View Full Version : Wall mounting vice?

Gamble
08-31-2012, 09:56 AM
Anyone have any good mounts or ideas for mounting a vice on a wall with a swivel/pivot arm?

Outlawmws
08-31-2012, 10:33 AM
How heavy of use do you plan? Sounds like a good way to damage the wall structure...

signcrafter
08-31-2012, 10:42 AM
Depends on how hard you are going to be using it. A simple piece of angle lag bolted to wall and then a piece of tube inside a bigger piece of tube with an arm welded to it would do for lite duty. If you want to go all out a piece of 1/4" plate about 34"x24" lag bolted to 3 studs and then weld a tube on with an arm would probably support a lot of weight and force. Just make sure what ever you do you make some way to "lock" the vice in position so it's not swinging when you are cranking on something.

Gamble
08-31-2012, 10:50 AM
How heavy of use do you plan? sound like a good way to damage the wall structure...

A properly mounted 2x4 can support more weight than I can put on it.
I use it to hold things and nothing super heavy. On a rare occasion it gets a beating with a 3lb sledge.

Depends on how hard you are going to be using it. A simple piece of angle lag bolted to wall and then a piece of tube inside a bigger piece of tube with an arm welded to it would do for lite duty. If you want to go all out a piece of 1/4" plate about 34"x24" lag bolted to 3 studs and then weld a tube on with an arm would probably support a lot of weight and force. Just make sure what ever you do you make some way to "lock" the vice in position so it's not swinging when you are cranking on something.
Sounds good, but I'm a visual person. I'll see if I can draw something up to get an idea of what you mean exactly.

Outlawmws
08-31-2012, 11:39 AM
A properly mounted 2x4 can support more weight than I can put on it.
I use it to hold things and nothing super heavy. On a rare occasion it gets a beating with a 3lb sledge.

Not really, I can (and have) easily tear out a 2X4 with any kind of leverage. once you attach to the 2X4 and extend the attachment point, you have leverage, lots of it.

My workbench top is 2X4's glued and screwed together on edge then a Formica top on top of that. The base is equally as strong, and I had it deck screwed to the wall studs. My vise ( a mid sized 4" Parker) is on one corner, and I ripped the bench loose from the wall. I've since lag bolted it with about 10 lag bolts and it's held up since, but you really need to insure a solid anchor point or you are likely to find the vise in you lap one day...

Jack Olsen
08-31-2012, 12:32 PM
I did something like that.

http://i699.photobucket.com/albums/vv360/Jack_Olsen/Grinding.jpg

Here's a thread where there's information on how I did it.

http://www.garagejournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=77297

rotty
08-31-2012, 12:44 PM
Heres mine. If I need to really torque on something I mount the vise in my reciever on my truck.

RCStocker
08-31-2012, 12:48 PM
I would weld up an angle iron frame. I would put 2 legs on it that go down against the wall. It will take more material than you think but you can make it out of an old Bed frame.

I made one years ago for my wood shed.

making it out of wood will not work. Even if you lap joint, glue and screw it together it will not hold up and have a lot of give.

I would just look for an good old Blacksmith vice. The fasten to a bench but you can install them any where. They have a leg to the ground and will take all the pounding on you can give it. I poured a cement colum with rebar. I put in bolts and then atached the vice. I have a forge and black smith shop on the back of my little machine shop.
It just depends on what you are going to do. Unless you need your full bench I would just mount the vice on the right corner of the bench. I hate it on the left side.

Gamble
08-31-2012, 03:02 PM
Maybe I'll skip this project for the time being. I would really like to figure out what to do with my HF porta band saw. I made a plate for it so I can use it as a vertical saw but nothing to hold it upright, maybe mount this to the wall with a swing arm?

Harvey Melvin Richards
08-31-2012, 03:49 PM
This is the coolest wall mount vise that I've seen. I would love one of these.

http://www.garagejournal.com/forum/showpost.php?p=2415235&postcount=4732

Outlawmws
08-31-2012, 04:14 PM
This is the coolest wall mount vise that I've seen. I would love one of these.

http://www.garagejournal.com/forum/showpost.php?p=2415235&postcount=4732

That is not a wall mount its still a bench mount... :confused:

Maybe I'll skip this project for the time being. I would really like to figure out what to do with my HF porta band saw. I made a plate for it so I can use it as a vertical saw but nothing to hold it upright, maybe mount this to the wall with a swing arm?

If you are cramped for space, use a B&D Workmate (200 or larger the smaller ones aren't suitable) and use that to hold any bench mount tool you wish:

Stick with the 4XX series or bigger if you can, certainly no smaller than the 2XX series. The really small ones are about as useful as a TV tray, and about as stable as well!

Yep I'm a big proponent of keeping all bench tools off my bench excepting my vise.

It's really simple: 3/4" or heavier Plywood as a base to bolt onto, and a skinny piece to grip glued and screwed to the bottom of the base plate. I make the grip bar a little thicker than the WM jaw thickness, and cap it (Glued and screwed again) with some 1/4 ply or the like, so from the side it looks like an inverted "T". that "top" to the T is a safety in case the WM jaws vibrate loose. (I'm really hard on the setup sometimes)

For my Bench grinders and a couple other tools, I made the base an exact width to fit a section of shelves I made from 1X12s, and use adjustable shelf standards so I can rack them like a shelf. If you use regular shelves the Gripper T bar prevents them from sitting stable so if you go that route, use a couple of strips if say 2X2 front and back under the tool's base plate, so it is stable and not rocking around...

Harvey Melvin Richards
08-31-2012, 04:35 PM
That is not a wall mount its still a bench mount... :confused:

I guess I just have a more creative mind than you. Catalyze's vise mounts on a vertical surface. Where I come from, walls are vertical surfaces.

Most versions of Workmates don't work well on vertical surfaces either. I do recall that there was a wall mount model offered at one time. It folded down so that it was mostly flat to the wall when not in use.

bobcatdan
08-31-2012, 04:58 PM
If you don't have a strong bench to mount it to, I would make a soild stand and bolt it to the floor. I HATE vises mounted to crap that moves around. A soild vise is the foundation of any shop.

Outlawmws
08-31-2012, 05:14 PM
I guess I just have a more creative mind than you. Catalyze's vise mounts on a vertical surface. Where I come from, walls are vertical surfaces.

That vise would have to also go inside the wall...

http://www.garagejournal.com/forum/picture.php?albumid=981&pictureid=21307

Most versions of Workmates don't work well on vertical surfaces either. I do recall that there was a wall mount model offered at one time. It folded down so that it was mostly flat to the wall when not in use.

:wtf: I was talking about his saw, not the vise, and I was talking about a portable work surface, and never mentioned anything about a wall mount... :confused:

Harvey Melvin Richards
08-31-2012, 05:42 PM
That vise would have to also go inside the wall...

http://www.garagejournal.com/forum/picture.php?albumid=981&pictureid=21307

:wtf: I was talking about his saw, not the vise, and I was talking about a portable work surface, and never mentioned anything about a wall mount... :confused:

The link I posted was about Catalyze's Prentiss Model 85 Vise. The way he has it mounted it is a surface mount vise, mounted on a vertical surface. In fact it's even mounted on a 2 X 4, which was mentioned in the OP's 2nd post.

I was just giving you shit about the Workmate, but I guess you were still in a daze from my mention of a vertical surface. I actually missed the part about the bandsaw, when I see HF mention my mind goes blank, and I move on to something I can relate to.