View Full Version : need socket sizes

dolfans
10-14-2009, 07:42 PM
I am wanting to get my (late father's) sockets in order by size. I am asking if someone can post the sizes for me or give me a web site? Thanks

snapmom
10-14-2009, 07:44 PM
will need some more information. Make, model, drive size, how old are they. A picture would help.

arkangel06
10-14-2009, 08:20 PM
1/4'' 5/16'' 11/32'' 3/8'' 7/16'' 1/2'' 9/16'' 5/8'' 11/16'' 3/4'' 13/16'' 7/8'' 15/16'' 1''

Is this what you were looking for?

dolfans
10-14-2009, 08:21 PM
Most are Craftsman and starting out i am doing 1/4 drive.There is some odd and ends sockets but not worried about them.I just want to get these in order by size.I am not sure how old they are but he was a mechanic/service manager in the 60's but i doubt they are that old.There is one that does not have a size on it.Thanks

ZRX61
10-14-2009, 08:39 PM
If the size is stamped on them, what seems to be the problem?

dolfans
10-14-2009, 08:58 PM
Thanks arkangel06 that is what i want. I have other sizes also. I have sofar 5/32",7/32",1/4",9/32",5/16",
11/32",7/16",1/2",9/16",5/8" after that that case # is missing. ZRX61 some of the sockets almost look the same size to me.

WSMC633
10-14-2009, 09:42 PM
I'm completely baffled by this thread. Seriously.... Am I missing something?

Torq'er
10-14-2009, 09:55 PM
Are you a member of the "metric generation", and not real good with fractional sizing?

Not meant as a joke - pretty common thing amongst the younger crowd these days.

dustin19
10-14-2009, 10:03 PM
im with u.... i can tell the difference of sockets just by looking at them... :confused:

WSMC633
10-14-2009, 10:14 PM
im with u.... i can tell the difference of sockets just by looking at them... :confused:

Is the OP asking us to tell him what order his fractional sockets go in from smallest to Largest?

Not to be a D**K but aren't fractions kind of basic math?
Maybe I'm just totally missing the question :beer:

baucom
10-14-2009, 10:22 PM
Maybe he wants a list of all sizes to see if he's missing any? IDK any other way to take that question that makes sense.

dustin19
10-14-2009, 10:23 PM
Is the OP asking us to tell him what order his fractional sockets go in from smallest to Largest?

Not to be a D**K but aren't fractions kind of basic math?
Maybe I'm just totally missing the question :beer:

learned fractions in 3rd grade..

WSMC633
10-14-2009, 10:23 PM
Maybe he wants a list of all sizes to see if he's missing any? IDK any other way to take that question that makes sense.

Ahhhhhhh That could certainly be it.

Bull
10-14-2009, 10:25 PM

I am sure this is the case. I am betting that he wants a list of all the available socket sizes so that he can compare what he has to a master list and arrange them accordingly. You can't arrange everything if you don't know if a size is missing in between two other sizes, you know?

It's a reasonable question, especially if he is not a big tool guy.

krusty the clown
10-14-2009, 10:27 PM
it's missing 3/16 and 3/8 if thats the case..........

5/8 in 1/4 drive?

wreckercologist
10-14-2009, 10:31 PM
Maybe he wants a list of all sizes to see if he's missing any?*@#$ IDK any other way to take that question that makes sense.

If that's the case, the OP needs a 3/16" to go in between the 5/32" and 7/32".

Just a suggestion to the OP, do you have a decimal equivalancy chart?

Here's one that might help:

http://www.championscrew.com/fractions.htm

HandyManny
10-14-2009, 10:41 PM

Me too. I just don't under stand. The size is printed on the socket, so put them in order according to that. It's just like your ABCs, only with numbers. You can even get them in order without looking at the size, just by visually seeing how each socket appears to the other.

Bull
10-14-2009, 10:42 PM
Me too. I just don't under stand. The size is printed on the socket, so put them in order according to that. It's just like your ABCs, only with numbers. You can even get them in order without looking at the size, just by visually seeing how each socket appears to the other.

Read replies #11 and 14.

HandyManny
10-14-2009, 10:46 PM
The original poster said he wanted to get them in order by size. I don't deduct from that, that he is missing any particular size :headscrat

Sorry, just reading the original question, but you guys may be right about the sizes missing.

WSMC633
10-14-2009, 10:51 PM
The original poster said he wanted to get them in order by size. I don't deduct from that, that he is missing any particular size :headscrat

Sorry, just reading the original question, but you guys may be right about the sizes missing.

Well his first problem is they're CMAN so he won't be able to put them in order properly Anyway. Best bet is to replace them with Snap-On. They put themselves in order. Any Pro knows that you have to buy Premium Truck Brands because they will self order themselves. It's the small things that add up when doing flat rate work.

HandyManny
10-14-2009, 10:56 PM
Well his first problem is they're CMAN so he won't be able to put them in order properly Anyway. Best bet is to replace them with Snap-On. They put themselves in order. Any Pro knows that you have to buy Premium Truck Brands because they will self order themselves. It's the small things that add up when doing flat rate work.

So that's what I've been missing out on all these years :lol_hitti

I knew there had to be a legitimate reason why Snap-On cost a fortune.

My decades old Proto and Wright stuff just doesn't do that on their own. Dang :lol_hitti

petty4243
10-14-2009, 11:38 PM
come on guys, cut the OP a litte bit of slack.... not all of us are blessed with excellent fraction skills... even if we are decent at them, throughing in the 32nds can get a bit confusing.....

webscrounger
10-14-2009, 11:56 PM
What series is he looking for BE, H, C, V........?

Stick Figure
10-15-2009, 12:55 AM
http://www.vaughns-1-pagers.com/science/wrench-conversion.htm

that list should help you put everything in order. At the end of the day, they are just fractions of an inch, so general fraction math is all you need to do to compare them.

HandyManny
10-15-2009, 10:46 AM
come on guys, cut the OP a litte bit of slack.... not all of us are blessed with excellent fraction skills... even if we are decent at them, throughing in the 32nds can get a bit confusing.....

From the OP it sounds very much to me as if they have a big pile of loose sockets and want to put them back in order by size. This is what confused me, because even without looking at the size stamped on the socket, you can tell the order just by looking at them in relation to the other sockets.

FordRhyno
10-15-2012, 03:11 PM
First of all I googled for a socket size chart to get accountability and attain missing sockets. I got this site because of this young posters question. Its disturbing to find so many angry and belligerently hostile responses. As a army man I can appreciate tool accountability and a easy means to it's accomplishment. Absolutely no reason for so many to post such languid responses. Answer the post... said simply. With having 6,8 and 12pt sockets in 1/4, 3/8, and 1/2 sizes... and then in deep well and standard sockets... it a lot to remember with out something to reference if you happen to missing sockets. If I had to deal with this as a Staff Sergeant, a lot of people here would be picking grass out of the rocks in the motor pool and doing push ups. Efficiency is king!

bobemmerich
10-15-2012, 03:39 PM
http://www.vaughns-1-pagers.com/science/wrench-conversion.htm

that list should help you put everything in order. At the end of the day, they are just fractions of an inch, so general fraction math is all you need to do to compare them.

That's probably what he's looking for. I'm going to print that out, it's a good conversion. When dealing with different sizes of sockets, sometimes it's hard by eye to see a difference. Cut the OP some slack.

archirelic
10-15-2012, 03:45 PM

It's been happening a lot lately. Threads that are two, three years old w/newbie posters resurrecting them attempting to answer or respond to something that has long since been figured out.

RCStocker
10-15-2012, 03:59 PM
First of all I googled for a socket size chart to get accountability and attain missing sockets. I got this site because of this young posters question. Its disturbing to find so many angry and belligerently hostile responses. As a army man I can appreciate tool accountability and a easy means to it's accomplishment. Absolutely no reason for so many to post such languid responses. Answer the post... said simply. With having 6,8 and 12pt sockets in 1/4, 3/8, and 1/2 sizes... and then in deep well and standard sockets... it a lot to remember with out something to reference if you happen to missing sockets. If I had to deal with this as a Staff Sergeant, a lot of people here would be picking grass out of the rocks in the motor pool and doing push ups. Efficiency is king!

????
If anyone did not learn their fractions in grade school to you think they will get it now? Everyeone that works with them can spot the rigth size socket or wrench without looking. I can and I am not a professional mechanic. When I worked in the machine shops in the 60's I learned the desemal equivalent and never had a problems. I can pick the right nut and bolt out every time. Not that the little ones are getting small and fuzzy with my eyes they are a little harder and I need to turn into MR 4 eyes.

The charts are all over the web. Pull one up and print it out. Post the site.
Every graph and chart you will ever need is on here. If one is not smart enought to know how to lookit up then they are not smart enough to use the tools.

I always wondered why they did not mark all the tools in sixteenths like 2/16, 4/16, 5/16. that would really be a no brainer but NOOOOO they had to reduce it like they wrere taught. I once asked the teacher if he wanted it in the simpler form because he could not remember the answer. LOL I really did. We all know why because when you punch in the number into a formula there are less nubers to mess with. Now with math cad and a TI92 caulator the math world goes everywhere with you. No more trig tables and slide rules. Yes, I still know houw to use them.

If you can't remember the fractions in tool set you need to apply for disability.:lol_hitti

What eveyone should know is that 3 square socket is not the same as a 12 point socket. They are different and you can read about it on the Snap-on web site. Different angles, same mumber of points.

There are so many more sizes in metric and they are closer together. They are much harder for me to tell what size but SAE is a no brainer.

03protege
10-15-2012, 04:01 PM
It's been happening a lot lately. Threads that are two, three years old w/newbie posters resurrecting them attempting to answer or respond to something that has long since been figured out.

Whenever I search something on google this site is always near the top of the search results. I don't know if it has to do with google monitoring my cookies/ search history or if this site just ranks really well in search results.

Kevin54
10-15-2012, 04:13 PM
It's getting close to Halloween and the Zombies are coming out.

03protege
10-15-2012, 04:22 PM
No more trig tables and slide rules. Yes, I still know houw to use them.

A what?

I can pick the right metric size by eye balling but for SAE I don't have the slightest clue. Sometimes I compare the metric size I think it is to 25.4mm in my head and that gets me in the right area.

Notwerk
10-15-2012, 04:34 PM
http://marielgzlz.files.wordpress.com/2010/05/double-tap.jpg

Someone needs to double-tap this thread. It keeps coming back from the dead...

Where's Woody Harrelson when you need him?

billybudge
10-15-2012, 05:28 PM
I am wanting to get my (late father's) sockets in order by size. I am asking if someone can post the sizes for me or give me a web site? Thanks

I have to be honest to say that I am very dissapointed with the amount of negative coments made on this post in reply to what seems to be a legit question,
A guy wants to organise his LATE FATHERS sockets, which is a superb thing to do, well done,I admire you wanting to do that, Your Farther would be proud of you, just email me mate and I will send you a full detailled list of sizes with no problems,
It appears that a lot of you guys is America only have experience in Imperial / SAE AF sizes for sockets, which is cool,
In England we use mainly metric. now I have been mechanic for over 20 years,
I have a massive range of sockets, not just a full set standard size, also deep socket, plus the same again in impact, plus a lot of special sizes,again in 1/4, 3/8, 1/2. 3/4 and 1inch drive.
So , not only a full set of imperial AF sockets. also whitworth, also BA, and most importantly Metric, at least 300 sockets, now if these all get a little mixed up, and I am no longer on the planet, it will take someone a long while to sort these out,
so lets have less of the negative comments, thank you,

TwoInch
10-15-2012, 05:42 PM
What eveyone should know is that 3 square socket is not the same as a 12 point socket. They are different and you can read about it on the Snap-on web site. Different angles, same mumber of points.

and out in far left field....

this has been hashed out many times. and considering a triple square is a bit socket, and a 12pt is a female socket, it would be hard to confuse the two.

an 8pt is not a double square, and a 12pt is not a double hex. chew on that for a bit.

wrenchr
10-15-2012, 05:43 PM
Also if they are old sockets he might have alot of 32nd sizes.

greasemonkey44
10-15-2012, 07:38 PM
yeah im not so hot at standard increments either, the other guy sees everything in fractions
most cars are designed in metric with metric everything so i think in metric
when i have to swap its very strange, you have to count up and reduce
and then you can get into 32 sizes and you arent that good at recognizing damn strandard sizes anyway..........
also old thread, downside to telling everyone to search for answers

tkonetzke
10-15-2012, 08:35 PM
I had people tell me that metric is easier, I deal with both frequently. Mostly standard but enough metric to be proficient. My biggest complaint about metric is you can have an 8mm bolt with a 12mm head and a 15mm nut. Wtf? Very rare for sae

Alchymist
10-15-2012, 09:03 PM
I have a massive range of sockets, not just a full set standard size, also deep socket, plus the same again in impact, plus a lot of special sizes,again in 1/4, 3/8, 1/2. 3/4 and 1inch drive.

Still amuses me that even metric socket sets are imperial drive sizes. :lol_hitti

AZ_Catskinner
10-15-2012, 11:05 PM
I had people tell me that metric is easier, I deal with both frequently. Mostly standard but enough metric to be proficient. My biggest complaint about metric is you can have an 8mm bolt with a 12mm head and a 15mm nut. Wtf? Very rare for sae

Once you get into structural and fixed plant stuff, nuts being bigger than the bolt heads is pretty standard. For example, the ubiquitous 5/8" bolt uses a 15/16" head, but a 1-1/16" "heavy" nut.

seagull369
03-14-2014, 03:20 PM
From small to large, these are the typical sizes that are available in SAE (inch) socket sets these days:

5/32, 3/16, 7/32, 1/4, 9/32, 5/16, 11/32, 3/8, 7/16, 1/2, 9/16, 5/8, 11/16, 3/4, 13/16, 7/8, 15/16, 1.

I have seen other fractional sizes within this list (namely 13/64, 15/64, 13/32, 15/32, 21/32, 25/32 and I'm sure plenty of others), but you don't see them much and aren't commonly included in the average set sold.

Beyond 1", the sizes I've typically seen available from small to large:

1-1/16, 1-1/8, 1-3/16, 1-1/4, 1-5/16, 1-3/8, 1-7/16.

I know the original question has already been answered more or less but I thought it might be helpful for someone to have tangible list.

Leaflessshadetree
03-14-2014, 09:17 PM
If this project has taken 15 months the OP would probably be better off trading those sockets for a few adjustable wrenches.

bcradio
03-14-2014, 09:25 PM

What happened to this guy? been a year since he logged in?

ibedayank
03-15-2014, 06:01 AM
since nobody else can figure out what to post....

http://www.dansmc.com/wrench_referance.jpg