View Full Version : How Do You Control Spiders?

RickT
12-22-2005, 06:01 PM
I searched for insect info and found one related thread. I really do not have any problem with any insect other than spiders. I don't mind them so much, but I REALLY do not like battling webs and the whatnot that gets stuck in them.

Anyone have a good method for controlling garden variety arachnids like daddy long legs?

Rick

Fast Orange
12-22-2005, 06:04 PM
12 Ga. with 00 buckshot-no spider,no web,no wall-problem solved :wtf:

Uncle Buck
12-22-2005, 06:28 PM
Best way I know is sticky traps, cardboard with the most god awful sticky crap known to man, once they go in they do not leave. more hot tips are 1) find the host that is drawing them there in the first place and control that insect because it will be easier than contolling the spiders, once the host is gone the spiders should be too. 2) since it is in your garage bomb it, to kill spiders the insecticide must land on them, the spider simply walking through poison lying on the floof will not kill them since they do not clean the pads of their feet. 3) Leave daddy long legs alone, they will kill everthing else, and they are harmless. 4) If you have a detached garage and are a very brave and carefull soul, close everything up, start a car then lock the garage against anyone else entering and let the car run for a long time 1/2-1 hr. Quickly re-enter garage, turn off car and scoot right back out closing and relocking the door behind you. You may want to hang caution signs on doors. Much later in the day 8-10 hrs, re enter and you should not have any insects of any kind. This does work, it is an old farmers trick from say about 1950 and before.

GearHead_1
12-22-2005, 08:21 PM
Diazanone sprayed around the foundation (outside), every few weeks in the summer. Never see them in the winter.

trovato
12-22-2005, 08:36 PM
I searched for insect info and found one related thread. I really do not have any problem with any insect other than spiders. I don't mind them so much, but I REALLY do not like battling webs and the whatnot that gets stuck in them.

Anyone have a good method for controlling garden variety arachnids like daddy long legs?

Rick

There are insecticide additives for paint, but I've never used them. So far, I just live with the spiders.

Cebby
12-22-2005, 10:26 PM
Spiders are your friend. They take care of many other pests. Personally, I let them be.

Rickster
12-22-2005, 10:46 PM
Yup, spiders eat all the other bugs, keep 'em around.

ChucksCrib
12-22-2005, 11:22 PM
http://temp.corvetteforum.net/c4/chucks88/spidernot.jpg

kartracer55
12-22-2005, 11:38 PM
:flamethro

problem solved

J/k... doesnt really matter much to me, I dont have a real problem. What pisses me off is usually once a summer either my dad or myself will have to get rid of a mud wasp's nest from the rafters. Spiders are harmless really.

Jim

vintagegto
12-23-2005, 07:01 AM
:flamethro

problem solved

J/k... doesnt really matter much to me, I dont have a real problem. What pisses me off is usually once a summer either my dad or myself will have to get rid of a mud wasp's nest from the rafters. Spiders are harmless really.

Jim

Well actually the only harmless spider is the daddy long legs because there fangs are too small to bite us with. The realaity is...spiders are poisonous but it depends on which one bites you.

Oh and they do bite, I never gave spiders a second thought until my brother got bit a couple of years ago. He didn't even know he got bit. It started out like a flee bite and in a couple of days it was the size of a softball. By the end of the week his hole side was swollen. He finally went to the hospital.

He lives in Northern California but as far as he knows,there isn't a spider problem there.

maniac
12-23-2005, 08:42 AM
Aren't those brown recluse spiders deadly?

Seems I read about them somewhere.

mleichtle
12-23-2005, 08:48 AM
Correction! Spiders are venomous, not poisonous. Poison has to be ingested, and venom is absorbed through the skin. Daddy long legs are very venomous, and their venom can kill a human. But they have no way of penetrating skin. A little tidbit I learned at the zoo this summer. Also more peaple are killed each year by falling cocoanuts than by shark attacks, thats one too keep in the back of your mind. :eyecrazy: You'll never find me in the produce section again.

I just live with the spiders, unless they're crawling on me, then I'll scream like a sissy and kill it. Keeping them out would be a full time job.

mleichtle
12-23-2005, 08:54 AM

I was bit by one in the army, I ended up like vintagegto's brother, just really swollen everywhere. After 4 or 5 days I was fine. If it wasn't for the medic, who knows.

smooth72
12-23-2005, 09:42 AM

My uncle was bit by one on the back. The doctor had to cut out the section that he was bit in. The local news gives out reminders from time to time to watch for them in shoes ect.

CraigFL
12-23-2005, 11:12 AM
You mean like this???

http://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/showthread.php?t=68386&highlight=recluse

vintagegto
12-23-2005, 12:40 PM
Correction! Spiders are venomous, not poisonous. Poison has to be ingested, and venom is absorbed through the skin. Daddy long legs are very venomous, and their venom can kill a human. But they have no way of penetrating skin. A little tidbit I learned at the zoo this summer. Also more peaple are killed each year by falling cocoanuts than by shark attacks, thats one too keep in the back of your mind. :eyecrazy: You'll never find me in the produce section again.

I just live with the spiders, unless they're crawling on me, then I'll scream like a sissy and kill it. Keeping them out would be a full time job.

Thanks for the political correctness. :eyecrazy:

I do agree with trying to keep them out is a full time job. :scared:

I am more consious of them now since my brothers encounter.

I definately don't tolerate them in the house. :shocking:

trovato
12-23-2005, 01:38 PM
Daddy long legs are very venomous, and their venom can kill a human. But they have no way of penetrating skin. A little tidbit I learned at the zoo this summer.

I think the folks at the zoo need to do some research. Check out: http://spiders.ucr.edu/daddylonglegs.html

HAULNSS
12-23-2005, 01:54 PM
"Dad, what are those two spiders doing?"

"They're mating, Lucy" explained her father.

"Is that a Daddy Long-legs spider on top, Dad?"

"Yes, dear."

"Oh, so one's a Daddy Long-legs and the other one is a Mommy Long-legs?"

"Well, no dear, actually both of them are Daddy Long-legs," explained her father.

Lucy thought for a moment, then suddenly stomped on the two spiders with both feet. With a stern look, Lucy exclaimed, "Well, we're not having THAT sort of thing going on in this garden!"

:lol:

poci1957
12-23-2005, 01:57 PM
hholmburg, do you think your farmer method would work on mice and/or crickets? I had lots of crickets last year. Todd C

casaleenie
12-23-2005, 03:25 PM
I spray several times a year with Spectracide pre-mixed... Seems to do the job both inside and outside of the detached garage.. No smell, or very little, to deal with and no staining. xmas

mickeypat
12-23-2005, 04:25 PM
Q. Are Daddy Longlegs the most poisonous spiders in the world?
A. Daddy Longlegs have fangs which are too small to harm humans, the most they will produce is an itchy red lump. They are however quite poisonous to other spiders and have been know to kill Redbacks, which is perhaps where they got the reputation.

I leave the daddy long legs alone, they eat all the other spiders.

Q. How do I get rid of spiders without using pesticides?
A. 1. Eliminate or shield outdoor lights or bright indoor lights that attract flying insects.
2. Trim weeds around the building foundation and remove debris to discourage insects and spiders from living next to a structure.
3. Seal openings and install screens and door sweeps to prevent spiders from moving indoors.
4. Use a vacuum to remove webs, spiders and egg sacs.

We also have Bluebird houses, bird baths and feeders on the property which attract many types of birds. I used to spray, but since making our place a backyard bird sanctuary, spiders have virtually disappeared.

The worst place for spiders are marinas. We have waged war for many years at our local marinas to keep them from crapping on our boats in a covered slip. Anything chemical that will kill spiders will also kill the fish and wildlife in the water. Their crap looks like an ink spot. If your boat is well waxed with a slick finish, it will wash off. If not, it takes polishing compound to remove.

Sorry for the long response, guess I got on a roll here. Good luck, Merry Christmas to all.

RickT
12-23-2005, 11:06 PM
mickeypat, your long response is appreciated, as are all the other informative responses. We certainly learned more about spiders than I anticipated when starting this thread.

It appears the consensus regarding daddy long legs is to leave them alone. Since I am not concerned about the spiders themselves, just the webs and mess they make, it appears the only alternatives for a clean, web-free garage are to 1) eliminate the DLL's food source or 2) use to vacuum frequently. Since the food source is not readily evident, the vacuum may be my only weapon.

Rick

Tx Firefighter
12-24-2005, 06:44 AM
Some of you fellows who are indifferent to spiders need to come down here to Texas. We have black widows and brown recluses everywhere. Neither one is to be taken lightly, as a bite will likely cost you some hospital time.

Don't get me started on Copperheads, Rattlesnakes, and Water Moccasins.

Blue
12-24-2005, 07:03 PM
Check out:

http://www.doyourownpestcontrol.com/

These guys are great. Asian Beetles and Boxelder bugs have been pretty bad around here lately. These guys recommended some Suspend SC, and that solved the problem.

Good website with lots of info on different pests, and if you have any questions, they are really helpful over the phone.

Thumper
12-24-2005, 07:53 PM
Don't get me started on Copperheads, Rattlesnakes, and Water Moccasins.

Really......we got a bunch of those too... :scared:

stimpy
12-25-2005, 02:47 AM
I use an old corn broom with a rag attatched on the end of it every winter and leave the new webs in the summer for catching the fliers around here

vintagegto
12-25-2005, 09:24 AM
"Dad, what are those two spiders doing?"

"They're mating, Lucy" explained her father.

"Is that a Daddy Long-legs spider on top, Dad?"

"Yes, dear."

"Oh, so one's a Daddy Long-legs and the other one is a Mommy Long-legs?"

"Well, no dear, actually both of them are Daddy Long-legs," explained her father.

Lucy thought for a moment, then suddenly stomped on the two spiders with both feet. With a stern look, Lucy exclaimed, "Well, we're not having THAT sort of thing going on in this garden!"

:lol:

:lol_hitti :lol_hitti

dboat
12-25-2005, 04:12 PM
The one thing that I have done which has kept down the number of spider webs in my garage(s) is to paint the walls with a semi gloss or hi gloss paint. Apparently, the surface is too slick for them to be able to get their web to stick to it consistently.. I have done this in several garages, and it works every time..
Dana

mike348
12-26-2005, 02:00 PM
I use DEMON powder one bag for a gallon water. No spiders for 2 yrs. :thumbup:

RickT
12-29-2005, 11:22 PM
Mike,

I assume you apply DEMON by spraying. Where do you apply it...walls, entryways, inside perimeter? How often do you apply it?

Thanks for the info.

Rick

stimpy
12-29-2005, 11:44 PM
my problems right now aren't spiders it neighbors and that pesticide site doesn't have a cure for them .... :evil: :lol:

RonBou
12-30-2005, 10:23 AM
How about a VERY BIG Hav A Hart trap? Bring them to the closest forest and set them free! :evil:

stimpy
12-31-2005, 02:25 AM
I don't hav a heart and was thinking more on the lines of claymoors .. :lol_hitti :lol_hitti I have homer simpson cloned with al bundy living next door . :shocking:

mike348
01-01-2006, 03:04 PM
Mike,

I assume you apply DEMON by spraying. Where do you apply it...walls, entryways, inside perimeter? How often do you apply it?

Thanks for the info.

Rick
I get it at one of the DIY pest control sites. Use a garden sprayer and wet where the ceiling meets the walls. Do one application every September. The stuff has zero smell.

GarageHonky
01-21-2006, 02:28 AM
Well actually the only harmless spider is the daddy long legs because there fangs are too small to bite us with. The realaity is...spiders are poisonous but it depends on which one bites you.

Oh and they do bite, I never gave spiders a second thought until my brother got bit a couple of years ago. He didn't even know he got bit. It started out like a flee bite and in a couple of days it was the size of a softball. By the end of the week his hole side was swollen. He finally went to the hospital.

He lives in Northern California but as far as he knows,there isn't a spider problem there.

We live in Tennessee. My wife was bitten by the "brown recluse" spider some time back. She didn't even know she was bitten until a little bump came up on her leg that continued to enlarge and become so painful she could not stand to even touch her leg. let alone walk on it. She wound up in emergency! The Doc told her she had been bitten by the brown recluse and that the bite was about the next thing to a rattle snake bite!

Too make a long story short, I am now very careful about where I work, reach, or grab. As for the other bugs? I let the "exterminator" take care of all of them...spiders, bugs, and all!

Spiders may be our freinds, but I don't want them in my garage! :scared:

Dave

Charles (in GA)
01-21-2006, 05:17 AM
Everyone says spiders are good, but indeed, find a brown recluse hiding in a box or under the top of a workbench and you won't think they are good, especially if they bite you.

As noted, since spiders don't clean, they do not easily pick up and injest the chemicals we put out to kill everything else.

I have found that DemonWP available from a do it yourself pest control store, in the dosages specified for spiders, works well at getting rid of them. DemonWP is a "wettable powder" in pillow pack form that you put in a sprayer of water and spray around the shop or house. Leaves a grey power residue. Very efficitve on all kinds of insects. I did my shop in the areas where spiders were getting heavy and it wiped them out for about a year, along with every other kind of insect.

Charles

Yamahauler
01-21-2006, 06:18 PM
Interesting timing of this thread. I did some cleaning around the garage over the holidays and found TWO live black widows. The local farm store said to spray with this stuff called Viper. Sprayed it around the perimter walls and I've since found FIVE more black widows dead. :scared:

The scary part is that I found most of these spiders where I hang my coveralls I wear when I'm working in the garage.

REFLEXX
01-21-2006, 11:03 PM
has anyone mentioned the Green Goblin?

RickT
01-21-2006, 11:58 PM
Ok, I'll bite. What is the Green Goblin?

Rick

Stuart in MN
01-22-2006, 12:34 PM
The Green Goblin is the arch enemy of Spider Man, of course. :)