View Full Version : Preventing Battery Terminal Corrosion?

eborcim
11-06-2009, 10:14 AM
What methods have you all used to prevent battery terminal/cable corrosion? This is for a 2002 Ford Escape negative terminal on a top post battery. I'm thinking about replacing the terminal end plus a new battery and then coating the setup with something to seal it. Will this work to prevent the overabundant corrosion?

dolfans
11-06-2009, 10:19 AM
I put a penny on my battery to draw the corrosion. You can use baking soda and water to clean it and also coca cola. That also will get ice off of winshields(coca cola)

Zrexxer
11-06-2009, 10:26 AM
For top post batteries I've had good luck with the green and red felt washers that you buy at the auto parts store. I usually give the terminals a shot of the spray you can get there too, although silicone dielectric grease works just as well.

Kevin54
11-06-2009, 11:11 AM
There is a red spray they sell to coat the post to prevent corrosion. And for the life of me I can't remember the name at the moment. My nephew turned me on to it a few years ago and it works great. As soon as I remember I'll post it.

tube_guy
11-06-2009, 11:25 AM
I've used Maxima brand Chain Wax on mine for about 15 years or so and have had great luck. It's a motorcycle chain lubricant that hardens into a waxy film. Clean the battery terminals with baking soda and water mixture, coat with the chain wax and let dry. Battery terminal corrosion won't reappear.

http://www.maximausa.com/products/chainlubes/chainwax.asp

3798j
11-06-2009, 11:36 AM
I coat with petroleum jelly. Doesn't take much. No corrosion.

Mr. E
11-06-2009, 11:36 AM
Dialectric grease. You can get it at any auto parts store.

nate379
11-06-2009, 12:39 PM
Gell battery. Optima, Orbital, etc.

The 6 year old Blue Top from my Jeep was so clean the guy at Costco thought it was the new battery when I brought it in for the core.

GTO
11-06-2009, 01:59 PM
IIRC Permatex makes this blue shit.I can't for the life of me remember the name of it.It comes in small spray cans.

ImportTuner
11-06-2009, 02:27 PM
There is a red spray they sell to coat the post to prevent corrosion. And for the life of me I can't remember the name at the moment. My nephew turned me on to it a few years ago and it works great. As soon as I remember I'll post it.

I also use the red spray .. made by CRC and is called battery terminal protector .. the felt washers also help ..

Jared
11-06-2009, 03:10 PM
I have heard fluid film works good for this havent tried it myself as i havent had problems with corrosion on battery cables before.

jayoldschool
11-06-2009, 03:21 PM
I use dilectric grease.

Cubby
11-06-2009, 05:35 PM
I use dieletric grease but Vaseline works too.

tcianci
11-06-2009, 06:20 PM
As a kid, we always just coated them with wheel bearing grease, Geez, ever since side terminal batteries I had pretty much forgotten about that problem. (of course I forget about lots of other things these days too!)

Schrodingers Cat
11-06-2009, 06:27 PM

+1

just make sure every thing is clean and tight, a very light even coating will do it

Mark-in-NH
11-06-2009, 06:30 PM
Yup, I agree with the other Patroleum Jelly / Vasoline posts.
My grandfather used it, my father used it, and I have used it for years.

robert mitchell
11-06-2009, 06:34 PM
I have heard fluid film works good for this havent tried it myself as i havent had problems with corrosion on battery cables before.

Paint top post with clear finger nail polish

srmofo
11-06-2009, 06:45 PM
I hate all the A-holes who put the whole jar of vaseline on your terminals and then bring the vehicle to me for a battery change.....seriously I hate you

I just use dielectric grease cause thats what I have around the garage. I use it in every connection on my plow truck

Fedwrench
11-06-2009, 07:03 PM
I use a little dielectric grease but, I apply a thin film of it to the top of the battery around the base of each post. I am not a fan of high tack (red), that other blue crap, or anything sprayed on the terminals. The crap will seep between the post and cable end regardless of how tight it is, and cause issues later. Coatings are also a pain if you have to jump start a vehicle but, that's just me.:beer:

Charles (in GA)
11-06-2009, 07:11 PM

I too have used Vaseline. I now use Dow 4 silicone, which is a di-electric. In any case, I haven't had corrosion on a battery terminal in years.

Charles

Mark-in-NH
11-06-2009, 07:12 PM
I hate all the A-holes who put the whole jar of vaseline on your terminals and then bring the vehicle to me for a battery change.....seriously I hate you

Personally, I have never used a "whole jar" of vasoline. A thin, light coating is all it takes and all I have ever used.

Torque1st
11-06-2009, 09:12 PM
Pull the terminal.
Remove the bolt.
If you have a universal terminal unbolt the cable connection.
Clean the terminal, bolt, and post, etc with baking soda solution.
Scrape the surfaces with a battery terminal tool.
Rinse well and let dry.
Put a thin coating of silicone dielectric on the top of the battery around the post.
Smear the post with silicone dielectric.
Smear the terminal and bolt(s) with dielectric.
Put on one of those red or green felt washers.
Replace the terminal and connection if applicable.
Spray the terminal with white lithium grease.

One of the problems battery terminals have is the acid gets into the terminal to wire connection and corrodes the connection inside. The baking soda rinse helps this situation but the best method is prevention. -Solder the wire to the terminal. :thumbup:

srmofo
11-06-2009, 10:00 PM
Personally, I have never used a "whole jar" of vasoline. A thin, light coating is all it takes and all I have ever used.

I wasnt refering to you in paticular, but I have on several occasions come across people that feel the need to cover the entire terminal in a glob of vaseline. It really makes me wonder wtf.:beer:

Underdog
11-06-2009, 10:52 PM

+1 Fluid Film works on all my trucks and tractors.

ImportTuner
11-07-2009, 12:54 AM
+1 Fluid Film works on all my trucks and tractors.

First time I heard of Fluid Film .. "Fluid Film is formulated from specially processed wool-wax, highly refined petroleum oils and selected agents to provide corrosion control, penetration, metal wetting and water displacement."

autoace
11-07-2009, 02:09 AM
I also use the red spray .. made by CRC and is called battery terminal protector .. the felt washers also help ..

Right on the money!:thumbup:

Kevin54
11-07-2009, 04:39 AM
Found it. It's made by CRC http://www.usahardware.com/products/manufacturers/images/j0312017.gif

nissan_crawler
11-07-2009, 05:08 AM
Found it. It's made by CRC http://www.usahardware.com/products/manufacturers/images/j0312017.gif

yep, good stuff.

nate379
11-07-2009, 05:17 AM
I tried grease once and to begin with dirt would stick to it. Everytime I worked on that vehicle I somehow managed to get grease on me from the damn battery. No I didn't put a metric assload on it, just a little bit... but it was like antisieze, it got everyone somehow!

The spray works good, but if you need to jumpstart something it doesn't work out so well.

nate379
11-07-2009, 05:18 AM
I tried grease once and to begin with dirt would stick to it. Everytime I worked on that vehicle I somehow managed to get grease on me from the damn battery. No I didn't put a metric assload on it, just a little bit... but it was like antisieze, it got everyone somehow!

The spray works good, but if you need to jumpstart something it doesn't work out so well.

The sealed batteries are the ticket. At $100 for a Red Top it's not even work fawking around with anything else unless an Optima won't fit or it's just an old junker that isn't worth putting a good battery in it.

nissan_crawler
11-07-2009, 05:37 AM
AFter my original optimas that went 5-6 years, I had 4 of them fail in less than a year each, and 3 orbitals fail in less than a year each. I threw walmart batteries in both vehicles, going strong for 5 years.

I'm not impressed with the gel cells at all anymore.

ddawg16
11-07-2009, 06:42 AM
I don't have anything on mine....they stay clean as new.....

Maybe it's that great CA weather.....

Mark-in-NH
11-07-2009, 07:07 AM
I wasnt refering to you in paticular, but I have on several occasions come across people that feel the need to cover the entire terminal in a glob of vaseline. It really makes me wonder wtf.:beer:

Would that be the same people that fill their tires with slime and then don't bother to tell the service tech ?

brwbier
11-07-2009, 07:17 AM
After reading through this thread I belive that almost anything you have on hand that will seal out the air will work. I have had succes with "disc quiet", red stuff in a spray can cause it was what I had at the time.
Brwbier

krusty the clown
11-07-2009, 07:42 AM

i also use the CRC battery cleaner when i service a battery. it has a dye in it that turns red when it comes in contact with acid, so you can tell that all the acid has been removed. if you get all of the acid off before you apply the protector you'll have less corrosion later.

Need4racin
11-07-2009, 09:54 AM
The red battery terminal protectant you spray out of the can only seems to last 2-3 months. The battery terminal cleaner seems to work pretty good though.

Next time I think I'm going to use wheel bearing grease. Dielectric grease costs too much.