View Full Version : O-Ring question

Kevin54
08-20-2012, 04:58 PM
H.F. O-rings. I bought a set of S.A.E. and Metric O-Rings a while back. They are the Storehouse brand or kit.

I have to rebuild the hydraulic unit for the loader on my Cub Cadet Compact Utility tractor. Is anyone familiar with these O-ring kits? The package states that they are good for air, water, high temps, hydraulic fluids, petroleum products, and so on.

I'm just wondering if anyone else have used them and do they stand up to the description. I don't want to tear this thing down and then have to redo it.

EOC_Jason
08-20-2012, 05:20 PM
It would depend on the price, knowing HF they are probably Buna-N O-rings...

Do youself a favor and buy some Viton O-Ring's for the re-build. They cost a little more but are much more durable than the Buna-N.

A_Pmech
08-20-2012, 05:29 PM
I wouldn't trust them AT ALL. There are a lot of counterfeit O-rings going around from places like China.

Buy an O-ring kit from a reputable USA supplier would be my suggestion.

nattyTread
08-20-2012, 05:54 PM
I have both kits (SAE and metric), recently used one to repair a leaking valve on my Coleman stove (fuel drip from the flame adjustment valve).

This was a last-minute repair and these o-rings were what I had on hand. I didn't expect much, but it held for a week under pressure and exposed to gas and heat. Then again it's pretty easy for me to repair should it fail, so low risk in this case...

signcrafter
08-20-2012, 05:55 PM
Mcmaster-Carr has every size Oring for what I consider cheap. Depending on size it's like 2-5 bucks for a 100. There are hundreds of sizes of Orings and I would guess that your kits aren't going to have all of the right sizes you are going to need, I could be wrong. I've rebuilt some air guns and just get the sizes I need and order from mcmaster and they are here the next day.

bczygan
08-20-2012, 06:26 PM
Kevin,
Which kit? I have the blue box, which is Nitrile.

http://www.harborfreight.com/397-piece-metric-o-ring-assortment-67580.html

Cub wasn't open for level 2 tech support til tomorrow to confirm the material theirs are made of.

HF Viton:
http://www.harborfreight.com/180-piece-viton-o-ring-kit-67525.html

Bill

BillK
08-20-2012, 07:11 PM
Kevin,
Wouldn't it be easier to just buy the kit from Cub and know that you are getting the correct factory replacement parts ????? Considering what your time is worth, the factory parts are probably not that expensive.

Just my opinion,

Falcon67
08-20-2012, 07:42 PM
FWIW - I pay about $12 per hundred for -12 Viton o-rings from Marco Rubber.

http://www.marcorubber.com/orings.htm

Their Viton o-ring kit is $125 for 382 pieces - inspires confidence in the HF kit, eh.

Az Scooter
08-20-2012, 08:10 PM
Nitrile is Buna-N. Viton is good, but you really need to get the proper orings for the job. The best way is to just suck it up and buy the kit.

sselander
08-20-2012, 09:07 PM
HF does offer a Viton O-ring kit:

http://www.harborfreight.com/180-piece-viton-o-ring-kit-67525.html

RECox286
08-20-2012, 09:12 PM
I've been using those Orings from HF for many years. I have yet to disappointed

since they have done a very good job for me. Of course, I probably picked the

only good box in the display. (that would be for the nay sayers benefit). I wouldn't

be afraid to use them in my jack again. Still working...

Uncle Bob

Hiball
08-20-2012, 09:23 PM
The only time i would choose viton over buna-n in a hydraulic application if it's gonna be subject to extreme heat or cold cycles. If your cylinder uses oring, chances are they are equipped with backups, you might be money ahead buying the proper kit. I also keep a large selection on hand if you know the sizes...

Kevin54
08-21-2012, 08:05 AM
I have both kits, Metric and SAE. They are the nitrile o-rings.

I know I could get a rebuild kit, but with the kits I have, it has all the sizes in them. If they work, why should I order a kit from Cub?

I know that a hydraulic unit can generate some heat from the fluid, that's why I asked if the Nitrile would work.

Tis is the kits that I have http://www.harborfreight.com/397-piece-metric-o-ring-assortment-67580.html

http://www.harborfreight.com/382-piece-o-ring-assortment-67554.html

EOC_Jason
08-21-2012, 09:25 AM
You are going to keep getting different answers from people as to what would be best.

I think you kind of already have your mind made up since you keep talking about the O-rings you have on hand...

Just rebuild it with those, and if it works, great! If not, then order a kit from the manufacturer and you can probably rebuild it in a fraction of the time the second go round. ;)

rlitman
08-21-2012, 10:12 AM
FWIW - I pay about $12 per hundred for -12 Viton o-rings . . .

Their Viton o-ring kit is $125 for 382 pieces - inspires confidence in the HF kit, eh.

Sure, why not. $12 for 100 o-rings is a ripoff. Its only a few dollars more for a thousand, and only a few bucks less for 10.
99% of the cost of most o-rings has got to be in the packaging. This is where the Chinese excel. Not so much in quality control, but that's not a really big issue for o-rings.

I'll bet the same thing goes with the Viton and HNBR o-rings at HF too. Unless you need a special grade of Viton, or something obscure, the kits are ok. But you will be stuck to a single durometer grade (which may or may not be an issue for you).

crewchief888
08-21-2012, 05:21 PM
believe me,
those oring kits dont have "every size"

you may find correct replacement for whatever you are trying to seal

FWIW

many tractor, ag, & heavy equipment OEM's will throw in orings, fittings, or hose ends that are available only to the OEM.

:beer:

Steevo
08-21-2012, 05:49 PM
Kevin,

I have used the HF o-rings from the same kit you have to repair hydraulic jacks and spool valves, and they have worked fine for me.

Kevin54
08-21-2012, 06:10 PM
Kevin,

I have used the HF o-rings from the same kit you have to repair hydraulic jacks and spool valves, and they have worked fine for me.

I think I am going to give it a shot using the HF O-rings I have. The worse that can happen is I'll take a hydraulic oil bath.

porschedude996TT
08-21-2012, 06:20 PM
I have used the HF O-Rings kits for years. Make sure you have the correct compound for the fluid you are using is the only warning I can give. Sizes are to a US Aerospace Standard AS568A. Parker O-Rings sizes are a little different, but mostly the same.

theoldwizard1
08-21-2012, 07:16 PM
Listen to Hiball.

If your cylinder uses oring, chances are they are equipped with backups, you might be money ahead buying the proper kit.

That backup O-ring is key (if used) ! Backups are typically not "rubber". Without them the O-ring will fail.

Kevin54
08-22-2012, 06:42 AM
I may have made myself misunderstood, the O-Rings are not the cylinders itself, the O-Rings go into the hand unit where the lever is to raise & lower & tilt the bucket. It leaks then drips down on my shoe and brake pedal.

As far as the cylinders there self, everything is fine there. It's just the hand unit the fluid goes through.

Heavy Metal Doctor
08-22-2012, 07:26 AM
believe me,
those oring kits dont have "every size"

you may find correct replacement for whatever you are trying to seal

FWIW

many tractor, ag, & heavy equipment OEM's will throw in orings, fittings, or hose ends that are available only to the OEM.

:beer:

My feeling as well.
I only buy specific o-ring kits for a particular application and I get them from a hydraulics suppliers I can trust. The generic assortements, either listed as SAE or Metric, usually don't actually fit much of anything - or else they seem like the right size, but they're the wrong durometer and will leak anyway.

Even for a control valve - the right kit is still the best way to go.

Make sure you inspect the spool for damage - lots of time grit will get in there around the handle bracket and score it up so a new o-ring will not fix it.

hammlm
08-22-2012, 07:53 AM
I don't have a cub CUT, but rather a Cub GT. I have reconditioned (re built?) the spool valve on it numerous times. I've used Cub o-rings and backup-rings, o-rings that I sourced from oringsusa.com, and I've also just doubled up on the o-rings from my HF or other kits instead of using the correct backup rings.

I haven't noticed a real difference. I do think that I got a little bit longer life out of the CUB OE rings+backup rings, but they still failed. It's to the point where I can tear down the back of the tractor, clean everything, get the spool out, rebuild it and put it back together in a few (sometimes more) hours. Something about these spools in these 3000 series tractors make the seals fail. Pretty well documented over at mytractorforum.com.

I would bet that the HF ones would work for you -- for a while.