View Full Version : Exhaust system for new shop( work)

csargents1546
02-03-2012, 11:31 PM
Here is the back story for my question to follow. The dealership I work at is going to build a new shop for all the bigger trucks, F250 and up. The owner is talking about some sort of free flow exhaust system he has in operation at a semi rig service shop. All thier exhaust points up. He is wanting to use that same system in a light duty truck shop. Any idea on what regulation I can point him towards? Trying to convice them that it will not work. Must be nice to be the one making all the decisions and not have to work next to a 7.3L that is cold and smokes up half the shop.:3gears:

nehog
02-04-2012, 08:27 AM
Why are you trying to convince them it won't work? I've seen these systems used in many configurations, and they all seem to work just fine.

ewils35
02-04-2012, 08:28 AM
hey my 7.3 dont smoke when its cold lol. but um what we use at work(i paint big rigs) is we have these huge fan units suspended in the shop to push all the exhaust out the bay door lol other than that people just deal with it. at this shop i use to work at in texas we had this exhaust system that was like a mobile system type deal, it suspended from the roof and it collected all the exhaust gas by a hose clamped to the tail pipe, brought up to the a collector and a fan pushed all the exhaust out the collector outside. the hoses that clamped to the tailpipes of the trucks and cars could move down the shop as soon as the vehicle was pulled into the bay door to the techs stall. i dunno if that made any sense but thats all i could remember lol

csargents1546
02-04-2012, 11:33 PM
My biggest concern with the air flow. The exhaust is to be vented from the ceiling level, 15 plus feet high, but the exhaust pipe from the truck is only 8 to 12 inches off the floor, inbetween the two is where I have to work. Don't want all that exhaust passing by me on the way out the vents. In reference to the 7.3, I mean when they have a problem and are running rought. Stand in the next bay over from someone firing up a misfiring diesel with no exhaust hose, and it sends you out the door.

venturesomerite
02-05-2012, 12:08 AM
My biggest concern with the air flow. The exhaust is to be vented from the ceiling level, 15 plus feet high, but the exhaust pipe from the truck is only 8 to 12 inches off the floor, inbetween the two is where I have to work. Don't want all that exhaust passing by me on the way out the vents. In reference to the 7.3, I mean when they have a problem and are running rought. Stand in the next bay over from someone firing up a misfiring diesel with no exhaust hose, and it sends you out the door.

Why not just rig up a flexible pipe on a pole with a retractable line to hold it up when not in use, and when you want to use you pull it down and put it over the exhaust. It doesn't have to go anywhere, other than just 10 feet straight up and away from you.

Gearhead559
02-05-2012, 01:37 AM
http://standardus.com/stdshop/monoxivent-4-x-16-retractable-system-dsp-11164-d.html

csargents1546
02-05-2012, 10:32 AM
The thing is the owner is trying to cut corners and does not want to use hoses at all. I don't think he understands how bad these trucks can smoke when they are not running right.

venturesomerite
02-05-2012, 12:12 PM
Strongly voice your concerns and see if other employees feel the same way. Maybe address the issue to him as a group.