To avoid these ads, REGISTER NOW!

Hand tool preservation

dink

Well-known member
Joined
Aug 15, 2005
Messages
2,671
Location
Plainfield, IN
Lets say you have tools that arent or wont be used for a very long period of time....year or longer....but you want them to stay in pristine condition for later use....would it be best to store the tool in a bath of WD40 or other type of oil??

What other things do you suggest

This has nothing to do with a situation....just a curious question
 
To avoid these ads, REGISTER NOW!

eschoendorff

Well-known member
Joined
Feb 6, 2005
Messages
8,991
Location
Michigan
I always wipe my tools down with a cloth impregnated with air tool oil. I've also been known to spray them down with CorrosionX.
 

kartracer55

Well-known member
Joined
Jun 21, 2005
Messages
5,317
cosmoline is a PITA, because it seems to always attract dust and dirt.

Well what exactly do you have to store? WD40 isnt good for long term stuff because it "evaporates" household oil (3-1, sewing machine oil, 10wt) is much better for this. Its similar to air tool oil, but without additives. After a paticularly dirty job I will hit my tools with simple green, clean them, then oil them with light oil. If its small tools, like maybe wrenches of something, put a heavy heavy coat of wd40 on them then seal them up in a ziplock. use your imagination. Just make sure they have some sort of oil on them, and wont be exposed to excessive moisture, like being in the rain.

Jim
 
To avoid these ads, REGISTER NOW!

kartracer55

Well-known member
Joined
Jun 21, 2005
Messages
5,317
danski0224 said:
Amsoil Mp-hd


Amsoil stuff is usually pretty expensive.

trust me, go to hardware store, or even home deperate and just get some lightweight general purpouse oil.

Jim
 

danski0224

Well-known member
Joined
Jan 29, 2005
Messages
14,041
Location
Near Naperville, IL
kartracer55 said:
Amsoil stuff is usually pretty expensive.

trust me, go to hardware store, or even home deperate and just get some lightweight general purpouse oil.

Jim

Yes, it is expensive, but it works.

I coated my brand new snowblower with the stuff four years ago. Still looks like new. The couple of spots I missed show rust.

I coated my trailer hitch on the van two years ago, and there is no rust on the hitch.

I coated the undercar brake and fuel lines and the aluminum parts I could reach. Again, no rust or corrosion. I also sprayed the insides of the doors.

I plan on spraying the new car, too.

Obviously, I live in the Rust Belt.

I have never tried a product like Boeshield, but the one place that sells it around here charges $10 a can.

WD-40 is worthless in the long term, AMSOIL MP, which is similar, works much better.

The AMSOIL MP-HD is the best stuff that I have used for long term metal protection. The waxy coating does not attract dirt. It was designed for chain drive lubrication, so it doesn't fling off.

You get what you pay for. How much were your tools?
 
To avoid these ads, REGISTER NOW!
Top Bottom