View Full Version : 2001 Honda Civic Front End Clunk

jhelrey
12-08-2012, 10:34 PM
I replaced the following because they needed to be. IE: Ripped bushings, leaks, etc.

Both lower control arms and bushings
Lower ball joints
Complete front struts
Wheels all rebalanced
Wheel bearings
Sway bar link ends

Still got a clunk

Toolhorder
12-08-2012, 10:36 PM
I replaced the following because they needed to be. IE: Ripped bushings, leaks, etc.

Lower ball joints
Complete front struts
Wheels all rebalanced
Wheel bearings
Sway bar link ends

Still got a clunk

Did you use Honda OEM parts?

SKAutomotive
12-08-2012, 10:37 PM
Sway bar bushings. That's my blind guess. Get a pry bar and see if you can slide that sway bar back and forth.

jhelrey
12-08-2012, 11:01 PM
Did you use Honda OEM parts?

No, clunk has always been there. Car lived its life on gravel until I bought it.

jhelrey
12-08-2012, 11:01 PM
Sway bar bushings. That's my blind guess. Get a pry bar and see if you can slide that sway bar back and forth.

Going to toss it on the lift tomorrow and go through it again

Garage5.9
12-08-2012, 11:23 PM
When is the clunk clunking ?

Big-Foot
12-09-2012, 07:38 AM
Strut bearings buried up in the strut tower. Unless you buy the high end aftermarket strut kits or OEM, they typically don't come with them...

aussiek2000
12-09-2012, 07:46 AM
Under what conditions does it clunk. Motor/trans mount comes to mind.

checkthisout
12-09-2012, 08:04 AM
No, clunk has always been there. Car lived its life on gravel until I bought it.

Geez.

Tie-Rod ends (inner or outer either side, "nibble" steering wheel back and forth while listening for clunk, if clunk is heard place your hand on the tie-rod while assistant continues "nibbling" steering wheel :beer:), the sway bar bushings themselves (put your hand on the swaybar while somebody rocks the vehicle side to side).

Both these assume your new stuff is good and that your fasteners are tight.

A better description of the noise and conditions would help us help you.

jhelrey
12-09-2012, 08:17 AM
When is the clunk clunking ?

Over bumps at all speeds... More noticeable at slow speeds though. Def. from right front side. I'll try to update more today after it's been on the lift. I've maintained this car since new and all of the above parts were installed before I bought it. The front struts I just did because I pulled the bearing plate off, and I could compress the strut with my hands and it wouldn't come out like it should have

jhelrey
12-09-2012, 08:17 AM
Strut bearings buried up in the strut tower. Unless you buy the high end aftermarket strut kits or OEM, they typically don't come with them...

Monroe Quick Struts

Big-Foot
12-09-2012, 08:31 AM
Monroe Quick Struts

I have used those before and I know that they have a couple of variations. Did yours come with the bearing and mount? That's the part that actually bolts to the sheetmetal in the strut tower.

The only other thing I can think of is if your engine cradle (lower control arms are bolted to it in many typical cases) is tight. Also check that your steering rack is tight and that the bushings are not cracked, worn or oil soaked..

I have a set of Monroe quick struts here now for the wife's PT Cruiser and they have the bearings.

2Big2Ride
12-09-2012, 08:31 AM
Had one of those clunks a long time ago on a front wheel drive car that was not obvious, it was an inner tie rod joint. Slow speed, not at high speed, especially if the road surface wasn't smooth.

jhelrey
12-09-2012, 08:42 AM
I have used those before and I know that they have a couple of variations. Did yours come with the bearing and mount? That's the part that actually bolts to the sheetmetal in the strut tower.

The only other thing I can think of is if your engine cradle (lower control arms are bolted to it in many typical cases) is tight. Also check that your steering rack is tight and that the bushings are not cracked, worn or oil soaked..

I have a set of Monroe quick struts here now for the wife's PT Cruiser and they have the bearings.

Yes, came complete! I actually thought of the engine cradle, etc. My buddy is a mechanic as well as I am a very part time one. We both had it on the lift and found a clunk in the rear. Drive on lift with the rear of car lift via pinch welds. Def. get a clunk with a pry bar under driver rear wheel. Problem is with the unibody, it echos so we could not isolate the noise.

jhelrey
12-09-2012, 08:43 AM
Had one of those clunks a long time ago on a front wheel drive car that was not obvious, it was an inner tie rod joint. Slow speed, not at high speed, especially if the road surface wasn't smooth.

My tires are tight. No up down wobble or side to side.

Big-Foot
12-09-2012, 08:53 AM
Yes, came complete! I actually thought of the engine cradle, etc. My buddy is a mechanic as well as I am a very part time one. We both had it on the lift and found a clunk in the rear. Drive on lift with the rear of car lift via pinch welds. Def. get a clunk with a pry bar under driver rear wheel. Problem is with the unibody, it echos so we could not isolate the noise.

Sounds like you should have nailed the strut issue...

Double check the torque strap/bone from the engine to the core support area. Sometimes these things can be real bastards to find as you well know...

You'll need a few beers to get into the right frame of mind to do this but ----- check on a couple of the Honda Civic forums to see if anyone else has had this problem and if they found the solution...
Of course most those guys would just crank up the wattage to their sub-woofers and the clunk would go away! :dunno: :eyecrazy: :dunno:

crankshaftdan II
12-09-2012, 09:01 AM
I had a simular problem with a 01 corolla-mine was the sway bar links and only at 35 mph or less. Look for bare metal marks on the sway bar where you have a radius in the bar and it makes contact with the suspension. Mine was very small and a bright light(LED) shinning on the black/rusty parts made it stand out. Mine would rattle every time I would roll over a crack in the asphalt or joints in the concrete!

jhelrey
12-09-2012, 09:01 AM
LOL Big... been there already. Only thing I haven't checked is axle play. Some are saying that is the root of their problem.

Hghgrad
12-09-2012, 09:37 AM
Have you checked the lower control arm bushings?

The rear lower control arm bushings tend to wear out.

SKAutomotive
12-09-2012, 10:15 AM
Have you checked the lower control arm bushings?

The rear lower control arm bushings tend to wear out.

Lower ball joints
Complete front struts
Wheels all rebalanced
Wheel bearings
Sway bar link ends

Still got a clunk

:sad:

checkthisout
12-09-2012, 06:59 PM
Can you duplicate the clunk by rocking the vehicle heavily from side to side?

Generally best to do with one of the windows down. Push up as hard as you can to lift one side of the car up and down.

jhelrey
12-09-2012, 08:20 PM
I didn't get around to working on it today... We have been in a snow storm and have 12ish inches and it's still coming down... Parts would have been a pain to get if not impossible. Will save it for next week.

Jarhead0408
12-10-2012, 12:05 AM
Man, I have been down this road before.
I also have the same clunk. Everything's been replaced and still have it. I'm going to check out the ball bearing's in the P/S upper shock/strut assembly (Top Hat)
Good luck on the Honda forums. Lots of posts relating to this.
Just replaced my lower compliance bushings a while back.
The car is great at 224,000+ miles, but it's embarrassing if someone else hears it. Makes it sound like the car is a piece of crap.

jhelrey
12-10-2012, 06:22 AM
I agree Jar

SM Racing
12-11-2012, 08:52 AM
Look at the steering rack. On the early cars there was a plastic bushing in the passenger end of the steering rack. It was there to protect the aluminum rack case from the sliding steel rack and any debris that got between it. These bushings would wear out and you would get a slight rattle in the front end when the car was going over a rough road. It would typically show up under high frequency, low amplitude bump conditions.

jhelrey
12-11-2012, 07:57 PM
SM, thanks! I will take a look. It's something that has to do with both front wheels in common. That I am picking up by driving it more

mr.steevo
11-10-2013, 05:30 PM
SM, thanks! I will take a look. It's something that has to do with both front wheels in common. That I am picking up by driving it more

I hate being that guy who brings threads back from the dead but...any luck with finding the clunk?

jhelrey
11-10-2013, 06:39 PM
Nope!