View Full Version : Snap-On MG31 repair, which type of Redline oil in hammercase

redwrench60
07-10-2012, 06:40 PM
The bushing in the housing nosecone and the hammercase oil seals are done for in my buddys MG31 impact. Repair parts are cheap but during re assembly I'd like to know which Redline oil to use in the sealed hammercase and how much. (These impacts are factory filled with some type of Redline oil)Redline lubracants has all kinds of dopes and sauces from grease to oil to assembly lube. Anybody know which flavor? Pics attached for all you impactofiles.

country83
07-11-2012, 09:06 AM
Did some research and the spec I find is Redline #3007. Unfortunately, I haven't been able to match that to any product on their website. I've used regular 30 weight motor oil in impact assemblies before, and I'm not sure that it'd make any difference either way.

redwrench60
07-13-2012, 10:17 PM
Did some research and the spec I find is Redline #3007. Unfortunately, I haven't been able to match that to any product on their website. I've used regular 30 weight motor oil in impact assemblies before, and I'm not sure that it'd make any difference either way.

I've not been able to dig up any info on #3007 Redline oil either or come up with a satisfactory answer either...anyone else?

Skyline
07-13-2012, 10:56 PM
Any oil you put in is going to get pretty quickly blasted out as soon as you fire up the gun, unless it's too thick or simply too much, in which case the gun won't run right or get to proper speed.

I have rebuilt quite a number of Snap-on guns, and I've never lubed them during assembly. Before I run the gun, I put about 6-8 drops of Snap-on air tool oil in the air fitting. When you start running the gun, that extra oil will make a bit of mess, but after that it will work great. I presume due to the very nature of an air tool, this oil-air mix is getting everywhere in the gun. I also wipe some oil on the O rings when assembling. I have no idea whether this is the correct technique for rebuilding, but it's always worked very well for me.

GeorgiaHybrid
07-13-2012, 11:03 PM
Any oil you put in is going to get pretty quickly blasted out as soon as you fire up the gun, unless it's too thick or simply too much, in which case the gun won't run right or get to proper speed.

I have rebuilt quite a number of Snap-on guns, and I've never lubed them during assembly. Before I run the gun, I put about 6-8 drops of Snap-on air tool oil in the air fitting. When you start running the gun, that extra oil will make a bit of mess, but after that it will work great. I presume due to the very nature of an air tool, this oil-air mix is getting everywhere in the gun. I also wipe some oil on the O rings when assembling. I have no idea whether this is the correct technique for rebuilding, but it's always worked very well for me.

Skyline, the hammers on these are in an oil bath that is separated from the rest of the motor by the hammer compartment seals. The factory oil is a bright red, fairly thin oil that is poured into the hammers before the nose is pressed back on the wrench.

To the OP, have you tried talking to your dealer to see if he can obtain some for you? If nothing else, call Snap-on customer support.

redwrench60
07-14-2012, 12:25 AM
Skyline, the hammers on these are in an oil bath that is separated from the rest of the motor by the hammer compartment seals. The factory oil is a bright red, fairly thin oil that is poured into the hammers before the nose is pressed back on the wrench.

To the OP, have you tried talking to your dealer to see if he can obtain some for you? If nothing else, call Snap-on customer support.

Georgia, you are correct, the impact mechanism on this gun is separated and sealed off from the air motor assembly. It is the hammer case oil I'm after. I spoke with my dealer when I ordered parts and he is aware of the use of Redline in these but didn't know which type. I was hoping someone had run up on this already.