View Full Version : Some odd brands of wrenches I found in my toolbox...

1320stang
09-12-2007, 08:30 AM
Most of these are offset double box ends.

From left to right:

11/16 Action combo wrench, reads "11/16 ACTION USA 2022A" stamped into it with a raised "M" turned 90^ to the right on the box end, back is blank. Looks cheap, I'm thinking import.

5/8 & 11/16 Westline double box end, reads "5/8 DWESTLINE H2244 11/16", the back "5/8 FORGED IN U.S.A. 11/16"

5/8 & 9/16 Artisan double box end, reads "5/8 A-R-T-I-S-A-N 9/16", the back "ALLOYSTEEL MADE IN U.S.A." On the 5/8 end, someone cut a portion out to make a line wrench and the other end was bent to about 90^ for maybe a distributor wrench, it broke on me trying to bend it back without heat, I welded it back last night and an pretty impressed with my work.

Last is a 7/16 & 3/8" Hinsdale double box end, reads "--7/16---HINS@DALE---3/8--", the back is blank. It has a round shaft and the @ symbol in the middle is really more like a circle inside a circle with a horizontal line thru the center circle.

http://www.supermotors.net/getfile/562541/fullsize/09-11-07_2129.jpg

philw
09-12-2007, 09:18 AM
I believe Action is an economy line of Thorsen tools. Probably from the late 60's-70's.
Never heard of Artisan. But there are still a few companies out there that seem to have been totally lost as far as info. I had found a ad for a ratchet made by Craft tool (looked similiar to an SK) that I had never heard of before. I have since also seen a wrench marked Craft but have no info on them except I believe they were located in Philadelphia (the address from the ad). I have also seen a wrench marked "Perfection" and have no clue who made it or if it was an actual short lived company.
Hinsdale is easy. They probably went under around the late 40's/early 50's. Check out this site for more info:
http://home.comcast.net/~alloy-artifacts/hinsdale-hindsight.html

The westline could be a western auto wrench. I know they sold Westcraft and Wizard. The alloy site has some info on the suppliers to Western auto also.

1320stang
09-12-2007, 09:56 AM
These were all given to me by my father in the mid 80's. The oilfield went bust and he had an auction at his shop, he handed me a tool box and told me to go thru the wooden boxes of tools and make myself complete sets and basically "get one of everything". I got two complete sets of 3/8" - 1" combo wrenches, one set I gave to a buddy when his garage got broken into and all his tools stolen, some 1/2" drive socket stuff, breakover, etc. I use the 11/16 combo when I can't find my Craftsman, and I use the Hinsdale because I like the feel of it, can't say I've ever used the other two.

wrenchr
09-12-2007, 10:00 AM
I have a ratchet that is made by Gambles..It was my Dad's, It has a SK style head with a craftsman style handle.

v8garage
09-12-2007, 02:45 PM
Last is a 7/16 & 3/8" Hinsdale double box end, reads "--7/16---HINS@DALE---3/8--", the back is blank. It has a round shaft and the @ symbol in the middle is really more like a circle inside a circle with a horizontal line thru the center circle.

http://www.supermotors.net/getfile/562541/fullsize/09-11-07_2129.jpg[/QUOTE]

The Hinsdale symbol is an H inside a circle. Probably just not very legible on the old wrench.

wilbilt
09-12-2007, 07:02 PM
Hinsdale is one I have never heard of. I do/did have some Action tools that were my grandfathers. They would have been bought early 1960s.

ColdDuckTime
09-12-2007, 07:17 PM
OK, I'll play.

VLCHEK (wtf?)
Superslim
Gedore (made in India...nothing but the best)
New Britain
Artisan

I thiiinnnk (not sure) I found the Gedore wrench underneath the back seat of a Boss 302 about 30 years ago. What a long strange trip it's been.

MAD
09-12-2007, 07:46 PM
OK, I'll play.

VLCHEK (wtf?)
Superslim
New Britain
Artisan

I thiiinnnk (not sure) I found the Gedore wrench underneath the back seat of a Boss 302 about 30 years ago. What a long strange trip it's been.

There is good info on VLCHEK and New Britain on the often linked to Alloy artifacts site.
http://home.comcast.net/~alloy-artifacts/index.html

TW Superslim wrenches were often supplied in factory tool kits that came with classic British sports cars.

I have seen some Gedore wrenches that were made in Germany. I have one that was made in South Africa.

Uncle Buck
09-12-2007, 08:01 PM
I have a couple old Hinsdale box wrenches, they look just like yours, I like the shape of the handle so they still get a bit of use. I am almost sure the Westline brand was a Western Auto version. As stated earlier, Alloy Artifacts will have all the poop for ya!

Jbullfrog
09-12-2007, 09:22 PM
OK, I'll play.

VLCHEK (wtf?)
Superslim
New Britain
Artisan

New Britain was the Napa Auto parts house brand and is still covered by the lifetime warranty at Napa stores nationwide. Most of the tools are now made be Danher and their K-D division.

VLCHEK is an older brand that used the "old country" spelling of the word.

Superslim is a trademark of JH Williams (division of Snap-On) I think

Artisan is an old company that went out of business long ago.

Willy Victor
09-12-2007, 10:35 PM
Anybody ever heard of Armstrong, Williams, Wright, Fairmount all made in the USA.

Willy

jerryW
09-13-2007, 07:44 AM
All good brands, well made tools. O would use any of those on a daily basia.

jerry

1320stang
09-13-2007, 08:30 AM
The Hinsdale symbol is an H inside a circle. Probably just not very legible on the old wrench.

Are the sides of the H curved to fit inside the circle? 'Cause that's sorta what it looked like, but I thought it was two complete circles.

http://www.supermotors.net/getfile/562857/fullsize/hinsdale.jpg

v8garage
09-13-2007, 09:09 PM
Are the sides of the H curved to fit inside the circle? 'Cause that's sorta what it looked like, but I thought it was two complete circles.

http://www.supermotors.net/getfile/562857/fullsize/hinsdale.jpg

That is it exactly, see the early wrenches in the attached pictures. As far as I can find out the last year the wrenches in the picture were made was 1929. The newer ones are plainer. I buy them when I find them at fleamarkets etc. Just because they are so cool looking. This is the most complete set I have. Bought them on e-bay. I have some others that are chrome but not a complete set. Now that the cat is out of the bag I guess the price will go up and I will have a lot more competition buying them LOL. Thats the way it was with plomb when I started buying them seems like everyone else did too.