View Full Version : What to do with old Sash Weights?

gahrajmahal
11-10-2009, 10:37 AM
My son and I are working on his kitchen remodeling project. We replaced his dining room double-hung windows with a 5 ft. wide set of French Doors. (found at Lowes for less than $400). After the demolition we have a nice pile of Sash Weights. I hate to just haul them down to the scrapyard if there are any cool projects to be made from them. Please post your suggestions, examples and photos if you have them.

Junkman
11-10-2009, 10:50 AM
Sash weights are getting hard to find. I needed a few to be used as a counter balance for a hatchway that goes to the attic in my home. It took me about 10 years before I fond them when a friend was having an old house remodeled. They are great for being a counter balance for anything that you want to reduce the stress of opening by countering the weight factor.

mooman
11-10-2009, 11:03 AM
Take them to a local tackle store so he can melt them down into jigs and weights.

Falcon67
11-10-2009, 11:12 AM
Tie 'em to that mis-behaving dog ;)

Junkman
11-10-2009, 11:17 AM
Take them to a local tackle store so he can melt them down into jigs and weights.

sash weights are made of cast iron, not lead........ :lol_hitti

KenBaker
11-10-2009, 11:29 AM
I have seen a lot of them that were Lead

gahrajmahal
11-10-2009, 11:50 AM
The ones we have are definitely cast iron. No one has mentioned "boat anchor" yet.

Falcon67
11-10-2009, 11:54 AM
They are sought after trot line weights down here.

kbs2244
11-10-2009, 12:19 PM
My boys used them for exercise weights.

Gary S
11-10-2009, 02:15 PM

Leave them as-is and fish for bigger fish.:)

eborcim
11-10-2009, 02:24 PM
You could repurpose them on a stubborn door that will not stay closed...or maybe as a theft deterrent key ring like at a gas station...how about some mongo wind chimes?

Speaking of lead, we had a counterweight in a dismantled explosion-resistant hood that weighed about 75lbs!

kartracer23
11-10-2009, 03:03 PM
I've got about 30 of them I'm using to keep a milk crate from floating away...

buddyboy
11-10-2009, 03:04 PM
funny you guys mention fishing.

my dad used old steel sash weights as boat anchors. When I was 10 or 12 years old I was helping an uncle pull apart a wall and said, "hey, some fool used these boat anchors to hold up these windows!"

sometimes you think you know everything

NUTTSGT
11-10-2009, 05:06 PM
If you have a local place that sells old house parts, I'd take them there, maybe make a few bucks. Otherwise, they would be getting recycled into the scrapyard.

D.J.
11-10-2009, 05:13 PM
I vote for either the trot line weights or weld a couple of crossed rods on the bottom for hoop net weights also in my area they are always cast iron!
________
Cat Wheel (http://www.catwheelcompany.com/)

bimmer1980
11-10-2009, 05:17 PM
put them on ebay as "vintage window sash weights"...... some house renovator or historic person might want them......

manrmark
11-10-2009, 05:22 PM
Sell them on Ebay? I just did a search and 4 of them sold for a range of 9.95-20.50 plus shipping.

billspit
11-10-2009, 05:28 PM
Yup, we used them for boat anchors.

Ashamsi
11-10-2009, 05:29 PM
Sell them on Ebay? I just did a search and 4 of them sold for a range of 9.95-20.50 plus shipping.

People will buy anything on E-Bay

Costner
11-10-2009, 06:11 PM
Package them up and sell them in the classifieds as "Lazy man tent stakes". No hammer needed to install or remove.

Use them in a weight box on the back of a garden tractor with a snowblower.

Connect one to the power cord of any tool you never want anyone to borrow.

Paint your favorite NFL team logo on them and when your friends ask you what they are tell them the running backs on your team strap them to their legs to level the playing field. Without them they were just too darn fast.

Collect those "Business Reply Mail" cards from pre-paid credit card offers and tape them to a box holding a few of them. Drop off at any post office.

Use them as a counterweight for a garden gate...no more pets getting out because someone forgot to latch the gate.

Sell them to hot air balloonists as ballast.

tcianci
11-10-2009, 08:40 PM
A guy I know owns a hardware store in a part of town where there are still lots of old houses. He gets them from people and sells them.

gahrajmahal
11-11-2009, 10:37 AM
Thanks to all, I was hoping to get a few humorous suggestions. Actually Adam had thought about the wind chime idea as they have a nice tone if you bump them together. He thought about drilling holes in them to change the pitch. It's gonna take a helluva big wind to make the music. We will see what becomes of them...must focus on kitchen!

ironroad 9c1
11-11-2009, 10:41 AM
yea, they are history, don't send em to China.

rwhite692
11-11-2009, 10:48 AM
....Sell them to hot air balloonists as ballast....

In a similar vein I was going to suggest shipping them off to that Balloon Boy Nut-Job and Family.

jwith68
11-11-2009, 10:59 AM
They are sought after trot line weights down here.

:thumbup: In Missouri as well...

malibu101
11-11-2009, 12:15 PM
Collect those "Business Reply Mail" cards from pre-paid credit card offers and tape them to a box holding a few of them. Drop off at any post office.

I like that.:bounce:
I usually read the mail while eating supper in the evening. When it comes to junk mail I often times take everything that was in the envelope, including the envelope, tear off anything that can ID me and stuff it all in the pre-paid response envelope and drop it back in the mailbox.
I never thought of trying to send them something other than the junk they sent me but now I'm thinking.

GreyOwl
11-11-2009, 12:58 PM
I like that.:bounce:
I usually read the mail while eating supper in the evening. When it comes to junk mail I often times take everything that was in the envelope, including the envelope, tear off anything that can ID me and stuff it all in the pre-paid response envelope and drop it back in the mailbox.
I never thought of trying to send them something other than the junk they sent me but now I'm thinking.

I have done that in the past. I was getting 3-4 aweek from one place when I decided to start sending them back. After about a month of sending them back I didn't get any more. I left my name on them so they would know who sent them back tho. Junk from that company stopped dead. Now I need to do it to some more.

Charles

malibu101
11-11-2009, 01:04 PM
I have done that in the past. I was getting 3-4 aweek from one place when I decided to start sending them back. After about a month of sending them back I didn't get any more. I left my name on them so they would know who sent them back tho. Junk from that company stopped dead. Now I need to do it to some more.

Charles
I never included anything with my ID on it for fear that they would sign me up for whatever they were selling/offering. Thanks for your real world experience.

Now, back to what to do with old sash weights.........
Besides sending them to credit card companies. :)

pipehack
11-11-2009, 01:13 PM
I've seen people use them to keep their pool covers down .

nickleone
11-11-2009, 06:57 PM
If you have small boat docks near by. The boat owners use them with pulleys to make their permanent lines retract to the mooring posts when they release the lines. Find the local boat club and the local supplier of all things nautical and you might make a sale.

Nick

kvom
11-12-2009, 08:27 AM
A lot of the newer ones are cast steel, and pretty worthless.

The good cast iron ones have value. One use is by model engine makers to machine the blocks. I would like to find a few myself for that purpose.