To avoid these ads, REGISTER NOW!

Hydraulic ram rebuilders

bmwpower

Super Moderator
Staff member
Joined
Apr 24, 2005
Messages
12,578
Location
NJ
Know any? Are they rebuildable?
It's a 25 ton press ram.

Where's Elroy....
 
To avoid these ads, REGISTER NOW!

garfunkle24

Well-known member
Joined
Mar 18, 2008
Messages
3,432
Location
Saskatoon, Canada
Depends on the cylinder. I've rebuilt hundreds.

Release pressure from the cylinder and look for the retaining method. Typically the barrel end (fat part) will have a screw on cap or wire retainer. PM me for more help.

BTW are we talking an electric over hydraulic press?
 
Last edited:
OP
B

bmwpower

Super Moderator
Staff member
Joined
Apr 24, 2005
Messages
12,578
Location
NJ
Depends on the cylinder. I've rebuilt hundreds.

Release pressure from the cylinder and look for the retaining method. Typically the barrel end (fat part) will have a screw on cap or wire retainer. PM me for more help.

BTW are we talking an electric over hydraulic press?

OK, I think I know what you're talking about.

I don't have the ram...yet. Was thinking of picking it up, but the ram was leaky according to the owner.

This is a manual pump hydraulic setup. Familiar with 70's vintage OTC rams?
 
To avoid these ads, REGISTER NOW!

garfunkle24

Well-known member
Joined
Mar 18, 2008
Messages
3,432
Location
Saskatoon, Canada
OK, makes more sense now.

As with many things, the value of a used Hyd. cylinder is dependant on the availability of parts for it. If a seal kit is available (or can be matched up) it is usually a very inexpensive fix.

If the cylinder is not servicable or you cannot get parts, it is a boat anchor. I'm afraid you'll have to do some digging for part #'s etc and see what is available.
 
OP
B

bmwpower

Super Moderator
Staff member
Joined
Apr 24, 2005
Messages
12,578
Location
NJ
OK, makes more sense now.

As with many things, the value of a used Hyd. cylinder is dependant on the availability of parts for it. If a seal kit is available (or can be matched up) it is usually a very inexpensive fix.

If the cylinder is not servicable or you cannot get parts, it is a boat anchor. I'm afraid you'll have to do some digging for part #'s etc and see what is available.

Was afraid you were going to say that. Anyone with any info, let me know.
 
To avoid these ads, REGISTER NOW!
Top Bottom