View Full Version : how to rid garage of bugs and spiders?

maximus96
07-13-2006, 11:38 AM
after moving in the new house we come to find a lot of spiders in the garage. the garage is not dirty but is clustered with a bunch of moving boxes still around. I see mostly daddy-longlegs hiding in corners. i suck them up with a shopvac when i see them. whats the best way to keep them out. is it possible to seal the garage somehow? there are two big vent holes or some kind of opening about 6"x12" by the bottom of one wall cover with wiremesh and i wonder if they crawl in from there. maybe i can seal them some how.

my goal is mainly to prevent new spiders and the occassional ear-wick from coming in. after we unpack and empty the garage i plan to keep it clean so i can have my own space. i'd hate to run into spiderwebs while working on the cars. i don't want to do these bug bombs because i worry it might somehow affect our 7 month old daughter. i use the trusty shop vac for bug elimination but need some idea to keep them out.

do they make spider sprays like they do for ants? i don't recall seeing any in home depot. if they do maybe i can spray along the openings into the garage...

PAToyota
07-13-2006, 12:15 PM
I've had good luck with this product: http://www.gemplers.com/a/shop/product.asp?T1=G77371&UID=200607131230318904345133

But if there are ways for bugs to get in, they will get in. Multi-purpose sprays around the perimeter can help as well.

BearHit
07-13-2006, 12:16 PM
That's what I did...

I forget the name - but I got it at Lowe's or HD. Spray the ground-level perimeter - inside and out - and then only have to vacuum the window sills preiodically.

REFLEXX
07-13-2006, 12:23 PM
The most entertaining way I've found is the Bug Zappers at Harbor Freight. There's the long reach one (below) and the one that's like a tennis racket. The flies and spiders literally snap like they hit a real bug zapper. It's so much fun that now my kids do all the "dirty" work.

the intimidator
07-13-2006, 12:39 PM
ya know your'e a redneck when you can entertain yourself for a hour with a bug zapper with out zappin a bug dont laugh I have done it :headscrat

I have a spider spray that you spray around the wall's and roof line that kill's the spider's ant's earwig's ect It work's real well I'll go out and find the name of it later on today it is in the garage somewhere

mleichtle
07-13-2006, 12:42 PM
Brake cleaner on the big nasty ones, seeing the carnage helps you feel better.

maximus96
07-13-2006, 12:50 PM
i wouldn't want to spray brake cleaner on the walls tho. thanks for the suggestions. i'll try to look for a spider spray again next time i go to homedepot.

maximus96
07-13-2006, 12:52 PM
That's what I did...

I forget the name - but I got it at Lowe's or HD. Spray the ground-level perimeter - inside and out - and then only have to vacuum the window sills preiodically.

how long does each spray application last?

sjsfire
07-13-2006, 01:00 PM
I've had good luck with Ortho Home Defense, comes in a gallon jug with a coiled hose and trigger spary. $9-$13 depending on where you buy it. Got it last summer and just ran out last week.

the intimidator
07-13-2006, 01:13 PM
the stuff I have is made by wilson It is called pro arsenol insecticide It worked well in my room when a shitload of spider's hatched they were all gone within 15 minutes. I cant seem to find it on there website but I did find a spidercide spider killer http://www.wilson.nu-gro.com/products/product_e.php?prodID=81&category=27

Ign
07-13-2006, 01:54 PM
First, yeah brake cleaner rocks

Second, are the perimeter sprays safe for pets?

the intimidator
07-13-2006, 02:04 PM
the stuff I have say's to cover the fish and remove pet's for one hour doesn't say that it is bad for them after the hour :headscrat

McVicker
07-14-2006, 09:20 PM
To initially rid the garage of all little insects HD sells a "bug bomb" You basically put it in the middle of the room and set it off. Make sure you close all windows and vents, and after an hour you open all doors and windows to let it vent. Then follow up with some of that ortho home defense around the perimeter.

-Dan

rburge58
07-14-2006, 09:35 PM
I live in south Louisiana next to the woods/swamp and have a big problem with spiders. I have found one product that works very well with keeping spiders and such away for up to 3 or 4 months, Demon WP. Here is a link to it-
http://www.pestproducts.com/demonwp.htm

Works very well

Richard

jfelbab
07-15-2006, 06:55 PM
I use a product from NOTT called "Spider-NOT". It's an aerosol spray that is nearly odorless and lasts for 2-3 months. Completely effective.
http://www.nottproducts.com/spidernot/spidernot.jpg

chrislib
07-15-2006, 07:53 PM
As long as the garage is NOT attached to the house, just fire up a car (the older `n` smellier the exhaust the better) close the door and let it run for a few hours, the carbon monoxide will kill anything in there.

Charles (in GA)
07-15-2006, 09:13 PM
As someone noted, the DemonWP (for Wettable Powder) is quite effective on almost all common insects. It is pillow packs sealed in a foil package. You put the pillow packs in water in a sprayer, allow it to dissolve and spray. Very effective and I use it in the house only every two or three years. Any bug that walks thru the powder is dead.

Spiders do not clean themselves like other insects and the DemonWP instructions say to double the strength (or half the water) of what is required for other applications. I have used it around the walls, corners and under workbenches in the shop and found it effective.

Find a do-it-yourself pest control store. This is a regulated product so you won't find it just anywhere. Also available on the internet, search Google for Demon WP

Charles