View Full Version : Homak Tool Chests.

r6_cannibal
01-25-2009, 03:48 PM
Was looking around online at different roll aways and saw this...
http://www.amazon.com/BK04011410-41-Inch-11-Drawer-Roller-Cabinet/dp/B000XJUFEO/ref=sr_1_24?ie=UTF8&s=hi&qid=1232919109&sr=1-24
the price seems too good to be true, which it probably is, but I was curious if anyone has had any experience with these or even knows how deep the drawers are. I'm guessing these will be on par with the HF Western General boxes, or whatever that brand is called.
Thanks!

Merkava_4
01-25-2009, 04:07 PM
They had some Homak boxes at Costco about 15 years ago; long before Costco started getting in the imported boxes. Very well made at the time. Good quality with sheet metal that feels twice as thick as the typical Craftsman box.

ImportTuner
01-25-2009, 04:16 PM
They had some Homak boxes at Costco about 15 years ago; long before Costco started getting in the imported boxes. Very well made at the time. Good quality with sheet metal that feels twice as thick as the typical Craftsman box.

The recent Homak boxes are not the same; sheet metal is now thinner than the current Craftsman counterpart .. :(

r6_cannibal
01-25-2009, 05:55 PM
That's too bad. They look like nice boxes online, I need to find one locally to see how they feel. Might be a good compromise still, but it doesn't seem like it'll be worth it.
it seems like very little is ever as good as it was :P

Uncle Buck
01-25-2009, 06:22 PM
I have never seen a Homak product I would care to drag home.

krusty the clown
01-25-2009, 06:45 PM
they have some homak toolboxes at the local farm supply store........i'd pass.

tatra
01-25-2009, 06:56 PM
i've made tinfoil hats that were stronger than any homak boxes i have ever seen.........and costco in canada is selling a similar stlye with hardwood top, pegboard sides[ metal] and latch type drawers safties for about the same price cdn. so should be cheaper in the`states

Chris Adams
01-25-2009, 07:05 PM
The older Homak (despite comments from people who never saw one) was MUCH heavier than it's contemporary Craftsman. I had a couple, top and bottom. The top chests were deeper at 14 inches than the standard Craftsman and almost 25 percent heavier. Much heavier gauge steel.

I have NO information on the newer ones, but I would say find one and look at if you can.
Still, probably not that good a deal as if they have gotten lighter, say down to the level of Craftsman, then this wouldn't be a good deal. The heavy Husky prices cheaper and you can get it at HD.

krusty the clown
01-25-2009, 07:09 PM
all of the comments have been comparing current products :headscrat

and merkava stated that 15 years ago there were good...........

and i stated that i looked at one...........

:confused::confused::confused::confused::confused:

tatra
01-25-2009, 07:10 PM
well , he is asking about a new box and true i haven't seen any older ones i considered worthy of my dollar , anything in the last 10 years that i have seen have been an embarassement ..........keep in mind in can., we probably get a very limited exposure to the entire line.........seeing in person is the true test..............

fatfillup
01-25-2009, 07:25 PM
I recently got a Homak top box in a large purchase. I was suprised as how heavy it was (110 lbs wieghed it), but the quality was not great but better than some. Some of the drawers were a little droopy and I was able to bend them back by hand. Probably won't take a lot of wieght. Would be ok for a light duty home box. If anyone is interested, I sell it for $75.

Coach James
01-25-2009, 07:26 PM
I saw a couple Homak boxes at the Cummins traveling tool show last year. They were really flimsy and thin, drawers were loose etc. Some of it might have been due to how they were assembled, but regardless, the metal was way thinner than my C-man homeowner boxes.

Coach

Shocker
01-27-2009, 02:11 AM
I have one of the older Homak boxes from Costco. My wife bought it for me about 12 years ago. Friction slides. I added a middle top box also from Costco. Still working great. Full of tools. The friction slides are a little gummy, but that is my fault.

Great box IMO.

eschoendorff
01-27-2009, 04:45 AM
I have never seen a Homak product I would care to drag home.

Roger that. :beer: