View Full Version : The Harbor Freight PASS/FAIL Thread...

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28

lipadj46
09-14-2010, 04:34 PM
These are a big pass, I have not used every size but have used them with an impact driver. The chrome and overall finish is great, made in Taiwan, cost like $8 each. The sizes are all over the place but I have not run into a situation yet where I needed another size allen wrench.

http://i470.photobucket.com/albums/rr70/donlipa/DSC00725.jpg

reznunt
09-14-2010, 06:05 PM
http://www.harborfreight.com/media/catalog/product/cache/1/thumbnail/370x370/9df78eab33525d08d6e5fb8d27136e95/i/m/image_4208.jpg

the quick change screwdriver bits that look like these but they're all black and come in a small black plastic case are a FAIL. i used the #2 phillips bit in my snap-on ct561 for the first time to drive a drywall screw into a predrilled 2x4 (the hole was just a bit too small) and it stripped the teeth on the bit instead of stripping the screw head!

rayzor32
09-14-2010, 08:37 PM
lipadj46, did u use the phillips with the impact driver or the hexs?

lipadj46
09-14-2010, 09:01 PM
I used the phillips 3rd from right (#4) on a rotor and the hex 3rd from left on a seat bolt with an impact driver (the kind you hit with a hammer).

mtkst19
09-15-2010, 02:45 AM
just a follow up on the 115 piece cobalt drill set. I was asked where they were made from, since older hf bits sometimes came from Russia. they are made in china according to the package.

However, they are doing just fine.

Simplespeed
09-15-2010, 03:08 AM
These are a big pass, I have not used every size but have used them with an impact driver. The chrome and overall finish is great, made in Taiwan, cost like $8 each. The sizes are all over the place but I have not run into a situation yet where I needed another size allen wrench.

Is that a 9mm hex? I cant seem to find one anywhere.

lipadj46
09-15-2010, 03:37 AM
Is that a 9mm hex? I cant seem to find one anywhere.

Nope, in grand HF style it skips 9, 11, 13, 15 and 16

Sizes are: 3/8" drive: 4mm, 5mm, 6mm, 7mm, 8mm and 10mm
1/2" drive: 12mm, 14mm and 17mm

hooptytank
09-15-2010, 04:51 AM
First post here after reading this thread the whole day.
I've been pleasantly surprised with the majority of HF purchases over the past 10 years or so. I've been getting bolder with my purchases, moving up to power tools and electronics lately. I mean why not? I walked the power tool isle at OSH and Home depot last week and checked the origin of various Bosch, Makita, Dewalt, Milwaukee and others on display, 98% made in China, the other 2% in Mexico. HF tools probably come from the same vendors that are supplying parts for the other guys.

I've noticed some negative reviews of the HF stuff comes from people expecting way more quality for next to nothing, while better reviews come from ones who don't expect anything but a throw-away after a few uses but end up with a tool that last years after being used on a weekly basis.

EPIC PASS:
US General 700lb capacity 5 drawer red tool cart (http://www.harborfreight.com/five-drawer-service-cart-95272.html) $120 at parking lot sale w/20 % off coupon. Solid, solid, solid, big casters, once my buddies saw it they ran out an got themselves one. Building tip: DON'T TIGHTEN THE BOLTS AS YOU PUT EACH ONE ON. when its all assembled and all the bolts are finger tight make sure the cart is on a level surface and all the sides are square to the floor, then tighten everything up

PASS:
-Blue cart for mig welder
-auto darkening helmet w/ shade adjustment (preferred over speedglas which I had to manually turn on and got me a few times)
-Pittsburgh 3/8 impact sockets deep and shallow, sae/metric
-3/8 impact extensions
-brass handled center punch
-single speed multi tool, few uses but great every time
-pittsburgh long nose pliers, a little soft for heavy gripping but great for spring clips in odd spots, random clips, etc.
-magnetic trays
-1/4 and 3/8 drive torx bits
-multi angle finder w/mag base
-metal socket rails, for 1 dollar ea on sale how can you go wrong
-Goodyear air hose
-sta-lube moly grease gun refill tubes
-air drill w/ 1/2" chuck
-air chisel, tips are a bit soft, but you can buy quality replacements when they are worn
-micrometers, not much use but verified against calibrated starretts at different openings

FAIL:
-plastic and brass tipped dead blow hammer, still collecting lead shot off the floor years later
-6" screw C-clamps, will sorta hold stuff but not really clamp stuff
-90 or 100A flux core welder (EPIC FAIL), just a POS I got on craigslist as a package deal with the helmet and cart above for $40. the wire was live the moment the switch was on and the trigger only activated the wire feed...WTF?
-3" air cut off wheel, no power from day one, on its way back to China via the recycle dumpster
-multi size hole saw kit in gray box
-newest batch of nitrile gloves, tear like paper
-cut off wheels, they dont last, chip easily and have a real funny smell
-Air fittings

THINGS I WILL NOT BUY AT HF:
-drill bits, except the unibits I will try based on decent reviews
-wrenches, any of them
-non impact sockets, any of them, plus I have all the CM sockets I need
-screwdrivers, used too often to warrant a trip to the store
-anything edible
-consumables like abrasives, blades, etc unless it's a known brand
-torque wrenches, I can't risk a 10-15K engine build to an improperly torqued fastener
-Impact guns, I want to have the power to break stuff

I'm sure there's more, but that's it for now

djb2
09-15-2010, 09:42 AM
-3" air cut off wheel, no power from day one, on its way back to China via the recycle dumpster

You might want to give this another try. The one I got was fine. I bought it specifically to remove a transmission mount nut when a series of sockets, extractors and nut splitters wouldn't work. I do think of its as a big Dremel with a cut-off wheel, rather than as a small angle grinder, so perhaps it is a matter of expectations.

A few of the H-F chrome socket sets are quite nice. Not the cheap kits with ratchets, but the metric-only or SAE-only sockets. They are made in Taiwan, have a high polish with great chrome inside and out, and are strong enough that I haven't broken one yet.

I agree that their $10-on-sale 1/2" impact wrench is a throw-away (I gave mine away in like-new condition), but you should try the Earthquake ones before deciding that they are all weak.

Dewaynep
09-15-2010, 10:33 AM
I'm fairly new here, but I'll post a few of my Fails and Passes. I went on a HF spree a few months back when they had 25 and 30% off coupons in the car magazines. Here are a few of the things I purchased:

Punch/Flange air tool: FAIL, leaks hydraulic fluid every 4 or 5 punches. Chucked it in the trash.
Air 3/8 drill: PASS, barely. Has no guts at all, but I only use it for 1/8" holes for pop-rivets.
10 Ton C-Frame hydraulic shop press: PASS, big time. They don't sell these anymore (I'm not sure why, it's great) so I bought it on clearance with a coupon, total cost: $70. I would have paid the $199 it originally sold for. It is well made and works great. Doesn't take up as much room as an H frame shop press.
Air angle die grinder: PASS/FAIL. It works OK, but it is loud. Compared to my IR, there is no comparison. I think I paid $20 for the HF and $50 for the IR. I would by the IR again.
Air Body Saw: FAIL. Tossed that in the recycle bin after about 30 minutes use. The clamping fixture stripped the threads on the air motor connection.
English Wheel: PASS. I got this on sale and with a coupon for $160. Can't beat that price even though I will probably never put it to a real test. Same for their plannishing hammer setup. Got that for $80 on sale with a coupon. It works for what I need, but again, I won't really be testing it.
Digital dial calipers: PASS. Work great for a quick check of rotor thickness or rough sizing on the lathe.
Ball joint press kit: PASS for the occasional user. Not up to the quality of an OTC kit, but it does do what it is supposed to do. Make sure you grease the screw every use.
Power steering pulley puller set: PASS, again not for professional use, but does what it is intended to do. No comparison to the OTC tool I bought afterwards but it does work.

That's all for now. I've kinda given up on HF for now. I had too many of the tools I purchased on that shopping spree go bad within a few uses. I'm tired of buying junk and having to replace it a few uses later. I've resigned myself to buying the best quality I can afford at the time I need the tool.

csp
09-15-2010, 10:56 AM
English Wheel: PASS. I got this on sale and with a coupon for $160. Can't beat that price even though I will probably never put it to a real test.

How can you give a tool a PASS without using it as intended?

Put it to the real test and watch the frame flex as you tighten down the fixture. Not good.

sasquach
09-15-2010, 01:36 PM
I have that hole punch / flange tool and have had no problem at all with mine .Some of the shit you guys throw away could you just send it to me .I'm starting to think that some of you try to compare these tools to Snap on or another high quality brand . Remember they are cheap for a reason.

Romanova
09-15-2010, 07:01 PM
http://www.harborfreight.com/media/catalog/product/cache/1/image/370x/9df78eab33525d08d6e5fb8d27136e95/i/m/image_836.jpg

Looking at their 8 inch puller for a rear wheel bearing job on my Galant... anyone used this before?

Bolster
09-15-2010, 08:19 PM
Air 3/8 drill: PASS, barely. Has no guts at all, but I only use it for 1/8" holes for pop-rivets.

That's probably not a pass, then. The pass is if the tool works as it should, not if it's just barely sufficient to do an easy task that only requires partial capacity.

Regarding the English Wheel, I've seen plenty discussion on how HF Eng Wheels need considerable reinforcement & additional tubing and welding before they're really usable. It's more like buying a do-it-yourself kit than a functional EW (according to my machining prof, and from what I've read online, I don't own one).

At any rate, thanks for the ratings of the HarF swag! :thumbup: And welcome to the board! :beer:

I'm starting to think that some of you try to compare these tools to Snap on or another high quality brand . Remember they are cheap for a reason.

This is one of the big arguments I have with this thread (that I started). I think functionality should be rated independently of cost. I don't think we should "grade HarF on the curve" just because it's cheap. I think ratings should focus on whether or not the tool does the job it's supposed to do, not how little it cost, or why we should cut it slack, or how we can 'fix' it in order to use it.

The reason I started this thread was to discover what HF items worked well, irrespective of price. And there are plenty of HarF items that meet this criteria.

lipadj46
09-15-2010, 08:32 PM
http://www.harborfreight.com/media/catalog/product/cache/1/image/370x/9df78eab33525d08d6e5fb8d27136e95/i/m/image_836.jpg

Looking at their 8 inch puller for a rear wheel bearing job on my Galant... anyone used this before?

Yes I have it and have used it to change 3 hubs on my land rover and other random pulling tasks. For $8 how can you go wrong?

Tom2
09-15-2010, 11:56 PM
I broke a couple of the small pullers pretty easily. The heavy piece I was working on nearly fell on my foot. Definitely not worth it for me. Not worth the aggrevation, higher injury risk, etc to save a few dollars. For simple, easy to remove stuff..I imagine they're fine.

hooptytank
09-16-2010, 02:02 AM
You might want to give this another try. The one I got was fine. I bought it specifically to remove a transmission mount nut when a series of sockets, extractors and nut splitters wouldn't work. I do think of its as a big Dremel with a cut-off wheel, rather than as a small angle grinder, so perhaps it is a matter of expectations.

I probably got one from a bad batch, got a reversible Matco one now that is unstoppable. I'll probably get another HF one for home, figure I might get lucky this time

A few of the H-F chrome socket sets are quite nice. Not the cheap kits with ratchets, but the metric-only or SAE-only sockets. They are made in Taiwan, have a high polish with great chrome inside and out, and are strong enough that I haven't broken one yet.

I agree that their $10-on-sale 1/2" impact wrench is a throw-away (I gave mine away in like-new condition), but you should try the Earthquake ones before deciding that they are all weak.

I haven't tried any HF guns, and probably never will mainly because I have several already. They may be fine for a weekend warrior and even some techs, but IR guns have never failed to impress me. My newest is the matco branded version of the 2115QTiMAX :drool: . 3/8 drive titanium and composite construction, weighs about 2.5 lbs with a deep socket attached, 300 lbs ft. max, quieter than ANY other revolving air tool I own, and 2 yr warranty. When these tools put food on the table and keep the roof over my head, at about 3X more than the HF one, the price premium is totally worth it to me while it may be overkill to others. Plus the red colored body compliments the US General box finish very well. :beer:

Danglerb
09-16-2010, 02:17 AM
HF has good and bad points, throwing junk in the recycle skips maybe they best feature, EASY returns. If I buy something remotely questionable as to function, I test it right away and take it back if its not right, and then check the replacements at the store until I get a good one or they give me the money back or store credit or whatever.

I disagree with Bolster, its pointless to grade HF on a Snapon curve. If something works just as well as a Snapon, thats great, but as long as it does the job I want it to regardless of issues, thats OK too.

Using a non impact bit in a impact driver and having it fail, thats just wrong tool for the job.

Keep in mind these cheap, lesser quality HF tools put food on peoples tables by not wasting money on overpriced truck brands when all thats needed is to do maybe ONE job.

sasquach
09-16-2010, 02:24 AM
That's probably not a pass, then. The pass is if the tool works as it should, not if it's just barely sufficient to do an easy task that only requires partial capacity.

Regarding the English Wheel, I've seen plenty discussion on how HF Eng Wheels need considerable reinforcement & additional tubing and welding before they're really usable. It's more like buying a do-it-yourself kit than a functional EW (according to my machining prof, and from what I've read online, I don't own one).

At any rate, thanks for the ratings of the HarF swag! :thumbup: And welcome to the board! :beer:

This is one of the big arguments I have with this thread (that I started). I think functionality should be rated independently of cost. I don't think we should "grade HarF on the curve" just because it's cheap. I think ratings should focus on whether or not the tool does the job it's supposed to do, not how little it cost, or why we should cut it slack, or how we can 'fix' it in order to use it.

The reason I started this thread was to discover what HF items worked well, irrespective of price. And there are plenty of HarF items that meet this criteria.

Then in my opinion you should be buying Snap On or another quality tool . Harbor Freight is a CHEAP version of everyone and nowhere near an equal. Some are better than others but come on if you are shopping HF the you are either to cheap to buy quality or you are just using it at home on occasion .

hooptytank
09-16-2010, 04:21 AM
EPIC FAIL: their website :lol_hitti

http://www.harborfreight.com/report/skin/harborfreight/images/TechnicalDifficultiespg.jpg

hooptytank
09-16-2010, 04:27 AM
HF has good and bad points, throwing junk in the recycle skips maybe they best feature, EASY returns. If I buy something remotely questionable as to function, I test it right away and take it back if its not right, and then check the replacements at the store until I get a good one or they give me the money back or store credit or whatever.

True, but I only make the trip to HF about 2X a year and i'd probably forget to take it back at tht time, I bought it for 6 or 7 bucks years before on sale and then it just sat. finally decided to take it apart, nothing wrong, decided to modify the air inlet and valve. hissed a lot more but still no power, said screw it and tossed it

Danglerb
09-16-2010, 04:40 AM
True, but I only make the trip to HF about 2X a year and i'd probably forget to take it back at tht time, I bought it for 6 or 7 bucks years before on sale and then it just sat. finally decided to take it apart, nothing wrong, decided to modify the air inlet and valve. hissed a lot more but still no power, said screw it and tossed it

HF is one off ramp different on my way home, and sometimes the surface street path from them the rest of the way home is actually faster than my normal off ramp. If it wasn't so convenient, I would be MUCH more selective in what I buy.

As it is, half the categories in the store are items I don't even consider buying, a 1/4 things I look over very carefully before buying or not, and something around a 1/4 are reasonably proven items I buy and recommend to others like floor jacks, evaporust, cherry pickers, the good tool boxes.

I'm going there tomorrow to pick up a box of cheap latex gloves to stop my wife and son from using my good premium nitrile gloves for 5 min household tasks.

hooptytank
09-16-2010, 04:52 AM
I've used the 80lb and 100lb limiting extensions and they both torqued the lugs just a hair under their ratings. I checked the lugs with an old beam-type torque wrench and the HF click type.

Always use a torque wrench for final torque on lug nuts and most fasteners for that matter. These are supposed to get you close, without over-torquing and damaging the fastener. ALWAYS, regardless of gun brand, rattle stick brand or air psi used.

:beer:

hooptytank
09-16-2010, 04:56 AM
HF is one off ramp different on my way home, and sometimes the surface street path from them the rest of the way home is actually faster than my normal off ramp.

I envy you :thumbup: Then again it's probably best that I'm not so close to one.

lipadj46
09-16-2010, 05:27 AM
Then in my opinion you should be buying Snap On or another quality tool . Harbor Freight is a CHEAP version of everyone and nowhere near an equal. Some are better than others but come on if you are shopping HF the you are either to cheap to buy quality or you are just using it at home on occasion .

Can we stop hijacking the thread now that you beat this into the ground? Go start a Snap On "Pass is the only option" thread.

kc-steve
09-16-2010, 06:58 AM
Wow! At 89 pages I am sure there are duplicates here but I don't have time to read the whole thing. And hope this is new.

I bought a "Professional HVLP Paint Gun" kit for around $70 a year ago. It is currently on sale for $50. I used it recently on a car hood using epoxy primer, filler primer, base coat, and final clear coats (urethane). The user manual is not extensive and therefore my gun "material" settings were on the heavy side causing slight orange peel in the final product. Once I figure out the proper gun settings it should be fine.

If the gun doesn't work well, I reasoned that it could be a good second gun for primer. But this kit is a PASS.

http://www.harborfreight.com/air-tools/paint/professional-automotive-hvlp-spray-gun-kit-94572.html

When shopping HF for paint guns, BE CAREFUL NOT TO PURCHASE A GUN SPECIFIC TO WATER BASED PAINTS and then use urethane or oil based paints. The result will always be heavy settings causing an orange peel surface.

Steve

Dewaynep
09-16-2010, 09:19 AM
To answer the questions on my post:
I have used the english wheel. Is it a $4000 quality english wheel, no. Does it allow me to smooth out a panel that was beat with a hammer, yes. Does the frame flex, yes. Is it useable for light guage metal, yes. At $160 is anyone going to turn it down even if they have to work with its flaws, no.
The flange/punch tool I took apart and checked everything I could. I felt it wasn't worth my time to play around with it and tossed it.
I take everything I purchjase at harbor freight with a grain of salt. I know it's not of super quality, but does it do what I need it to? I don't need an english wheel to make a fuselage for a p-51. I may need it to make a small patch panel for a firebird so I don't need to use a ton of body filler. I needed that flange/punch tool to flange sheetmetal so I could make a patch panel. I was in the middle of getting the panel fitted up and needed the tool to work. I spent about an hour trying to get it to work and gave up and just manually flanged the panel. The tool didn't work for the intended purpose. By the way, the punch/flange tool was about $50 if I remember correctly, not exactly cheap.
I mostly use these tools in a professional environment. Meening, the tool has to make me money, not cost me money. The tools that I passed will make me money.

sasquach
09-16-2010, 09:26 AM
Can we stop hijacking the thread now that you beat this into the ground? Go start a Snap On "Pass is the only option" thread.

I beat it into the ground ?I just made a point and no I don't praise the Snap On gds like some do . I was just making a point . Some of the stuff that is being called a fail is just plain nitpicking .

Bolster
09-16-2010, 10:23 AM
Some of the stuff that is being called a fail is just plain nitpicking .

But some of the stuff that is being called a pass, is just plain junk.

I disagree with Bolster, its pointless to grade HF on a Snapon curve.

LOL, why do you guys use Snap-on as your point of contrast? I guess you didn't understand my post, I said HarF tools should be graded based on their functionality, not on their price. (Snap-on is not the only brand that sells functional tools; there are many cheaper brands that also sell functional tools. Stanley, for instance.)

For the record, I disagree with Danglerb, and the return-it-until-you-get-one-that-works philosophy. In my mind, it's pointless to give passing grades to HarF tools that have to be returned multiple times before you find a functional one, or "fixed" before they can be functional.

However, there are some HarF tools that don't require returns or fixes. That's what this thread was supposed to be about...the quality (ie, functional) tools that could be found at HarF. There are some.

I'm unhappy with the low bar that's been set in this thread, for what a 'pass' is. I don't take 'passes' found here, seriously at all. But, it's not my thread anymore, and that's just my 2. Obviously a lot of you guys disagree and that's fine.

sasquach
09-16-2010, 10:36 AM
Bolster I agree 100% with you . I have some HF tools and they work well . Shit I had a cut off tool for about 15 years that worked great even when all the ball bearings fell out it still cut for a few years , not precise but it cut.

racer1735
09-16-2010, 11:17 AM
I agree with the idea that you purchase the product, be it HF or Craftsman or whatever, for its functionality. And, if it saves you some $$ in the process, all the better.

My toolbox is crammed full of Craftsman. Sockets, wrenches, pliers, grips, you name it. As is my compressor. I don't have the need, nor the budget for Matco or Snap-on, as I'm just a home mechanic.

But, for things that are 'nice to have' that enable me to do jobs that otherwise would force me to go to a dealer or shop, HF comes in mighty handy. I have the tire changer with motorcycle attachment, the static wheel balancer, a 3-ton floor jack, a heat gun and I'm in the process of picking up the 1,000 lb. motorcycle lift table.

Like many others, I think about how often I will be using the tool and what kind of usage it will receive. Electric motors aren't something I'd expect to last very long in a HF tool (although many people have had good luck with them). The stuff I get is predominately user powered. With the tire changer, when I assembled it, I inserted my own washers and lock washers, thus eliminating much of the slack that was evident in the pieces. When I assembled the wheel balancer, I put a level to both sides to ensure it was square. I'll do the washer/lock washer routine with the lift table. And when its all done, I have tools that I can count on to do what I intend of them. And, just as my Craftsman stuff, they have, or should, last as long as I'll be using them.

Should they break (it hasn't happened often...to this point just with a 3-ton floor jack that stopped lifting), I take it back and they give me another one without a hassle. Yeah, it involves a 20-minute drive but at least I'm not out or tool or more money.

To sum up, I don't rely on HF as my main tool provider, but it provides me with a very good supplement for what I need to enjoy being a home mechanic.

subarub4
09-16-2010, 11:20 AM
Wow! At 89 pages I am sure there are duplicates here but I don't have time to read the whole thing. And hope this is new.

I bought a "Professional HVLP Paint Gun" kit for around $70 a year ago. It is currently on sale for $50. I used it recently on a car hood using epoxy primer, filler primer, base coat, and final clear coats (urethane). The user manual is not extensive and therefore my gun "material" settings were on the heavy side causing slight orange peel in the final product. Once I figure out the proper gun settings it should be fine.

If the gun doesn't work well, I reasoned that it could be a good second gun for primer. But this kit is a PASS.

http://www.harborfreight.com/air-tools/paint/professional-automotive-hvlp-spray-gun-kit-94572.html

When shopping HF for paint guns, BE CAREFUL NOT TO PURCHASE A GUN SPECIFIC TO WATER BASED PAINTS and then use urethane or oil based paints. The result will always be heavy settings causing an orange peel surface.

Steve

The only thing about that paint gun kit that you linked is I hear that the paint cup threads can leak? I was think of picking this up when painting my car.

kc-steve
09-16-2010, 11:34 AM
The only thing about that paint gun kit that you linked is I hear that the paint cup threads can leak? I was think of picking this up when painting my car.

Yeah, that's the "detail" gun threads. I haven't used it but it is just plastic, and the regular paint gun cup has metal threads. Works fine.

Steve

Davefr
09-16-2010, 01:19 PM
WARNING:
Harbor Freight's new crop of digital calipers are now junk. (design recently changed)

I actually like cheap digital calipers. They're accurate enough for everyday work and fairly inexpensive in case you drop them. (unlike Starrett)

A year ago I bought a 6" set which I'm very fond of and just decided to buy another set:

http://www.harborfreight.com/6-inch-digital-caliper-47257.html?p=2

There was a little sticker that said the caliper may be different then the image on the box. The sticker was right. They are now complete junk!!:

- The older set was smooth as silk. The new set has a very rough feel.
- The older set had automatic turn on the instant the calipers were moved. The new set doesn't have this feature despite claiming so in the manual.
- The LCD on the new set has tiny hard to see numbers. The old set's display was much larger and easier to read.
-The new set is silver. It looks like the scale is simply a cheap foil decal. The old set was anti glare black

If you're looking for inexpensive digital calipers go to Ebay or Amazon instead and try and get the older black ones.

djb2
09-16-2010, 02:53 PM
WARNING:
Harbor Freight's new crop of digital calipers are now junk. (design recently changed)

I'll second that. The one I bought a month ago looked and felt much cheaper than my previous purchases.

This was one of my favorite H-F tools. It was a very high quality instrument that looked, felt and performed like a top-shelf tool. They were something that you wouldn't hesitate to give as a present, or leave out as desk jewelry.

It's still better than the plastic one they sell for about $10, which works OK but is less precise and feels like a toy. Ironically, the one plastic one that I have gets the most real use because it sits loose in the tool chest drawer.

I think the 4" ones are still nice, but I haven't checked recently.

txz28
09-16-2010, 04:39 PM
http://www.garagejournal.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=46466&stc=1&thumb=1&d=1260247242

I second that PASS. I haven't taken them apart, though... You folks are going to corrupt me.

I had these. They broke before they even hit the first socket. FAIL!!!

hooptytank
09-16-2010, 08:29 PM
WARNING:

3X on the junk factor. the lack of automatic turn on is my biggest gripe. Plus has anyone noticed that they are all on when you open the box.

Stephenw
09-16-2010, 09:30 PM
Spot weld cutter works well.

Spot Weld Cutter (http://www.shopngarage.com/forum/index.php?topic=226.0)

knotheads
09-16-2010, 09:33 PM
Spot weld cutter works well.

Spot Weld Cutter (http://www.shopngarage.com/forum/index.php?topic=226.0)

x2 on those spotweld cutters

anodyne33
09-16-2010, 10:52 PM
Sunnuva.... I've even asked if they had them. Where in the store can they be found?

subarub4
09-17-2010, 01:41 AM
WARNING:

I actually like cheap digital calipers. They're accurate enough for everyday work and fairly inexpensive in case you drop them. (unlike Starrett)

A year ago I bought a 6" set which I'm very fond of and just decided to buy another set:

There was a little sticker that said the caliper may be different then the image on the box. The sticker was right. They are now complete junk!!:

- The older set had automatic turn on the instant the calipers were moved. The new set doesn't have this feature despite claiming so in the manual.
- The LCD on the new set has tiny hard to see numbers. The old set's display was much larger and easier to read.
-The new set is silver. It looks like the scale is simply a cheap foil decal. The old set was anti glare black

If you're looking for inexpensive digital calipers go to Ebay or Amazon instead and try and get the older black ones.

Funny I should say I saw a seller on ebay local to my area selling some digital calipers for less then HF so I picked it up instead.

No issues so far.

rayzor32
09-17-2010, 08:40 PM
http://www.harborfreight.com/3-8-eighth-inch-drive-75-ft-lbs-torque-compact-air-impact-wrench-93100.html

MASSIVE FAIL!

My coworker has one that he loves that he bought 10 years ago thats still going strong. So I bought one. The first 3 were junk right out of the box, the 4th one worked one time then started pissing out air like the other 3. Whatever they did sucks they need to make them like they used to.

Bolster
09-17-2010, 09:02 PM
Seems like once HarF gets a good product, they quickly change it out for a craptacular substitute!

Indy_500
09-17-2010, 10:12 PM
I had these. They broke before they even hit the first socket. FAIL!!!

mine were broke when i took em outta the package, exchanged and the next pair were broke too :lol_hitti

Racr350
09-17-2010, 11:22 PM
http://www.harborfreight.com/3-8-eighth-inch-drive-75-ft-lbs-torque-compact-air-impact-wrench-93100.html

MASSIVE FAIL!

My coworker has one that he loves that he bought 10 years ago thats still going strong. So I bought one. The first 3 were junk right out of the box, the 4th one worked one time then started pissing out air like the other 3. Whatever they did sucks they need to make them like they used to.

Same thing happened to me..decided to try it considering i didnt have a butterfly yet. the 3rd bolt i tried to tighten down, as soon as it "tried" to hammer it just blew air. i gave it to another tech here to have and attempt to fix it and decided to just suck it up and buy a SO. i dont think he ever got it working..

lipadj46
09-18-2010, 04:49 AM
Seems like once HarF gets a good product, they quickly change it out for a craptacular substitute!

Yes I think we are getting your point. Are you channeling the spirit of mickey O ;)

dodge610
09-19-2010, 11:34 AM
I have a small beadblast bussiness i use to buy nozzles from TP tools at like 14.00 dollars a pack found the same nozzles on Harbor Freight for 4.00 a pack they work just as well if not longer these get a big PASS i save big time on these thats what it is all about.

IONH
09-19-2010, 11:45 AM

MASSIVE FAIL!

Same thing happened to me..decided to try it considering i didnt have a butterfly yet. the 3rd bolt i tried to tighten down, as soon as it "tried" to hammer it just blew air. i gave it to another tech here to have and attempt to fix it and decided to just suck it up and buy a SO. i dont think he ever got it working..

Sounds like a lack of oil to me. Did you both add oil to your tools before using them? I wouldn't expect you to actually answer no, but feel free to edit your post to remove the FAIL if you didn't and I won't call you out on it.

Air tools aren't rocket surgery for even a cheap manufacturer to make, doubt that 75+% are failures out of the box.

porcupine73
09-19-2010, 12:10 PM
I'll admit, I have purchased a lot of stuff from Harbor Freight. Here's a few from my experience. First the fails:
Oil cans: MAJOR fail, these things are complete garbage
Those metal pry bar sets, the steel is VERY brittle and these things will just about shatter with any amount of force on them
Heat gun. Used it a few times then something went wrong with the motor and it spins like four times faster than it should, sounds like a turbine firing up and like it's going to explode.
The air nailers, have several differnet ones, no problems with any of them, but I don't use them too much.

Semi-wins (so so, good but not great)
The 9.99 plier sets, good for general use but obviously not a high quality high strength tool. Ditto most of the hand tools it seems.
3/4" drive air impact sockets, seem pretty strong.
The nitrile gloves. When on sale for 5.99 or so box/100 not too bad. I tried some 9.99/box from Amazon and they're way better, last longer, don't rip as much, so I'm not buying the HF ones anymore.

The wins:
Inner tie rod end tool, major win, have used it on several Subaru's.
That cheapie air cutoff tool, have used it quite a bit and it works great, I paid $3.99 with coupon
The little air dremel tool is sort of a win, it works great, but they always start to get air leaks after a few uses.
The 2/10/55 amp battery charger, pretty nice, have used many times, bought a 2nd one as a backup
Those little 12V battery maintainers. When on sale for $3.99 these are a bargain.
The Pittsburg ratcheting wrenches, seem quite good.
Fiberglass handled ball peen hammer 5 set, pretty nice, use them quite a bit.
Dead blow hammers.

fxt
09-19-2010, 12:33 PM
can you post parts numbers with the descriptions. i know that they make many similar items with different numbers

marrt
09-19-2010, 01:03 PM
I'm sure this is been asked before, but I couldn't find the exact answer when I searched? Can you now use a harbor freight 20% off coupon (store coupon) when calling their 800 number? I've read that some people have success with this...yet others seem to fail.

Tom2
09-19-2010, 01:45 PM
Thought it'd be worth mentioning - The one free scewdriver set is back - if you place an order through the website.

allinon72
09-19-2010, 05:10 PM
I bought a set of SAE stubby ratcheting wrenches today. Needed a stubby 1/2" so I decided to give this set a try. The ratcheting action is not as smooth as a Gear Wrench but it feels like a quality set at less than half the price. $70 for the stubby Gear Wrench set which I think is outrageous.

I'll probably go back for a metric set.

dlc
09-19-2010, 05:21 PM
The stubby metric ones are on sale for $9. I ordered a set last night.

http://www.harborfreight.com/merchandising-promotions/merchandising/hand-tools-clearance/6-piece-metric-stubby-gear-wrench-set-96581.html

allinon72
09-19-2010, 05:23 PM
Wow no wonder they were out of the metric set at the store.

mrholeshot
09-19-2010, 05:24 PM
The stubby metric ones are on sale for $9. I ordered a set last night.

http://www.harborfreight.com/merchandising-promotions/merchandising/hand-tools-clearance/6-piece-metric-stubby-gear-wrench-set-96581.html

I may buy a set just for the fact they are 9 dollars and I hate those things,lol

nuclearlemon
09-19-2010, 05:27 PM

yup...crap. i threw it away after one of the legs broke in half

nuclearlemon
09-19-2010, 05:32 PM
Then in my opinion you should be buying Snap On or another quality tool . .

because he thinks the tool should work as intended? i don't agree there. the tool is being marketed to do a job, regardless of how cheap it is, it should do it. i'll even add that it should do it more than once. you shouldn't have to fix anything out of the box for it to do something either.

i don't expect hf tools to last forever or be well abused like a decent tool, but i do expect them to do what they're supposed to do.

nuclearlemon
09-19-2010, 05:37 PM
while cleaning the yard, i was reminded of a semi pass. the tire changer. bought it years ago for my old land cruisers. had to keep rebending it back and finally reinforce it, but i did use it hard and for the $35 i paid for it, i definitely got my money's worth out of it.

subarub4
09-19-2010, 08:16 PM
Has anyone ever used the snap ring pliers? item 3316

First time I ever had to get something else other then HF.. I spent $21 for the same tool but the only thing it has over the HF one is I don't need to move the whole part to do a inner or outer it has a lever for that. but I spent $23 at HD :-/

porcupine73
09-19-2010, 08:41 PM
I don't think I have those exact 3316 HF snap ring pliers. I have a set of like six different ones. I have used them a couple times on firearms and some other projects and they seem to be alright. Lisle has a fairly nice heavy duty snap ring tool with interchangeable 'tines'.

Indy_500
09-20-2010, 12:07 AM
HF snap ring pliers suck

My impact died tonight, all HF air tools officially suck unless they are the earthquake ones

Danglerb
09-20-2010, 12:33 AM

First time I ever had to get something else other then HF.. I spent $21 for the same tool but the only thing it has over the HF one is I don't need to move the whole part to do a inner or outer it has a lever for that. but I spent $23 at HD :-/

I am pretty sure those were reported as a FAIL, they bend at the attachment point.

dede2897234
09-20-2010, 12:34 AM
HF Oil Filter Wrench. This one looks like a vise grip with curved jaws and adjusts with a knurled knob like a vise grip. It is the only one I use and will not crush a tight oil filter. It is a must have. PASS

Yesterday, I went to the Harbor Freight in Parma Heights and checked out the 6 to 10 locking oil filter wrenches they had in stock. I noticed the following manufacturing defects that disturbed me:

- sloppy casting where the last set of teeth met the inner jaw
- sloppy casting of the jaw tips that had apparent metal flashing
- noticeable misalignment of the upper and lower jaws evident when closing the jaws
- noticeable side to side play of both the upper and lower jaws

I wanted to purchase a pair based on the positive thread postings that I have read. However, I left the store without purchasing one.

To everyone who owns this hand tool, did you have to play with many oil filter wrenches (at possibly multiple stores) to find a decent pair?

Thanks,

Dave

3/1/2011 Update:

Out of the 6 different Harbor Freight stores (including Parma Heights and Erie, PA) I visited in the last 5 months, I looked at over 60 locking oil filter wrenches (item# 66568). Out of the 60 wrenches, I found 3 decent ones. I bought those 3 wrenches.

mikebramel
09-20-2010, 09:15 AM
digital battery tester PASS works good on lawn mower to truck batterys, tells available cca, internal resistance, voltage, etc
6.5hp 3gpm pressure washer PASS starts on second pull has good power. traded in a wood lathe/sander for it (FAIL, no balls, lots of runout) and a yellow 700lb hand truck with a foldable platform (PASS)

subarub4
09-20-2010, 09:18 AM
I am pretty sure those were reported as a FAIL, they bend at the attachment point.

Ah only thing it had going for it was the angled one.

Randy_che
09-20-2010, 10:13 AM

The 3316 snap ring pliers are a FAIL. They are weak and flex too much taking off rings, often causing the ring to slip off of one pin on the pliers. The joint spring/pin is really lame and sloppy. I took it out and used a nut and bolt, and it was better, but still too flexible. I think they were $3 or $4, and are not worth it. There are other sets at HF that are better. I've had decent luck with #610 5 piece set. Some say the tips are weak, but I have not had an issue yet. They do not flex like the 3316 set.

subarub4
09-20-2010, 10:31 AM
glad I checked out here before making that 50 mile drive!

Thanks!

dlc
09-20-2010, 10:53 AM
digital battery tester PASS works good on lawn mower to truck batterys, tells available cca, internal resistance, voltage, etc

Part number?

rayzor32
09-20-2010, 06:54 PM
the locking oil filter wrench looks pretty chincy to me, I use the red handled claw/channellock style one that ones a big PASS. All the HF snap ring pliers are giant FAILS.

Racr350
09-20-2010, 09:39 PM
(PASS)

x2 BIG pass. :thumbup: Put it up against a $800 Toyota Midtronics GR8 battery tester and saw marginal difference in numbers. I was blown away. $60 with a 20% coupon was a no brainer. Only downside is no available printer to attatch slips to RO's. But no biggie. I just write down the info for the customer...

Heres the Part # & Link:
66892-HHH
http://www.harborfreightusa.com/usa/itemdisplay/displayItem.do?itemid=66892

rayzor32
09-21-2010, 06:01 PM
Niceee too bad about no printer though

djb2
09-21-2010, 06:47 PM
...checked out the 6 to 10 locking oil filter wrenches they had in stock. I noticed the following manufacturing defects that disturbed me:

- sloppy casting where the last set of teeth met the inner jaw
- sloppy casting of the jaw tips that had apparent metal flashing
- noticeable misalignment of the upper and lower jaws evident when closing the jaws
- noticeable side to side play of both the upper and lower jaws

Thanks for the report. I was planning to buy one to remove CV joints -- some new replacements have only the tiniest lip, which easily rounds off when you try to pop them out of the transaxle. A u-bolt sometimes works, but often doesn't catch on the lip any better than a pry bar.

scott37300
09-21-2010, 06:59 PM
Thanks for the report. I was planning to buy one to remove CV joints -- some new replacements have only the tiniest lip, which easily rounds off when you try to pop them out of the transaxle. A u-bolt sometimes works, but often doesn't catch on the lip any better than a pry bar.

You were going to use it for CV joints? If I understand what you are saying(pulling the half shafts out of the transaxle) I bought one of these and it works pretty good http://www.tooltopia.com/otc-tools-7507.aspx. Looking to get or make an extension for my slide hammer now.

32rules
09-21-2010, 10:04 PM
Just purchased the 18.5 volt cordless drill for $14.99
Worked well right out of the box and seemed much more substaintial than a 14.99 tool.
5 clutch sttings, keyless chuck and 0-900 rpm tigger, reversible and comes compete witha 2 headed screw driver bit.
Bought 1/2 toque wrench for $9.99 (havent used it yet)
Brass welding paddle for $7.14
Soap stones 5 for a $1
Got out of the store for $35 including tax.

Racr350
09-21-2010, 10:43 PM
Niceee too bad about no printer though

That would be pretty awesome if they had a printer you could buy too. But I feel thats a little too much to ask for from HF. Do you work at a Toyota dealership?

subarub4
09-25-2010, 07:46 AM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v77/SubaruWRX/Image1-1.jpg
Got to use item 92699 finally after sitting in the closet for about 6 months..

It did leak a little fuel from the gauge screwing into the T fitting but I also used pipe sealing tape on it too but I don't want to screw it down too far because it's aluminum.

if I get it to work without leaking I will post the final review.

kc-steve
09-25-2010, 09:36 AM
x2 BIG pass. :thumbup: . . .

Heres the Part # & Link:
66892-HHH

Thanks for the link Racr, I have used the Cen-tech voltmeter I bought for $3 and was surprised that it worked at all for that price, but is accurate and hasn't failed yet after 20+ months. I was so impressed I bought three of them. So I'll definitely pick up the battery tester too.

Thanks again,
Steve

rayzor32
09-25-2010, 09:39 AM
That would be pretty awesome if they had a printer you could buy too. But I feel thats a little too much to ask for from HF. Do you work at a Toyota dealership?

no i work at an independent shop. Even w/o the printer it could save you a bundle on batteries just bring it to the junkyard find the best battery and pay 14 bucks for a good battery instead of 70.

Lkdelta
09-25-2010, 11:04 AM
1.I have the steel "trailer hitch carrier" and she has the aluminum carrier all pass
2.The better "maroon" sawz-all" in a lot better than the orange one
3.variable sp. autobuffer is a pass
4.I have 3 auto floor jacks, the 2&1/2 ton, and pair of 3 ton, all pass
5.The socket sets sae and mm, are good 1/4,3/8 & 1/2 including the allen set, star bit external & internal all pass
6.The chain saw chain sharpener is awesome, if you're cutting wood covered in dirt, can touch up the chain in about a half hour

1.The screw driver "on a handle" sets, shattered, major fail, would never trust any hi-speed bit (drill, router)after I saw that screw driver
2.the air fittings fail

djb2
09-25-2010, 01:26 PM
You were going to use it for CV joints? If I understand what you are saying(pulling the half shafts out of the transaxle) I bought one of these and it works pretty good http://www.tooltopia.com/otc-tools-7507.aspx. Looking to get or make an extension for my slide hammer now.

That's the same tool Autozone has in their loaner program. One of its uses is for pulling the passenger side CV joint on Toyotas. To get equal length half shafts, they have a two piece axle with a support bearing where it runs through the right engine mount. (Although this tool didn't work for me, despite many applications of PB Blaster and heat. I ended up taking off the engine mounting bracket and using a sledge hammer.)

That tool doesn't help remove a stuck inner joint. Since it grabs at the shaft it will only pull the inner joint apart, leaving the outer part of the joint still in the transmission. (These are tripod trunnion bearings. The only thing that keeps them from sliding apart is the boot.)

Tornado
09-25-2010, 08:48 PM
3-1/2 Cubic Ft. Cement Mixer - Item # 67536 --- PASS

I have used this 4 times and mixed about 3 1/2 yards of concrete total so far. It has got the job done without issue. Don't forget to plug this into a GFI outlet or get a plug in type GFI since there will generally be water involved in mixing concrete.

strnjss
09-25-2010, 09:10 PM
x2 BIG pass. :thumbup: Put it up against a $800 Toyota Midtronics GR8 battery tester and saw marginal difference in numbers. I was blown away. $60 with a 20% coupon was a no brainer. Only downside is no available printer to attatch slips to RO's. But no biggie. I just write down the info for the customer...

Heres the Part # & Link:
66892-HHH

The only other downside is that I can't find it anywhere! I guess they don't sell it online, and I have never seen it in a catalog, and I tried adding it from the item number, and it can't find it anywhere.

Guess next time I take a ride out an hour away to my HF, I'll try and spot one.

subarub4
09-25-2010, 09:27 PM

Heres the Part # & Link:
66892-HHH

Thanks, always wondered about that nice to see it's worth it! :bubbrubb:

Racr350
09-25-2010, 09:44 PM
The only other downside is that I can't find it anywhere! I guess they don't sell it online, and I have never seen it in a catalog, and I tried adding it from the item number, and it can't find it anywhere.

Guess next time I take a ride out an hour away to my HF, I'll try and spot one.

I do find it odd that the "retail" website doesnt have it, as my store did. It was in the electronics section with other electrical diag. products. Hope you find it, its a great buy :thumbup:

GrantCee
09-25-2010, 10:28 PM

Heres the Part # & Link:
66892-HHH

My local store has 6 of them at $99 (!) Have they ever gone on sale?

Steve_P
09-26-2010, 12:26 PM

what are the part number on the screw tipped ones? I searched and could not find them.

I have HF inch and metric hex drivers like shown and they have held up very nicely although i did wear out one of the smaller inch ones doing failure testing on screws (long story)

Steve_P
09-26-2010, 12:34 PM
two ply nitrile gloves- fail

http://www.harborfreight.com/pack-of-100-mediumtwo-ply-nitrile-latex-gloves-45043.html

These are HF's third gen (at least) blue nitrile gloves. The first gen was the pale blue ones, which they still sell, and were ok to fair. next they came out with a really nice two ply (thick) nitrile-latex glove which I loved. It is what is shown in the above link and pic, but what they are selling now is not what is in the pic- or at least not what I got last time. I bought several boxes of the nitrile-latex gloves a few yrs ago and found them well fitting, comfortable, and lasted way longer than the latex gloves did for general use- well worth the 2X price over their latex glove. Recently I ordered some more of the nitrile-latex combos and now found a different glove- it's a darker blue than what they sold a few yrs ago and much thinner- light easily passes thru them. They do not last anywhere near the nitrile-latex glove they sold a few yrs ago. Very dissapointing as I really liked the other model

Bolster
09-26-2010, 12:39 PM
Got out of the store for $35 including tax.

Welcome to GJ, 32rules. Please keep in mind this thread is for finding which tools at HF are quality. It's not for high-fives regarding how little you spent. Looks like you posted shortly after purchasing your tools. After you have thoroughly tested your tools, please report back on their quality. Thanks!

Again, guys, if you have to fix it before you can even test it, it's a fail. Seriously, new tools shouldn't have to be fixed before first use. That used to be common knowledge.

As a friendly reminder: This thread is for finding the quality tools sold at HF, and for identifying the ones to avoid. It's not intended to be a "look how little I spent" thread; I'm guessing that the majority of us already know that HarF tools don't cost much.

RAYJAY
09-26-2010, 04:11 PM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v77/SubaruWRX/Image1-1.jpg
Got to use item 92699 finally after sitting in the closet for about 6 months..

It did leak a little fuel from the gauge screwing into the T fitting but I also used pipe sealing tape on it too but I don't want to screw it down too far because it's aluminum.

have the same set it works flawless and YES i have used it a couple of times :shocking: use it in a couple of SHO's and my older f 150 never a problem and subbarub4 you do have to tighten the gauge really good :thumbup:

mikebramel
09-26-2010, 05:20 PM

mine was &70 on sale plus the 20p coupon. good deal

Racr350
09-26-2010, 08:28 PM

$99!?!?! My store had them up for $60. I THINK they retail for $80. You may want to ask about that price.

subarub4
09-26-2010, 09:12 PM
have the same set it works flawless and YES i have used it a couple of times :shocking: use it in a couple of SHO's and my older f 150 never a problem and subbarub4 you do have to tighten the gauge really good :thumbup:

well it's cheap metal so I don't want to strip the thing.. I was able to get two more full turns on it.. anymore it's going to crack the face to the gauge..

I will do the pressure test again because I can't tell if the pressure dropping is because of the tiny drip or really a leaky injector..

the hold pressure was 26 psi and 5 min later it was 14 psi.

rayzor32
09-27-2010, 04:47 PM
i had to put teflon tape on mine to stop the leaking and i cracked the plastic a little tightening it. just dont get the tape at the end part or its going to clog it and read zero.

subarub4
09-27-2010, 05:50 PM
I did four wraps of tape I would test again but it's going to rain for two days

Shadowdog500
09-27-2010, 11:00 PM
Over the weekend I picked up a 20 Gallon Portable Oil Lift Drain with a 20% off coupon for $118. So far I have about 7 gallons of oil in it and pumped it out to see how well the pneumatic powered drain works. Everything worked great. This is all metal and appears to be very durable.

The only thing I would recommend is unscrewing everything that screws into the pressure regulator and removing the excess teflon tape from within the regulator. Whoever out this together put way too much teflon tape on everything, and i had to pull teflon tape out of the regulator with a pair of tweezers.

Chris

http://i527.photobucket.com/albums/cc353/shadowdog500/7d02e903.jpg?t=1285642742

BerninicaCO3
09-28-2010, 01:21 AM
Hi!

I'm eyeballing the cobalt drill bit set, on sale for $100 (or $80 after that 20% coupon).
Is it any good?
Their still drill bits have been of uneven quality... their holesaws were garbage, their standard drill bits are fine for brass, aluminum, woods but not any real steel.

Now the cobalt set I would get specifically to drill through steel: are they well made? Sharp, precisely ground, and of an alloy that will actually be harder than the mild steel I ask the bits to cut through?

3 at 8
09-28-2010, 10:47 PM
Saftey style push button air coupler: http://www.harborfreight.com/1-4-quarter-inch-industrial-push-button-air-coupler-66263.html FAIL

I could not get one to work out of four purchased. The reviews on the HF site are horrible too. Tried to save a couple of bucks over the Milton; dont waste your time.

Multipurpose Stainless Steel Scissors: http://www.harborfreight.com/7-inch-multipurpose-stainless-steel-scissors-97042.html PASS

Love em. Use them daily for about three months now. I would call them "shears". Finesse enough to use like scissors yet ridgid enough to cut open plastic packages, cardboard and zip ties. Spring has'nt fallen out and I dont think it will as it is set in the handle pretty deep. I have the 5" for more leverage, and it was slightly cheaper than the 7" model shown. Maybee one of my favorite purchases from HF.

mikebramel
09-28-2010, 11:13 PM
Saftey style push button air coupler: http://www.harborfreight.com/1-4-quarter-inch-industrial-push-button-air-coupler-66263.html FAIL

I could not get one to work out of four purchased. The reviews on the HF site are horrible too. Tried to save a couple of bucks over the Milton; dont waste your time.

AGREED. doesnt work AT ALL

don-vee
09-29-2010, 05:28 PM
"Drill Master" 12 volt cordless drill, had it for nearly 6 years, gets beat to hell, still working. I upgraded to a Matco and gave the HF one to my mom. Still works, sometimes it runs slow and smokes, but it clears up after about 5 or 6 seconds. My friend bought the same brand, same voltage, slightly different design, died in 8 months with minimal useage. FAIL FOR MY FRIEND, PASS FOR ME

Balljoint pickle fork, head snapped off after using it for less than 10 seconds. FAIL

Sawzall blades, worst ever, cutting mild steel, dulled in less than 20 seconds. FAIL

Respirator, was pretty nice, but then they switched suppliers and now I can't find the proprietary filters anywhere, so now it's useless. FAIL

Mini air sawzall, seems to work good, but blades suck. Upgraded to name-brand blades and it rocks. PASS

Electric angle grinder, very off-balance, vibrates horribly, I have to smack it against the ground to get it to turn on. FAIL

Dremel-like rotary tool, paid $6, worst Dremel ever, gutless and off-balance, kept the large amount of bits it came with, gave the tool away. FAIL

15lb slide hammer, bent one of the bits, but I really was asking a LOT of it, helped straighten a frame horn and several other tough jobs, PASS

HUGE pipe wrench, used it for some trailer hitches and heavy plumbing work on 3" iron pipe, performed perfectly. PASS

Flux-core welding wire, welds way nicer and smoother than the Lincoln wire from Home Depot, and quite a bit cheaper. Plus, it's made in Italy, not China. PASS

Wood-handle framing hammer, head went flying when handle snapped. Returned it, they offered me a replacement, I asked for a metal-handled one and I'd pay the difference. FAIL

The aforementioned metal-handled framing hammer, my favorite hammer EVER, absolutely awesome, just "feels right". PASS

3-piece step drill bit, broke one first time using it, returned, new ones haven't broken yet and I use 'em pretty frequently. PASS

Ratcheting clamps, the black plastic and orange ones, they break if you stare at them hard enough. FAIL

Goodyear 10ft air hose, had it for 3 years now, never had a problem. PASS

HVLP spray gun set with 2 guns, actually pretty decent kit for the 50 bucks I paid. Did a very nice paint job on my Beetle. PASS

Countless air fittings, never had a problem. PASS

Water separator for air compressor, just flat out did not do its job. Still had water coming through the line to my air tools, and reservoir was barely damp. Returned it. FAIL

6" backing plate for DA sander. Completely blew apart after about 15 minutes of use. FAIL

Bolster
09-29-2010, 05:51 PM
Welcome, Don-vee. That's a great post, thanks.

rayzor32
09-29-2010, 07:52 PM
the flux core from HF is better than lincoln? :confused: Is it different than the ones that come in their welders? b/c the wire that came in my HF wire blows, someone told me to get lincoln and it will rock

Randy_che
09-29-2010, 10:10 PM
the flux core from HF is better than lincoln? :confused: Is it different than the ones that come in their welders? b/c the wire that came in my HF wire blows, someone told me to get lincoln and it will rock

I have the same question. It is generally acknowledged that the stuff that comes with the welders is junk. However, the rolls on the shelf at least "look" decent. Are the replacement rolls of wire any good? Anyone else dare to try them?

bchee
09-29-2010, 11:33 PM
Electric angle grinder, very off-balance, vibrates horribly, I have to smack it against the ground to get it to turn on. FAIL

Which model number are you referring to?

don-vee
09-30-2010, 12:16 AM
Which model number are you referring to?
Well, it's an older one, but it looks almost the same as #91223 except it's blue instead of red. I don't know the model number of mine, the sticker peeled off a long time ago. Could be the same one.

don-vee
09-30-2010, 12:21 AM
Not sure of the wire that comes with the welders, as I never used one of their welders. I have an old Tweco MIG that I set up for flux-core, and I used to use the Lincoln wire from Home Depot since it was cheap. It worked okay. Then HF moved to town, and they had a pretty great deal on the wire. So, figuring it would probably be total shit, I took a shot anyway since it was dirt cheap. I was very pleasantly surprised. It welded smoother, very nice consistency, and less spatter.
Someone told me their welding wire was made in Taiwan or China, but all the wire I've gotten from my local HF says it's made in Italy. So, I guess maybe doublecheck if you're buying wire from there that you get the Italian stuff.

kc-steve
09-30-2010, 12:23 AM
Well, it's an older one, but it looks almost the same as #91223 except it's blue instead of red. I don't know the model number of mine, the sticker peeled off a long time ago. Could be the same one.

The ORANGE one works well enough for $18. Mine has lasted 18 months or so after I cleaned out the original grease and replaced it with quality grease. It is my back up or second-string grinder though, for my Milwaukee. :)

Steve

djb2
09-30-2010, 01:01 AM

The blue one is branded "Drill Master" and has a bad reputation. It's often on sale for $10.

The orange ones get great reviews.

subarub4
09-30-2010, 06:01 PM
I picked up a few items today..

the auto ranging DMM item 98674... I should of opened it before I left the store because on the back it says the 3 AAA batts don't come with it so I picked up the cheapest I could find at HF and when I got in the car the batts were in the box...

I picked up the black 3-in-1 jump box they would sold out of the yellow cheaper model :( item 8884

and the vacuum gauge.. now this was funny.. I made the mistake again of not checking inside (it was not with plastic wrap) so I got to the car and I noticed a bunch of pieces missing like the hose and the metal bits.. they had no problem with a exchange

Item 93547

http://www.harborfreight.com/automotive-motorcycle/diagnostics/fuel-pump-and-vacuum-tester-93547.html

Chadro
09-30-2010, 06:09 PM
Has the quality of their impact sockets gone down? I picked up a set of the 13 pc deep wells in both metric and SAE and they look like shit. I just needed a couple of spare sets but these are pretty terrible. The finish on them is like sandpaper and the size markings are tiny and in a different place on every socket.

The last sets I bought were glassy smooth and had 5 gallons of oil all over them, these are dry and your lucky if you don't cut your hands on the finish. If anyone has the 13 pc set in the blowmolded plastic case, let me know how yours are because I think these are going back.

mtkst19
09-30-2010, 06:49 PM
Hi!

I'm eyeballing the cobalt drill bit set, on sale for $100 (or $80 after that 20% coupon).
Is it any good?
Their still drill bits have been of uneven quality... their holesaws were garbage, their standard drill bits are fine for brass, aluminum, woods but not any real steel.

Now the cobalt set I would get specifically to drill through steel: are they well made? Sharp, precisely ground, and of an alloy that will actually be harder than the mild steel I ask the bits to cut through?

based off your price of 100 on sale, i assume you mean the 115 piece set. i bought it for 99 plus 20% off coupon. so figure 80 bucks range.

I have been using them lately on a lot of stainless steel and thicker steel. I keep the drill speeds slow and use lube like you should on any drill bit and have been ok. I'm happy with them.

lipadj46
09-30-2010, 07:33 PM
Has the quality of their impact sockets gone down? I picked up a set of the 13 pc deep wells in both metric and SAE and they look like shit. I just needed a couple of spare sets but these are pretty terrible. The finish on them is like sandpaper and the size markings are tiny and in a different place on every socket.

The last sets I bought were glassy smooth and had 5 gallons of oil all over them, these are dry and your lucky if you don't cut your hands on the finish. If anyone has the 13 pc set in the blowmolded plastic case, let me know how yours are because I think these are going back.

The laser etched shallow set that I bought a couple years ago is great but not sure if it has changed or not.

Chadro
09-30-2010, 08:32 PM
The laser etched shallow set that I bought a couple years ago is great but not sure if it has changed or not.

I don't know but these are terrible. I think I'm going to return them and get a couple sets of Stanley's instead. Spare sets or not, no excuse.

strnjss
09-30-2010, 09:00 PM

I ordered a set of metric and SAE impacts from HF last year.

The SAE came in a big red blow molded case with a clear window looking in. They were kind of rough textured and extremely filthy. I had to clean them like crazy so my hands didn't turn black just handling them.

For some reason, the metric came in a black bent up metal tin. The appearance was glassy compared to the SAE ones. It was as if I had bought two different brands or something. They were also kind of dirty but not as bad.

I have barely used either set yet though, except for the 15mm, which has not broken yet.

jeffk14
09-30-2010, 09:37 PM

I just received both the 1/2" drive 13-pc metric & SAE deep well sets on Wednesday. The black oxide finish is a little rough and I don't know how well the etched-on size markings will hold out. Both were in blow molded cases with the window. Both were drenched with oil. For what I paid, I'm not disappointed. Time will tell how well they're made.

Chadro
09-30-2010, 10:55 PM
I ordered a set of metric and SAE impacts from HF last year.

The SAE came in a big red blow molded case with a clear window looking in. They were kind of rough textured and extremely filthy. I had to clean them like crazy so my hands didn't turn black just handling them.

For some reason, the metric came in a black bent up metal tin. The appearance was glassy compared to the SAE ones. It was as if I had bought two different brands or something. They were also kind of dirty but not as bad.

I have barely used either set yet though, except for the 15mm, which has not broken yet.

The old ones are the ones in the metal box, the new plastic box/rough sockets must be the new ones. Maybe I just have a texture issue but I still don't like them.

Indy_500
09-30-2010, 11:04 PM
The old ones are the ones in the metal box, the new plastic box/rough sockets must be the new ones. Maybe I just have a texture issue but I still don't like them.

i bought 3 sets recently

10 pc shallow 1/2 drive sae on sale
10 pc shallow 1/2 drive metric on sale
16 pc deep 1/2 drive sae on clearance

the 10 piecers came in a metal box and are VERY rough. The 16 piece is no longer sold and is perfectly smooth and came in a plastic box like what you would get with big socket sets like a case type thing.

subarub4
10-01-2010, 03:46 AM
I posted this on the slickdeals thread so I will post it here..

Inside of the battery jump box.

sickytwisted
10-01-2010, 03:52 AM
Hey subarub4! What is that?:headscrat

subarub4
10-01-2010, 04:02 AM
Hey subarub4! What is that?:headscrat

This

http://www.harborfreight.com/automotive-motorcycle/battery/3-in-1-jump-start-air-compressor-8884.html

Danglerb
10-01-2010, 04:14 AM
I posted this on the slickdeals thread so I will post it here..

Inside of the battery jump box.

Not bad looking really, but 30 day warranty, best to find out what a replacement battery costs, or is it a common motorcycle etc. battery?

When Costco was selling a bunch of these the return rate was nasty, due to people letting the battery fully discharge. One of the electronics stores bought pallets of them sold as is for $30, but needing a new battery. With a quality gel cell people were very happy with them.

subarub4
10-01-2010, 07:05 AM
Battery seems to go for around $38

and yeah you can't let these things fully discharge

bochnak
10-01-2010, 08:07 AM
Any generators mentioned? Pass or fail?

787B
10-01-2010, 10:09 AM
93888 Mover's Dolly (http://www.harborfreight.com/movers-dolly-93888.html) - small size, 1000 lb capacity - FAIL!

They changed the design and/or supplier since I last bought these 5-6 months ago. The wheels are hard plastic and have a mind of their own. There is so much slop in the pivot that they refuse to caster when the dolly is loaded and pushed. The wood and carpet are thinner and poorly put-together. They are junk now.

What sucks is these used to be great little dollies. When they had the solid hard rubber wheels and chamfered corners they were excellent. They rolled smoothly even when heavily loaded. I have a dozen that I used in my garage to store and roll around stacks of wheels/tires, spare transmissions, spare engines, heavy cases filled with gear, and even my Snap On mid-rise scissor lift! I paid the same price for old and new.

I'm going to take the new ones back and take on old one with me and show the manager the difference. No doubt it won't do a damn bit of good, but at least I did something in addition to not buying them anymore. Guess the son who stole HF from his Dad needs to pay for that multi-million-dollar mansion in Cali...

787B
10-01-2010, 01:54 PM
Any generators mentioned? Pass or fail?

I bought the generator too. You can get it for $64 with 20% coupon through Sunday. Initial inspection found it to be built a bit better than your average HF schlock. Fit and finish is pretty good. There are 80+ reviews on HF.com and most are positive.

Based on those reviews the first thing I did was pull the spark plug and sure-enough, the gap was set to less than 0.010". No wonder they don't run good out of the box! Gap should be 0.025-0.031. Regapped and reinstalled, but didn't have any gas to run it yet. I'll use it for a while and then give it a pass or fail. Break out my Kill-A-Watt and see if Volts and Hertz are right too under load.

subarub4
10-01-2010, 01:55 PM
93888 Mover's Dolly (http://www.harborfreight.com/movers-dolly-93888.html) - small size, 1000 lb capacity - FAIL!

They changed the design and/or supplier since I last bought these 5-6 months ago. The wheels are hard plastic and have a mind of their own. There is so much slop in the pivot that they refuse to caster when the dolly is loaded and pushed. The wood and carpet are thinner and poorly put-together. They are junk now.

What sucks is these used to be great little dollies. When they had the solid hard rubber wheels and chamfered corners they were excellent. They rolled smoothly even when heavily loaded. I have a dozen that I used in my garage to store and roll around stacks of wheels/tires, spare transmissions, spare engines, heavy cases filled with gear, and even my Snap On mid-rise scissor lift! I paid the same price for old and new.

I'm going to take the new ones back and take on old one with me and show the manager the difference. No doubt it won't do a damn bit of good, but at least I did something in addition to not buying them anymore. Guess the son who stole HF from his Dad needs to pay for that multi-million-dollar mansion in Cali...

each store I go in always has piles of them always stacked up..

I wonder if it would work better if the wheels were changed? too bad it's a tad short for a 400lb object.

subarub4
10-01-2010, 01:57 PM
I bought the generator too. You can get it for $64 with 20% coupon through Sunday. Initial inspection found it to be built a bit better than your average HF schlock. Fit and finish is pretty good. There are 80+ reviews on HF.com and most are positive.

Based on those reviews the first thing I did was pull the spark plug and sure-enough, the gap was set to less than 0.010". No wonder they don't run good out of the box! Gap should be 0.025-0.031. Regapped and reinstalled, but didn't have any gas to run it yet. I'll use it for a while and then give it a pass or fail. Break out my Kill-A-Watt and see if Volts and Hertz are right too under load.

hey I know they have an upcoming sale on these things but is it better to get it now or wait? I have awhile to wait like another year.. I plan on getting it to run two halogen lights that HF sells I think it was the dual 250 W

Danglerb
10-01-2010, 02:16 PM
hey I know they have an upcoming sale on these things but is it better to get it now or wait? I have awhile to wait like another year.. I plan on getting it to run two halogen lights that HF sells I think it was the dual 250 W

I think cost of the extended warranty would be the deciding point for me.

OTOH with HF good batch, bad batch, you don't want to pass up one now if this is a good batch.

subarub4
10-01-2010, 03:08 PM
I think cost of the extended warranty would be the deciding point for me.

OTOH with HF good batch, bad batch, you don't want to pass up one now if this is a good batch.

It's hard to say about the batch I've been looking at the reviews on the website but not too much posted here about it, I know the spark plug is crap and with it not gapped right that's another reason why.

subarub4
10-01-2010, 03:11 PM
I have this digital meter here the cen-tech 98674.. Does anyone else have this?

It's a pass but the sound reading level seems to be way off.. in a silent room it's reading like 50 dB.. if I blow into the sound mic it shoots to 100 dB.

Other then that it works right and the autoranging works and cool how the sockets light up if you don't have the correct plugs in if you give the meter to someone that does not know a advance meter.

LEVE
10-01-2010, 03:42 PM
Cen-Tech 96451 - Non Contact Laser Thermometer.

PASS.

I've used it to troubleshoot engines and snap switches on pellet stoves. It's getting to be invaluable. On sale this week-end for $26, a very good deal.

http://www.harborfreight.com/media/catalog/product/cache/1/image/370x/9df78eab33525d08d6e5fb8d27136e95/i/m/image_3578.jpg (http://www.harborfreight.com/non-contact-laser-thermometer-96451.html)

Tom2
10-01-2010, 04:21 PM
Good to know. I have the little mini $10 version. Really haven't used it enough to remember whether it works well or not.

subarub4
10-01-2010, 07:02 PM
has anyone tried this battery charger?

2/6 Amp, 6/12 Volt Battery Charger
ITEM # 66783

http://www.harborfreight.com/automotive-motorcycle/battery/10-2-55-amp-6-12-volt-battery-charger-engine-starter-66783.html

6/12 Volt Electronic Battery Charger and Maintainer With LCD Display
ITEM # 65834

http://www.harborfreight.com/automotive-motorcycle/battery/6-12-volt-electronic-battery-charger-and-maintainer-with-lcd-display-65834.html

10/2/55 Amp, 6/12 Volt Battery Charger/Engine Starter
ITEM # 66783

http://www.harborfreight.com/automotive-motorcycle/battery/10-2-55-amp-6-12-volt-battery-charger-engine-starter-66783.html

472scout
10-02-2010, 03:38 AM
95 pages now. Way too long to be very practical. Too bad more people aren't posting reviews on the HF website now that it has that feature.

subarub4
10-02-2010, 08:46 AM
I would like to post on the site but each time I do so they never get posted so I don't bother..

wow it seems like the HFT review thread at slickdeals is gone?!?

bchee
10-02-2010, 08:53 AM
I would like to post on the site but each time I do so they never get posted so I don't bother..

why does it not work?:headscrat

Davefr
10-02-2010, 09:30 AM
why does it not work?:headscrat

HF probably screens which reviews they post on their site. To read an honest review you'll need to get one here or at a non HF site.

rayzor32
10-02-2010, 09:35 AM
i couldnt post a review either.

scott37300
10-02-2010, 09:43 AM
95 pages now. Way too long to be very practical. Too bad more people aren't posting reviews on the HF website now that it has that feature.

I use this thread all the time, if you look on the right hand side just above the posts there is a tab labeled "search this thread". Click on that and type in what you are looking for and it will come up with posts in this thread about that tool. Sometimes you have to try a couple different search terms. Also I try to check in here each day or every couple days and will read the new posts in this thread.

Yes it would be nice to have a list of reviews but have to do with what you got! The problem I see with the HF reviews is that you don't know the guy posting(not that you really know the guys on here) but atleast I trust most guys on this site have a decent expectation of thier tools and the guys here know thier tools. Some or all of the posts on the HF site might be from guys that only own a hammer and screwdriver and go buy some neat tool and think it's the greatest thing in the world without ever putting it threw any tests.

rayzor32
10-02-2010, 09:56 AM
we should probably include a part number in all of the reviews that would make it easier to search :thumbup:

Bolster
10-02-2010, 12:20 PM

Welcome to the forum, 472scout. You need to learn to use the search function.

Guys, these suggestions are incorporated into the first post...but nobody reads it. Copy paste:

4) Please post a product number or photo if possible.

Use the blue "Search This Thread" button above to find what you're looking for.

I'm also very suspicious of HF's own website...what motivation does the seller have, to post their own negative reviews? It's not like Amazon where you can buy a competing product from the same source.

subarub4
10-02-2010, 12:49 PM
HF probably screens which reviews they post on their site. To read an honest review you'll need to get one here or at a non HF site.

i couldnt post a review either.

To the both of you I can't remember what my review was about but it was nothing negative at all.

A lot of the stuff I have has no reviews on the site at all but it is here.

I always include the item number so it will come up in the search.

I tested out my 3-in-1 battery jump box this morning on a flat tire.. from 0-35 psi it took 10 min which is just long enough to run the pump before waiting to cool down for another 10 min.

it fills faster then my cheap 12V air pump I had.

Danglerb
10-02-2010, 12:55 PM
HF web site reviews, FAIL ;)

Electricians screwdriver set, PASS. Had some electrical work, and never bought any of the insulated shaft screwdrivers, so I picked up this set for $8 with coupon. I didn't die, and new light switches work. Tips are a black, maybe a coating or something, and appear to be flat ground (flat at tip, curved to outer diameter of shaft). Marked 1000v VDE, medium sized blade fit the switch screws well.
http://www.harborfreight.com/7-piece-electricians-screwdriver-set-97303.html

Bolster
10-02-2010, 01:03 PM
Cool. How does the Phillips #2 bit fit, on those insulated drivers?

Danglerb
10-02-2010, 01:12 PM
Cool. How does the Phillips #2 bit fit, on those insulated drivers?

Nothing special, the tips look/feel kind of funny, sort of like an impact socket surface. 3x Phillips, 4x blade, big blade was too thick, next one smaller fit fine.

bchee
10-02-2010, 03:43 PM
I can understand the suspicion about HF reviews, but I read plenty of negatives on their own site.
Plenty of 1 and 2 star reviews.

Bolster
10-02-2010, 03:57 PM
I can understand the suspicion about HF reviews, but I read plenty of negatives on their own site. Plenty of 1 and 2 star reviews.

Can you tell if the published negatives are exclusive to items of which they sell similar others? Not much harm allowing negatives if you've got something similar you can sell them. (The Amazon Method.)

bchee
10-02-2010, 04:02 PM
Can you tell if the published negatives are exclusive to items of which they sell similar others? Not much harm allowing negatives if you've got something similar you can sell them. (The Amazon Method.)

I'm not sure how to do that but I will keep my eyes open.
How does that sales strategy work?
I assume it makes the "similar" item appear more attractive.

Indy_500
10-02-2010, 05:08 PM

It's a pass but the sound reading level seems to be way off.. in a silent room it's reading like 50 dB.. if I blow into the sound mic it shoots to 100 dB.

Other then that it works right and the autoranging works and cool how the sockets light up if you don't have the correct plugs in if you give the meter to someone that does not know a advance meter.

works great for the big price i paid for it (free)

subarub4
10-02-2010, 05:40 PM
How did you get that free?

Indy_500
10-02-2010, 06:41 PM
How did you get that free?

coupon....

subarub4
10-02-2010, 07:03 PM
Are you sure about that??

I'm talking about this meter

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v77/SubaruWRX/Web%20pictures/meter1.jpg

LEVE
10-02-2010, 08:49 PM
Here's another of my favorite HF Tools:

Chicago Electric Power Tools Industrial 45252: PASS

http://www.harborfreight.com/media/catalog/product/cache/1/image/370x/9df78eab33525d08d6e5fb8d27136e95/i/m/image_1145.jpg (http://www.harborfreight.com/1-2-half-inch-electric-impact-wrench-45252.html)
I've had it for two years, and it works better than my 1/2" Air Impact wrench. The only problem is that I don't like the trigger for forward and reverse. I've learned to live with that.

It was very useful building the garage, driving lag screws, tightening bolts when I was constructing the decks.. and wonderful for removing/installing wheels and springs off my vehicles.

787B
10-02-2010, 10:14 PM
66619 - 800 Watt Gas 2-stroke Generator (http://www.harborfreight.com/engines-generators/gas-engine-generators/800-rated-watts-900-max-watts-portable-generator-66619.html): Preliminary Pass
http://www.harborfreight.com/media/catalog/product/cache/1/small_image/175x/9df78eab33525d08d6e5fb8d27136e95/i/m/image_1879.jpg

I bought it day before the sidewalk sale. It can be had for $64 with a 20% coupon. I gapped the plug, gassed it with fresh premix, and gave it the ol' heave-ho. Started on the fourth pull. Ran it for two hours with a 300 Watt halogen light, then ran it for an hour with an electronic battery charger with a terrible power factor (0.5). Generator held it's voltage right at 115 with the light, but went as high as 134 on just the battery charger (within the charger's range of 135). Frequency was pretty steady from 59-62 Hertz. Overall, seems like and OK generator. I haven't had time to pull the plug yet and see how it looks after three hours of use.

Mike B26
10-02-2010, 10:17 PM
66619 - 800 Watt Gas 2-stroke Generator (http://www.harborfreight.com/engines-generators/gas-engine-generators/800-rated-watts-900-max-watts-portable-generator-66619.html): Preliminary Pass
http://www.harborfreight.com/media/catalog/product/cache/1/small_image/175x/9df78eab33525d08d6e5fb8d27136e95/i/m/image_1879.jpg

I bought it day before the sidewalk sale. It can be had for $64 with a 20% coupon. I gapped the plug, gassed it with fresh premix, and gave it the ol' heave-ho. Started on the fourth pull. Ran it for two hours with a 300 Watt halogen light, then ran it for an hour with an electronic battery charger with a terrible power factor (0.5). Generator held it's voltage right at 115 with the light, but went as high as 134 on just the battery charger (within the charger's range of 135). Frequency was pretty steady from 59-62 Hertz. Overall, seems like and OK generator. I haven't had time to pull the plug yet and see how it looks after three hours of use.

How's the noise level? Will it piss off my neighbors or friends at the race track?

subarub4
10-02-2010, 10:24 PM
How's the noise level? Will it piss off my neighbors or friends at the race track?

From another thread here it's like 92 dB that's pretty loud... don't bring it to a camp site that's for sure..

HF needs to get those Honda clones in stock.. I've seen some on youtube and they are just about as silent as the Honda's

SCscoutguy
10-02-2010, 10:27 PM
Here's another of my favorite HF Tools:

Chicago Electric Power Tools Industrial 45252: PASS

http://www.harborfreight.com/media/catalog/product/cache/1/image/370x/9df78eab33525d08d6e5fb8d27136e95/i/m/image_1145.jpg (http://www.harborfreight.com/1-2-half-inch-electric-impact-wrench-45252.html)
I've had it for two years, and it works better than my 1/2" Air Impact wrench. The only problem is that I don't like the trigger for forward and reverse. I've learned to live with that.

It was very useful building the garage, driving lag screws, tightening bolts when I was constructing the decks.. and wonderful for removing/installing wheels and springs off my vehicles.
This is BY FAR the best HF purchase I have ever made. I have one I have had for 4 years and it was so great I bought another when they were on sale for $34.99 last year. You can not beat this thing for breaking lose old bolts and nuts. It is stronger than my earthquake air impact.

subarub4
10-02-2010, 10:40 PM
I still prefer my 1/2" earthquake

wbclassics
10-02-2010, 11:16 PM

HF website says output is 20amps... however 800W / 120V = 6.66.. amps

bursty
10-02-2010, 11:33 PM
Has anyone tried these cabinets? My local HF didnt have any in stock

http://www.harborfreight.com/hand-tools/cabinets/hanging-tool-cabinet-39213.html

http://www.harborfreight.com/media/catalog/product/cache/1/image/370x/9df78eab33525d08d6e5fb8d27136e95/i/m/image_656.jpg

cdan03
10-03-2010, 12:05 AM
1/2 Torque Wrench- FAIL

I had to torque my flywheel to the crank and my pressure plate to the flywheel. On the pressure plate torque specs were 25 pounds i set it at 25 pounds.. Start to tighten evenly around pressure plate. Keep going... and going and going still no click or flex in torque wrench... So i stopped. I went and checked something that i knew was over 25 pounds to see if toruqe wrench would click still. it did. so i continue to toruqe to come to breaking the bolt. I thought it felt way more than 25 pounds when i was torquing it down and returned it and didn't want another. I go buy a new torque wrench and i was curious to see what my flywheel was torqued down to and it was torqued about 18-19 pounds over what i set it! Clearly the pressure plate was overtorqued. Not do to operator function but the torque wrench failed. It must have been out of calibration. I certainely wouldn't trust this for rebuilding my motor.

Orbital Palm Sander (blue/gray) PASS

This thing is awesome. I have literally used this so much for body work on my car at probably has nearly a hundred hard hours on it in and it still runs like it was new.

Rotary Sander/Polisher (orange) PASS
Works great not as many hours as the other sander but it does have some use on it and it works great

3/8 Deep Sockets (multicolored ones) PASS

Decent product. Don't care for the colors would prefer silver. The color chips off with use. And it doesn't come off very easily but it still works decent.

Sand paper for Palm Sander- Pass
Works great. Life is decent on it.

1 ton cherry picker - Pass

Works great! Pretty solid.

Thats all i can think of now. I will be getting some more stuff in a couple of weeks and i will post after some use on those. I definetly like HF, i can't say i will buy all my tools from their. Sockets and wrenches i wont but i will but impact sockets soon. I want to buy swivel head sockets, screwdrivers not as main set but back up/ stuff i wouldn't want to use nice stuff on, air tools, 41 inch top/bottom tools chest (have already looked at several times and seems way better than craftsman, kobalt, and husky; it is definetly better than stuff at comparable prices and you get stronger, smoother, and more drawers. I would say from what i looked at it compares to top line if not better craftsman and also better than the top kobalt stainless steel tool chest.)

kursplat
10-03-2010, 12:41 AM

http://www.harborfreight.com/hand-tools/cabinets/hanging-tool-cabinet-39213.html

http://www.harborfreight.com/media/catalog/product/cache/1/image/370x/9df78eab33525d08d6e5fb8d27136e95/i/m/image_656.jpg
i got one a couple months ago. seems fine. the shelves will hold more weight than i'll ever put on them. built it, haven't installed it yet. going to mount it on the outside of my garage under the carport, whenever i get IT done :beer:

edit: it's bigger than you'd think just looking at the box

dodge610
10-03-2010, 01:41 AM

I have had one in my workshop for years the shelves hold a lot of weight and i love the cabinet holds way more than i thought it would when i started to organize stuff in my shop so i could find it if i remember correctly got it at the grand opening sale of the new harbor freight closest to me money well spent.:bounce:

Indy_500
10-03-2010, 08:37 PM
Are you sure about that??

I'm talking about this meter

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v77/SubaruWRX/Web%20pictures/meter1.jpg

close to that, mines red and the 4 holes on the bottom are on the side

smokinscott1977
10-03-2010, 10:10 PM
tool cart us general the red one usually 199.00 on sale PASS
impact sockets PASS
cen-tech multi-meter FAIL the leads were junk right from the package
central pnematics gravity feed spray gun "purple" PASS works good for decent paint job expecialy on tractors etc.
sandpaper FAIL
metal bandsaw blades FAIL
9000 lb winch PASS make that a double pass had one mounted on a open car hauler all year in the weather i would replace it one a year under warrenty
pittsburg sockets PASS a guy at work has them never breaks

anodyne33
10-04-2010, 08:53 AM

A quiet room can easily be 50dB. And after looking at the manual, the 100dB limit isn't going to do you a whole lot of good. Furthermore, the manual doesn't show any way to change how the meter is weighted, which makes is not very useful.

472scout
10-04-2010, 09:04 AM
I use this thread all the time, if you look on the right hand side just above the posts there is a tab labeled "search this thread". Click on that and type in what you are looking for and it will come up with posts in this thread about that tool. Sometimes you have to try a couple different search terms. Also I try to check in here each day or every couple days and will read the new posts in this thread.

Yes it would be nice to have a list of reviews but have to do with what you got! The problem I see with the HF reviews is that you don't know the guy posting(not that you really know the guys on here) but atleast I trust most guys on this site have a decent expectation of thier tools and the guys here know thier tools. Some or all of the posts on the HF site might be from guys that only own a hammer and screwdriver and go buy some neat tool and think it's the greatest thing in the world without ever putting it threw any tests.

You definitely have to take reviews with a grain of salt. I pretty much ignore any review that doesn't have specifics. "3/4 inch sockets - PASS" for instance doesn't tell me anything and I see a lot of that in this thread.

The search would be great if people posted the item number.

Steve_P
10-04-2010, 09:25 AM

They do not seem to screen reviews: I've submitted multiple 1 star reviews for crappy items and they are still there. If you look at some of their FRL units they have almost all bad reviews posted

787B
10-04-2010, 10:03 AM

It's not loud, but you know it's running. It's not quiet enough that you could run it all night long in a typical race paddock or neighborhood without irritating somebody. But neither is it as loud as some of those bigger 4-stroke genny's some people run at the track. (All the tracks I go to have power boxes in the paddocks now.)

brrman
10-04-2010, 10:33 AM
Cheapest hand grinder (mine has blue handle): PASS
The switch on the thing is stiff, but other than that it works fine. I bought it when I was in a pinch (left my Bosch out in the rain) on a project and it went strong for 2 years. I killed the HF one as well when I hit some dirt (cutting bricks) and sand hit the motor/brushes. A big series of sparks and it was dead.
http://www.harborfreight.com/media/catalog/product/cache/1/image/370x/9df78eab33525d08d6e5fb8d27136e95/i/m/image_6370.jpg (http://www.harborfreight.com/4-inch-angle-grinder-91222.html)

4 x 8 Folding Utility Trailer (1190 lb cap): PASS
Built like a tank and has worked great for the weekend DIYer for the past couple years. I have hauled over 1200 lbs of retaining wall stone in this thing and it never blinked.
I DID replace the casters since they disintegrated after I folded the trailer a couple.
times. Putting it together takes a long time.
http://www.harborfreight.com/media/catalog/product/cache/1/thumbnail/370x370/9df78eab33525d08d6e5fb8d27136e95/i/m/image_4887.jpg (http://www.harborfreight.com/1195-lb-capacity-48-inch-x-96-inch-heavy-duty-foldable-utility-trailer-with-12-inch-wheels-90154.html)

And as far as this thread getting too large - you can always use the "Search This Thread" function.

Tom2
10-04-2010, 10:50 AM
This thread has been reading my mind lately.. The generator and trailer are both on my soon to buy shopping list.

I wonder if you could run a regular house hold appliance with the generator? i.e the refrigerator, furnace, shallow water pump, etc.. Obviously just one at a time. Just something to be able to run a little bit to keep the food from spoiling, keep the house from freezing, etc.. Probably not rated for it, but wonder if it would run them at all.

Free 5 pc screwdriver coupon was in my Sunday paper this week. Their fine for light use around the house.

wbclassics
10-04-2010, 10:59 AM
I wonder if you could run a regular house hold appliance with the generator? i.e the refrigerator, furnace, shallow water pump, etc.. Obviously just one at a time. Just something to be able to run a little bit to keep the food from spoiling, keep the house from freezing, etc.. Probably not rated for it, but wonder if it would run them at all.

Those were the same thoughts I had. Harbor Freight claims 20A output, which would be enough to run the furnace... BUT my math puts the output at just under 7A (800W / 120V = 6.66A), and that is not enough to run any decent sized appliance like a refrige or furnace. Maybe a sump pump.

787B
10-04-2010, 02:24 PM
Those were the same thoughts I had. Harbor Freight claims 20A output, which would be enough to run the furnace... BUT my math puts the output at just under 7A (800W / 120V = 6.66A), and that is not enough to run any decent sized appliance like a refrige or furnace. Maybe a sump pump.

The "20A" on the website is obviously a mistake. The correct specification is 800 Watts, and that's what it says on the generator itself and in the manual. Neither specifies Amps. Probably just some underling flunky at HF headquarters saw the blank space and figured he'd be real smart by putting something in it he'd seen elsewhere. I've been meaning to look at the breaker on it and see what size it is. I bet it's 7.5 Amps, which would be 900 Watts.

The generator will run anything that draws less than 800 Watts continuous, and less than 900 Watts peak. Your appliances will have what they draw clearly printed on them (unless they came from HF :lol:).

787B
10-04-2010, 02:27 PM
A general reminder to posters in this thread:

Thank you very much for your reviews, but
Posts are useless without part numbers!

Thank you for your cooperation. :thumbup:

Sterff
10-04-2010, 03:23 PM
PASS Jumbo 925 wrench set
http://www.harborfreight.com/media/catalog/product/cache/1/image/9df78eab33525d08d6e5fb8d27136e95/i/m/image_2511.jpg
I needed a 1-7/8" wrench so I went to HF and picked up their "Jumbo Wrench 925" set. I figured if Im only going to use them a few times Id try the Pittsburgh wrenches. Suprisingly they are very nice wrenches and fit the fitting I was working on very tightly. With the 20% off coupon I got them for $32 or so. I would recommend them to anyone that wants large sae wrenches for a non snap-on price. I had to get out a flap disk though when I got home and sand off the "Pittsburgh China" logo though :lol_hitti

http://www.harborfreight.com/6-piece-sae-jumbo-combination-wrench-set-925.html

mrholeshot
10-04-2010, 04:15 PM
Stamp Craftsman on the 2 inch with a part number about 5 up from the 1 5/16 and take it in for replcement

Danglerb
10-04-2010, 04:16 PM
With a little effort I bet you could change CHINA to CHINO.

subarub4
10-04-2010, 09:26 PM
I'm in the richmond area here in VA visiting any issues with 20% printer copies?

Bolster
10-04-2010, 09:29 PM
I was asking the same question earlier about CA and I've not been able to find a single report of someone being turned down for a printer copy yet, even tho the coupon says "no printed copies." So I tried it, and no problems at all. Give it a shot.

RbrtAWhyt
10-04-2010, 09:34 PM

http://www.theospot.net/pictures/misc/francis.jpg (http://www.theospot.net/pictures/misc/francis.jpg)

subarub4
10-04-2010, 09:44 PM
I was asking the same question earlier about CA and I've not been able to find a single report of someone being turned down for a printer copy yet, even tho the coupon says "no printed copies." So I tried it, and no problems at all. Give it a shot.

Yeah Not sure why they would turn them down to.. I know when I use them I'm always walking out with more then one item.. If I don't stop at the one here I will when I get back to NJ.

Joelfke
10-04-2010, 09:48 PM
ive had no issues with any 20% off coupon ive presented, although the workers have started to mark out the barcode for the coupon from like a magazine, which is no big deal i just print out another and they cross off the barcode on that one...:headscrat

Indy_500
10-04-2010, 09:58 PM
I went to get myh $8 off because online the price of the impact wrench i wanted was 39.99 and in store it was 49.99 and i couldnt convince em so i brought the ad in the next day and it was a differetn person working and she had to ask the manager if she was allowed to honor the online price plus 20% off, i got my way without arguing

overall, never been a problem with any 20 percents i've used

subarub4
10-09-2010, 09:23 AM
Sorry for the late updates.. I went to HF once to get the electronic battery charger that was for $39.99 item 65834

6/12 Volt Electronic Battery Charger and Maintainer With LCD Display

It was a super fail.. on the 2nd try something inside blew up and the display no longer worked.. So I drove back (mind you $10 toll for driving back home $20 total) and I picked up item 45005 instead 2/6 Amp, 6/12 Volt Battery Chargerand it works.. I brought back a battery sitting at 0V for 2 years..

Only thing is in the 2 A setting is the float charge still working? I thought it should be an on/off type?

In the 6A setting it goes from charging to not charging but the 2A setting it seems to range from 13.9V to 14V but never dropping below 13.9V

and speaking of that of that hassle driving back to NJ my clutch cable snapped so I was stuck for about 2 hours and taking me 4 hours to get home when it should only take about an hour.

lipadj46
10-09-2010, 09:54 AM

Yeah OK, I did not come here to spoon feed you, pics will do just fine, part numbers are a plus. Oh yeah, seriously lighten up.

lipadj46
10-09-2010, 09:56 AM
I'm in the richmond area here in VA visiting any issues with 20% printer copies?

I print one out every time I visit the store, no problems.

mrholeshot
10-09-2010, 02:31 PM
I print one out every time I visit the store, no problems.

I print mine out before I go, lol

I keep a few on hand and keep a few in the glove box of my vehicles

787B
10-09-2010, 08:22 PM
Yeah OK, I did not come here to spoon feed you, pics will do just fine, part numbers are a plus. Oh yeah, seriously lighten up.

First, it was a joke! You guys need to lighten up. :rolleyes:

Second, the OP asked that pics or parts numbers be posted, and then asked at least one more time. So it's just courtesy to do what he asks, right? Just reiterating in what I thought was a humorous way. Sorry you didn't see the humor. :beer:

subarub4
10-09-2010, 11:17 PM
I post because it's helpful if a link is not given with a post I search with the item number.

xcgates
10-10-2010, 10:36 AM
I had the bottom wrench rack, and ended up throwing it out, the spacing was uneven, and quite a few slots held either way to tight, or way to loose.

GrantCee
10-10-2010, 11:33 AM
I recently bought the top one; the fingers got loose within a few days, and wrenches started falling out. Fail.

Stick Figure
10-10-2010, 11:42 AM
I have the top ones, and use them all the time. Mine haven't loosened up in over a year but it probably will depend on the exact wrench you use them on. I have mine holding my Snap on set. I know i have more than one of those but don't remember where the other one is .... i'm thinking holding a set of non ratcheting gearwrench combos in my home tool cart.... at least 6 months w/ those and nothing is falling out anytime soon.

SCscoutguy
10-10-2010, 11:59 AM
I have had the top one for a few years and they have worked great. They are still tight and hold my wrenches well with constant use. I also have the bottom one and I agree with the poster above that it is total crap.

Indy_500
10-10-2010, 01:44 PM
The top ones were too tight and my wrenches didn't fit, i bought the plastic ones and customized them so the wrenches lay in there instead of holding the wrenches tight to the rack.

Boost Creep
10-10-2010, 02:06 PM
i have the metal ones. since i don't take all my wrenches out at the same time and they're just to keep em organized in the box, i bent all the metal tabs back so they sit loose in them so they are easy to remove. i also bent the handle up so it takes up less room in the box. they do what they're supposed to for my use

Danglerb
10-10-2010, 08:09 PM
Yay or nay on either of these? I have about 5 sets of wrenches and want to compress space in my wrench drawer.

http://www.harborfreight.com/media/catalog/product/cache/1/image/370x/9df78eab33525d08d6e5fb8d27136e95/i/m/image_1404.jpg

http://www.harborfreight.com/media/catalog/product/cache/1/image/370x/9df78eab33525d08d6e5fb8d27136e95/i/m/image_442.jpg

They worked fine for me, but I just didn't care for laying out my wrenches that way.

Infidel
10-11-2010, 12:06 AM
Chrome Moly 10 piece deep impact- PASS.
http://www.harborfreight.com/10-piece-1-2-half-inch-deep-wall-impact-socket-set-95470.html

I bought these about 8 months ago when I was in a hurry to get some impacts for work, and didn't have money for truck brand at the time. I have used them every day and they have held up perfectly so far. The only downside is the laser size markers wear off quickly with heavy use. I use the 17, 19, 21, and 22 for wheels daily. I have beat the crap out of the 19mm with a Snap-on MG725 with no problems at all. It has almost no black oxide left, but the socket is in great shape. They do appear to have some sort of anti-round-off cuts in them and you can see after using them on wheel nuts that they don't beat directly on the corner. The only real damage that I have done is scratch marks down the side of a couple of sockets, where I placed the socket in a vice to beat out a stuck lug nut. I have also used the smaller sizes with great results. These are much higher quality then the cheaper impact sockets at HF. Me and a friend at work were sharing tools, and he picked up a set of SO in 1/2. I actually preferred these for wheels, because they are much thinner, and are less likely to to scratch a wheel. I have only had a few times were they were to thick and they were all on crappy Chinese aftermarket wheels. Another guy in the shop has used these sockets for over a year and has had great luck also. His 19mm is almost to the point were it looks like a chrome socket it's had so much use. It also has dents in it were he has thrown it on the ground to bust a lug nut loose out of the end, but they still function flawlessly. I would suggest these to anyone looking for an entry level set of impact sockets, for home use, or for someone who is removing wheels a lot. The only thing this set is missing is a 10, and 16 to complete it. :)

The Nitrile gloves, and the 36 count boxes of 2in chip brushes are one of the best deals you can get if you are doing fiberglass work. don't buy the latex gloves for fiberglassing though, they will melt. ask me how i know. :lol_hitti

Also the electric bug swatter works as intended so if you leave the door open and about 20 flies get in leave them alone. The buzzing is much more tolerable then the smell after the fireworks.

more reviews to come.

lodemia
10-11-2010, 06:50 AM
Yay or nay on either of these? I have about 5 sets of wrenches and want to compress space in my wrench drawer.

http://www.harborfreight.com/media/catalog/product/cache/1/image/370x/9df78eab33525d08d6e5fb8d27136e95/i/m/image_1404.jpg

http://www.harborfreight.com/media/catalog/product/cache/1/image/370x/9df78eab33525d08d6e5fb8d27136e95/i/m/image_442.jpg

Tried the bottom one, second or third time I removed a wrench, it broke. The plastic was just too stiff and brittle. Replaced it with Ernst, and I am pleased that I did.

meissen
10-11-2010, 10:28 AM
I have three that I can finally contribute to the thread. I don't have years of use, only a few uses each, but thus far I'm very happy with the functionality. I'll update this post should my opinion ever change.

HF 2 ton low profile jack - PASS
I tried to find the part # or link on Harbor Freight's website but it doesn't seem to be listed anymore? My fiance bought it for my birthday for ~$80. It's orange and only needs like 2.5" clearance but goes up quite a bit. I've used it to jack my car up quite a few times already and it works flawlessly. It does take a bit of muscle to push the handle down but it lifts the car quickly. It's big, heavy, and steel and it seems like a well built floor jack.

2HP, 8 Gallon, 115 PSI Portable Air Compressor (Oil) - PASS
Works great so far - I've only used it for one weekend. My only qualm with it is that the instructions for filling the oil level specifically shows 32oz so I thought that it was telling me how much it needs. I bought 3 bottles of 16oz air compressor oil. I started pouring the first bottle slowly but seeing no change to the oil level I figured "Well, the diagram said 32oz..." so I dumped the rest of the bottle in only to watch in frustration as the oil level went right past the full line. :? Had to drain all the excess oil back out. Since we all know their products are cheap Chinese stuff, I got a 2 year warranty on it just in case.
http://www.harborfreight.com/air-tools/oil-compressors/2-hp-8-gallon-115-psi-portable-air-compressor-95386.html

18 Gauge 2-in-1 Nailer/Stapler - PASS
I bought this with the compressor and used it for about 5 hours last night. It took me awhile to figure out how to load the nails - I'm a newb to air tools. Worked flawlessly. I made sure the tool was properly oiled as directed. I built a couple cabinets last night and the tool worked great and I actually found the nailer to be more accurate than the rented nailer I was using from Home Depot.
http://www.harborfreight.com/air-tools/nailers-staplers/18-gauge-2-in-1-nailer-stapler-97524.html

alberto
10-11-2010, 11:09 AM
Aluminum Foldable Step Stool: item 66911 (url would'nt show for some reason);[/url] $24 on sale with 20% coupon

Well built, safety locks. Gets a pass with flying colors.

Steve_P
10-11-2010, 12:24 PM

I've had several of the metal ones for a long time; they work fine for me.

southernfriedcj
10-11-2010, 06:02 PM
PASS - 1/2" 25" breaker bar - jumped on it many times, hasnt broken, bent, etc

I give this one a PASS as well. Best $9.59 (with coupon) I've spent. I had to take off 32 lug nuts this weekend that my impact couldn't loosen. I put the breaker on them, stood on the end on the handle and jumped up an down. Very little flex and no bending. Worked well.

http://www.harborfreight.com/1-2-half-inch-drive-25-inch-breaker-bar-30395.html

Theloniousmonk
10-11-2010, 06:19 PM
BOTH the 1/2" and 3/8" long breakers are a pleasure to use daily.

Steve_P
10-11-2010, 09:08 PM
I give this one a PASS as well. Best $9.59 (with coupon) I've spent. I had to take off 32 lug nuts this weekend that my impact couldn't loosen. I put the breaker on them, stood on the end on the handle and jumped up an down. Very little flex and no bending. Worked well.

http://www.harborfreight.com/1-2-half-inch-drive-25-inch-breaker-bar-30395.html

yeah, the 1/2 breaker bar is great. I used it to set up a ring and pinion and when tightening the pinion nut and crushing the crush sleeve there was quite a bit of deflection, and I was nervous, but it worked fine and nothing broke. I would bet it took 400+ lb-ft torque so it's definitely beyond what you should be using a 1/2 bar for. I am in the market for a reasonably priced long handle 3/4 after that.

usmc_noma
10-12-2010, 12:01 AM
Aluminum Foldable Step Stool: item 66911 (url would'nt show for some reason);[/url] $24 on sale with 20% coupon

Well built, safety locks. Gets a pass with flying colors.

Not to go against the HF stool, but Northern Tool has the same type for $20. I bought mine there and have used it numerous times, mostly to paint the interior of my home.

scott37300
10-12-2010, 12:51 AM
Not to go against the HF stool, but Northern Tool has the same type for $20. I bought mine there and have used it numerous times, mostly to paint the interior of my home.

I bought one from lowes http://www.lowes.com/pl_Scaffolding+and+Systems_4294858114_4294937087_? cm_cr=Ladders+and+Scaffolding-_-Web+Activity-_-Ladders+A1+Activity+10.06.10-_-SC_Ladders++Scaffolding_Area1-_-19611_5. It used to go on sale all the time, think I got it for 25 bucks.

rayzor32
10-12-2010, 08:34 PM
http://www.harborfreight.com/22-oz-solid-steel-framing-hammer-38383.html

22oz all steel framing hammer: FAIL, as a HAMMER it was a PASS. But every time you hit a nail with it it would emit a long loud RINGING! Like the claw end was acting like a tuning fork, I couldn't stand it and took it back I'll spend the extra dough for an eastwing.

http://www.harborfreight.com/professional-windshield-removal-kit-96339.html

I just bought this today after piano wire and a knife failed to do the job, will let you know if it works or not.

LEVE
10-12-2010, 10:14 PM
I had a 16 year old foldable 2 ton engine hoist from Northern Tool collapse while lifting my Caravan... the hoist was toast.... totally my fault. But it was time for a replacement. I purchased one from HF:

http://www.harborfreight.com/media/catalog/product/cache/1/image/9df78eab33525d08d6e5fb8d27136e95/i/m/image_369.jpg (http://www.harborfreight.com/2-ton-foldable-shop-crane-35915.html)

I've used it with the NT Load Leveler for about a year and it's never let me down (pardon the pun). For the money it was a good buy. Now it sits folded up against one wall waiting to be used; it's good to have in the garage.

Bolster
10-13-2010, 06:51 PM
WARNING:

I notice these new silver "junk" calipers are on sale for .87 cents each.

http://www.harborfreight.com/8-caliper-with-extra-large-lcd-readout.html

I wonder if they're blowing them out and replacing them with something that works.

OH BY THE WAY, no negative reviews of this item on the HF website. Makes you a little suspicious they monitor and censor negative reviews, doesn't it?

southernfriedcj
10-13-2010, 09:47 PM
http://www.harborfreight.com/professional-windshield-removal-kit-96339.html

I just bought this today after piano wire and a knife failed to do the job, will let you know if it works or not.

I've always used one of those coarse ribbed (for lack of a better term) guitar strings. Saws right through the windshield puddy.

back2class
10-14-2010, 12:10 AM
Roto head ratchet. You kow the one. Nice chrome Tiawan made with plastic grip. TOTAL POS. Used it today for the first time. Plastic handle started spinning on the steel shaft. Pulled it off and there is nothing really there from keeping it from doing that. When you stick a plastic handle on a smoothe round shaft how the hell is it gona stay on? Who needs a ratchet that the grip spina loose on. This is not just a bad one, it is a major design flaw. Seems pretty nice otherwise

emeraldcoupe
10-18-2010, 10:07 AM
anyone used the work stands they sell? they have 200 and 500lb ratings

http://www.harborfreight.com/garage-shop/workbench/500-lb-capacity-portable-workstand-38779.html

jam0o0
10-18-2010, 11:38 AM
had all of this stuff for over a year. some for three times that.

screw drivers - PASS - black, 4 sided handles. i have them in my trail truck and they work great out there were every fastener is rusty or dirty.

jack stands
- 6 ton and 12 ton - PASS - they are a little wobbly. but they hold up to my 6 and 8k lb trucks
- 3 ton - FAIL - the tops are shaped too much to work on the pinch weld on my family's smaller cars. they work fine but leave dents in the floor boards.

angle grinders(4" orange) - PASS - i get one for each of my attachments (grinder, cutting wheel, flap disk, twisted wire cup brush) and they hold up great. not as powerful as my old makita. had them for years now.

creeper - red with pivoting headrest - MARGINAL - i have to tighten the allen bolts holding the wheels on every month. the padding is mostly flat/gone after a year. the wheels pick up grinder dust and kitty litter. it still works and will work for moving furniture in a pinch. i love that i don't have to worry about using it wile welding.

2ton folding engine hoist - PASS - used it for a wile. lifts everything within the listed capacity. takes two people to role on carpet. as usual for HF some of the welds are questionable.

12 and 20 ton press, orange - PASS - they both could use better return springs. but even without that they work. have heard some stories of the cast press plate cracking energetically. some questionable welds, but no problems or cracking visible.

20 lb pressurized tank sand blaster - FAIL - valves all failed after one use wheels and handles very poorly made. can't actually fill it up or else it just clogs and you have to get all the sand out. uses WAY more air than what it's listed to use. maybe my compressor couldn't keep up but it doesn't even blast well. comes with hood that un-sews itself in a few hours.

14" chop saw blades - FAIL - deflect and don't cut square

air quick couplers - FAIL - last a good few months. then leak. they are a huge waste of air in my system now.

silver and demming 1/2-1" drill bit set (in the wooden box) - FAIL - the tips are all hand ground by a monkey. none of the tips are centered. they mostly don't cut hole the right size. after fixing some of the smaller sizes with my drill dr. they are awesome.

big furniture dolly - PASS - i've moved way over the listed capacity with a few of these and they still roll easy. despite use in terrible conditions. add some 2x12's and they double as a creeper.

Homoudont
10-18-2010, 12:35 PM
jack stands
- 6 ton and 12 ton - PASS - they are a little wobbly. but they hold up to my 6 and 8k lb trucks
- 3 ton - FAIL - the tops are shaped too much to work on the pinch weld on my family's smaller cars. they work fine but leave dents in the floor boards.

Maybe I am wrong, but I've never put a jack stand under a floorboard. I've never been trained, but I've always put it under the frame of the vehicle. Am I the only one to do this?

cherokee140
10-18-2010, 12:40 PM
Maybe I am wrong, but I've never put a jack stand under a floorboard. I've never been trained, but I've always put it under the frame of the vehicle. Am I the only one to do this?

Never put a jack stand under the floor board. Very thin there.

fxt
10-18-2010, 01:52 PM

bwahahhahahahahaahhah :lol_hitti

i needed that

Scotto
10-18-2010, 02:34 PM

I've ran into the same deal. I'm thinking about filling in the top a bit because I've had this happen on a few cars.

subarub4
10-18-2010, 06:23 PM
For the jack stands you need to buy the jack covers so it wont pinch.

rayzor32
10-18-2010, 08:08 PM
:lol_hitti you put a jackstand under a floorboard wtf put it under the sub frame

787B
10-18-2010, 08:46 PM
Thanks, I bet that was the problem. I thought it would blast like a normal sandblaster gun. I deleted my thread since it appears to be "operator error".
(The clamp cutting the bag is still unacceptable.)

I deleted my post. So you delete both of yours and it will be like it never happened. :bounce:

787B
10-18-2010, 08:54 PM
For the jack stands you need to buy the jack covers so it wont pinch.
Yep.
Part # 95952, 2 Piece Rubber Pads for Jack Stand (http://www.harborfreight.com/2-piece-rubber-pads-for-jack-stand-95952.html) - PASS.
They do a good job of protecting frames and pinch welds, but still might be too deep for some cars. I've used them on non-HF jack stands too with success. They deform without cracking or breaking.

you put a jackstand under a floorboard wtf put it under the sub frame

Nope. Read more carefully: He put it on a pinch weld, but the center cavity is too deep so it dented the adjacent floor pan.

rayzor32
10-18-2010, 08:58 PM
then dont put on the pinch weld put it on the subframe

quick86
10-19-2010, 09:43 AM
http://www.harborfreight.com/power-tools/polishers/7-inch-variable-speed-polisher-sander-92623.html

http://www.harborfreight.com/media/catalog/product/cache/1/image/370x/9df78eab33525d08d6e5fb8d27136e95/i/m/image_2513.jpg

This thing is awesome. Variable speed. Works great on polishing cars. :) But I do use pads other than the HF ones.

jeffk14
10-19-2010, 10:51 AM
then dont put on the pinch weld put it on the subframe
That's what I've always done. On newer FWD cars, I put a piece of 2X4 on the jack pad and jack on that formed channel (subframe?) that is part of what I call the "unibody". My terms may be all wrong here.

jam0o0
10-19-2010, 10:51 AM
on our cars

bmw z3 coupe
mazda protege 5
mazda miata
nissan 370z

ALL of the owners manuals tell you to use the pinch welds for jacking. and i will continue to do so after denting the sub frame on the protege with a harbor freight jack stand. i have never used the floor board to support a vehicle. thanks 787b for clarifying. i'm back to using the 30 yr old jack stands on the pinch welds for the cars. the harbor fright big stands only get used for my trucks and trailers.

spartyon8
10-19-2010, 09:04 PM
http://www.harborfreight.com/power-tools/polishers/7-inch-variable-speed-polisher-sander-92623.html

http://www.harborfreight.com/media/catalog/product/cache/1/image/370x/9df78eab33525d08d6e5fb8d27136e95/i/m/image_2513.jpg

This thing is awesome. Variable speed. Works great on polishing cars. :) But I do use pads other than the HF ones.

I give this a pass as well. I use the meguiar 8" pad with the HF velcro plate.

subarub4
10-19-2010, 10:22 PM
I found this link saying the black friday sales for HF have been leaked?

http://www.supplychaindigital.com/industry-focus/supply-chain/harbor-freights-2010-black-friday-deals-are-first-leaked-season

lipadj46
10-19-2010, 10:58 PM
I see the IR thermometer is going to be $20. I will be picking one up for that.

stereobbq
10-20-2010, 12:49 AM
2 ton engine hoist/floor crane - pass, not bad actually for home use
leveler bar 2 ton - pass-ish, works okay but again is just okay for home use, there are a few issues with it, the fact that the handle came loose as i cranked was annoying me. and i haven't used to to level large engines, hard to imagine trying to do so with this.
engine stand - fail, the quality of the handle is terrible and dangerous although i have survived using it in the past
small magnetic pickup thing - fail
tire inflator attachment for air compressor with built in gauge - FAIL, this is the epitome of bad HF quality. gauge is inaccurate. hose became brittle and cracked/leaked after 6 months of use. terrible.
cheapo tire gauge - FAIL, as good of quality as a 25 cent vending machine toy. plain doesn't work and tries to come apart. what is this a joke.

i haven't bought anything at HF in years lol. i've learned my lesson.

Tom2
10-20-2010, 10:43 AM
I found this link saying the black friday sales for HF have been leaked?

http://www.supplychaindigital.com/industry-focus/supply-chain/harbor-freights-2010-black-friday-deals-are-first-leaked-season

I think they have that ad in the store already. They usually have new coupons available way before they're usable. Nothing really great caught my attention.

Racr350
10-20-2010, 10:20 PM
I see the IR thermometer is going to be $20. I will be picking one up for that.

You won't regret it..super efficient and incredibly accurate for the price.

Shadowdog500
10-22-2010, 08:27 AM
My neighbor bought the 90 amp 110V, Flux Core MIG welder yesterday with a coupon for $89 and brought it over my shop last night to practice.

It is no Lincoln but for $89 it seems to be one hell of a welder. The flux core seems to have more splatter that a regular MIG welder but that cleans up no problem and the welds look good and are strong.

Chris

http://www.harborfreight.com/media/catalog/product/cache/1/image/370x/9df78eab33525d08d6e5fb8d27136e95/i/m/image_4198.jpg

lipadj46
10-22-2010, 08:34 AM
My neighbor bought the 90 amp 110V, Flux Core MIG welder yesterday with a coupon for $89 and brought it over my shop last night to practice.

It is no Lincoln but for $89 it seems to be one hell of a welder. The flux core seems to have more splatter that a regular MIG welder but that cleans up no problem and the welds look good and are strong.

Chris

http://www.harborfreight.com/media/catalog/product/cache/1/image/370x/9df78eab33525d08d6e5fb8d27136e95/i/m/image_4198.jpg

Nice to hear, I was thinking about getting a cheap 110v welder to learn on.

Tom2
10-22-2010, 09:31 AM
I've heard they're pretty darn good, but the flux core that comes with them sucks and splatters badly. Switching it out with some Lincoln from Lowes supposedly makes a huge difference. Waiting till I have a good excuse for a welder, and I'll probably pick it up as well.

Indy_500
10-22-2010, 06:34 PM
anybody have the arc from HF?

rayzor32
10-22-2010, 10:37 PM
I have it its not a bad little welder, the wire sucks and the duty cycle sucks but if you add an extra fan to it and get lincoln wire that little welder is great.

Shadowdog500
10-23-2010, 12:12 AM
I picked up a spool of .030 Lincoln flux core wire while at Lowes today and asked my neighbor to come over again tonight. Wow, what a difference. The splatter problem practically disappeared and the welds came out beautiful and had much more penetration.

Chris

Bo Heck
10-23-2010, 10:45 AM
Well thats great to here, is there an even better wire available? I thought I saw someone on this forum badmouthing the lincoln wire.

lipadj46
10-23-2010, 11:19 AM
Well thats great to here, is there an even better wire available? I thought I saw someone on this forum badmouthing the lincoln wire.

I think with all the people in this forum you can find mostly all products are bad mouthed now and again.

Tom2
10-24-2010, 06:56 PM
Well, I went ahead and bought the welder last night.

Had to weld an O2 bung onto my cat converter. Found that was as good excuse as any.

Also bought the .030 Lincoln flux wire.

The weld is incredibly ugly (it would make you cry!), but it'll hold. Been years since I last welded, and I've never welded with flux core. The splatter was way more than I expected. Penetration seemed fine. Welder should work good for some basic light welding here and there. Pretty much all I need it for. Bought the warranty with it just in case..

Also got the blue flame auto dark helmet. Works very well.

Oh, and also got the 3000lb aluminum racing jack. Haven't used it much, but is pretty light and rolls around easy. Also got the warranty with it - since the old jack it's replacing was only a couple years old and already leaking (from Sears).

Romanova
10-28-2010, 05:08 PM
http://www.harborfreight.com/media/catalog/product/cache/1/image/370x/9df78eab33525d08d6e5fb8d27136e95/i/m/image_2833.jpg

Bearing puller... pass. Worked great for pulling off the rear bearings for the Galant VR-4, which were very rusty after spending most of it's life up north. Not bad for $50 after 20% off coupon.

anodyne33
10-28-2010, 05:18 PM
I finally bent the frame on my 3 in 1 ball joint / U joint press.

(trying to press a bottom out the wrong way)

Me = FAIL

Danglerb
10-28-2010, 05:21 PM
This post says the wire HF sells on the shelf is actually better than the Lincoln wire they bought at Lowes. Sourced in Italy I think.

http://www.garagejournal.com/forum/showthread.php?p=1095992&highlight=italian#post1095992

rayzor32
10-28-2010, 05:34 PM
yeah it is from italy and its 30 bucks! pretty expensive it definetly isn't the same wire that comes with the welder. As said before the wire that comes with the welder stinks, the lincoln wire has alot less spatter.

scott37300
10-28-2010, 05:35 PM
I finally bent the frame on my 3 in 1 ball joint / U joint press.

(trying to press a bottom out the wrong way)

Me = FAIL

So is this a decent press if you don't use it backwards? Would you buy another one? And do they warranty this, is it considered a handtool?

I was looking at getting one of them and heard they were pretty decent for the price.

Tom2
10-28-2010, 05:42 PM
yeah it is from italy and its 30 bucks! pretty expensive it definetly isn't the same wire that comes with the welder. As said before the wire that comes with the welder stinks, the lincoln wire has alot less spatter.

Good to know! Maybe I'll buy it there next time. $30 is alot, but wire lasts pretty long for most people - and if it makes less of a mess, I'll pay it.

340six
10-28-2010, 06:54 PM
I didn't know they sold urethane jack pads. Maybe I can stomach going in there and pick one up for my jack. :bounce:

I need one of those I have the jack stand ones:thumbup: being an old thread I wonder if they still have them?
The aluiminum Floor Jack is 4+ years old and still works:bowdown:

Danglerb
10-28-2010, 06:59 PM
Good to know! Maybe I'll buy it there next time. $30 is alot, but wire lasts pretty long for most people - and if it makes less of a mess, I'll pay it.

Don't forget the 20% off coupon.

Pretty sure the jack stand and jack pads are the same ones sold by most places.

Ball joint press should be lifetime warranty, no need to "buy" another.

lipadj46
10-28-2010, 07:00 PM
I need one of those I have the jack stand ones:thumbup: being an old thread I wonder if they still have them?
The aluiminum Floor Jack is 4+ years old and still works:bowdown:

They are $8 I think.

pmohr
10-28-2010, 08:02 PM
Don't forget the 20% off coupon.

Pretty sure the jack stand and jack pads are the same ones sold by most places.

Ball joint press should be lifetime warranty, no need to "buy" another.

Lifetime warranty is only on hand tools, not the specialty tools they have. Wouldn't warranty out the forcing screw on my wheel bearing kit a while back.