View Full Version : Anyone using used oil/waste oil furnace or area heater?

Charles (in GA)
01-17-2006, 04:06 PM
I've been doing alot of research on used oil/waste oil heaters. I'm very interested in them as it would solve disposal hassles and provided free fuel at the same time.

I've done some searches on this forum and looked at the discussions in this forum and cannot find anything about this, thats why I'm asking for input.

I don't have a "garage" per se, my shop is a 60x60 metal building, 16 ft eaves, 12/2 roof, 66,600 cubic feet inside to heat.......... an aircraft hangar in my back yard.

Nonetheless, surely several of the members of this forum have looked into, or are using used oil/waste oil fired furnaces (ducted or not) or area heaters (like the Modine Hot Dwag, just using a different fuel).

I've already written a three page "white paper" about this, summarizing much of what I've found, but I'll hold off on posting it here till I see if any of you'all have any first hand experience with any of these critters.

Brands I have "discovered" so far include (and I was told by one company that there are only seven total manufacturers of these things, he knew his competition well).

Reznor, which is an old manufacturer of heaters, now owned by Thomas & Betts and who decline to post the location of their headquarters or manufacturing facilities.
http://www.reznorwasteoil.com/

Firelake, Mt. Crawford, VA
http://www.usedoilheaters.com/index.html

EnergyLogic, Nashville, TN
http://www.energylogic.com/heaters.html

Heatwave which is also found under the name Siebring Manufacturing, George, IA
http://www.heatwave-waste-oil-heaters.com/models.htm

Clean Burn, Leola, PA
http://www.cleanburn.com/

Lanair, Janesville, WI
http://www.lanair.com/home.cfm

Omni by Econo Heat, Spokane, WA
http://www.econoheat.com/

Norki Energy Systems, Poughkeepsie, NY
http://www.norki.com/tech.html

Comments?

Thanks, Charles

OldCarGuy
01-17-2006, 04:50 PM
I have two friends that own truck repair shops that heat their buildings with used engine oil for the past 10 years. The initial cost is about twice that of n a natural gas fired furnace; but they have similar maintenance levels. The drain oil from their normal business and what others drop off is enough that neither uses any natural gas. A savings big enough to pay for the unit each year.

The only draw backs are having a storage tank big enough and handling the oil making sure no gasoline, antifreeze, or water gets mixed in.

stppinz
01-31-2006, 03:53 PM
I've looked into this option as well but for a small ( 30'x32') not really economical. Cheepest one I found was in the neighborhood of 3K. Heat is important but not where I would like to spend that much. I wounder why there isn't a small shop size?

dlynch
01-31-2006, 07:31 PM
quick lube shop in Vancouver had a used oil boiler. Don't remember the name; sorry.
Dave

krooser
01-31-2006, 11:40 PM
The last dealership I worked at had a Black Gold heater...biggest PITA in the world. We finally gave up on it and started using the NG furnace again.

This was an older unit...early 80's vintage. I'm sure they are better today.

The truck shop that does my heavy work also has one today...his seems to work good as long as you keep the filters clean

Gregdoo
02-01-2006, 03:06 PM
My father's shop was large enough to have 16-20 industrial tractors in it in upstate New York. He installed a Lanair waste oil furnace in the late 80s (I think) and it was still going strong when he sold the business in the late 90s. The furnace did a nice job. It didn't need too much maintenance and as pointed out, if you have an ample supply of clean waste oil, it can really lower your heating costs. The key is CLEAN fuel. Antifreeze probably caused the majority of the problems. Even with a good filtration system, 2 gallons of antifreeze mixed in with 100 gallons of oil will max out the filters and cause problems. I seem to remember having to remove ash every so often. I'm sure that this furnace did not have to meet any sort of environmental cleanliness standards at the time, so it is unlikely that the same unit is available today. Bottom line, when it was running, it would heat the entire shop. Oh, I also remember that we would not burn it when nobody was in the shop, we would rely on the natural gas system. I don't recall exactly why, but it was probably because we didn't want to have the mechanics show up to a cold shop, if it didn't fire due to poor fuel quality.

383IROC
02-04-2006, 10:29 PM
I converted an old wood stove to burn waste oils for my 30'x50' garage. I looked into the forced air units but was told they would be a bit overkill. The system I rigged up relies on the waste oil being superheated and igniting rather than being atomized. It burns very hot and smokeless/odurless.

Heres a pic of the first test run. I can take more pics and explain it a bit more indepth if anybody is interested.

bmwpower
02-04-2006, 10:44 PM
Yea, let's hear what you did. This sounds interesting. Is it safe?

Charles (in GA)
02-04-2006, 11:37 PM
Mother Earth has a web page for a similar heater. I found this while researching for furnaces. Not what I was looking for, but interesting none the less.

http://journeytoforever.org/biofuel_library/ethanol_motherearth/me4.html

Charles

383IROC
02-04-2006, 11:56 PM
How it is described on this web page is almost identical to how I did it http://journeytoforever.org/biofuel_library/ethanol_motherearth/me8.html. I think its just as safe as burning wood when done right.

stimpy
02-05-2006, 08:37 PM
we had one at the one shop I worked at but the ILEPA nazis made us shut it down ( something about being a hazardous waste burner..)it didn't smoke or smell ( other than like a fuel oil burner ) our oil tank was located above the shop (which was cut into a hill ) when I was getting alot water in the oil I just moved the tap up 4 inches from the bottom of the tank ( 2-250 gallon #2 fuel bunker) which was on a pitch 1"to 10' and put a drain tap in the original pickup hole to drain out the any water or impuritys then at the pump you put 2 semi truck 1 gallon filters to get out the hard stuff ( carbon) never had a problem till the stink police showed up .we used a 1 1/2 line to the pump inlet th efurnace was homemade from an old house oil buner/blower and a refractory lined boiler tank with cross pipes that a fan blew thru ,we heated a building that was a barge flipped upside down 50x150x20 kept it around 65 degrees when it was 20 outside .

Blue
02-06-2006, 01:24 AM
>>>we heated a building that was a barge flipped upside down 50x150x20

Sweet!! Pictures? Sounds like a pretty unique building.

In Illinois? Where?

Charles (in GA)
02-07-2006, 05:14 AM
we had one at the one shop I worked at but the ILEPA nazis made us shut it down ( something about being a hazardous waste burner. .

I suppose they were unable to read and understand the US EPA definition of Hazardous Waste oil vs Used Oil, and when and what you are allowed to burn for fuel .

The same regs have been around for a long time and are quite clear, which is surprising for Governmental regulations.

Any of the heater company web sites will quote pertinant portions of the regs and a google search turns up tons of info on it.

Charles

imported_banzaitoyota
02-07-2006, 09:30 PM
I converted an old wood stove to burn waste oils for my 30'x50' garage. I looked into the forced air units but was told they would be a bit overkill. The system I rigged up relies on the waste oil being superheated and igniting rather than being atomized. It burns very hot and smokeless/odurless.

Heres a pic of the first test run. I can take more pics and explain it a bit more indepth if anybody is interested.

looks good, details please?

mleichtle
02-25-2006, 09:14 PM
A while back I heard of a guy that said he soaked sawdust in oil and rolled it into logs with newspaper. Any thoughts? I'm afraid I would smoke out the whole neighborhood.

SgtRauksauff
12-01-2010, 04:02 PM
In our woodburning barrel stove, we burn oil a couple different ways. We've got a 1/4" U-channel that we welded 1/4" ends onto, forming a pan, and that sits on the bottom of the barrel, and when we decide to burn some used oil, we just dump a quart or so into it. it keeps the oil from being directly on the barrel and overheating and burning through.

We also take newspapers and roll them up, and stick them into a 5-gallon bucket with a few quarts in the bottom. Capillary action sucks the oil into the papers, just chuck one on the fire when it needs it. Usually the only visible smoke coming out of the chimney is upon first startup, and sometimes at the end of the day when we decide we're going to be out of the garage and won't need to add more wood.

I think the smoke/smell has much to do with how well the fire's being tended.

--sarge

redsky49
12-01-2010, 04:05 PM
Wow! Nearly five years and this thread comes back to life :eyecrazy:

WDfrmTN
12-02-2010, 05:11 PM
We used the Reznor injection heaters in two different diesel shops in which I worked.
My family has used drip and mist-drop heaters in the past in our farm shop. These can be radiant, convection, or forced air, and work rather well.

hillbilly1
12-04-2010, 10:44 PM
A while back I heard of a guy that said he soaked sawdust in oil and rolled it into logs with newspaper. Any thoughts? I'm afraid I would smoke out the whole neighborhood.

I thought of doing that, went and loaded up a trailer load of sawdust that sit under one of my sheds for about two years, never got around to doing, thought of making a ram that would compact it in a tube to make the logs. Another project that never got done!

WDfrmTN
12-08-2010, 10:17 AM
I thought of doing that, went and loaded up a trailer load of sawdust that sit under one of my sheds for about two years, never got around to doing, thought of making a ram that would compact it in a tube to make the logs. Another project that never got done!
Saw one guy online packing them into the old waxboard milk cartons.

gspringer@energylogic.com
07-10-2012, 09:44 AM
You've done some good reasearch and gotten some great advice from users with first-hand experience in waste oil heating. You've raised some good questions about storage, maintenance and savings. I work for EnergyLogic (www.energylogic.com)(formerly Black Gold) and we'd be glad to answer any questions you have about how much oil you need to get through a season, payback time and long term savings.

As another forurm contributor mentioned, waste oil heaters have come a long way over the years and I think your garage can experience some real savings and an improvement in comfort by heating with waste oil. We've been doing this for more than 25 years and know about each of the brands you are researching.

Please give us a call, (800) 335-3092.

Charles (in GA)
07-10-2012, 06:36 PM
You've done some good reasearch and gotten some great advice from users with first-hand experience in waste oil heating. You've raised some good questions about storage, maintenance and savings. I work for EnergyLogic (www.energylogic.com)(formerly Black Gold) and we'd be glad to answer any questions you have about how much oil you need to get through a season, payback time and long term savings.

As another forurm contributor mentioned, waste oil heaters have come a long way over the years and I think your garage can experience some real savings and an improvement in comfort by heating with waste oil. We've been doing this for more than 25 years and know about each of the brands you are researching.

Please give us a call, (800) 335-3092.

Thanks for being upfront about your employment and willingness to provide information and advise about used/waste oil heaters.

Its kinda odd that your first post is in this thread. The thread is 6 years old, and just yesterday, a brand new member with a very cryptic user name made a vague post in this thread, promoting a used oil heater website of some sort. I asked that it be removed as spam.

Please stay with us and contribute to this board/forum.

To bring you up to date, I installed a Lanair 200K BTU used oil furnace in early 2011, which I documented IN THIS THREAD (http://www.garagejournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=86184).

Charles

Charles (in GA)
07-11-2012, 07:45 AM
Now, this is CLEARLY SPAM!!!!!

Charles

Hi. Be sure to talk to a distributor rep for Clean Burn before you buy any commercial brand of waste-oil furnace. Clean Burn is the industry leader BY FAR. Check
www.cleanburn.com for a distributor in your area. The Clean Burn distribution and service network is second to none, and will send a rep out to give you real recommendations based on your situation. Clean Burn pushes 50% market share in the industry and is only getting stronger. You don't have to take our word for it, just ask the people around you. Anyone who knows what they're talking about will tell you "you better get a Clean Burn"!

joecon
07-11-2012, 08:08 PM
I had a black gold for years (10?)and it was great itsaved me a lot
of money.I only had problems when it got bad oil or it got so dirty
because I did not clean it once a year.It would make an incredable
amount of heat.I would buy another one in a hartbeat.

Charles (in GA)
07-11-2012, 08:46 PM
I had a black gold for years (10?)and it was great itsaved me a lot
of money.I only had problems when it got bad oil or it got so dirty
because I did not clean it once a year.It would make an incredable
amount of heat.I would buy another one in a hartbeat.

There is something to be said for using this form of heat. Even though I do not generate much oil, I have neighbors and co-workers who have given me unbelievable amounts of it, with still more to come. In the past year, I have been given well over 200 gallons of used oil. I've become very picky about it, and don't hesitate to let people know that I cannot take their water laden oil because they left the "sealed" drain pan outdoors. (You know, those drain pans with the screw in plug in them) somehow they think water cannot get in.

I tell them now to drain it in a clean, open drain pan, funnel it into the container (hopefully the 4 or 5 qt oil container the new stuff came in) and cap it tight and keep it inside till I get it.

My heater tank is full to within an inch of the top (215 gals) and now I'm dumping it in a clean 55 gal drum (kept inside).

I'm almost hoping for a cold winter to burn some up and give it a good test.... NOT!!! (I'll settle for a few cold days here and there).

Charles

Shop Specialties
07-11-2012, 11:10 PM
I have been nothing but waste oil heater sales AND service for 21 years here in Montana. We are the only business in the state providing service for all brands. We are the Clean Burn distributor for the state of Montana because we believe in providing the best product to our customers.

If you guys have any questions please feel free to ask away. We are service first, sales second.

HOTFR8
07-11-2012, 11:53 PM
Sump oil in the wood heater in small doses.

Shop Specialties
07-12-2012, 12:02 AM
Now, this is CLEARLY SPAM!!!!!

Charles

If you are calling this spam then the EnergyLogic post would be spam also.

Charles (in GA)
07-12-2012, 12:19 AM
If you are calling this spam then the EnergyLogic post would be spam also.

No, The Energy Logic post identified himself, gave his email and phone number, and offered his services, while noting that he was employed by them.

The "Clean Burn" post was one of those folksy "Clean Burn is the greatest..." type of posts, without the person posting identifying himself, or providing any contact info, or identify who they represent (Clean Burn, or a dealer?)

Your post is similar to the EL post, stating you are in the business and willing to help. Big difference.

I looked at all the posts made by cantstopfishing before I reported them. They had been signed up since last September, yet only made a few posts, all pushing Clean Burn and none identifying them, either as a CB rep or as a dealer or whoever.

I looked at your posts a few minutes ago, you have a number of posts, and many are about other subjects, clearly you are a board participant.

I'm not a moderator on this board, but I've been here long enough (since about '06) to know the difference between spam and spiced spam and real ham. Its one of those things you really cannot describe well, but you know it when you see it.

Charles

Shop Specialties
07-12-2012, 12:36 AM
There are also people bragging up all the other brands. Where do we draw the line ? That one post from the other day about some phony forum was something that should be gone. I see the EL post more as spam since it is a salesman direct from the company looking to make a sale but I think it should stay. I have been playing heaters long enough to know everybody and how they run their business.

e-tek
07-12-2012, 12:57 AM
In retrospect, I wish I had installed an oil burning furnace....

Rickcnc
07-12-2012, 05:24 PM
In retrospect, I wish I had installed an oil burning furnace....

Here in Southern Ontario burning waste oil isn't a option, was banned a few years ago
:sad:

papabil
07-18-2012, 09:50 PM
Hi i have been using a clean burn for the last 15 years. very happy, have the burner rebuilt about every 5 years about +- $400 bill