View Full Version : Stupid Liquor Question....

redwrench60
01-11-2014, 04:01 PM
A relative gave me several new unopened bottles of Scotch Whiskey, Irish Whiskey and Tennessee Whiskey. Nothing too fancy just George, Jack, Johnnie, Jameson, Bushmills and Pinch. Problem is they all range in age from 20-30, maybe more years old and were not stored under favorable conditions (ie garage) Some appear to have sediment or cloudiness at the bottom of the bottles like they did some settling? Or is the Whiskey beginning to turn?

I know that it would be difficult for bacteria to grow in alcohol but at what point if ever does Whiskey go bad or even become dangerous to drink?

sammerdog
01-11-2014, 04:10 PM
They're all junk. You better mail them to me for proper disposal.

RPH
01-11-2014, 04:14 PM
Nope Sammerdog is wrong. You must send them to me. Only I can perform the proper analysis on them to determine the proper disposal method. If proven safe I will send all remaining samples to Sammerdog for disposal with instructions. I promise!

Bull
01-11-2014, 04:21 PM
I researched this exact same question just last night after finding a bottle of brandy (among other things) in my parents' liquor mausoleum, I mean cabinet.

All arrows point to old booze being fine, even if stored after being opened and in less tha ideal conditions.

Worst effects I read of were reduced potency/altered flavor.

The brandy tastes fine :D

Thorold
01-11-2014, 04:22 PM
I have lots of ice here - come on over and we'll try.

Do they appear full ? I've seen unopened old bottles evaporate a bit.

koditten
01-11-2014, 04:30 PM
They are fine. No more aging really goes on when in the bottle. It mostly occurs in the wooden barrels.

GTO
01-11-2014, 04:34 PM
Grab a few friends and have a tasting party,that's the only way you will find out which ones are good.

Lippyp
01-11-2014, 04:35 PM
Does depend if they have a cork or a screwtop, corks can dry out allowing the alcohol to evaporate and even bacteria to get in. This is why wine is stored on its side to keep the corks wet.

Tarheelgarage
01-11-2014, 04:40 PM
That old stuff is called Gut Rot for a reason.

I'll take care of it for ya...:lol:

ducksface
01-11-2014, 04:56 PM
some of my scotch and liqueur is pushing past 100 years old.
I had one bottle of JW Blue turn on me, and its drinkable, just tastes like red now.

The sediment is likely the coloring falling out. Caramel coloring in most brown liquors.
look up "decant" then do it.

heat will make a difference in taste.

neophyte
01-11-2014, 05:00 PM
A relative gave me several new unopened bottles of Scotch Whiskey, Irish Whiskey and Tennessee Whiskey. Nothing too fancy just George, Jack, Johnnie, Jameson, Bushmills and Pinch. Problem is they all range in age from 20-30, maybe more years old and were not stored under favorable conditions (ie garage) Some appear to have sediment or cloudiness at the bottom of the bottles like they did some settling? Or is the Whiskey beginning to turn?

I know that it would be difficult for bacteria to grow in alcohol but at what point if ever does Whiskey go bad or even become dangerous to drink?

I'm not certain, but there's probably a collectors market for unopened 20-30 year old liquor, even if it's just from regular brands. It might even be worth more because of the age. You can sell it on Ebay as a collectible bottle that just happens to be unopened and still has alcohol in it. I've seen some unopened liquor bottles listed for 2 or 3 times what they normally sell for in stores.

DekeT
01-11-2014, 05:29 PM
That stuff can become toxic in quantity. I have a license for its disposal, email me. :beer2:

redwrench60
01-11-2014, 06:23 PM
If I could have it my way me and a bunch of you guys would gather in the garage, bust open all this stuff, tease the ones who put ice in it then bullshit and tell lies for a while.......

Thumper68
01-11-2014, 06:45 PM
Thanks guys now I need to go pour a nice glass of 12yo with 1 rock, yeah I know ice will ruin it but I like it cold.

KRB52
01-11-2014, 06:52 PM
Thanks guys now I need to go pour a nice glass of 12yo with 1 rock, yeah I know ice will ruin it but I like it cold.

With the weather you've been having lately, why not for get the ice and just stick the bottle outside for a few minutes. Should get plenty cold.:spit:

upndown
01-11-2014, 06:57 PM
Worst case scenario, the Shits will pass..:spit:

Deadhead
01-11-2014, 07:23 PM
Jameson and Bushills is all I drink when I drink whiskey. I have been known to pour a couple of cap fulls of Bushmills in my chewing tobacco to freshen it up.

Thumper68
01-11-2014, 07:28 PM
With the weather you've been having lately, why not for get the ice and just stick the bottle outside for a few minutes. Should get plenty cold.:spit:

35F here today

Boost Creep
01-12-2014, 01:03 AM

you need this imo
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B007ACTN54/ref=oh_details_o03_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

jeepinerdeep
01-12-2014, 01:25 AM
some of my scotch and liqueur is pushing past 100 years old.
I had one bottle of JW Blue turn on me, and its drinkable, just tastes like red now.
The sediment is likely the coloring falling out. Caramel coloring in most brown liquors.
look up "decant" then do it.

heat will make a difference in taste.

Now that there is a crime folks.

rrudd2
01-12-2014, 07:04 AM
I am continually amazed by the helpfulness and giving spirit of the members of Garage Journal! I commend all of you that have offered to help the OP with disposal. Truly, the finest collection of gentlemen on the web!

Outlander
01-12-2014, 07:55 AM
I am continually amazed by the helpfulness and giving spirit of the members of Garage Journal! I commend all of you that have offered to help the OP with disposal. Truly, the finest collection of gentlemen on the web!

However, in even truer GJ fashion the OP will probably just ignore these offers and dispose of it himself. I know I would :thumbup:

bams50
01-12-2014, 08:01 AM
Does depend if they have a cork or a screwtop, corks can dry out allowing the alcohol to evaporate and even bacteria to get in. This is why wine is stored on its side to keep the corks wet.

Very good, I did not know this. Do you soak corks? You sound like an experienced cork soaker ;)

sk farmer
01-12-2014, 08:04 AM
i have some friends who aquired a few bottles of crown royal from the 60's. i am patiently waiting for the night we crack them open

Gareth68
01-12-2014, 08:35 AM
As stated above,

Though they will be better for nostalgia sake...and will give you insight as to how true the master distillers have stayed to the brand through the years, all aging on liquor that affects flavor occurs in the barrel.

Once bottled it will taste the same in a day, a week, or a century.

:beer: