View Full Version : just bought a new refrigerator a few questions

yellowbox
05-16-2009, 11:44 PM
bought a new side by side refrigerator today , and it wil be delivered tuesday
i made all the measurements in the kitchen to make sure it would fit, but forgot about the process of getting it into the house ...
front doorway is 36 inches wide , but subtract for the " seal" that goes around the doorway and now i have appx 35.5 inches.
the refrigerator is 35 5/8 inches wide and now i am not sure it will fit .
are the measurements for the fridge going to be balls accurate? and will i have to remove seal around doorway to get fridge in house ?
what is best way to remove seal? without breaking the wood? that seal is attached to ?
i am thinking of using a prybar/crowbar to gently try to remove wood and seal in one piece then resecure afterwards ,i dont see any nails so i am guessing the wood trim piece and seal are glued onto doorway.
all other doors in house are smaller than front door
i am hoping measurements for fridge are not 100 percent accurate
anyone here move furniture for a living , and have any ideas please let me know
i do not know if store delivering fridge have run across this before and may have a solution or may drop off outside my door and say ......we cannot help see ya

GN4WHLN
05-16-2009, 11:57 PM
How about the depth? I put our side by side in by taking off the doors and moving it sideways. Doors typically come off easily for this purpose and took about 4 inches off that dimension.

nate379
05-16-2009, 11:59 PM
That's what I did with my. Was cake since I have a reduced depth model.

yellowbox
05-17-2009, 12:28 AM
i cannot believe i overlooked the depth, it is 28.5 inches , even with the handles/doors attached it should be no problem.
i sure feel like a dumb ass, thanks for the replies

GN4WHLN
05-17-2009, 12:46 AM
Somtimes it just takes a second set of eyes.

Torque1st
05-17-2009, 12:51 AM
Somtimes it just takes a second set of eyes.
Or some that have moved a number of refrigerators.

Just as a point of information. To move refrigerators into a house, it is not unusual to have to remove the refer doors, the handles, the screen door opener, the screen door, or even the house door.

ddawg16
05-17-2009, 07:30 AM
We, or rather the delivery guys, had to take the handles off ours as well.....

But we also had to remove the drywall on the inside wall next to the fridge.....

When I made the alcove for the fridge a few years ago, I made it 'exactly' 36" wide. Like your fridge, mine is 35 5/8" wide. Except the tend to 'bulge' just a little in the middle.....it doesn't take much to eat up 3/8".....and when you take into consideration that I got the front opening at 36"....back towards the wall it narrows down to about 35 1/2"....give or take an 1/8".

So....out comes the sawsall....and we take out the drywall on the inside of the wall that is next to the fridge....not a big deal...that wall will be coming out in about a year anyway....

BTW....for anyone looking at fridges.....we almost went with the side by side....but ended up with the 3 door unit...the freezer is on the bottom....huge pull out drawer....and the upper fridge is french doors.....love the thing...quiet....and it has a drawer big enough for the largest pizza box you can get....tons of room....I thought I would not like ice maker in the bottom but it was better than I thought.

Junkman
05-17-2009, 07:41 AM
First mistake...... buying a side by side... My wife hated ours, and everyone of her friends also hated it. Too hard to get a full size platter into the refrigerator when you have company. Everything about it was narrower. The freezer was a disaster to find anything in it, since it was also narrow. It is a built in Sub Zero, so changing it wasn't much of an option. I finally gave in and bought her a Jenn Air refrigerator on the top, freezer on the bottom. Problem is that no refrigerator will ever be big enough for some women, and she is one of them. She uses the new refrigerator for most things, and the side by side handles the rest. As you might have guessed, the Jenn Air doesn't have the capacity of the Sub Zero, but it does have convenience way above the Sub Zero. If it isn't too late, see if you can change it. She will be much happier.

tdkkart
05-17-2009, 08:57 AM
We tried to go with a bottom freezer model, problem is they tend to be deeper, which would have reduced the walking space between the counter and fridge, wasn't gonna work.

yellowbox
05-17-2009, 12:40 PM
First mistake...... buying a side by side... My wife hated ours, and everyone of her friends also hated it. Too hard to get a full size platter into the refrigerator when you have company. Everything about it was narrower. The freezer was a disaster to find anything in it, since it was also narrow. It is a built in Sub Zero, so changing it wasn't much of an option. I finally gave in and bought her a Jenn Air refrigerator on the top, freezer on the bottom. Problem is that no refrigerator will ever be big enough for some women, and she is one of them. She uses the new refrigerator for most things, and the side by side handles the rest. As you might have guessed, the Jenn Air doesn't have the capacity of the Sub Zero, but it does have convenience way above the Sub Zero. If it isn't too late, see if you can change it. She will be much happier.

hell she wanted a side by side i tried to tell her to try the style with the freezer on the bottom , but we got what she wanted .
me , i aint that picky to me it is just a place to store food .
the old one is going in the garage to store as much beer as i can get in it ...

Jaguar Fan
05-17-2009, 12:52 PM
BTW....for anyone looking at fridges.....we almost went with the side by side....but ended up with the 3 door unit...the freezer is on the bottom....huge pull out drawer....and the upper fridge is french doors.....love the thing...quiet....and it has a drawer big enough for the largest pizza box you can get....tons of room....I thought I would not like ice maker in the bottom but it was better than I thought.

Hi... which brand did you get?

Junkman
05-17-2009, 03:00 PM
hell she wanted a side by side i tried to tell her to try the style with the freezer on the bottom , but we got what she wanted .
me , i aint that picky to me it is just a place to store food .
the old one is going in the garage to store as much beer as i can get in it ...

Ask her where she is going to store the Thanksgiving turkey or the Christmas ham. Both will be a tight squeeze in the side by side refrigerator. It is a matter of usable area, not the total area inside the box. The only side by side that makes any sense is a 48" wide refrigerator. Suggest that she take a few of her storage containers to the appliance store and see how well they fit. Some people can't visualize anything without trying it to see how well it fits.

speed bump
05-17-2009, 03:13 PM
This thread made me think of my last job, I worked at a refrigeration shop and when we got in fixable refrigerators for disposal we fixed em and sold em. At $150 for another fridge a lot of the landlords would buy them. So we have this lady come in buy a fridge for a rental and pay for delivery. I come to the house and look at the old side by side. In the end to get it out I had to: 1) remove fridge doors and grills 2.) take off anything could be in the way and adjust the coils personality 3.) remove 4 doors in the house and take the trim off the door frame 4) take the front porches screen door off including the frame. 5) Rearrange the couples bedroom because that was the only way it could make it through. That was the worst that I could deliver I had a few other ones that I just called the land lord and told go pick out another fridge this one sure as hell doesn't fit.