View Full Version : Japanese Ingenuity

James-W
08-12-2013, 10:12 PM
I thought this was pretty cool.

http://www.youtube.com/embed/qGGabrorRS8?rel=0

HOTFR8
08-12-2013, 10:17 PM
Interesting as plastic is made from oil or a leftover from when oil is made.

03protege
08-12-2013, 10:31 PM
Watching the video all he did was "distill" the plastic, I cannot believe it would be this easy and not be done on a wide scale.

aar0s
08-12-2013, 10:47 PM
Other than using a large amount of energy I don't really see a downside to it. I reality it probably uses less energy to recycle that back into oil than to produce the oil in the first place.

larry_g
08-12-2013, 11:02 PM
Does the oil extracted contain more energy than the next batch will consume? The reason we don't see this is because it takes a dollars worth of energy to get a dimes worth of oil.

(the dollar figure and the dime are numbers pulled from thin air but the principle holds.)

lg
no neat sig line

91bronc300
08-12-2013, 11:17 PM
Great idea, it would be interesting to see the ERoEI ratio of the process. I think plasma gasification is the real wave of the future of trash processing at this point though. But he is right, trash is a treasure.

neonnblack
08-13-2013, 12:40 AM
Does the oil extracted contain more energy than the next batch will consume? The reason we don't see this is because it takes a dollars worth of energy to get a dimes worth of oil.

(the dollar figure and the dime are numbers pulled from thin air but the principle holds.)

lg
no neat sig line

We need to build one, connect it to an oil heater, and see.

James-W
08-13-2013, 09:12 AM
I happened to see the video and I thought it was something that was worth looking at more closely. I am not sure how much energy it takes to make the process function, but perhaps a large processing plant could be powered by solar or by wind (if not fully powered by solar or wind, maybe partially powered) and that would keep the cost down. Again, I am not sure just how viable the idea would be on a large scale, but I would think it is something worth exploring.

Glenn M.
08-13-2013, 09:36 AM
For an "adder" to the ER to EI scheme, maybe the cost of landfilling could be factored in...

Ben7203
08-13-2013, 09:37 AM
Probably does cost a dollar(s) to save a dime but reducing the amount of plastic in the landfill/environment is a good thing. Hopefully on a larger scale it will get closer to a break-even point.

At work, I have to handle the scrape and trash contracts. It was surprising to see how much trash and scrape was produce by my plant of 450 people and the manufacturing process.