To avoid these ads, REGISTER NOW!

What can you tell me about these Snap-On Boxes??

jshillin

Well-known member
Joined
Nov 9, 2008
Messages
5,702
Location
PA
Just picked these up today and really know nothing about them. I can't seem to find a plate on them to give the model number either. They are older and have friction slides, that's all I really know.
topboxfrontclosed.jpg


topboxsideclosed.jpg


topbox_front_open.jpg


bottomboxfrontclosed.jpg


bottomboxfrontopen.jpg


bottomboxsideopen.jpg


bottombox_rear.jpg


Haven't had a chance to start cleaning them up because I just got them home. Gotta run out with the fiance for a bit to do some shopping since I bought them and was hoping you guys could pass along any info you may have on them.

Thanks!!

- Jason
 
To avoid these ads, REGISTER NOW!

pjcforpres2020

Well-known member
Joined
Jul 14, 2009
Messages
262
I can tell you not to touch them unless you are Randy, sounds like he has a gun and will shoot.

Looks like a nice score!
 

Lookin4'67Galaxieconv

Well-known member
Joined
Jul 2, 2008
Messages
16,736
Location
Atlanta, GA
Look on the back of each one, in the corners. On each one you'll find an etching telling you the model number, the serial number, and a double digit number telling you what year it was made.
 

rsanter

Well-known member
Joined
Dec 22, 2007
Messages
18,559
Location
visalia ca
I used to have that top box. it served me well for many years.
the bottom box if I remember correctly was concidered a 'high security' box or something like that.

that bottom box would make a good home for my valve grinder and seat grinder stuff

bob
 
OP
J

jshillin

Well-known member
Joined
Nov 9, 2008
Messages
5,702
Location
PA
Look on the back of each one, in the corners. On each one you'll find an etching telling you the model number, the serial number, and a double digit number telling you what year it was made.

Thanks, I found the embossed information, but it was closer to the middle.

Top - KRA59G with a date code of 86
Bottom - KRA300D with a date code of 72

I thought the writing about Randy and his gun would come off with Lacquer thinner, but that didn't touch it. I tried detailing clay as well and that didn't work either. I'll break out the polisher and an agressive polish and see if that does anything. Any ideas?? Also, what's the easiest way to pull the drawers out of the bottom box? I did some searching on here and read that you could do it with a feeler gauge or a hacksaw blade, but wanted to verify. I really only boughti t for the bottom box so I may be selling the KRA59, not positive yet. Thanks guys!!!

- Jason
 
OP
J

jshillin

Well-known member
Joined
Nov 9, 2008
Messages
5,702
Location
PA
I tried all of the above ideas(even the hairspray) and none of them would take it off... I'm going to end up sanding down and painting the lid and front or just letting it alone and selling it as is... Other than that, it's in pretty good shape over all, he had cardboard cut as drawer liners and it only has a couple minor dings. The bottom box is just as clean, only real issue with it is the slides will come off of the bottom drawer as it looks like the catch is broken off. I'll have to look into it some more. Another cool thing is the bottom box has a MAC 1/2 Impact (AW4400), a Sioux 1/2 air ratchet and a grinder. I'll probably go to the paint store and get some paint mixed, does anyone have the info for it? If not, I'll have them color match it.
 

Basskiller

Well-known member
Joined
Feb 7, 2009
Messages
495
Location
s cal
Merk had these listed for paint codes.......

PPG Ditzler Powder Coat Resin #AR320 - Snap-On Red

PPG Ditzler Wet Spray Paint #73504 - Snap-On Red

PPG Ditzler Wet Spray Paint #902979 - Snap-On Candy Apple Red

PPG Ditzler Wet Spray Paint #19026 - Snap-On Royal Blue

PPG Ditzler Wet Spray Paint #906121 - Snap-On Electric Orange

PPG Ditzler Wet Spray Paint #51797 - Snap-On Cranberry
 

Uncle Buck

Banned
Joined
Mar 7, 2005
Messages
9,120
Location
Kansas
I tried all of the above ideas(even the hairspray) and none of them would take it off... I'm going to end up sanding down and painting the lid and front or just letting it alone and selling it as is...

Na, don't do that, get a can of cheap Dupont rubbing compound and take a clean shop rag and gently see if the compound will not lift it. Do not go gorilla on it, rubbing compound is rather abrasive, and will remove a LOT of paint in short order, unlike polishing compound which is considerably less abrasive.

When that lettering disappears, and it will, polish the whole cover with regular car wax and you should be good to go.

I would not use any power tools to do this unless you really do want to repaint that cover. Take your time, be patient, AND DO THIS BY HAND. :thumbup:

Try my way first unless you are just itchin to repaint that set, in which case that is different.
 
OP
J

jshillin

Well-known member
Joined
Nov 9, 2008
Messages
5,702
Location
PA
Na, don't do that, get a can of cheap Dupont rubbing compound and take a clean shop rag and gently see if the compound will not lift it. Do not go gorilla on it, rubbing compound is rather abrasive, and will remove a LOT of paint in short order, unlike polishing compound which is considerably less abrasive.

When that lettering disappears, and it will, polish the whole cover with regular car wax and you should be good to go.

I would not use any power tools to do this unless you really do want to repaint that cover. Take your time, be patient, AND DO THIS BY HAND. :thumbup:

Try my way first unless you are just itchin to repaint that set, in which case that is different.

I tried that as well... If you look in the middle of "not" you will see where the paint looks a bit funny. While I was cleaning it, that parts lifted so I pretty much have to paint that part now... I got most of the part about the gun off, but that middle sections needs some paint or a sticker. The sides and drawers are all pretty good, but he sat **** on the top and wrote all over the front so I think I should just sand it down, then prime and spray it.
 
OP
J

jshillin

Well-known member
Joined
Nov 9, 2008
Messages
5,702
Location
PA
Merk had these listed for paint codes.......

PPG Ditzler Powder Coat Resin #AR320 - Snap-On Red

PPG Ditzler Wet Spray Paint #73504 - Snap-On Red

PPG Ditzler Wet Spray Paint #902979 - Snap-On Candy Apple Red

PPG Ditzler Wet Spray Paint #19026 - Snap-On Royal Blue

PPG Ditzler Wet Spray Paint #906121 - Snap-On Electric Orange

PPG Ditzler Wet Spray Paint #51797 - Snap-On Cranberry

Thanks Basskiller, I'll have to check my local PPG store to see how much a pint or 1/2 pint is. Won't take much to spray that little bit.
 
To avoid these ads, REGISTER NOW!

pjcforpres2020

Well-known member
Joined
Jul 14, 2009
Messages
262
Seriously? The hair spray didn't work? Since the cheap stuff uses the same alcohol base that most magic markers/ sharpies use. I have never had an issue with it removing markers, it usually starts bleeding off before you even get to wiping. That is some tough marker! Must be absorbed into the paint itself or something!
 

Uncle Buck

Banned
Joined
Mar 7, 2005
Messages
9,120
Location
Kansas
I tried that as well... If you look in the middle of "not" you will see where the paint looks a bit funny. While I was cleaning it, that parts lifted so I pretty much have to paint that part now... I got most of the part about the gun off, but that middle sections needs some paint or a sticker. The sides and drawers are all pretty good, but he sat **** on the top and wrote all over the front so I think I should just sand it down, then prime and spray it.

I went back and looked at the spot you mentioned. I may be wrong here, but I do not think you went far enough. As far as I can tell, the red paint looks as though it is all there? If you are going to repaint it anyway then why not go after the lettering a bit more aggresively. I do not notice any loss of finish, but perhaps something was lost in the picture.
 
OP
J

jshillin

Well-known member
Joined
Nov 9, 2008
Messages
5,702
Location
PA
I went back and looked at the spot you mentioned. I may be wrong here, but I do not think you went far enough. As far as I can tell, the red paint looks as though it is all there? If you are going to repaint it anyway then why not go after the lettering a bit more aggresively. I do not notice any loss of finish, but perhaps something was lost in the picture.

That pic was before I started cleaning, I have a nice spot of bare metal now...
 
OP
J

jshillin

Well-known member
Joined
Nov 9, 2008
Messages
5,702
Location
PA
Seriously? The hair spray didn't work? Since the cheap stuff uses the same alcohol base that most magic markers/ sharpies use. I have never had an issue with it removing markers, it usually starts bleeding off before you even get to wiping. That is some tough marker! Must be absorbed into the paint itself or something!

I was surprised when lacquer thinner or acetone didn't do anything... The box is from 1986 so it's hard to tell how many years ago "Randy" decided to write all of it.

On a good note, the top 3 or 4 drawers in the bottom box has some kind of felt like liner in it that was stuck to what looks like a heavy vinyl. I peeled it off of 2 of the drawers and the paint looks brand new underneath. I'll have to try to get some more pics after work tomorrow.
 

Uncle Buck

Banned
Joined
Mar 7, 2005
Messages
9,120
Location
Kansas
That pic was before I started cleaning, I have a nice spot of bare metal now...

Well, I guess we are past cleaning then,and on to prep and paint which is OK too. If you do it right you could really make it look like a million bucks for sure. :beer:
 

Rickster

Well-known member
Joined
Jun 26, 2005
Messages
6,218
Location
SE PA
Whats with the little secret door on the side of the bottom box? I had one of those boxes one time and I didn't get a secret door!
 
OP
J

jshillin

Well-known member
Joined
Nov 9, 2008
Messages
5,702
Location
PA
Whats with the little secret door on the side of the bottom box? I had one of those boxes one time and I didn't get a secret door!

Honestly man, I have no clue. I pulled it off, it's an access panel of some kind, but I don't see anything behind it that you would need to access.
 
OP
J

jshillin

Well-known member
Joined
Nov 9, 2008
Messages
5,702
Location
PA
Well, I guess we are past cleaning then,and on to prep and paint which is OK too. If you do it right you could really make it look like a million bucks for sure. :beer:

I think I'm just going to end up painting the top and front cover because the rest of the box isn't to bad. It's not a gem, but it's definitely a solid box. I'm going to check around to see if I can get a pint of paint mixed and start prepping it.
 

48548

Well-known member
Joined
May 14, 2008
Messages
4,036
Location
Phoenix
I have a KRA 300f and I love the box, not the greatest, but will serve me for a long time and the price was right. Pretty good quality and mine is really loaded down with a lot of weight and holding fine.
 
OP
J

jshillin

Well-known member
Joined
Nov 9, 2008
Messages
5,702
Location
PA
OK, before i even decided whether or not I'm keeping or selling these I have someone wanting to buy them. I bought a quart of paint and hardener to paint the front cover and lid of the small box and just cleaned up the small one. How much are these boxes worth??? I'm not even sure I'm going to sell them, but I don't want to ask to much or sell for way to little.

Thanks guys.
 
OP
J

jshillin

Well-known member
Joined
Nov 9, 2008
Messages
5,702
Location
PA
OK, before i even decided whether or not I'm keeping or selling these I have someone wanting to buy them. I bought a quart of paint and hardener to paint the front cover and lid of the small box and just cleaned up the small one. How much are these boxes worth??? I'm not even sure I'm going to sell them, but I don't want to ask to much or sell for way to little.

Thanks guys.

I googled both box series and can't find what they are selling for. What is reasonable for the pair >, =, or < $500?? The boxes have been cleaned up since the original pics and the front cover and lid of the KRA59 will be painted with PPG Snap-on Red tomorrow. I'm not positive I want to sell them, but I really wasn't looking for tool boxes when I bought them, I was looking for a nice 2 or 3 drawer tool cart.

Thanks Guys!!
 
Last edited:
To avoid these ads, REGISTER NOW!
Top Bottom