View Full Version : What hose bib is this and how can I adapt it?

Dust
11-20-2011, 01:18 AM
I have a hose bib at work that I'd like to connect a regular garden hose to, but the thread is too large. A coworker said it was for a vacuum breaker or anti-siphon valve, but I cannot find any information on this particular type of bib. Here's a picture:

http://www.dustyengineering.com/images/misc/hosebib.jpg

Diameter measured from thread tip-to-tip is 1.175 inches, and the pitch is 18TPI or so.

Any one know what this is and how I can adapt it to garden hose thread? Removing and replacing the bib is not possible.

hdshinn
11-20-2011, 01:22 AM
Looks like a sweat fitting with a coat of some kind of glop. What makes replacing it not possible?

Dust
11-20-2011, 01:28 AM
Unable to turn off the water supply, mainly.

Rust
11-20-2011, 01:40 AM
is it a well..or city water?

you need to turn off the main valve leading into the house...errr stucture.

edit/
Ahh cant turn water off..i see..

some sort of reducer fitting..just hit you local hardwares store?

Dust
11-20-2011, 01:47 AM
I tried Home Depot and the plumbing guy there said to hit up a plumbing supply store. I would have, but it was 4:30 and I doubt any independent plumbing house is open at 4:30 on a Saturday. Same with a Sunday.

So I figured I should ask here before I head to one next week.

hdshinn
11-20-2011, 01:53 AM
Unable to turn off the water supply, mainly.

Assuming (which is always a bad move) there's a water meter, you should be able to turn off the supply there. I can't imagine a situation where there wasn't some means of turning off the water supply. Although you could probably get a heart transplant for equal money, I'd just call a plumber and have it replaced.

Rust
11-20-2011, 02:03 AM
Knowing how to turn the water off would be first on my priority list. :)
There has to be a valve somewhere.

Plumbing supply house is your best bet, though.
Good Luck

slghmmr88
11-20-2011, 02:28 AM
I'm gonna subscribe cause i want to find out what size that thing turns out to be.

Last resort is clean that pipe above the valve real good, put some distance between it and the wall, put on some goggles, Pancho, get the proper gator bite union with a valve on the other end. Cut the pipe real fast over a bucket, slip on the gator bite and bob's your uncle there you go.:lol_hitti:lol_hitti: I know it sounds nuts and I would never do it again except in dire situation. Had to do it to one of my old job rent houses when the city water meter was too worn to shut off and they said would not replace within foreseeable future unless my boss would pay for install since it was not leaking at the meter, and that wasn't going to happen. Had to replace the main house cutoff which was just inside the kitchen behind the ref. Should have worn a face shield cause tuff to see thru my glasses.:Help:

Provincial
11-20-2011, 02:58 AM
If you can't shut off the supply of water to this valve, if there are other faucets or places that you can open to let the water loose, open up everything else. It will cut down on the flow from the one you are working on.

Dust
11-20-2011, 03:22 AM
You guys have missed the fact that it's not MY bib to change. It's the shop's. I'm not going to attempt to change it. I'm just looking for some sort of adapter that I can just attach. That was my actual question.

What kind of bib is it, and what do I need to get so I can adapt a hose onto it?

StaggeringGoat
11-20-2011, 04:28 AM
Could it be regular 1" NPT type threads? I know golf courses use 1" hose bibs like that and have bigger hoses to screw onto them.

koditten
11-20-2011, 05:53 AM
get a couple of co2 fire extinguishers and freeze the line upstream. cut and replace with compression fitting and new valve.

sselander
11-20-2011, 07:28 AM
My house has the vacuum breakers. (built 2005)
I would have to take one off to measure it.
Any real plumbing supply place carries them.

They look like this:

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41VW1CGB5ML._SL500_AA300_.jpg

http://www.amazon.com/brass-hose-bib-vacuum-breaker/dp/B0006526AG

betterbillt
11-20-2011, 07:29 AM
I wish I could help. I've never seen that thread before. I have a feeling if I walk into my local hardware sore they would have something that would work. If it's not leaking I'd give a little more effort to find an adapter before you change it. I'll do some checking when I get to town.

Kevin54
11-20-2011, 08:02 AM
I think that is what he is asking. He DOESN'T want to change it, he needs to know the proper name of it so he can search for the proper adapter to go from a large fitting to a smaller fitting. I would think your local TSC would have something, but I have no clue as to the name of the bib you have now. I'd right down the size on paper and take a tape measure with you.

I'd say ssealander is right on with what he is showing.

sberry
11-20-2011, 09:05 AM
If all elsefailed screw a coupling on with JB weld, put new adapter on.

OccupantRJ
11-20-2011, 09:28 AM
See if the threaded half of a pipe union will fit onto it. I did this once on an odd fitting I encountered.

Crusty Nut
11-20-2011, 09:53 AM
it's not for a vacuum breaker. I've taken them off and they are just screwed onto regular hose bibs. You just have what appears to be 1" hose bib instead of garden variety 3/4".

sberry
11-20-2011, 10:15 AM
Yes, that is probably the case.

Shadowdog500
11-20-2011, 10:49 AM
I see you have been looking for an answer to this since 2008 on another forum.
http://arstechnica.com/civis/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=61370&p=2313653

Clean the paint off of those threads and I bet you will have either a 1-1/8 by 18 Or a 1-1/16 by 18 thread. I may be wrong but I believe that some vacuum breakers and flow back preventers like the one shown in the earlier post had that thread.

If you had a lathe you could just make an adapter.

Chris

Norcal
11-20-2011, 11:40 AM
Spend some time on the McMaster-Carr website, they have a HUGE assortment of odd items.

www.mcmaster.com

Thedroid
11-20-2011, 12:33 PM
That looks similar to a radiator valve and may take a union nut. http://images.bizrate.com/resize?sq=140&uid=2430842421

sberry
11-20-2011, 01:42 PM
Spend some time on the McMaster-Carr website, they have a HUGE assortment of odd items.

www.mcmaster.com Evidently this has been a 3 year process already.

stingry
11-20-2011, 02:18 PM
That looks similar to a radiator valve and may take a union nut. http://images.bizrate.com/resize?sq=140&uid=2430842421

I think this may be correct. Check this link

http://www.watts.com/pages/_products_details.asp?pid=667

Your valve looks similar to this but with the bottom vac breaker missing.

Dust
11-20-2011, 03:02 PM
It has been a three year search. I stopped looking for a while, but recently just got fed up enough with my floors not being cleaned properly that I decided to reopen my investigation.

I didn't find anything on McMaster that sounded like it would fit. I'm planning on printing out that photo and taking it to a plumbing house sometime this week if I can. I may also stop by HD today and take another look at their fittings, but from what I remember nothing looked like it would fit. I tried making my own adapter with some discharge hose, PVC fittings, and clamps, and it would have worked had the hose not been unable to take the pressure. Oh well.

The search continues. Thanks for all the suggestions so far, it's really helping me narrow it down.

Thedroid
11-20-2011, 03:16 PM
See if the threaded half of a pipe union will fit onto it. I did this once on an odd fitting I encountered.

This will be the same threads as the union nut picture I posted. You should be able to find them at any home improvement or hardware store. Take it apart and measure it, and if it is correct then get a NPT to GHT nipple. If this is not the proper thread than your going to have a really hard time finding anything even remotely close.

I tried finding a standard thread chart for unions , but came up empty.

Shadowdog500
11-20-2011, 04:51 PM
When you give up trying to locate something, clean the paint off the threads, take accurate measurements of the threads including close up photos, and I will try to make you an adapter on my lathe. I bet it will be 1-1/8" with 18 TPI.

Also take a photo of the caliper with the calibers closed. Dont take it personal but I've had people give me measurements taken with a caliper that wasn't zeroed properly.

Standard hose thread has an 11.5 pitch and I can only go down to 12 so I will either need to start with a hose adapter or I can make it so that it slips into the hose with a hose clamp. [UPDATE] getting creative with the change gears I can cut an 11.487 thread which may be close enough for a garden hose.

As a tempory fix you could go to a camping store and get a "Water Thief" for around $4. It slides over faucets that have no threads or buggerd threads.
http://i527.photobucket.com/albums/cc353/shadowdog500/d94ed55c.jpg

Chris

betterbillt
11-20-2011, 04:56 PM
I was thinking about this today and I remember Working on a Manabloc pex plumbing system and the ends meaning the top and the bottom had a fitting that might just work. The side fitting were the same as hose threads but the top and bottom fittings were a little larger. I have a few of the fitting around here if I can find them.

OccupantRJ
11-20-2011, 08:00 PM
You can measure the OD of the fitting to get the diameter, and you can use a bolt as a thread Gage to determine thread pitch. Just mesh the threads until you find one that matches properly. A 3/8 SAE will have 16 threads per inch, and a 5/16 will have 18.

Dust
11-20-2011, 08:10 PM
I think I found an adapter! I went to Ace Hardware and showed the plumbing guy the photo, told him the specs, and he got me an Arrowhead brand fine thread vacuum breaker, part number 58BFP. The inside thread looks similar to the one on the bib, and it's just over 1-1/8", so I think it might work. I will try it tomorrow.

radrush
11-20-2011, 08:15 PM
The faucet handle apepars to be broken and you don't know what size it is or have anything that fits it. Why don't you just replace it already?

sselander
11-20-2011, 10:03 PM
That is what is on my house

"Arrowhead brand fine thread vacuum breaker, part number 58BFP."

They are chrome plated.

=============================
Dust -
"I think I found an adapter! I went to Ace Hardware and showed the plumbing guy the photo, told him the specs, and he got me an Arrowhead brand fine thread vacuum breaker, part number 58BFP. The inside thread looks similar to the one on the bib, and it's just over 1-1/8", so I think it might work. I will try it tomorrow. "

Shadowdog500
11-21-2011, 06:11 PM
Did it fit?

Dust
11-21-2011, 11:09 PM
It did indeed! I wire brushed the paint off the hose bib threads, and it screwed on with little difficulty. Hooked up a hose and tested it, and it works just as it's supposed to. Now I just need a bucket to catch the back flow when I turn it off.

Or just JB Weld over the holes...

Dust
11-21-2011, 11:56 PM
I kind of figured it was going to puke on me, so I just did it nice and slow. Only made a small puddle.