View Full Version : Westline wrenches

fatfillup
01-29-2009, 09:32 AM
Saw some old double open end wrenches at the flea market, brand was Westline. US made. Are they anything special or just another old wrench. Could have got them cheap but passed.

MAD
01-29-2009, 09:56 AM
The Westline wrenches in this ebay link were made by Durro/Indestro. That is as much as I know.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Vintage-Set-of-Five-WESTLINE-Combination-Wrenches_W0QQitemZ290291905216QQcmdZViewItemQQimsx Z20090126?IMSfp=TL0901261510008r4174

The only Westline branded tool I have owned was a single 1/2" drive 7/8" or 15/16" socket. I got it in a box of tools at a yard sale. I cracked it while helping a neighbor with his tractor. After that, I cracked a MAC socket on the same bolt, so I guess I really can't blame the tool.

64merc
01-29-2009, 10:25 AM
I'm sure they were good old tools, but I don't think they would have been anything special, especially if you didn't have an urgent need for them.

MOPARHOUND!
01-29-2009, 10:27 AM
I've heard they were once part of Western Autos line of tool offerings, have not verified though. Have a Westline offset box end wrench around here somewhere.

philw
01-29-2009, 10:32 AM
Good US made wrench. I believe Westline is a Western Auto brand. Western Auto used Westline, Westcraft, and Wizard that I know of.
All of the Westline wrenches I have seen have been late 1930's-1940's models.
As MAD stated previously, Duro was a supplier. Western Auto used other suppliers also so it could be another brand such as Herbrand.

Scooterfish
01-29-2009, 10:56 AM
I have a Wizard stubby box end wrench marked with D made by Duro sold through Western Auto

goodfellow
01-29-2009, 11:00 AM
I had forgotton about that line of tools, because Western Auto didn't have a big presence in these parts. However, I find it interesting that whenever SEARS has purchased a major retailer (as was the case with Western Auto), within a few years that retailer goes bankrupt or gets dismantled and sold into oblivion.

What a management model.

Uncle Buck
01-29-2009, 11:03 AM
Pass on them, not worth hauling home.

krusty the clown
01-29-2009, 11:04 AM
Pass on them, not worth hauling home.

that would depend on how cheap and how much of a tool freak you are :bowdown:

MOPARHOUND!
01-29-2009, 11:11 AM

If it's Made in U.S.A., and cheap enough, it's going in the "shopping box". :)

Uncle Buck
01-29-2009, 11:38 AM

Always stuck me as cheap import tools. I do not recall ever seeing that brand in Western Auto stores either, so I do not think there is any connection to them.

If it's Made in U.S.A., and cheap enough, it's going in the "shopping box". :)

I never recall seeing anything but import stuff carrying that brand.

krusty the clown
01-29-2009, 11:45 AM
Always stuck me as cheap import tools. I do not recall ever seeing that brand in Western Auto stores either, so I do not think there is any connection to them.

I never recall seeing anything but import stuff carrying that brand.

it really was a western auto house brand :bounce:

alloy artifacts list's vlcheck as the mfr but the wrenches in the ebay link are no doubt indestro.....

you may be confused with westward.

Uncle Buck
01-29-2009, 11:58 AM
it really was a western auto house brand :bounce:

alloy artifacts list's vlcheck as the mfr but the wrenches in the ebay link are no doubt indestro.....

you may be confused with westward.

Is there anything you don't know? :bowdown: Man, you are smart for a liquored up clown! :lol_hitti

krusty the clown
01-29-2009, 12:31 PM
Man, you are smart for a liquored up clown! :lol_hitti

i drunken friend told me once " i really don't know anything .......but i do know where to find out" :bounce: now where's my beer and cigarette's :headscrat:beer:

crankshaftdan II
07-06-2009, 09:40 AM
RE: Westline tools I have were from older gentleman who passed on-was probably in his 80's. My set has "D" before the WESTLINE name and FORGED IN USA on reverse side. Chrome plated, however feels light almost like aluminum or pot metal construction. Nice set of offset-box wrenches!:bounce:

SCscoutguy
03-19-2011, 04:34 PM
I found 4 Westline wrenches in a tool box I got full of tools today at the flea market. I had never heard of them but I knew someone here would. It never ceases to amaze me at the amount of knowledge on this site. :thumbup:
Here are a few pictures.