View Full Version : wtf, lunch meat smells like sulfur??

tpolley
12-14-2011, 03:41 PM
i just bought a package of oscar mayer oven roasted shaved white turkey at price chopper yesterday. i opened the package and i'm immediately hit with the foul smell of sufur:shocking:. it doesn't expire untill january so it shouldn't be bad. plus, meat shouldn't smell like sulfur when it goes bad.

this shit is going back to the store after work.

what the hell is up with lunch meat??

Lomotil
12-14-2011, 03:46 PM
Saw on the news last night, someone was caught planting tampered bottles of Dasani water in a convenience store. Just a thought.

Octarine
12-14-2011, 04:12 PM
Oscar Meyer=cheapest stuff they can legally label as meat. Add that to Price Chopper which buys the overstock from other stores, and I'd rather buy shrimp from some guy on the side of the road on an August afternoon.

Food and tools are two places where believe in paying for more :)

Boyd
12-14-2011, 04:19 PM
A good date code doesn't necessarily mean it isn't spoiled. The date code only applies if the product was stored in ideal conditions.

Your meat could have been delivered on a truck with a bad reefer.

bcustode
12-14-2011, 04:23 PM
My lunch meat always smells good when the wife makes it.

rlitman
12-14-2011, 04:23 PM
See if there's an 800 number on the back.
Last time something like this happened to me (it happened to be with mayo), I ended up getting a pack of coupons in the mail worth well more than what I threw out.

tpolley
12-14-2011, 04:37 PM
See if there's an 800 number on the back.
Last time something like this happened to me (it happened to be with mayo), I ended up getting a pack of coupons in the mail worth well more than what I threw out.

good idea. i just fired off a nasty gram to their web site.

rlitman
12-14-2011, 04:47 PM
Every company has a different response, but in the half a dozen times I've had to do this over similar issues with various products, I've always gotten a good response from the company.

A couple of the times, they followed up and asked me for information such as the lot number on the product and where it was purchased, so they could follow up and see if there was a breakdown in the supply chain. I'm always happier hearing that, than just getting a refund in the mail, and these sort of things aren't always the store's fault anyway, so why dump it on them.

srmofo
12-14-2011, 08:29 PM
That meat is bad. Simple as that, thats what it smells like

porcupine73
12-14-2011, 08:46 PM
Hm I thought maybe it contained sulfites. Looked at the label, and there's lots of chemicals in there, but didn't see anything containing sulfur.

larry_g
12-14-2011, 09:29 PM
You must have gotten the mystery meat from the south end of a north bound critter.

lg
no neat sig line

Scout Driver
12-14-2011, 09:41 PM
That meat is bad. Simple as that, thats what it smells like

This right here ^^^^^.

Scott

DanCo
12-14-2011, 09:42 PM
http://i64.photobucket.com/albums/h168/johnh_01/deviledham1.jpg

t100
12-14-2011, 10:05 PM
what's the COO?

Big Bad Dad
12-15-2011, 06:39 AM
Does this question really need to be asked on an internet forum? :headscrat

Kevin54
12-15-2011, 08:06 AM
We picked up some lunch meat a few weeks back and with opening the package the meat appeared to be wet but leaning towards slimy. In to the trash it went.

On a side note I was reading an article about food poisoning and it stated that a person gets food poisoning a few times a year and doesn't even realize it. A stomach ache after eating. A case of the screamin' chits, all can be contributed to some sort of food poisoning.

We buy our beef from a reputable person, it gets processed by a reputable butcher. We raise almost all of our veggies, cleaned, cut, bagged, then frozen. We will buy a whole hog when the time is right. The butcher only does hogs every so often as he has to totally clean everything between beef and hog.

It's just getting to the point that with the population and the demand for food, a lot of the stuff you buy today just isn't good by the time it hits the shelves, I also don't care for the idea of all the pesticides being used today. It seems the older I get the more I'm concerned about that.

Around our area which is rural, we have enough people from Spring through Summer and into the Fall that they have weekly Community Markets in town. You can get some pretty good veggies for almost nothing. That's the time to stock up and freeze. Get enough to carry you through the winter months until the next year.

SpiderGearsMan
12-15-2011, 08:19 AM
yum ..lunch meat

porcupine73
12-15-2011, 08:27 AM
what's the COO?

:spit: Assembled in the USA of foreign and domestic components?

meissen
12-15-2011, 09:05 AM
Your meat could have been delivered on a truck with a bad reefer.

Exactly - there was a big special on 60 Minutes or 20/20 or Dateline or something where there are police departments with units dedicated to pulling truckers over and inspecting their refrigeration units and the meat temperatures. It's a lot more rampant than people realize - tons of trucks with their refrigeration units turned off completely.