View Full Version : HF 1/2" electric impact on sale $34

Danglerb
02-05-2009, 02:17 PM
Latest snail mail flyer has the 1/2" drive 115v electric impact wrench for $34 (coupon), generally good reviews, so I am thinking about getting one for those times I want an impact, and don't want to or can't mess with the compressor and hoses.

bchee
02-05-2009, 05:30 PM
what's the model number on the one on sale? It's the corded one?

They have these 2 with a price difference of $10, but the specs look the same.
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=31877
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=45252

I have one of them, can't remember the part number, but I got it for $29.99, no coupon. I think they go on sale pretty regularly. I've only used it 5-6 times, but it's not broken yet. I think some axle nuts, some lug nuts, and a spring compressor.

edit: one thing that was weird to me, when I was going to buy one, there was a bunch of the Chicago Electric (orange ones) on ebay, and I think they were reconditioned or something. I was worried they failed at a high rate and they were being recycled or something.

JimmyM
02-05-2009, 07:31 PM
I have the 31877 it comes with a nice black plastic case and I've used it a hand full of times and no complaints so far, in looking at the 2 links above and comparing mine they both look like they have the same specfications the $10.00 more one says industrial design maybe a heavier duty case?

Coach James
02-05-2009, 08:08 PM
I got one from Northern Tool for my dad that looks just like the HF one except for a red case. The specs are the same also. It has worked great for him. It quickly took off the rest of the lug nuts he started out using a lug wrench and 2 foot cheater on.

Coach

rsanter
02-05-2009, 08:12 PM
total knock off of the old black&decker unit

bob

kartracer55
02-05-2009, 08:41 PM
total knock off of the old black&decker unit

bob

Probably IS the old black&decker unit...

Danglerb
02-05-2009, 11:40 PM
Coupon lists both sku's, so I guess its good for either, or whichever the local store carries. Description is the same for both.

Hawk321
02-06-2009, 03:36 AM
HAHAHA look at the brand...CHICAGO ELECTRIC POWER TOOL...sound similar to CHICAGO PNEUMATICE POWER TOOLS:lol_hitti

eschoendorff
02-06-2009, 05:44 AM
Coupon lists both sku's, so I guess its good for either, or whichever the local store carries. Description is the same for both.

I have one that looks like this... but says "Speedway Series" on it. Got it from the tool gypsies when they cam to town about 6 years ago. It is a total POS. Hopefully the HF version is better...

The Muffin Man
02-06-2009, 08:03 AM
Harborfreight Also has their 13 piece SAE impact sockets on sale as well...

http://www.harborfreightusa.com/usa/common/displayCoupon.do?week=609&campaign=RetailB&page=coupon18.html&single=true&r=4040_10569&cust=33015590836&keycode=0000

Danglerb
02-18-2009, 03:13 AM
I picked up the 45252 today, but haven't tried it out yet. It is freaking huge, borderline awkwardly heavy, but I don't see that as a problem for its intended use. *** I asked a couple of the guys working there, and generally they have been straight when questioned, and no troubles with this impact.

Planned uses are; anytime I need an impact and don't want 5 minutes of the racket my compressor makes, and planning on taking it with me for use with an inverter and a motor cycle sized battery.

I expect to give it a workout by the weekend and will report back then.

The Muffin Man
02-18-2009, 09:30 AM
I expect to give it a workout by the weekend and will report back then.

Please do! I've been looking for a cheap electric impact driver to store in with my trailer and run off a car battery inverter. This one may fit my needs.

gotmud13613
02-18-2009, 09:49 AM
I have one that looks like this... but says "Speedway Series" on it. Got it from the tool gypsies when they cam to town about 6 years ago. It is a total POS. Hopefully the HF version is better...

As soon as I seen the Speedway Series I know exactly what impact your talking about. About 4-5 years ago my cousin stopped in and wanted to rotate his tires. I said ok and went to get my jack and stands and he grabs this impact out of his car that he said he just bought at a traveling tool sale for like $30 and wanted to try it out.

So we got the car up on stands and I grabbed the extension cord for him. It even came with like 5 sae sockets.

None of them were the right size so I gave him the one he needed and the first lug he tried to remove, the gun sounded like it had a bunch of marbles banging around inside then it started smoking and the socket flew off and the retaning ball and spring flew out. I almost busted a gut laughing :spit:

We still talk and laugh about that impact till this day.:lol_hitti

back2class
02-18-2009, 10:31 AM
has anyone used one? I had one and I could get more torque with a 12" ratchet an my hand. honestly, it was useless.

Danglerb
02-18-2009, 11:49 AM
I'll be pulling the whole front and rear suspension off my parts car before the chassis goes to scrap next week, so I expect to know soon.