View Full Version : can I build a 30x30 for under $15K

BOTTLEDZ28
10-12-2007, 11:40 PM
want to build a 30x30 garage in my yard and want to know realisitcally, can it be done for around or under $15K? I have plenty of friends who will help and know carpenterty and I have been told there will be NO LABOR CHARGES to me at all. Ijust supply the food and drink. about how much will lumber cost for something like this. I will be ordering trusses if it is a lot easier on my part. The garage will be basic and will have 1 larger garage door, basic electrical work and finsihed weith roof and siding singles.

Am I asking a question that cant be easily answered?

markb1
10-12-2007, 11:43 PM
yes and no

kbs2244
10-13-2007, 12:31 PM
Unless some of your friends are concret professionals, get the slab done by a contractor with a reputation to protect.
It will give you a flat, smooth, good looking place to start from.
And you will not use up all the "gung ho spirt" of your buddies doing what is just plain gut busting work.

Lloydthumper
10-13-2007, 02:03 PM
I subed out the floor and the 1ft block wall around the bottom I did the footing myself with a freind with a back hoe. but I built a frame
garage 30X40X12 which adds alot to it when you have 2x6x12 for wall studs. for $16,500 with doors. and a colored metal roof. and vinyl siding If you are not going 12ft walls you should be able to do it for way less than that I knocked off almost $2000 just by going from one store to the other with a full quote and asking the next one if they could beat the quote. $750 on my truses alone. now that is not finished walls on the inside.

Bull
10-13-2007, 02:09 PM
Excavation and concrete work can add up. Earthwork for my 24x32 ran me about $8-10k, the foundation was a couple grand, and the floor was under two grand I think. I'd have to look at my receipts to be precise.

What part of Mass are you in?

IDASHO
10-13-2007, 03:54 PM
Only way to get by that cheap is with a pole barn.

Stick frame, no way.

Lloydthumper
10-13-2007, 07:08 PM
Only way to get by that cheap is with a pole barn.

Stick frame, no way.

I guess things maybe different in mass. but in NC I did it I can post pictures and receipts. I did everything to code with all inspections all I did was the footing with a friend of mine the block wall and the floor was subed out and me and a friend built it. but I will say I need a few more lights in it but they will come I did all of the electrical work and it has a seperate service for the garage. And that was a 30X40X12 with one walk door and two 10X10 roll up doors Vinyl siding that was higher becasue I had to order it to match my house and I paid for the trim work to be done as well but I could have done it if I wanted to rent a brake. I had $16,500 in it when finished and that included paying my friend a $1000 for helping me he took a weeks vaction to help so I figuared that was the least I could do. But if it would have been 8' walls I would have did the whole thing myself. I also put a colored metal roof on it that had to be ordered as well so It would match my house. I priced a contractor doing it and they quoted $33,000 to build it so I figuared I saved half of it doing it myself and I had only built a storage building before this. I do have to say I have my own skid steer so I figurare that may offset a $1,000 or so.

KnightFire
10-13-2007, 07:45 PM
You can buy a modular unit for that much, have to add another couple of thousand for site prep / concrete pad of course.

I'm currently looking at these:
http://4-outdoor.com/ Modular Vinyl Garage-28X30

Click below for photo
http://shopping.netsuite.com/core/media/media.nl?id=90&c=574896&h=911c187d83d40b257572

You can have it spec'ed out to your liking, I've spoken with them a few times, very nice folks, and eager to please. Doubt they come out as far as you (they work in the MD/VA/WV area), but you may be able to find something similar in your area...just a thought.

brownbagg
10-13-2007, 08:28 PM
I did a metal building with slab 24X30 for $6200 two years ago. Now thats no electrical or plumbing.

nova65ss
10-13-2007, 09:05 PM
Alot will depend on whether or not you need inspections, permits, engineered drawings, and what type of foundation you are needing to use.

If you can go monolithic slab and vinyl siding it should not be a problem. Footing and foundation probably not.

The footing/ foundation and slab ran me 5000 for a 24 x 26, franing materials another 5000, shingles 1200 installed, hardieplank siding installed 3800. I still had another 10 grand in misc stuff painting, gutters, driveway, electrical, some fill dirt, garage doors and entry doors it adds up quick.

I had alot of those friends that wanted to help with mine also and when I first broke ground everyone of them mysteriously disappeared until it was finished!:headscrat :headscrat Good luck

BOTTLEDZ28
10-14-2007, 01:52 PM
I shouldnt have to sub out the floor since I work with conrete all the time at work. We do that type of stuff all the time. I plan on doing 10 foot walls.

Bull, I am from Westport mass. I will have to check on building codes and what is required for building a garage in my neck of the woods. im sure that plays a lot in cost.

Danglerb
10-14-2007, 07:45 PM
Any project can have problems, so maybe its good to hope for $15k, but be prepared for it ending up more like $20K+. Otherwise you can run out of money with a project 80% done, and locally that makes the planning commission guys nuts. Two big project houses have been in the news out here, after 5 years of work city gave them notice to finish in 6 months or tear it down.

jimvannoy
10-14-2007, 07:57 PM
I built my metal roofed, metal stud, vinyl sided 30x40 shop for right at $5000.00 including the slab. Did everything myself except for the erection of the roof and studs.

GT350RC
10-15-2007, 09:00 AM
If you wind up going with trusses, that's another expense. My 26' x 26' has a 12/12 roof, with storage trusses. 14 trusses cost me about $200 each.