View Full Version : Fascia Boards,what do you guys think?

catch22
03-09-2009, 09:51 PM
Ok heres whats going on,I have built a 22x22 garage addition and I put 1x6 fascia boards on to match the old garage,but they wave and im just not happy with them so this is my new plan.
Im going to take all of the 1x6 boards down and replace them with 2x6 boards.
The problem is that the 2x6 boards will stick out farther than my shingles so I am going to router where the boards get nailed to the trusses to set them back in to the position where the 1x6 was.
Does this sound like a good idea or does anyone have any other ideas?

Thanks Mike:confused:

Ironcrow
03-09-2009, 10:12 PM
Can't you shorten the rafter tails? You really need to make sure the rain doesn't drip off onto the wood.

PurdueSD
03-09-2009, 10:50 PM
I second the rafter tail hack idea...

Sundowner
03-09-2009, 10:52 PM
or just get an aluminum drip edge and lap it up under the shingles and over the 2x6.

beardking
03-09-2009, 11:06 PM
What about installing 2x bracing between the rafter tails behind the fascia as a sub fascia so that you could nail the 1x6 fascia more. Maybe add construction adhesive before installing the bracing.

PurdueSD
03-09-2009, 11:22 PM
What about installing 2x bracing between the rafter tails behind the fascia as a sub fascia so that you could nail the 1x6 fascia more. Maybe add construction adhesive before installing the bracing.
If the rafter tails are whipping up and down, this wont help you straighten them out... imo

beardking
03-10-2009, 12:18 AM
I was thinking more along the lines of the 1x fascia being wavy in and out, not up and down, like the 1x was too thin to be stiff enough without the support behind them (nailed only at the rafter tails).

Kevin54
03-10-2009, 03:36 AM
Ok heres whats going on,I have built a 22x22 garage addition and I put 1x6 fascia boards on to match the old garage,but they wave and im just not happy with them so this is my new plan.
Im going to take all of the 1x6 boards down and replace them with 2x6 boards.
The problem is that the 2x6 boards will stick out farther than my shingles so I am going to router where the boards get nailed to the trusses to set them back in to the position where the 1x6 was.
Does this sound like a good idea or does anyone have any other ideas?

Thanks Mike:confused:

Add a nailer between the rafters to help straighten out the 1x6. By the time you spend all of the time notching the 2x6 you will have basicallt the same thing. And by adding a nailer between, you won't have to cut any rafter tails, extend you drip edge, etc. When it comes time to re-roof the garage, then is the time to replace your fascia board if needed. On the other hand....if it is REAL wavy, are you sure the rafter tails were all lined up? One other alternative would be to replace the fascia board with a composite board instead of a pine board

larry4406
03-10-2009, 04:57 AM
The above pretty much nailed. On a stick built roof, the carpenter should have chalklined the rafter tails and trimmed them so the were all in-line or worked to a string line at initial install. On truss built roofs, they should work to a string (no cutting) but there are production tolerances and you may have to scab the tails. The drip edge is a good idea.

catch22
03-15-2009, 10:08 PM
Ok thanks everyone for your input,I think Im going to trim off the ends of the trusses so that the 2x6 will fit.

Thanks Mike

usa#1
03-15-2009, 11:15 PM
Like Larry4406 says, make sure to pull a string line before cutting the rafters or you may still end up with a wavy fascia.