View Full Version : Toro S200

j.c.whitney
12-30-2011, 10:27 AM
Up in the rafters of my elderly Mother's garage was a 1970's era Toro S200 Snowblower. That pooch hasn't been started or run for more than 10 years and unfortunately my Dad had left fuel in it which deteriorated into something else over those years. It was like the gas evaporated but the oil stayed, there was a thick but still liquid mass maybe 1/8" deep in the bottom of the tank which did not smell rotten or even like old gas or varnish. So I hauled it home figuring it would require a complete fuel system cleanup (tank, carburetor, fuel lines) and a new spark plug to make it run. Tried emptying out the tank by inverting the machine but nothing would come out. On their older equipment, Toro is kind enough to have the service manual online, after looking up the manual it suggested removing the needle valve, spraying carburetor cleaner into the hole, waiting a few minutes, adding fresh fuel and seeing what happens. That thing started on the first pull, little smoky for 10 minutes or so but we have a working unit. Thanks Toro for putting that manual online!

Rudyjr
12-30-2011, 10:40 AM
Up in the rafters of my elderly Mother's garage was a 1970's era Toro S200 Snowblower. That pooch hasn't been started or run for more than 10 years and unfortunately my Dad had left fuel in it which deteriorated into something else over those years. It was like the gas evaporated but the oil stayed, there was a thick but still liquid mass maybe 1/8" deep in the bottom of the tank which did not smell rotten or even like old gas or varnish. So I hauled it home figuring it would require a complete fuel system cleanup (tank, carburetor, fuel lines) and a new spark plug to make it run. Tried emptying out the tank by inverting the machine but nothing would come out. On their older equipment, Toro is kind enough to have the service manual online, after looking up the manual it suggested removing the needle valve, spraying carburetor cleaner into the hole, waiting a few minutes, adding fresh fuel and seeing what happens. That thing started on the first pull, little smoky for 10 minutes or so but we have a working unit. Thanks Toro for putting that manual online!

I bought one of those new in the 70's for my grandfather for Christmas when I was 18-19 years old. He had a big circular driveway out in the country that he shoveled by hand when it snowed. It was probably a couple of weeks pay for me at the time. They used it constantly and took it with them when they moved into town to an apartment. My dad used it at their apartment and at his house. When he passed away my father brought it to my house where it sat until I had my 180 foot driveway paved 20 plus years ago. I used it up until four years ago when the handle broke in two when I was using it and the head took off down the driveway by itself.I bought a new Honda but I hung on to the old Toro in pieces. I loaned it to my neighbor who is an aircraft mechanic and he patched it back together and got it working again. He used it on his big driveway until last year when he bought something a little bigger. The old one still sits in the shed ready to go if needed, along with a lot of memories.