To avoid these ads, REGISTER NOW!

Who wants to put their metric taps to good use?

bmwpower

Super Moderator
Staff member
Joined
Apr 24, 2005
Messages
12,578
Location
NJ
I need a metric thread (M10x1 or M10x1.5..haven't decided..see here) tapped into a M20x1.5 plug (#13 in pict)

Enough meat on there to do it?


I'll send you the plug and compensation in return for the work.

Sound good?
 

Attachments

  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    21 KB · Views: 147
To avoid these ads, REGISTER NOW!

Freejack

Well-known member
Joined
Aug 8, 2007
Messages
555
Location
St. Peters MO
Are you trying to put a secondary plug into a larger plug?

If so, referencing the prior thread about which would be better thread for pressure. You might actually be better going to a NPT fitting. Any other type of fitting will require a sealing surface on both the head of the larger plug and the underside of whatever fastner you use, plus some sort of maulable washer between them (copper, nylon, etc)

I guess I don't completely understand what you are doing.

Jake
 
OP
B

bmwpower

Super Moderator
Staff member
Joined
Apr 24, 2005
Messages
12,578
Location
NJ
I want to connect an auto trans oil temp sender to my ****** (for a gauge), but the available pipe plugs are M20's, so I was thinking I'd just drill out the center of the M20 pipe plug and thread it for the appropriate sender. In this case, an M10 sender. The M20 pipe plug I think is made out of aluminum, but I'm not positive (haven't looked under the car yet). I guess I could look for a bushing that went from M10 to M20, but I didn't think they existed.

Here is the M10x1.5 sender. The pipe plug and the sender would be sealed with a crush washer:

323-091.jpg
 

rsanter

Well-known member
Joined
Dec 22, 2007
Messages
18,559
Location
visalia ca
I think for what you are trying to do you will want to use the coarser 1.5 threat, espically if you are going to use brass or aluminum for the adapter plug.
if you have the taps and a drillpress I can tell you how bwst to do it, or I could do it on my lathe.

bob
 

swgray

Well-known member
Joined
May 18, 2005
Messages
403
Location
maryland
Does it really have to go into a pressure port? Can't it be located in the pan instead? Adding a bung with the proper threads to the pan seems like an easier undertaking and less prone to forceful leaks.
 
OP
B

bmwpower

Super Moderator
Staff member
Joined
Apr 24, 2005
Messages
12,578
Location
NJ
Does it really have to go into a pressure port? Can't it be located in the pan instead? Adding a bung with the proper threads to the pan seems like an easier undertaking and less prone to forceful leaks.

Yea, it could be located there. There should be enough room for the sender, but I'd have to check.

The problem would be getting a bung into the pan (no welder for me)...and dropping the pan and replacing the fluid, but it could be done obviously.
 

russlaferrera

Well-known member
Joined
Nov 24, 2006
Messages
2,035
Location
Central Virginia
Yea, it could be located there. There should be enough room for the sender, but I'd have to check.

The problem would be getting a bung into the pan (no welder for me)...and dropping the pan and replacing the fluid, but it could be done obviously.

You could drill a hole in the pan and install the temp unit with a nut on the inside.. You could solder it (with a propane or Mapp torch)or use Silvabraze , so it will not leak. Or you can PM me and send me the part and I will thread it for you. Russ
 
Last edited:
To avoid these ads, REGISTER NOW!

W-Cummins

Well-known member
Joined
Jan 9, 2006
Messages
1,642
Location
Iowa
A 10mm X1.5 pitch tap from snap-on is under $10 why don't you just buy one? Shipping the part back and forth would eat more $$ than that.
I have one but I don't understand why you would want to ship the part at the cost of the tap....

William...
 
OP
B

bmwpower

Super Moderator
Staff member
Joined
Apr 24, 2005
Messages
12,578
Location
NJ
A 10mm X1.5 pitch tap from snap-on is under $10 why don't you just buy one? Shipping the part back and forth would eat more $$ than that.
I have one but I don't understand why you would want to ship the part at the cost of the tap....

William...

I have a tap, but I don't have a drill press. I supposed I could put the part in the vise and drill it, but that may prove to be futile.
 

MAD

Well-known member
Joined
Jan 27, 2007
Messages
2,733
Location
Western MA
You might try calling Rogue Engineering. I Believe they may sell transmission plugs tapped for senders. I did not see them listed online though.

http://www.rogueengineering.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGY&Category_Code=BMW

When installing these senders on the oil sump plate in an Air cooled VW , I believe the instructions say to install them with a nut on the back as russlaferrera suggested rather than tapping threads. I don't know that I would want to do that with an expensive pan though. The sump plate on an air cooled VW is cheap and fast to change out if you mess it up or you decide you don't want the sender anymore.
 

swgray

Well-known member
Joined
May 18, 2005
Messages
403
Location
maryland
If you could get a 1/8-27 NPT sending unit from VDO that would be the correct temp. range you just drill a 1/2" hole in the pan and install this or most other manufacturers drain plug kit.
sum-g1380_w_m.jpg
55560175.gif
 
Last edited:

russlaferrera

Well-known member
Joined
Nov 24, 2006
Messages
2,035
Location
Central Virginia
I have a tap, but I don't have a drill press. I supposed I could put the part in the vise and drill it, but that may prove to be futile.

Eric, don't be a wuss!! You can do it. Start with 1/2 size of the tap drill, for a pilot hole then finish with the tap drill. The hole will be straighter that way.

Whats the worst than can happen? It's a plug.
 

brianpgriset

Well-known member
Joined
Sep 29, 2006
Messages
1,050
Location
Beaumont, TX
I agree with the above. I use hand drill for holes I tap all the time. You don't NEED a drill press but it is alot easier. Give it a shot, its only a plug.

On the other hand, I do see this as being a critical application (is it really at 300psi?:shocking:), so I understand your concern. I'd be glad to tap that M20 plug if you would like. Let me know. I only have an M10x1.5 tap though, no 1.0.

Lastly, why are you all giving bmwpower such a hard time? He didn't ask for other ways to get a temp sender in, he asked for help tapping a hole.
 

OldCarGuy

Well-known member
Joined
Nov 29, 2005
Messages
2,027
Location
Ohio
Bmwpower,, send the plug and sender unit to my place. I’ll chuck the plug in my lathe, then drill and tap it. Making the thread true and centered to the body.
 
To avoid these ads, REGISTER NOW!
Top Bottom