View Full Version : What “gross food” do you love?

fflintstone
06-01-2013, 08:55 PM
What food do you eat and enjoy that most people find repulsive? Weird ethnic food, stuff out of the norm.

I have an adventurous pallet but there are some things I won’t try.

I myself love haggis and black pudding, kim chee (the smell can clear a lunchroom but I love the stuff)

I have tried and enjoyed Steak tartare, raw kibbie,

Don’t care for menudo, tripe, sweetbread, liver, brains, head cheese, scrapple, vegemite, fiddle fern, frog legs, turtle, pate, duck.

I won’t try Lutefisk, pickled herring, any weird fish for that matter, chitterlings, ETC.

malibu101
06-01-2013, 09:16 PM
Love may be a stong word for it, but I do like pig stomach very much.
It goes way back in my area/heritage. I wondered if it was common outside of PA Dutch country.
Usually the only way I can get it though is at church dinners or diner specials since my wife is repulsed by the thought and my mom can't make it anymore.
Link to what it is- http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Saumagen

I've had people think I was a crazy, inbred, lunatic for eating squirrels too.
I like squirrels better than rabbits though.

EDIT- Most other PA Dutch stuff like tripe, tounge, souse I do not like.
I can eat scrapple if it's the only "meat" available at breakfast but I would never go out of my way for it.

Tarheelgarage
06-01-2013, 09:16 PM
Love chitlins.

chitterlings for all you yankees...:lol_hitti

Tunger
06-01-2013, 09:18 PM
I Love frog legs and calf fries. Other than that I don't get very adventurous.

Sent from my GT-P3113 using Tapatalk 2

colt zantop
lots of people dont like sushi but I LOVE LOVE LOVE IT!!

colt zantop
oh yeah!! ^^^^ I second frog legs......and turtle is damn good too!

Exceller8
06-01-2013, 09:19 PM
I had some menudo today, yummy!

HeavyMetalMasterTech
06-01-2013, 09:23 PM
Anything "cajun" style. The more burned, the better. Except steak...Steaks rare...Everything else, throw it in the fire and LET IT BURN

TruckMechanic
06-01-2013, 09:25 PM
I'm another for Turtle and Squirrel.

superspec
06-01-2013, 09:34 PM
If I grid the meat i m good with kibbie. I had one family who would only deal with me for 12 years. The only adventurous things that I'm willing to try are sushi/sashimi. Beef,pork, and poultry are off limits.

larry_g
06-01-2013, 09:37 PM
Beef tongue and heart.

lg
no neat sig line

mackwrench
06-01-2013, 09:40 PM
I don't think its gross but my wife does....raw oysters, right out the 1/2 shell, no cracker no nothing....just oyster, lol

Jawn
06-01-2013, 09:41 PM
Livercheese.

Also, it's a bit more mainstream but I love sushi.

december45
06-01-2013, 09:45 PM
heritage"wize" im good with Lutefisk, Potato Klub, Rice Grut, lefse and a ton of other Norwegian food, its part of growing up norwegian.
I guess you could call this kind of food wierd but not really wierd to me.

bigbubba
06-01-2013, 09:58 PM
oh yeah!! ^^^^ I second frog legs......and turtle is damn good too!

+2! I also like squirrel brains and scrambled eggs!Rocky mountain oysters as well if they are fresh and done right.:thumbup:

OHMS LAW
06-01-2013, 10:05 PM
Rocky Mountain oysters are a real thing?

MoparTrucks
06-01-2013, 10:09 PM
I am pretty much good with all of the above except Lutefisk and any kind of brains. Beef tongue is one of the best parts of the cow and no one around here in the Ozark cattle country where we live eats it so we get a lot for free. Once you cook it and peel it it just looks and tastes like the best beefiest roast you could imagine and its great for tacos (Tacos de Lengua).

I also like ox tail, pickled pigs feet, sardines, snails, raw clams, and sea urchin roe.

Oh yea, and pickled egs.

mds5951
06-01-2013, 10:10 PM

Yup. Bull nuts.

joe.gravelle
06-01-2013, 10:37 PM
Fried Calamari?.. its not that weird I guess.

F16CrewChief
06-01-2013, 10:38 PM
Korean kimchi......with some beef bulgogi!!

Miter Wrench
06-01-2013, 10:51 PM
Black olives seemed to be frowned upon in my family but I can eat a can in one sitting.

fotoflojoe
06-01-2013, 10:52 PM
Any kind of sushi/sashimi/maki, raw oysters (Kumamatos and Merrys), beef carpaccio... Yum!

619DioFan
06-01-2013, 10:57 PM
Liver , yummy although most cooks " over cook " it then it is like trying to eat an old boot.

purplezr2
06-01-2013, 10:59 PM
Heart, Lutefisk, Herring

machine_punk
06-01-2013, 11:03 PM
- escargot (snails) love them.

- foie gras (goose liver - pronounced 'fwa gwa') it is a gourmet thing, lotsa people like it, but a lot of people I know don't like it either.

- sushi with the salmon roe (eggs). Most people gross out at the popping sensation in your mouth when you eat it.

Kev

bigbubba
06-01-2013, 11:06 PM

Yup. Bull nuts.

Yes they are real! My great uncle was the foreman of a large ranch here in southern Mo. Every year they would make a party out of gathering the bull calves and cutting them to get ready for the sale barn. Always had a few kegs of beer and hush puppies,slaw and fresh deer meat to go along with it:drool:

bibman
06-01-2013, 11:18 PM
Head Cheese, Liverwurst, Jaternice, Blood sausage (non czech), Head cheese, sweet breads, Jelita, lutefisk, pickled herring, blind robins, pickled eggs, pickled turkey gizzards, pickled chicken hearts.

Rickstir
06-01-2013, 11:30 PM
Good old fashioned Head Cheese.

racinfarmer
06-01-2013, 11:51 PM
I used to think I'd eat damn near anything at least once, but some of the stuff listed here - NO WAY!

I can't think of anything weird I enjoy. Raw kidney beans maybe?

dsimatt
06-02-2013, 12:13 AM
I like pickled herring which is tame.

This video is hilarious watching some bad boys get beaten by a can of food, this is swearing and takes till 1;30 to get good.

http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=509_1366952366

Danglerb
06-02-2013, 12:41 AM
Don't know how odd it is, but I've had pickled herring on the same plate as a slice of cake.

No idea why people turn up their nose to tongue and still eat hot dogs. Simple fact head meat is the tastiest.

Sushi is great, kimchi by the bucket.

Stuff for the adventurous to try;

1000 year egg.
Korean BBQ has tripe and intestines, no thanks.
Brazilian BBQ chicken hearts, alligator, frog legs.

Main thing with any raw food is that it needs to be fresh and good quality.

olytdi
06-02-2013, 12:44 AM
Fish: squid and all fish and shellfish -- crab, lobster, clams (all kinds) and oysters, raw especially.

Mammals: squirrel -- grew-up hunting them and eating them in PA. Rabbit, deer, bear, whatever. Ate a possum once (in a stew) wasn't impressed -- wasn't a problem.

Birds: grouse is the best! Turkey, dove, pigeon, pheasant.

Domestics: Pigs, cows, goats, sheep, chickens, turkeys.

Amphibians: bullfrog legs rule! I abstain from other amphibs for conservation reasons.

Reptiles: have had a variety of snakes but one should choose carefully -- some are endangered while others invasive (have at em!).

Invertebrates: I've eaten a number of insects in Latin American markets -- mostly beetles and varieties of grasshoppers. They're really interesting.

Bear
06-02-2013, 01:18 AM
Limburger cheese

ddawg16
06-02-2013, 03:53 AM
Some of you guys are making me hungry....

Kimci? Sushi? Liver? Serve me up.....oh, and toss on a side of frog legs...actually, I'll just go gig them myself....

But I do have a short list of things that will not go in my mouth....

Raw onions
Boiled Okra
Silk Worms from Korea
Balut
Hog Head Cheese (my dad loved that stuff)

Moose-LandTran
06-02-2013, 03:58 AM
I like raw potatoes. (Peeled)

Daniel Dudley
06-02-2013, 05:50 AM

I am under the impression that uncooked potatoes are un digestible.

Johnny chaos
06-02-2013, 06:45 AM
Kimchi, sour kraut, pickeled herring, frog legs, alligator, sushi, all pretty tame to me; love them all :)

However, I do not like organs of any kind, from any animal. The only exception would be ignorance ( hot dogs, sausages etc)

Pont
06-02-2013, 07:41 AM
Liver-cheese and blue cheese the stinker the better.

Solid Lifters
06-02-2013, 08:05 AM
Smoked pigs head. Brine it for three-four days, smoke it for about 20 hours, crack the skull, chop up the brains, eyes, cheeks, snout, ears (for crispy texture), tongue and serve it in a taco chopped onion or pico de gallo.

http://thisisatastyburger.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/12/0-224x300.jpg

Sorry, not my pic. Haven't had this in a few years.

TAMPAGT07
06-02-2013, 08:21 AM
Blackened gator tail...

Moose-LandTran
06-02-2013, 08:23 AM

My iron gut will digest anything. I ate two of them earlier.

TAMPAGT07
06-02-2013, 08:24 AM
Oh yeah, Moose-L-T just reminded me........Moose Jerky.....Sorry Moose....

p_mori7
06-02-2013, 08:41 AM
Poutine !

http://s9.postimg.org/kodyh1h4f/poutine.jpg (http://postimg.org/image/pzsv1r36z/full/)

0.511MeV
06-02-2013, 08:43 AM
I try to "go native" whenever and wherever I travel. I'm actually struggling to think of things I've turned down without trying.

I ate tripe yesterday actually.

Pickled herring is a delicacy. I love the stuff. But I don't think I've tried anything pickled that I didn't like.

Roasted ants are good, just crunchy and smokey.

Sushi/sashimi is one of my favorite foods. When I lived near a coast, I probably ate sushi 3 or 4 times a week.

I don't know, I just like food and I like to try new foods.

Trainman
06-02-2013, 08:46 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qq4mqCDakVQ

malibu101
06-02-2013, 08:59 AM

My grandfather often had a raw potato as part of his lunch.
He lived a long healthy life.

So, I am sure people can and do eat them raw.

The Hot Rod Grille
06-02-2013, 09:02 AM
Fried squirrel and squirrel gravy.

Jim

jeffmoss26
06-02-2013, 09:13 AM
Growing up going to the Jewish Deli I will eat just about anything! Pickled herring, tongue, chopped liver, all good stuff that make others cringe lol

I love Sushi too, but to me that's not gross. It's become very mainstream here.

theoldwizard1
06-02-2013, 09:13 AM
I won’t try Lutefisk, pickled herring, any weird fish for that matter, chitterlings, ETC.

But being from MI, I'll bet you have had smoke chub ! I prefer smoke whitefish or smoked salmon.

theoldwizard1
06-02-2013, 09:23 AM
Poutine !
Never had it, but I would like to try it !

Seems like you can't find it outside of Quebec.

richfinn
06-02-2013, 09:24 AM
Steak and kidney pudding

Pork scratchings

Oxtail soup

Blue Stilton cheese

Octopus in Ink sauce (Spanish tapas)

MScott
06-02-2013, 09:41 AM

It is readily available in Ontario. I know they even have it at Harveys.

fflintstone
06-02-2013, 09:42 AM
well so far nobody has professed a love for haggis or steak tartare yet, which are great.

and nobody has mentioned vegemite and fiddle fern (yuk) yet.

I didn't mention sushi because to me it is not that far out of the norm. I like GOOD sushi, but if you get BAD sushi it can sour you for a while.

Since I have moved to mid Michigan I am in an ethnic food vacuum. Or a quality food void if you will. I hate reading food review where they always qualify it with (for mid Michigan it’s…..) When I lived in Oakland County I could get just about anything. Tons of different ethnic grocery stores. Hell up here I can even get a real Gyro! Only one “Greek” restaurant in Saginasty 50 min’s away and they cook there gyro in a loaf pan,,,, AARRGGHH!

Real Thai food, forget it. Good Italian food? Yeah right. We just got an olive garden in midland, the fact it isn’t a macaroni grill just baffles me. For roughly the same price as olive garden (putrid god awful Italian food) you can go to a macaroni grill (pretty good Italian)

In midland we are fortunate to have a decent Indian restaurant but I can’t afford to eat there. We have good, cheap chinese buffet. There is a great polish restaurant in Bay city. A couple decent mexican restaurants in Saginasty.

imperialman67
06-02-2013, 09:45 AM
well so far nobody has professed a love for steak tartare yet.

MMMMM!:thumbup::thumbup:

PKAero
06-02-2013, 09:47 AM
Just finished a mayonnaise and crunchy peanut butter sandwich washed down with buttermilk for breakfast.

fflintstone
06-02-2013, 09:54 AM
But being from MI, I'll bet you have had smoke chub ! I prefer smoke whitefish or smoked salmon.

No, not much on fish at all, or seafood for that matter. The only fish I will eat is a lightly seared tuna steak, some of the milder fish in sushi, and caned albacore tuna. I like shrimp and properly cooked scallops, don’t even like lobster or crab. Nobody in my family likes fish witch kinda sucks as my dad was a master angler when it came to stealhead, (rainbow trout) salmon and walleye.

The Cadieux café is the only place that can make edible muscles, and I had them anytime I took someone feather bowling.
http://www.cadieuxcafe.com/

hudone
06-02-2013, 10:06 AM
McDonalds McRiib sandwich:lol_hitti

ThreeJ97
06-02-2013, 10:08 AM
Czernina, a Polish soup made of duck blood.

HeavyMetalMasterTech
06-02-2013, 10:18 AM
Czernina, a Polish soup made of duck blood.

absolutely delish

Dimitri
06-02-2013, 10:31 AM
I'm actually struggling to think of things I've turned down without trying.

I am the same, plus with living in Toronto, I can eat nearly every cultures food within a few dozen kilometers from home so I don't have to take too many trips to enjoy "interesting" food. I have yet to turn down a plate of food, either during traveling or trying to find ethnic restaurants here.

I always ask for the "second" menu, when I notice not too many "ethnic" dishes on the regular menu. Many really native restaurants keep two menus, one in English with less "gross food" (Westernized food) and one with their more unique platters. Ordering from said second menu which more than likely has no English on it can be interesting to say the least. :lol_hitti

Most of this food listed here just made me hungry.

Dimitri

MoparTrucks
06-02-2013, 11:04 AM
McDonalds McRiib sandwich:lol_hitti Dude thats pretty sick; you win.

celticbhoy
06-02-2013, 11:09 AM
First of all, Poutine is not gross, it's the best. If anyone tells you it's gross, give them a good smack upside the head.

I'm half Ukrainian and make a lot of traditional Ukrainian foods. Often times i'll bring some to school or work and people will comment that it looks/sounds gross like deruny (potato pancakes), borscht (beet soup), cabbage rolls, or syrnyky (tiny pancakes with sour cream, jam, and honey).

theoldwizard1
06-02-2013, 11:09 AM
... and nobody has mentioned vegemite ...
I tried Vegemite long before the Village People (had friends from down under). WAY TOO SALTY !

I didn't mention sushi because to me it is not that far out of the norm. I like GOOD sushi, but if you get BAD sushi it can sour you for a while.
Some of the sushi you find in grocery stores (very mainstream, California Roll, etc) isn't half bad as long as it is fresh.

Since I have moved to mid Michigan I am in an ethnic food vacuum. Or a quality food void if you will.
I hear ya ! I rent a place on Elk Lake, (the biggest city north of Midland) and finding a decent restaurant is a real challenge ! Pearl's in Elk River is psedu-cajun. Not bad, but I'm sure it is nowhere as good as what you can get LA or MS.

There are a few passable place in Traverse City, but they aren't ethnic, unless you think pasties are !

In midland we are fortunate to have a decent Indian restaurant but I can’t afford to eat there.
The best Indian restaurant, Blue Peacock, closed down a couple of years ago (victim of the auto downturn). I haven't had Tandoori Chicken, Matar Paneer or Naan in years.

There is a great polish restaurant in Bay city.
If you are ever in Dearborn/Melvindale/Allen Park you have to go to Sabina's ! City Chicken with Mash Potatoes and Kraut, Potato Pancakes, Pirogis. And cheap too ! I don't know if it is Polish, but get an order (or 2) of cucumber salad.

walrus
06-02-2013, 11:12 AM
fiddle fern (yuk) yet..

Those are sold on the roadside all over Maine in the spring, called fiddleheads. I'm not a huge fan but I've eaten them

What about Dandelion greens? Another Maine spring favorite. My mom in law brings down a pot every year, haven't acquired a taste for them either.

theoldwizard1
06-02-2013, 11:19 AM
First of all, Poutine is not gross, it's the best.
You can get Poutine in B.C. ?

celticbhoy
06-02-2013, 11:23 AM
You can get Poutine in B.C. ?

Oh for sure. There's a few quebecois restaurants here in Vancouver and they make really good poutine. I think even the Burger Kings here serve poutine haha.

Tarheelgarage
06-02-2013, 11:28 AM
I've eaten my own nose buggers recently and find them relatively satisfying...:beer:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eating_mucus

celticbhoy
06-02-2013, 11:30 AM
I've eaten my own nose buggers recently and find them relatively satisfying...:beer:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eating_mucus

I know a guy who eats his eye goop daily... you know, the stuff that sits in the corners of your eye when you wake up?

Jawn
06-02-2013, 11:34 AM

I had it at a burger place in Prince George, BC. Darn tasty!

Kevin54
06-02-2013, 11:34 AM
Someone above mentioned black olives. Try stuffing them with Philadelphia Cream Cheese. Good stuff!!!

And I don't know whether it's gross or not, at least to me it isn't, but Beef Tongue. My mom used to make it quite often. Cooked in a pressure cooker, let it cool, peel the outer layer off, slice it, and have some fresh buns loaded with Mayo. Damn good sammie for sure. Also Oysters. Rolled in a breadcrumb, egg batter and fried, or in Oyster Dressing. Oh yea :rocker:

dsimatt
06-02-2013, 11:44 AM
Its funny here in the USA we think all these dishes are nasty but are mainstays in other countries. I love watching this cooking show about south korean food that some looks good and some wouldn't make it down my throat.

OHMS LAW
06-02-2013, 11:45 AM
When I was a cook,a chef I worked for had made a visit up north and brought down poutin, but with a Texas twist, fresh cut fries, venison lone star beer chilli, topped with gruyere cheese sauce and two fried eggs.

malibu101
06-02-2013, 11:46 AM
What about Dandelion greens? Another Maine spring favorite. My mom in law brings down a pot every year, haven't acquired a taste for them either.

I swear I was going to mention that in my first post but thought it was not a "gross" food.
Dandelion greens with hot bacon dressing is another springtime favorite here too.
I eat it but personally prefer cold dressings on my salads.

Outlander
06-02-2013, 11:49 AM
Oh for sure. There's a few quebecois restaurants here in Vancouver and they make really good poutine. I think even the Burger Kings here serve poutine haha.

My wife's family comes from the 'home of the poutine', or at least pretty close to it. I guess it could be considered a major export, right after Celine.

bczygan
06-02-2013, 11:50 AM
Hearts and noodles, calf brains and eggs, boiled cows tongue and mustard sandwiches (Took them for elementary school lunch), SCRAPPLE (Used to live near Philly)!!!, Limberger cheese, Pickled pigs feet, Pate, cannibal sandwiches...YUM, YUM, YUM!!!

Kevin54
06-02-2013, 12:08 PM
I swear I was going to mention that in my first post but thought it was not a "gross" food.
Dandelion greens with hot bacon dressing is another springtime favorite here too.
I eat it but personally prefer cold dressings on my salads.

My wife made a large mess of dandelion greens for her brother last month I think. She asked me if I wanted any. Hell no. She'll eat that but not oysters. I guess if you put enough bacon grease on anything though it will make it go down.

One thing I can't stand to eat is peas or Brussels sprouts. Both of those will make it part way down then the gag reflex kicks in :lol:

Haukur
06-02-2013, 12:10 PM
Lamb heart. Cut up into goulash, fried on a pan with salt and pepper, then boiled in brown gravy made from extract from the pan.

Minke whale steaks. But you must know how to cook them, when overcooked they can get a fish oil taste to them.

Dried fish. Fillets hung to dry in the sun and wind, until no moisture remains. When you first tear the fillet apart it looks like woodsplinters, but it softens very quickly in the mouth. Butter is a must with dried fish.

trainer
06-02-2013, 12:23 PM
[QUOTE=celticbhoy;3147448]First of all, Poutine is not gross, it's the best. If anyone tells you it's gross, give them a good smack upside the head.

QUOTE]

Lots of french around here, so It's not hard to find a restaraunt that serves poutine, but it is hard to find one that serves good poutine.
Usually you get soggy fries topped with lumpy instant gravy and shredded mozzarella.

fflintstone
06-02-2013, 12:35 PM
FWIW if you have a Coney island chain around you, like national Coney in SE Michigan, the %100 beef in the chili sauce is actually organ meat like beef-heart lungs etc. by contrast there are parts of an animal you cannot put into a hotdog here that you can in other states.

Glenn M.
06-02-2013, 12:48 PM
Not that it's gross, but I've had water buffalo steaks in the Philippines that were more tender and tasty than any beef I've ever had here in the states...

66HertzClone
06-02-2013, 12:51 PM
Black olives seemed to be frowned upon in my family but I can eat a can in one sitting.

My son loves these, when he was younger he wanted them ten at a time. :lol_hitti Yep, one stuck on the end of his fingers and thumbs. Now he has moved up to the stuffed green olives with pimentos.

softailgarage
06-02-2013, 12:59 PM
Not exotic, but my mom likes peanut butter & onion sandwiches and I've had cream cheese and black olive sandwiches.

Krash Kadillak
06-02-2013, 01:39 PM
I don't consider it 'gross', but the rest of my family does - corned beef hash. They equate it with dog food.... i also like braunschuager (sp?) sandwiches.

Jaralaccs
06-02-2013, 03:35 PM
Rattlesnake.
Probably the only unusual thing I've eaten

Jeff
06-02-2013, 03:38 PM
Kim Chi
Snails

walrus
06-02-2013, 03:38 PM
And I don't know whether it's gross or not, at least to me it isn't, but Beef Tongue. My mom used to make it quite often. Cooked in a pressure cooker, let it cool, peel the outer layer off, slice it, and have some fresh buns loaded with Mayo. Damn good sammie for sure.:
My mom made tongue also, horseradish and mayo, excellent sandwich

She also made peanut Butter, red onions, bean sprouts and mayo sandwiches, awesome

Tarheelgarage
06-02-2013, 03:45 PM
I've had to take a bite out of a shit sandwich a couple of times in my life; not too bad once you get past the smell....:lol_hitti

Glenn M.
06-02-2013, 04:03 PM
I've had to take a bite out of a shit sandwich a couple of times in my life; not too bad once you get past the smell....:lol_hitti

:beer:

plewlandsbob
06-02-2013, 04:46 PM
[QUOTE=fflintstone;3147279]well so far nobody has professed a love for haggis or steak tartare yet, which are great.

Being Scottish, I love haggis! Have you ever tried frying it and putting it in a sandwich? Liver, either stewed,with vegatables or chopped and fried with bacon and onions.

We used to get potted head. It was all the meaty bits from a cows head, minced up and cooked together. Used to eat it cold. Can't get it nowadays.

Tongue is good. Don't like kidney on its own.

fflintstone
06-02-2013, 04:51 PM
I don't consider it 'gross', but the rest of my family does - corned beef hash. They equate it with dog food.... i also like braunschuager (sp?) sandwiches.

I eat canned corned beef hash and it is OK but making real corned beef hash from scratch …YUMMM!
Julian potatoes and onions fried, add the left over corned beef roast, cook until the potatoes start to crisp a little then crack eggs over them for a runny sunny side up. heaven for breakfast!

fflintstone
06-02-2013, 05:02 PM
[QUOTE=fflintstone;3147279]well so far nobody has professed a love for haggis or steak tartare yet, which are great.

Being Scottish, I love haggis! Have you ever tried frying it and putting it in a sandwich? Liver, either stewed,with vegatables or chopped and fried with bacon and onions.

We used to get potted head. It was all the meaty bits from a cows head, minced up and cooked together. Used to eat it cold. Can't get it nowadays.

Tongue is good. Don't like kidney on its own.

I never tried haggis or black pudding till my trip to Scotland in 2002. There I was introduced to the “full English breakfast” pure heaven. We cannot get that wonderful Scottish bacon here though and even the sausages were awesome. We get similar sausages at a Scottish bakery in Livonia, but they are not the same.

The closest thing to Scottish bacon here is a bone in smoked porkchop.

My ancestry is Scottish/English but most came here in the 1800’s with the English vein coming in pre revolutionary war.

warmpancakes
06-02-2013, 05:06 PM
now im hungry, Ive got a meat loaf in oven thats 1/2 venison shhh dont tell the wife

mdkingsley
06-02-2013, 05:08 PM
Boiled okra here, my family and pretty much everyone I ever met except my mother thought it was nasty.

esmith2039
06-02-2013, 05:20 PM
Just black olives according to my wife. But she has no room to talk since she prefer's her Laos/Thai food. Look up Balut.. had that in the house more than once. Yuk!!

Toolhorder
06-02-2013, 05:25 PM

I had that for breakfast this morning but I'm Irish so I dig it.:pimpflash

HeelSpur
06-02-2013, 05:26 PM
Just black olives according to my wife. But she has no room to talk since she prefer's her Laos/Thai food. Look up Balut.. had that in the house more than once. Yuk!!Your right that's pretty nasty:Freak:

Kevin54
06-02-2013, 05:45 PM

I love me some Brawnsweiger (sp). I usually have it between two Ritz crackers. And if I'm hungry and don't want to wait too long to eat, we'll crack open a can of Hash. It's been probably 40 years though since I've had some real Hash that was homemade. One thing about my mom I can say good is that she was a great cook.

And yea....Corned Beef Hash does look and smell about like a can of Alpo :lol:

One thing I think is really gross and I don't know how to spell it is Pawnhouse :dunno: Guts and shit in a gelatin like substance. My wife loves it and my dad always loved it. To me it just plain flat out looks nasty.

When I found out what hotdogs were made from it took me a long time to ever eat them again.

My wife told me that when she first started working at the shop, they would go around right before lunch with a cart so the people could get their lunch off of it instead of going out to eat or packing. The biggest seller....Brain sandwiches :wtf::puke:

celticbhoy
06-02-2013, 05:50 PM
Haggis, black pudding, none of that stuff phases me. All delicious.

Ray-CA
06-02-2013, 05:55 PM
Haggis, kimchee, pickled sea-cucumber, sushi, according to my wife-shrimp, Laphroaig single-malt (very "peaty")

Ray

Toolman12
06-02-2013, 05:58 PM
Poutine !

http://s9.postimg.org/kodyh1h4f/poutine.jpg (http://postimg.org/image/pzsv1r36z/full/)

i love poutine and haven't had it in a very long time
Also i can't believe no one has said haggis yet

jwhcars
06-02-2013, 05:58 PM
Baked stuffed pig stomach with sausage , potatoes etc.

jd_1138
06-02-2013, 06:12 PM
Most people hate it (even Brits and Aussies), but Marmite and Vegemite are both good and are a good source of minerals, vitamins, and some protein. They both make a good sandwich (bread and cheese). Just spread it thin on both pieces of bread and put cheese in between. It's a salty/savory taste. Also it's good on toast with or without butter. And on crackers, too. The Vegemite is Australian, and Marmite is English. I prefer Vegemite if I had to choose between the 2. The local grocery store has Marmite in the international foods section. Be good for your survival kit.

http://whatscookingamerica.net/History/Vegemite.jpg

Chaz
06-02-2013, 06:21 PM
Peanut butter and mayo sandwiches
Blood sausage
Liver and onions
sarma
sardine and mustard sandwiches
Coffee poured over crumbled soda crackers eaten out of a bowl like cereal.

caper150
06-02-2013, 07:21 PM
Poutine !

This is anything but gross. Love that stuff, I've even converted some friends into wanting it.:lol_hitti

MScott
06-02-2013, 08:30 PM
Some consider my favourite sandwich gross. Rye bread, peanut butter, sardines and dill pickle. Yum!!!

uniballer
06-02-2013, 08:38 PM
peanut butter and bannana sandwich
stew with rabbit, deer and squirrel
frog legs, turtle
anything from a pig!
potted meat!!!!
brains and eggs

uniballer
06-02-2013, 08:39 PM
Poutine !

what is in that, and can you send me some!
looks wonderful:thumbup:

jhelrey
06-02-2013, 08:57 PM
Ick!!!!

HTGTS350
06-02-2013, 09:01 PM
I prefer Promite over Vegemite, less tang.

fflintstone
06-02-2013, 09:04 PM
Poutine doesn’t sound bad at all, hell I personally want to that the stoned Coney operator who invented chili cheese fries.

Some of the best fries I ever had was in the chip wagons on the side of the road there in Ontario.
You Canadians do some weird shit to your fries thought, vinegar? Yuck, mayo? Yuck.

bibman
06-02-2013, 09:04 PM

And the bread ya got..... The less shit ya have to eat!

CNGsaves
06-02-2013, 09:09 PM
I never tried them, but grandma just loved . . . . Pickled Pigs Feet !!

As for me, I love chicken livers, or even gizzards.

caper150
06-02-2013, 09:44 PM

Homemade french fries, cheese curds smothered in gravy:drool::drool::drool:

Tarheelgarage
06-02-2013, 10:57 PM

that shit looks like something I up-chucked the other night after getting way too drunk...:lol_hitti

rlitman
06-03-2013, 09:32 AM
Ok, here's a different one.

Aloe beverage. Tastes great, but you have to get past the fact that a beverage is kinda chunky.

lisiecki1
06-03-2013, 09:45 AM
Peanut butter and pickle sandwiches

ed_v
06-03-2013, 10:12 AM
I'm pretty simple. My most gross food is probably liver cheese. I love it!

My wife gets grossed out at my fried bologna sandwiches.

Ed

zuk123
06-03-2013, 10:50 AM
Fried duck lungs- battered and deep fried, with sesame seeds. So good I got seconds.

Fried cod fish tongues- battered and deep fried, with cubes of fried salted pork fat. Taste like clam strips with the same texture.

zuk

I'll add boiled ham hocks (pig ankle, boiled with bay leaves until it falls off the bone.)

Scots breakfast- oh my, so many meats, so tasty!

Didn't think braunshwieger (sp?) was exotic, or chicken hearts or gizzards, or raw beef.

Didn't like ants.

Draw the line at most bugs.

Chuckleins
06-03-2013, 12:45 PM
Pig Stomach and scrapple - but the scrapple has to be crispy

canbug
06-03-2013, 01:09 PM
Pickled sausage out of the jar at the local watering hole. If you cut them up and nuke em, they have an even stronger flavour of vinegar.

Tim.

mudhog
06-03-2013, 02:35 PM
If you worked with me you possible ate possum, coon, deer hearts, cerviche, javilina, frogs, squirrel, catfish eggs. Chicken livers and gizzards won't last but a few minutes and it all be gone. Had pizza covered in black olives and anchovies saturday, beef liver sunday, and deer steak today but all that's every day grub.

Jazz
06-03-2013, 03:26 PM
I used to love pickled pigs feet as a kid, haven't had them in years. Now maybe frogs legs and crayfish. I also really like seared tuna heads, its a Japanese food. The heads have the best meat on the whole fish because they don't use those muscles to swim and they are the richest, fattiest parts of the fish. I do not eat the eyes though some Japanese people do.

fflintstone
06-15-2013, 09:34 AM
black pudding for breakfast today.

Maexle
06-15-2013, 09:55 AM
Bloodsausage:

http://farm5.staticflickr.com/4025/4357249444_0288abdd52.jpg

LOVE IT !!!

Dale Leeds
06-15-2013, 10:07 AM
Saltine crackers with peanut butter and a dill pickle on top with an extra dash of salt. Yummy hor d'oeuvres!!

3 at 8
06-15-2013, 10:39 AM
White Castle

Tarheelgarage
06-15-2013, 11:02 AM
I used to love pickled pigs feet as a kid, haven't had them in years. Now maybe frogs legs and crayfish. I also really like seared tuna heads, its a Japanese food. The heads have the best meat on the whole fish because they don't use those muscles to swim and they are the richest, fattiest parts of the fish. I do not eat the eyes though some Japanese people do.

Pickled pigs feet; now you just made me hungry.

Will pick up a jar at Food Lion today....:thumbup:

Ron Fletcher
06-16-2013, 12:04 AM
This reminds me of the last time I read "Dear Abby" in the newspaper. It was September 1992. A woman wrote in and said, "Dear Abby. My husband lays on the couch all day and eats objects out of every orifice in his body. What should I do?" And that was the last time I ever read "Dear Abby".

wrench409
06-16-2013, 01:04 AM
I have been told by a family member that cottage cheese being made is pretty gross. However I like it.

Cottage cheese with chopped fresh spinach, sea salt, cracked black pepper with just a dash of Blue Cheese dressing. Add chopped black olives and chopped cashews or pecans to taste.

Nice to know I'm not alone in peanut butter with mayo sandwiches. Most of the time though I eat peanut butter straight out out the jar (my wife says that's gross), but if Annette Funicello can, so can I.

BTW, what is poutine?

kmk7110
06-16-2013, 01:25 AM
I love tiger meat(raw beef), potato pancakes, venison anything, uncooked spaghetti noodles, lots of raw foods or frozen foods. absolutely love raw potatoes. tried buffalo as well which was good too.

nothing all too strange different tho

wrench409
06-16-2013, 01:48 AM
I love tiger meat(raw beef), potato pancakes, venison anything, uncooked spaghetti noodles, lots of raw foods or frozen foods. absolutely love raw potatoes. tried buffalo as well which was good too.

nothing all too strange different tho

I ate Buffalo steak at The Fort near Denver and the people there were appalled that I asked for it well done. I was pissed they simply refused to bring me plain water. They insisted on 'lemon' water. Tasted like battery acid to me. Since when is the customer wrong? I'll never go back.

Nocturnal-G
06-16-2013, 04:09 AM
Surprised no one mentioned sprats, I love them... Latvian smoked sprats, need to try the German kind.

As for the rest of the gross stuff... Sashimi, caviar, ketchup and bread, plain yogurt and spaghetti, chicken gizzards, chicken ass, raw oysters, but yeah definitely sprats. I eat them straight with a side of mashed potatoes and peas. Oh and if quail counts, I eat that too.

aar0s
06-16-2013, 09:25 AM
Wife tells me that nutella is nasty but I like it.

malibu101
06-16-2013, 09:40 AM

I just heard of this Nutella a few months ago. Never seen it before. :dunno:
My 12 year old son had some at a friends house and wanted some. He loves it! Now we always have some in the house.

I tried some. :eek7:
It will never be one of the things I grab when looking for something to eat.

zack99
06-16-2013, 10:00 AM
Not precisely a food, but I like unsweetened black coffee. I just roll my eyes when I see someone adding mass quantities of milk and sugar to a cup of coffee.

Ron Fletcher
06-16-2013, 10:03 AM
White Castle You really got me into trouble, 3 at 8. I read this last night, then ran out and got me a crate (30) White Castle cheeseburgers. I ended up eating about 1/2 of them. Yep, trouble it was (if you know what I mean). But thanks!! That's the kind of trouble I love. Yummy!! Yummy!! --:bounce:

MDSPHOTO
06-16-2013, 10:22 AM
Flying fish eggs.

Jay Sco
06-16-2013, 10:49 AM
Love sushi/sashimi, kim chee, and chicken gizzards. Tripas (goat intestine) is good too. Beef head is ok but pretty greasy. Stomach in menudo is good if its the firm chewy part, don't care for the soft slimy part. I've had escargots and goat brain, didn't care for either. Had a house special bowl of pho once, menu was all foreign so I had no idea what was in it, I could taste some beef liver, didn't even ask what else it had. I guess technically hotdogs and chorizo could be considered 'weird'.
I'm sure there's more that I've forgotten or just consider normal.

honda_fox3
06-16-2013, 10:53 AM
Pan fried spam sandwich with sharp cheddar.

T56 Impala
06-16-2013, 11:56 AM
About the oddest thing I really like is SPAM. Oh, well guess I'm kinda boring.

Kevin54
06-16-2013, 12:39 PM
Not precisely a food, but I like unsweetened black coffee. I just roll my eyes when I see someone adding mass quantities of milk and sugar to a cup of coffee.

Oh most definitely :thumbup::thumbup: I have to have my coffee in the morning, every morning, or the day will not go right. The wife and I will go through two pots of coffee each morning.

Before we got our new WallyWorld that is open 24/7, I got up one morning to fix coffee, filled the decanter and hit the sink with it and it broke. :scared: This was at 4:00 in the morning. No place open to get coffee, and no place at that time to get a decanter. :mad: It was Sunday and WallyWorld at the time didn't open until 8:00am I think. It literally ruined the whole day. So now we keep an extra coffee maker and extra decanter on hand just in case of emergency.

Kevin54
06-16-2013, 12:54 PM
Pan fried spam sandwich with sharp cheddar.

About the oddest thing I really like is SPAM. Oh, well guess I'm kinda boring.

When I was a teen, I really liked fried Spam. Of course you come home with the "buzz" on and were starved. If it wasn't a frozen pizza, it was crack open a can of Spam and fry it up. A little cheese, a little lettuce, a few dill pickles and I was good. :thumbup:

One day not too long ago, the wife and I were at the grocery and I spied the Spam and thought.....That sounds pretty good. A fried Spam Sammie. Good God, :wtf: I don't know what possessed me to eat that when I was young. That stuff was NASTY :puke::puke:

Grounded Ken
06-16-2013, 02:17 PM
Shredded dried spicy squid in the snack section of your favorite Asian grocery.
Kinda like a fishy jerky!

theoldwizard1
06-16-2013, 09:52 PM
Octopus. Greek appetizer. Boiled and the chilled. Marinated in vinegar and olive oil. Maybe a little feta.

The little suckers turn folks off, but it really is pretty good !

softailgarage
06-17-2013, 02:05 AM
Speaking of gross foods, I read about this on , I believe, on THIS FORUM. I haven't had it, dont want it and I find it particularly disturbing. Hears the link....http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Virgin_boy_egg

Garage5.9
06-17-2013, 02:32 AM
http://migrationology.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/06/img_4658.jpg

Cant say i love it but i tried it and it wasn't all that bad

fflintstone
06-17-2013, 05:36 AM

nuttella is great on female body parts!!!!!!!! you are not doing it right. or "try it you'll like it" or is it "try it she will like it"? :rocker::3gears::rocker::3gears:

James E
06-17-2013, 08:15 AM
Oysters, sardines and anchovies.

Tarheelgarage
06-17-2013, 11:20 AM
Roasted Bison ass.

If it is properly cleaned, it tastes delicious.
If not, tastes like shit....:rocker:

porschedude996TT
06-17-2013, 11:27 AM
Haggis, its good!

fflintstone
06-17-2013, 11:31 AM
Haggis, its good!

NO! haggis is GREAT!

theoldwizard1
06-17-2013, 11:39 AM
http://migrationology.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/06/img_4658.jpg

Cant say i love it but i tried it and it wasn't all that bad

What is it ?

ddawg16
06-17-2013, 11:43 AM
What is it ?

Deep Fried Gremlins?

fflintstone
06-17-2013, 11:44 AM
What is it ?

looks like bat to me.

akapero
06-17-2013, 12:27 PM
That picture above is of fried chicks; bones, feet and all.

I've eaten a few weird things. Most I'd eat again, some not. I don't think there is any food that I love that most would consider gross, though.

I'll eat anything from the ocean, pretty much: squid, octupus, eel, crab, you name it.

I've had moose, elk, rattlesnake, alligator, piranha, wild boar, wild cow.

I've had tongue, ears, heart, gizzards, liver, and even spleen. I've had stomach boiled, battered and fried, in soups, in salads and as cracklins. One really strange item I tried was deep-fried cow udder. It actually tasted a lot like bacon. One of the best was the hump from a zebu bull; it was slow roasted on a spit and had a lot of fat. It completely melted in your mouth.

The weirdest thing I've ever eaten was dog, though not by choice. I liked it just fine until I was told what I was eating.

I draw the line at bugs. I've never been willing to try them.