View Full Version : Diamond Tool and horseshoe company

jay50
09-20-2008, 04:32 PM
Was at moms today doing at few chores and looked through dad's small Cman tool chest. Noticed the adjustable wrench was made by Diamond tool and horseshoe company.

Is this an oldie or what?
Sorry, no pics.

wilbilt
09-20-2008, 04:35 PM
Diamond was a good old brand. I have several Diamond pliers.

Nowadays, they come from the other side of the world.

lbgradwell
09-20-2008, 04:35 PM
Not that old or it would have said Diamond Calk Horseshoe Company!

The name changed to Diamond Tool & Horseshoe Co. in 1963...

old salvage
09-20-2008, 04:40 PM
They made adjustables for a long time. From the 20's until the 1980's I think.
Alloy Artifacts has a bunch up with different logos.

lbgradwell
09-20-2008, 04:47 PM
They actually continued as a Cooper brand until at least 1997 (I have a wrench from that year) before being discontinued in favour of that other Cooper brand - Crescent! Under Cooper the designs were virtually identical anyway...

The brand still exists in Cooper's stable, but now produces only farrier items.

jcs_in_ky
09-20-2008, 04:48 PM
Here's some info I saw on them the other day "Diamond Tool Co. began in 1908 making horseshoes. Later they produced a line of hand tools & were particularly known for the quality of their adjustable wrenches & pliers."

Merkava_4
09-20-2008, 04:51 PM
Diamond tools is good quality stuff; if you guys run across them, nab'm up quick!

old salvage
09-20-2008, 04:56 PM

They sort of came full circle then.

jay50
09-20-2008, 04:58 PM
Thanks for the info guys.
Dad died last year and his tools are still in the shed at the shop.
I need to get them before lazy -a$$ bil steals them for his crack fix.

lbgradwell
09-20-2008, 05:01 PM
They sort of came full circle then.

Yep! (Although I don't know if you can still buy a calk..!)

I need to get them before lazy -a$$ bil steals them for his crack fix.

:mad::mad::mad:You sure do!!! Go back tomorrow!

wilbilt
09-20-2008, 05:06 PM
They actually continued as a Cooper brand until at least 1997 (I have a wrench from that year) before being discontinued in favour of that other Cooper brand - Crescent! Under Cooper the designs were virtually identical anyway...

I bought a set of Diamond pliers at TSC a couple of months ago. They were on clearance for less than $10, and of course, they are made in China.

eschoendorff
09-20-2008, 05:08 PM
You can still get Diamond stuff at Harry Espstein's:

http://www.harryepstein.com/diamond.html

eschoendorff
09-20-2008, 05:08 PM
Dude.... that was WEIRD!

wilbilt
09-20-2008, 05:12 PM
Dude.... that was WEIRD!

???

Flashbacks?

eschoendorff
09-20-2008, 05:15 PM
Must've been a bad shrimp cocktail from the other night... :lol:

lbgradwell
09-20-2008, 05:36 PM
I bought a set of Diamond pliers at TSC a couple of months ago. They were on clearance for less than $10, and of course, they are made in China.

I was thinking of USA-made adjustable wrenches specifically... For all I know, they may have outsourced the production of the adjustables to China briefly too, but, if so, I've never seen an example...

You can still get Diamond stuff at Harry Espstein's:

http://www.harryepstein.com/diamond.html

Yeah, the 1997 adjustable I mentioned was one of those A210W on the Epstein site. I got it from eBay, but the Seller likely bought from Harry! It's Made-in-USA and decent enough quality, but I only bought it because I had no Diamond tools at the time. Most of the "magic" of the name was Cooperized out of it by then, and I have since acquired both Diamond Calk Horseshoe Co. and Diamond Tool & Horseshoe Co. items that I much prefer for their historical merit!

Northstar9126
09-20-2008, 05:51 PM
The Diamond Tool plant was located in Duluth, MN. I used to drive past it all of the time. When Diamond was sold to Cooper they closed the plant and tore it down. Now a strip mall sits on the spot. Very sad.

jay50
09-20-2008, 05:54 PM
Yep! (Although I don't know if you can still buy a calk..!)

:mad::mad::mad:You sure do!!! Go back tomorrow!

Will do that very soon. The only reason the tools have lasted so long is that mom is still able (and not afraid) to grab the 12ga double barrel and investigate any possible tresspassers.....:shoot5:

Also, the german shepherd running the property line is a little on the crazy :evil: side; :lol_hitti

lbgradwell
09-20-2008, 08:26 PM
When Diamond was sold to Cooper they closed the plant and tore it down. Now a strip mall sits on the spot. Very sad.

Yeah.:(:(:(

I wonder if something similar will happen in a small town in Nebraska soon..?

Elroy
09-21-2008, 12:43 PM
The Diamond Tool plant was located in Duluth, MN. I used to drive past it all of the time. When Diamond was sold to Cooper they closed the plant and tore it down. Now a strip mall sits on the spot. Very sad.

http://i261.photobucket.com/albums/ii55/EllisofRoy/Diamond%20Calk%20Horseshoe/Calk2.jpg

http://i261.photobucket.com/albums/ii55/EllisofRoy/Diamond%20Calk%20Horseshoe/Calk4.jpg

Which facility would you rather have? A productive factory employing skilled labor producing this or a "strip mall" selling crap and not producing a dam thing ? :headscrat

wilbilt
09-21-2008, 04:35 PM
I would of course prefer a productive factory at the location. Below is an example of Diamalloy pliers produced at that site, with the current Chinese version below it.

I certainly hope that the strip mall does not contain a TSC store, as that would be truly insulting to the ground it stands upon, as well as to those who used to work there.

http://i84.photobucket.com/albums/k37/wilbilt/diamond.jpg

eschoendorff
09-21-2008, 05:27 PM
The Chinese ones are more shiny. :D

wilbilt
09-21-2008, 05:42 PM
The Chinese ones are more shiny. :D

Actually, they are not even plated. Just brushed and clear coated.

The old ones are bright chrome, but dirty.

Northstar9126
09-21-2008, 06:07 PM
Of course it was a better situation when the Diamond factory was up and operating. The factory actually provided jobs with a living wage. The "very sad" comment was not sarcasim, it really is very sad what happened there.

Vinko
09-21-2008, 08:57 PM
I was looking on H. Epstein's site for some other stuff, and noticed that Diamond adj. wrenches are on clearance there.

My dad used to find Diamond stuff at swap meets. We have some in a box somewhere.

MAD
09-21-2008, 09:35 PM
I have two old Diamond 10" adjustable wrenches. They are perhaps the best Adjustable wrenches I have tried. There is almost no slop in the jaws.

mulepackin
09-21-2008, 10:51 PM
Diamond tools used to be "the" tools to get for the farrier trade. Now they are junk. There are a few manf. here in the USA that still make high end farrier tools, GE Forge, DS, and Lopez are a couple.

davestlouis
10-03-2008, 01:18 PM
I stumbled on some USA-made Diamond groove joint pliers today at my local farm store, model HL112PH 12 inch, bought 2 of the 3 they had, the 3rd pair had in issue, the jaws didn't line up properly, even in the packaging. The packaging was dusty, and they were surrounded by Channelock items.

davestlouis
10-03-2008, 01:23 PM
http://e28-535i.com/upload/tools1.jpg.jpg

Frank Elson
10-03-2008, 02:18 PM
These shopping mall things are spreading in the UK now.
I went in one with my wife about a month ago. Terrible place, full of what we call "posh frock shops". I don't think I'll bother going in another.
The beloved wasn't impressed either.

64merc
10-03-2008, 03:29 PM
I stumbled on some USA-made Diamond groove joint pliers today at my local farm store, model HL112PH 12 inch, bought 2 of the 3 they had, the 3rd pair had in issue, the jaws didn't line up properly, even in the packaging. The packaging was dusty, and they were surrounded by Channelock items.

Hey Dave, I was just wondering the other day what happened to you. Glad to see you pop in again.

Nice find on those pliers BTW

davestlouis
10-03-2008, 05:30 PM
Thanks much, good to be back...had an "interesting" time in my life, but things are settling down to a low roar again, so I have a little time to play on the forum.

Tommyc
01-01-2009, 09:04 PM
Maybe you guys would know. I just acquired a 18" Diamond Calk Horse Shoe CO. adjustable wrench. Yes, on this big lunker there is a space between horse and shoe. There is a model number just under the adjustment wheel A700. I can't find any information on this big wrench. There isn't a ridge all the way around the whole at the end of the wrench so I think it was made between 1920 and 1931.

Do you guys have any more information on this wrench?

Tom

Elroy
01-01-2009, 09:25 PM
Maybe you guys would know. I just acquired a 18" Diamond Calk Horse Shoe CO. adjustable wrench................

Do you guys have any more information on this wrench?

Tom

Tom: to be fully evaluated you need to immediately send this fine old piece of iron directly to Elroy for his complete and professional evaluation. In return Elroy will promptly send you a check commensurate with its value. :pimpflash

Elroy would also suggest that you review this site for additional information

http://alloy-artifacts.com/diamond-calk-horseshoe.html

Tommyc
01-01-2009, 09:26 PM
http://tcx.dtchaffee.net/10gtom/img00013.jpg
http://tcx.dtchaffee.net/10gtom/img00008.jpg

Thought I would post a couple of images of that 18 inch wrench

Tom

Tommyc
01-01-2009, 09:28 PM
Just saw your reply Elroy. So I have a good one huh LOL

Elroy
01-01-2009, 09:42 PM
Just saw your reply Elroy. So I have a good one huh LOL

No actually it's a piece of crap and you need to get out of your possession immediately. Who the hell would want a old wrench?

I mean really, come on. And especially one that says "Diamond Horse Shoe".

I'd rather have one that said China. NOT

Uncle Buck
01-01-2009, 09:46 PM
Diamond has been out of business for a few years. The only company I am aware of that has any remaining inventory of the Diamond brand is Harry Epstein company in KC Missouri. Diamond was a good brand of tools. I sold many while working in hardware stores years ago.

Tommyc
01-01-2009, 10:16 PM
Tom: to be fully evaluated you need to immediately send this fine old piece of iron directly to Elroy for his complete and professional evaluation. In return Elroy will promptly send you a check commensurate with its value. :pimpflash

Elroy would also suggest that you review this site for additional information

http://alloy-artifacts.com/diamond-calk-horseshoe.html

That is where I found the year it was made. I see 4" 6" 10" out there but there aren't any pictures of an 18 inch. I bought it on auction because I work on old ford tractors and I need big wrenches. Maybe I'll just clean this up a little bit and put some gun oil on it and look for one to use.

I know my pictures are bad I'm getting a new camera :D

Tom

66jalopy
06-14-2010, 06:59 PM
12 inch adjustable diamalloy from diamond calk @ hoseshoe made in duluth mn usa inherited from my uncle 20 yrs ago just wondered if worth anything looks like good stuff

Charles (in GA)
06-14-2010, 07:19 PM
I have a black oxide finish 18 inch adjustable made by Diamond Horseshoe sometime in the mid '90's. I bought it new, it resides in my tool box at work. I was looking for an 18 inch adjustable to fill out the set at home, and found a Williams chrome finish in excellent condition with no dents or dings to the jaws or handle, at a flea market. Paid $20 for it. Now I have (in various brands) adjustables from 4 inch to 18 inch (4, 6, 8, 10, 12, 15, 18) The 15 is awaiting a new black oxide finish.

Charles

kas_rustndust
05-19-2011, 12:13 PM
Of course it was a better situation when the Diamond factory was up and operating. The factory actually provided jobs with a living wage. The "very sad" comment was not sarcasim, it really is very sad what happened there.

To me, The chinese s**t is the last nail in the coffin at the Death of a Legend. Put me in a really dark mood. Better work my way out celebrating the old Diamonds I collect.

jfcasey
05-19-2011, 01:33 PM
I don't know if anyone threw this in there or not but they still do manufacture a line of ferrier tools, we sell them at the TSC I work at. I have no idea on the COO but they do fetch a few pennies compared to the cheaper looking ones we have next to them.

jsackin
05-19-2011, 03:32 PM
http://i1236.photobucket.com/albums/ff443/jsackin/diamondadjustables.jpg

Here's a pic of our private Diamond wrench collection.
Sorry, these aren't for sale. They were given to us by a customer of ours.

Diamond was bought by Crescent because they were the first ones to develop the wide opening adjustable wrench and Crescent wanted their patent.

Jori
http://store.harryepstein.com

Alchymist
05-19-2011, 04:54 PM
Top one is a Diamond:

vssjim
05-19-2011, 07:28 PM
I remember looking in a Diamond Tool catalog in the late seventies and they sold Chrome plated horse shoe pitching sets in with the hand tools at that time.

airbuff101
05-19-2011, 07:44 PM
Good stuff.
For years they made the HL120P 20" plier when Channellock stopped at 16".
That big green handled plier was a staple for disc brake work for decades. Still have one hanging on the wall.

airbuff

egdede
05-19-2011, 10:54 PM
I do believe they made some pliers for Proto, and have thought the same about certain Snap-on pliers.

5lima30
05-20-2011, 01:00 PM
I've got a Diamond Horseshoe adjustable monkey wrench thats about 25 years old. Its very good quality IMHO. TSC sells farrier tools that are made by Diamond. BTW I've been buying Diamond horse shoes at TSC for $2.99 lb. Now they sell them 4 to a pack for $7.99- $8.99! I guess steel prices are going out of sight!

kas_rustndust
05-21-2011, 08:16 PM
I do believe they made some pliers for Proto, and have thought the same about certain Snap-on pliers.

Take a look at the Blue Point Groove Joint Pliers and check the numbering. The Artifacts pages have a little narrative on the S-O . Diamond relationship going back to the old Moto-Spec line.

tradesmanschoice
05-22-2011, 05:19 PM
We have some genuine Diamond made in the USA electronic cutters available.

http://www.tradesmanschoice.com/catalog/Diamond/MS54-3.html

They are brand new, just most are missing their original springs. I've tested them and the cutting edges are far more durable than the latest Lindstrom's.

Mark.

wayne55
05-23-2011, 01:40 PM
Back before the internet, I inherited a Diamond Calk and Horseshoe Co. 8" adjustable wrench that was missing the adjusting knurl. I wrote the company based on the name and city on the wrench handle to see if it was possible to buy a replacement. They just sent me free of charge the knurl, spring, and small bolt for the wrench. Great company.

kas_rustndust
05-31-2011, 10:39 AM
About 1/3 Adjustable wrench, these Handymans and Handyboys kinda sorta fit the adjustable wrench posts. (Oddly, the Handymans are 6 inches and the Handyboys are 8) I understand the initial editions were a military tool for Ski Troopers and are marked U.S. Diamond clearly saw the commercial potential and spun them off for the consumer tool market. Then there are the Diamonds by another name. First are the Give-Ways, tools made for commercial company gifts to good customers or premiums to valued employees. Middle left is an Arco Coffee (Duluth) marked piece. The "other names" category include tools for Hardware Brands such as Wards Master or Gambles Artisan. Don't have any of these in this style.

William Payne
07-09-2011, 07:48 PM
This is pretty cool, When I recently started my new job my dad gave me a couple of old Adjustables with Diamond Tool and horseshoe company on them, I gave them a clean up and put them in my toolbox at work they even have the green plastic coating on the handle.

OldToolMan
10-31-2011, 05:38 PM
i JUST AQUIRED a NEW pair of Dimaloy airplane snips streight cut No stamped parts.except the locking hook.everything is cast & chromed.I am posting bthem on my web tomorrow along with the rest of the super nice Vintage tools I picked up at a Estate Sale..

pfctblu
09-23-2012, 01:59 AM
I'll go ahead and call myself guilty of reviving an ancient thread here but I stumbled across this old thread on while googling the Diamond too co.

I deep-cleaned out the garage and found a small box worth of tools, mostly stuff that settled to the bottom of my various trades boxes (plumbing, electrical, paint etc.. One of the ones that I pretty excited to see is a slip joint plier (http://store.harryepstein.com/cp/Diamond/K310.html) from Diamond stamped Duluth MN USA. After reading through this thread this suddenly seems like a little gem now that I know the background of this company...thanks to Garage Journal. The jaws line up perfectly and this little bugger doesn't look even slightly used.

Other finds were lots of Stanley USA screwdrivers, a spankin' new condition 8in crestaloy crescent USA adj wrench, a 10 inch Dewitt vice grip that has seen harsh use but works perfectly anyhow, several good quality craftsman USA scrapers (with NOS blades- yay me!)

It was an epic garage cleaning so its rewarding to find all these old goodies...kind of an early Christmas for me full of good ole stuff.

camarotoolman
09-23-2012, 05:01 AM
The double headed and the 4" ajustables are worth some $$ Also the big ones 18 and 24" sell for some good cash. 6,8 10 12s not much.