View Full Version : Rockwell/Delta 15-017 Drill Press Chuck

Crawl Awah
03-05-2014, 09:50 PM
I need to replace the chuck on my drill press. The chuck is 0-.500 capacity "Supreme Chuck R15T33". Can someone recommend an inexpensive replacement? Most importantly, what type of taper am I looking for?

Alternatively, the chuck runs true, but is very "tight". It takes about 5 minutes to open it all the way up from the close position. Is there are rebuild kit or some maintenance that will make the chuck useable?

Thanks.

Packard V8
03-06-2014, 12:31 AM
Most Delta DPs are JT33.

I can understand "tight" because a chuck can develop internal surface rust. Remove the spindle, spray the chuck inside and out with WD40, cycle it a few times, spray it again. That usually frees up the chuck.

The "5 minutes to open" may just be the younger generation raised on battery powered drills with hand chucks. Yes, they spin open quickly. They also mostly don't grip the drill shank for squat. The Jacobs Supreme which comes with the Delta DP is a high quality chuck which will cost serious bucks to replace. The slower open-close results in a tighter grip on the drill shank.

Your experiences, opinions and results may vary.

jack vines

buening
03-06-2014, 09:27 AM
I replaced mine on my Rockwell 15-017 with a Jacobs 633C chuck, which I found new from someone on www.owwm.org classifieds for around $50 if I recall correctly. A Jacobs 34-33C will also fit your drill press, or anything with a JT33 taper chuck. A 34-33C can be found from Sears/Kmart for $75 new. I used the 633C because it has the threaded collar, much like the original chucks had.

I agree with using lubricant on the jaws to make it easier to work. If the chuck is in good shape and runs true, it may just need lubed. You can also take them apart to inspect them too, do a good and you will find good write-ups with pics.

DavidB
03-06-2014, 05:41 PM
I've had good luck with Rohm chucks and I have one on my older Clausing. They're better quality and cheaper than Jacobs current offerings.