View Full Version : Ideas for coal bin on wheels?

Brett K
03-16-2009, 09:36 PM
Part of my garage renovation will be to do away with the coal bin. I would like to buy or build two containers on casters that will hold a little more than one ton each. That way I only have to keep one inside at a time and I could pull them both under the deck in the summer to get them out of sight.

I will most likely end up building them but can't decide netween building them out of wood or recruiting my neighbor to help me build them from steel. I will also have to find some heavy duty large casters with rubber wheels to pull them across the yard with my lawnmower. Has anyone done anytrhing like this? Any ideas you could offer?

tdkkart
03-17-2009, 12:47 AM
I've got a '94 VW Jetta with sunroof that would make a dandy coal bin, it's self propelled too..............:wtf:

PAToyota
03-17-2009, 09:16 AM
Not sure how big a ton of coal is offhand, but first thought I had was a feed cart for farm use: http://www.farmerboyag.com/Feeding/Carts_accessories/

Mattlt
03-17-2009, 10:32 AM
I was going to suggest a feed cart as well. Depending where you live and how patient you are you may be able to find one at a dairy farm auction. I picked one up a few years ago for cheap.

Google the words "feed cart" and look at the Images tab. Should give you all kinds of ideas. Note the different ways the casters are laid out.

Dieffman
03-17-2009, 11:07 AM
What about something like this? http://wengers.com/display_product.asp?category=tractor_equipment&equip_type=wagons&sku=63269

russlaferrera
03-17-2009, 06:10 PM
I am having a mental image problem with this. I see 2000 lbs of coal in a 2 cubic yard container (or bigger), you are wanting to put this on casters and put it under the deck.

Is the area all concrete the container is to be moved on/off of?

If MY image is not correct. What about using a construction job box?

Brett K
03-17-2009, 06:26 PM
I am having a mental image problem with this. I see 2000 lbs of coal in a 2 cubic yard container (or bigger), you are wanting to put this on casters and put it under the deck.

Is the area all concrete the container is to be moved on/off of?

If MY image is not correct. What about using a construction job box?

OK, I will give it a shot without pics for now.

I have a two stall attached garage with one ten foot door. The other side has a coal bin that I want to remove and add another door. I figure I can build two portable coal bins and only have to put one in the garage at a time against the back wall so I can still fit two cars in. Having them on casters allows me to move them out of the garage for a coal delivery and pull one in at a time, and then pull them both around the house through the yard and tuck them under the deck for the summer. WHile loaded, it would only have to survive the seems in the concrete and about a two inch lip to enter into the garage. It doesn't seem like much of a task until you figure the weight involved. I figure I could pull it with my garden tractor.

I need something with about 40 cubic feet or more and rated for 2000-2500lbs. I would rather have one 4' x 4' x 4' cart in the garage at a time and have them out of sight for the summer.

russlaferrera
03-17-2009, 06:51 PM
Bret, holy Poop, 40cu yards, that is a dumpster. Sorry I have no suggestions.

Kona Cruisers
03-17-2009, 07:10 PM
ya you do russ.. a dumpster.. sounds good to me.

Brett K
03-17-2009, 07:40 PM
Bret, holy Poop, 40cu yards, that is a dumpster. Sorry I have no suggestions.

That would be alot. I only need a minimum of 40 cubic feet. I am thinking about 4 x 4 x 4which should hold one ton of coal.

russlaferrera
03-17-2009, 08:10 PM
That would be alot. I only need a minimum of 40 cubic feet. I am thinking about 4 x 4 x 4which should hold one ton of coal.

Ok , I messed up. Use a smaller dumpster LOL Hey what about a 275 oil tank? Cut the top off.

1320stang
03-17-2009, 08:20 PM
What's a coal bin?:wtf::headscrat

..........maybe move someplace warmer.......:lol_hitti

Brett K
03-17-2009, 08:23 PM
I swear, I have spent a couple hours googling to find something. The answer was at Northern Tool all along. Two of these ought to do the trick .

http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_6970_47661_47661