To avoid these ads, REGISTER NOW!

New Britain Deal

Bull

Super Moderator
Joined
Dec 12, 2005
Messages
16,189
Location
MA
Finally, an eBay deal after missing out on an awesome ratchet lot this morning b/c of my own carelessness about when the auction ended. :mad:

Just picked up a 3/8" New Britain flex head, about 10.5" long, for $13 shipped :)

100_3458.jpg


100_3459.jpg


100_3461.jpg


100_3464.jpg
 
To avoid these ads, REGISTER NOW!

Fedwrench

ALLIANCE MEMBER
Joined
Dec 9, 2007
Messages
14,981
Location
Valley of the sun
I had one of those ratchets when I was a kid and tools and cars were simpler. It's a good ratchet. I got it at a Napa store. It's nothing fancy but, just does its job well:thumbup:
 
Last edited:
OP
B

Bull

Super Moderator
Joined
Dec 12, 2005
Messages
16,189
Location
MA
All good to hear! I'm not a fancy guy...I drink Miller High Life and like Firebirds.

I have recently been bitten HARD by the ratchet bug, and am enjoying the hunt, the acquisition, the cleaning, and the using of these things.

I'm keeping my eye out for the less loved brands i.e. not the big boys from the tool trucks that everyone fights over. That way, I can scoop them up for small money :thumbup:
 

krusty the clown

Member Emeritus
Joined
Nov 18, 2007
Messages
7,535
Location
niangua, mo
All good to hear! I'm not a fancy guy...I drink Miller High Life and like Firebirds.

I have recently been bitten HARD by the ratchet bug, and am enjoying the hunt, the acquisition, the cleaning, and the using of these things.

I'm keeping my eye out for the less loved brands i.e. not the big boys from the tool trucks that everyone fights over. That way, I can scoop them up for small money :thumbup:

well new brittan is kind of a truck brand.........both MAC and MATCO had nb relabels
 

64merc

Well-known member
Joined
Jan 24, 2008
Messages
2,816
Location
Texas
Very nicely done Bull!!

$13 bucks shipped was a good deal. I really like those ratchets too.
 
OP
B

Bull

Super Moderator
Joined
Dec 12, 2005
Messages
16,189
Location
MA
Wow, with those profit margins, I could really make a killing!:lol_hitti
 

speed bump

Well-known member
Joined
May 28, 2008
Messages
6,317
Location
Butte Montana
I'll offer you $20 for it. I have that ratchet (well the Mac X9R) and its my favorite ratchet as it has a long handle and just a little bit of flex for fitting it into tight locations. Also the action is super smooth.
 
OP
B

Bull

Super Moderator
Joined
Dec 12, 2005
Messages
16,189
Location
MA
Well, let me at least get it home and play with it first...I just won the auction tonight. I am trying to build up a ratchet collection since this site has infected me with the ratchet virus. Seriously, I have become obsessed.

I have never owned a ratchet with a flex head, so I can't really envision a situation in which the feature would be useful. I'm not good with the abstract, I guess. Speed Bump, can you give me a specific automotive example of where the design has been useful to you?
 
To avoid these ads, REGISTER NOW!

speed bump

Well-known member
Joined
May 28, 2008
Messages
6,317
Location
Butte Montana
I have never owned a ratchet with a flex head, so I can't really envision a situation in which the feature would be useful. I'm not good with the abstract, I guess. Speed Bump, can you give me a specific automotive example of where the design has been useful to you?

Almost anywhere where a ratchet diesn't quite fit right. It only flexes 45° each way so you have just enought flex to make the ratchet fit into somewhere easier without having to much flex. This ratchet isn't something you have to have although it does make your life much easier. As far as situations I can't think of any specific ones, I couldn't even really think of a use for it when I bought it other than adding to my NB ratchet collection. Generally I just use it to get to stuff a little bit easier and protect my hands by moving them to a better location.
 
OP
B

Bull

Super Moderator
Joined
Dec 12, 2005
Messages
16,189
Location
MA
Well, I am always busting my knuckles on some awkwardly placed GM bolt, so maybe I can find out how this design is supposed to help. I'm a hands-on learner, apparently.
 

Diesel-Mech

Well-known member
Joined
Jul 20, 2008
Messages
1,939
Location
Kansas
Having a flex head will give you a whole new outlook on using a ratchet, I use one 90% of the time now. Good looking NB too.:thumbup:
 
OP
B

Bull

Super Moderator
Joined
Dec 12, 2005
Messages
16,189
Location
MA
That ratchet just screams S*K to me... NB is an neat old brand though...

Did SK ever produce for NB? I didn't notice any mention of that on the alloy-artifacts website, but it was late and I might not have read every word.
 
Last edited:

LoneGunman

Well-known member
Joined
Mar 27, 2007
Messages
2,081
Location
The Gunshine state
"Finally, an eBay deal after missing out on an awesome ratchet lot this morning b/c of my own carelessness about when the auction ended."

Get JBidwatcher and never worry about missing another auction, it's free and works, of course you'll piss off the antisniping crowd but oh well.
 

riley.m

Well-known member
Joined
Dec 10, 2008
Messages
348
Location
Port Townsend Wa.
"Finally, an eBay deal after missing out on an awesome ratchet lot this morning b/c of my own carelessness about when the auction ended."

Get JBidwatcher and never worry about missing another auction, it's free and works, of course you'll piss off the antisniping crowd but oh well.

wow that is a handy download.
 

Fedwrench

ALLIANCE MEMBER
Joined
Dec 9, 2007
Messages
14,981
Location
Valley of the sun
I don't see the SK likeness but, I always thought old New Britian ratchets looked like old Blackhawk ratchets. That's probably just me though.
 

krusty the clown

Member Emeritus
Joined
Nov 18, 2007
Messages
7,535
Location
niangua, mo
I don't see the SK likeness but, I always thought old New Britian ratchets looked like old Blackhawk ratchets. That's probably just me though.


new brittan owned the blackhawk brand for many years so it's not just you :thumbup:


from alloy artifacts..........

In the early 1950s Blackhawk Manufacturing (or at least the hand tools division) was acquired by the New Britain Machine Company, and Blackhawk became a managed brand within a larger company. Although we haven't found the precise date for the change, there is reasonable evidence that the acquisition had been completed by late 1952. The 1953 Blackhawk catalog W-101 (with some copies printed in December of 1952) is markedly different from the previous W-51 catalog. In particular, catalog W-101 offers many new types of tools not previously listed by Blackhawk, including gear pullers, auto-body hammers, and even soldering irons. In addition, the model numbers and style of the box wrenches had been changed, suggesting a new manufacturer.

Blackhawk as a division of New Britain became more of a full-line supplier of automotive service tools, rather than a sockets-and-wrenches specialist. Most of the older Blackhawk socket wrench line remained in production for some time, but gradually some of the more distinctive products were dropped. In particular, Lock-On tools in 1/2-drive and all 7/16-drive tools had been discontinued by 1963.

Eventually New Britain Machine folded, and its assets (including the Blackhawk and Husky trademarks) were acquired by The Stanley Works. Stanley today continues to use the Blackhawk name for one of its product lines
 
Last edited:

LoneGunman

Well-known member
Joined
Mar 27, 2007
Messages
2,081
Location
The Gunshine state
wow that is a handy download.

Yup, a lot of people freak out when you have to enter your Ebay password, obviously it could be being sent out to whomever wrote the software but I have been using it for over a year, I also checked what others have said about it, I could not find anything negative. Of course your Ebay PW has to be entered, that's how it bids for you.

When you decide to try it out try setting the "snipe" time around 3-5 seconds if you have broadband. I posted the two links below so you can see what time the bids are going in. Whats also nice is you do not need to be there, as long as you leave the computer on you are good to go.

My last two "snipes"

http://offer.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ViewBids&item=160308174850


http://offer.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewBids&item=320331257682
 
Last edited:
To avoid these ads, REGISTER NOW!
Top Bottom