View Full Version : Best "mop on" wax/sealer for VCT (Vinyl Composition) tile?

Jason B
10-04-2007, 03:02 AM
Anyone use anything they can mop on that gives a shine and LASTS? Can it be bought locally?

thrytis
10-04-2007, 08:18 AM
I can't give you the best since i've only used one, but i've used Armstrong Excelon. It is available at Lowes and Home Depot for about $20 gallon, which i've gotten about 1500 - 2000 sq out of a gallon. It gives a reasonable shine when applied with a mop, though not a mirror finish. As far as lasting, it looks like i'm getting around 3 months between adding a couple of coats.

OldCarGuy
10-04-2007, 10:13 AM
Most janitorial supply houses carry quality floor care products.

I always used Johnson Wax Products, their Professional Series on my Armstrong VCT garage floors. For best results all the old wax and dirt needs to be removed first. Using Johnsonís Professional Floor Stripper with my Low RPM 20Ē polisher with a red pad. Itís most important to rinse floor several times with clear water after stripping. After drying, then hand apply Johnsonís Professional Floor Finish (wax) with a mop. Once dried I bring out the High RPM 20Ē floor polisher using a white buffing pad, misting with Johnsonís Professional Maintenance Buffing Wax. In higher traffic areas, this spray buffing will bring out the luster between semi-annual or annual stripping. I always had floors that looked like Wallyís World. Itís a lot of work,, thatís why I went to epoxy floors.

SteveB
10-04-2007, 11:06 AM
That is a lot of work!

I use Armstrong S-480 Floor Polish applied with a sponge mop. I've applied it twice in 15 months, three coats each time. Depending on the ambient air temperature it usually takes about 30 minutes drying time between coats.

I've never used a polishing machine.

Next year I'll probably use a stripper (keep your minds out of the gutter). Good advice on your rinsing technique, thanks.

Jason B
10-04-2007, 11:27 AM
That is a lot of work!

I use Armstrong S-480 Floor Polish applied with a sponge mop. I've applied it twice in 15 months, three coats each time. Depending on the ambient air temperature it usually takes about 30 minutes drying time between coats.

I've never used a polishing machine.

Next year I'll probably use a stripper (keep your minds out of the gutter). Good advice on your rinsing technique, thanks.

Hmm, this sounds like it's pretty tough. I'd like somthing that is low maint. and gives a decent shine. Twice in 15 months sounds nice!!!

icnsltmfg
10-05-2007, 09:31 PM
After talking with the Armstrong Tech guy's, they suggested using either the Excelon or S-480 polish (The same basic product just where it is sold). Mop 5 coats on letting it dry at least 30 min in between coats. He even suggested starting the within a day after laying to help protect the finish. Buffing it would be great, but I don't think I will do it myself.