View Full Version : How to remove rust stains from driveway.

Hundojoe
08-28-2012, 02:58 PM
Hello all, where I live I have really hard water (high iron)and its turning my driveway and sidewalk rust colered orange, I have tried pressure washing with minimal results, just wondering if any of you fine folks have had or currently have this problem and what you did and used to remove the stains. Thanks for any input.

Iseman
08-28-2012, 03:44 PM
ZEP makes a rust removal product for concrete. I got mine at Lowes for about $12.00 a gallon, worked fairly well.

jjkrjh
08-28-2012, 04:29 PM
Living on a well that has high iron in the water, we found that CLR works best. Where the unfiltered water leaves rust stained faucets, driveway where the car trailer sits ect. a little scrub might be needed, but all stains are removed.

http://www.jelmar.com/CLRbasic.htm

newhollandpuller
08-28-2012, 04:39 PM
I've used "Iron Out" and a stiff broom works really well. The people we bought our home from had a plow truck and where it sat left a rust stain. Hint use HOT water and then mix it and pour on and srub and its gone.

koditten
08-28-2012, 04:49 PM
I use clean as well. I just spray it on full strength and forget about it. Mother nature does the rest.

1507dennis
08-28-2012, 04:59 PM
I used "The Works" toilet bowl cleaner.

fastjohnny
08-28-2012, 10:17 PM
In my snow removal business, I once had a client who was relocated from southern California, who asked in all seriousness if my plow was rusty? She was quite upset about the rust in her concrete. I applied the ironout at a fairly heavy concentration via a pump sprayer, and scrubbed with a deck scrubbing broom, then rinsed. It helped, but didn't completely remove the rust. After cleaning her drive I dropped her as a snowplow customer. Not worth the hassle.

7th Kahuna
08-29-2012, 12:41 AM
In my snow removal business, I once had a client who was relocated from southern California, who asked in all seriousness if my plow was rusty?

Don't you know all our plows are stainless? :D

koditten
08-29-2012, 01:38 AM
I use clean as well. I just spray it on full strength and forget about it. Mother nature does the rest.

Auto correct on tablet changed my post when I sent it earlier. Rereading my post, it shoud have read "I use CLR as well.

KO

koditten
08-29-2012, 01:39 AM
I used "The Works" toilet bowl cleaner.

Thats funny. I use The Works to acid wash my trailers after I build them. That's why I have to use the CLR on the concrete.

KO

7th Kahuna
08-29-2012, 02:08 AM
Home Depot also has a CLR type product, may be ZEP, sold in gallon containers. Cheaper than the small bottles if you have a lot to do. I have hard water here and haven't met a toilet bowl it couldn't get clean. Haven't tried it on the driveway. Lemon juice and sunlight will take rust out of fabric.

zporta
08-29-2012, 04:50 AM
Call up Kenny Brooks

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N1qphHSr2-M&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Agent1320
08-29-2012, 06:15 AM
Wood bleach (oxalix acid) works good too. I just moved to a new house and some rusty old car parts were left on a part of the driveway for a while and left a stain. I used the Wood Bleach I bought from Lowes, gave it a few scrubs with the shop broom, and let it sit for 10 minutes before washing it away with the water hose, had clean concrete after that, but it wasn't a "clean spot", it just matched the rest of the concrete driveway that was originally poured in '66.