcisdco4x2garagedoormotorsilencer-p-156.html

I also have plastic rollers and the noise is only a faint hum in the bedroom above the garage.

slickgt1
06-23-2011, 04:04 PM
Good thread. How does one convert the chain to belt? I have a craftsman chain drive, and it is pissing me off. My tenants are above garage, and my daughter's room above that. I can hear it on the third floor.

Intel
06-23-2011, 04:18 PM
Grew up in a split level and my dad worked early morning shift and I worked the late shift. I put rubber circles on most of the mounting points for the garage door I used. Compared to the other door it is a ton quieter. These are just cheap chain drive units with big heavy wooden doors.

I believe I just found them at my local ace hardware. Cut down on the vibration which is most of the noise I feel.

nova65ss
06-23-2011, 04:42 PM
Good thread. How does one convert the chain to belt? I have a craftsman chain drive, and it is pissing me off. My tenants are above garage, and my daughter's room above that. I can hear it on the third floor.

You will need to buy an entirely new unit that is a beltdrive.

slickgt1
06-24-2011, 10:49 AM
You will need to buy an entirely new unit that is a beltdrive.

lol, well that sux. Not exactly what I was hoping for, but it seems I really don't have a choice here.

Chris Adams
06-24-2011, 12:28 PM
You know, reading this whole thread makes me wonder;
Did you determine what noise you are being annoyed by?

One of my doors makes a lot of clanking sounds, that is, as the panels move you can hear what sounds like metal hitting. That is my noisiest door, but it has more to do with the way the sheet metal moves than the motor. If you opened it manually it would make about 80% of the noise, thus changing the motor or drive would have little true effect.
That one is a screw drive. The screw drive was on the previous door, a very heavy swing door. The noise level went up dramatically when I replaced the door with a new sectional unit.

My point is, is it the sound of the door itself that is carrying? Or the chain noise? Or the motor running.

Probably only one of the three sounds is what is annoying you through a ceiling.
You should have someone open and close the door manually while you listen. Then run the motor with the door disconnected, before you invest.
A loud track won't be fixed by any drive change.

LeonardY
06-24-2011, 12:58 PM
Get some reinforced rubber strips. Or cut up an old tire. (Be careful the steel belts can cut you.) Three or four inches long. Punch a hole on each end of the strip. Hang the drive motor with them.
You can buy hanging isolation mounts at McMaster Carr.

737mechanic
09-02-2011, 03:06 PM
I just bought 2 new Genie excelerator garage door openers. They are screw drive. I had craftsman belt drive before that. My doors have always been very noisy but it was not from the openers. The doors themselves where not installed true. I finally bought these rollers from amazon.com (http://www.amazon.com/10---2-Inch-Nylon-Garage-Roller/dp/B003AKF4EE/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1314993722&sr=8-1) and adjusted my door rails so the door opens as true and striaght as possible and I can not hardly hear the door opening now.

If you want the fastest opening door possible get the Genie excelerator garage door opener. They open twice as fast as the normal garage door opener.

jdub63
09-02-2011, 05:21 PM
I would start by insulating the doors if they're not already, this helped ours alot. But if you want the ultimate quiet machine... get the liftmaster 3800.

synik
09-02-2011, 05:31 PM
I would start by insulating the doors if they're not already, this helped ours alot. But if you want the ultimate quiet machine... get the liftmaster 3800.

Correct. Insulate the doors, it will reduce or eliminate rattle from the thin sheets. (imagine hitting a drum, now imagine hitting a drum with foam filled inside of it.)
It will add weight to the doors, so the wheels wont bounce all over the place when opening and closing.

The garage door opener usually makes the a humming noise. 3800 liftmaster is very quiet. :thumbup:

Matt M, PA
09-02-2011, 07:42 PM
I just installed a pair of openers by Sommer. Very quiet indeed.

slickgt1
09-06-2011, 08:54 AM
I have this on my chain drive and it works well to minimize noise.

http://www.soundcontrol4less.com/rcisdco4x2garagedoormotorsilencer-p-156.html

I also have plastic rollers and the noise is only a faint hum in the bedroom above the garage.

Yea I bought this as well, only to realize that I need this for the tracks as well. Seems a bit expensive from this place for what it is. Shipping charges are absolutely nuts.

NitroPress
09-06-2011, 09:04 AM
I can add my vote for the LiftMaster 3800s. The original installation was two screw-drive LiftMasters on the most ridiculous angle-iron support structure I've ever seen - they needed a 4-foot drop from the ceiling so there was 200 pounds of iron bolted together to hold them. The whole thing resonated so badly all the neighbors knew when the doors went up and down. As the master is on top of the garage, I don't see how the POs put up with it.

I converted the doors to high-lift operation to clear lifts and replaced the screw-drives with direct-drive 3800s. The doors are good quality and insulated, and now the only sound you can hear outside the garage, even up in the MBR, is the slight thump of the wheels going around the curve.

I've had belt drive and other "quiet" linear GDOs, and none were anywhere near as quiet as these. Recommended. Plus they clear up the centerline of your garage ceiling...

treasureseeker
09-06-2011, 10:56 PM
You could spray foam the garage ceiling/bedroom floor

weegaz22
09-07-2011, 04:06 AM
as said find out if the noise is from the lift or door first, doors will do well with stuff like audio dynamat to reduce vibration/resonance, roofing flashing will do the same but 80% cheaper as its not a dedicated "audio" product.