View Full Version : Moving heavy items into basement shop

mhulbrock
12-22-2009, 03:25 PM
Hello, Im looking for some ideas with a simple, yet annoying problem I have. My ranch home has a attached 4 car that was added on.
I have a small work shop in the basement of the home, but there is no direct access from the garage to the basement.
I would like to move a spare engine into the basement, to clear out some much needed space in the garage.
Any ideas on how to move heavy things down some basement stair? They are you typical narrow stairs, only 1 person at a time can go down them.

One strange idea i had. Mount a electric winch to my engine hoist, and remove 3 or 4 stairs at the top. Lower the motor down through the hole

-Mark

gahrajmahal
12-22-2009, 03:39 PM
Sounds like you solved it!

Torque1st
12-22-2009, 03:43 PM
You might want to think again. it is a lot easier to get heavy objects down into the basement than it is to get them up again later...
Think Hoarders. ;)

But if you must:
I put in a couple of 2x4 runners on the stairs and used a small cart with 4 old lawnmower wheels tied to a block and tackle. Just make sure there are enough people downstairs to handle the load since it is tough climbing over it.

Zrexxer
12-22-2009, 03:45 PM
There's always the three step method:

1. Give huge shove
2. Duck and cringe
3. Wait for crashing to stop and dust to clear

:D

Zeke
12-22-2009, 03:58 PM
Sounds like you solved it!

Or some variation of that theme. I made a "freight elevator" that went up to a mezzanine storage with a chain fall.

JamieK
12-22-2009, 04:14 PM
Two people and a refrigerator dolly would be a fast, easy way.

Ray-CA
12-22-2009, 06:44 PM
Do you have a winch? Try mounting the engine to some block(s) of wood, then to a plywood base or to some 2x4 skids. Then, use the winch to lower the motor down stairs and again to pull it back up.

Ray

mhulbrock
12-24-2009, 03:08 PM
I like that idea Ray, simple!

TONE
12-24-2009, 03:11 PM
you got an eggress window?

Vernmotor
12-24-2009, 04:20 PM
you got an eggress window?

I have to ask what the hell is that ??

Stuart in MN
12-24-2009, 04:31 PM
An egress window is a basement window that's large enough for a person to get through. For instance, if you have a bedroom in a basement it needs to have an egress window so occupants can get out in case there's a fire.

As far as the engine goes, I think the refrigerator dolly is the simplest answer, but a a winch and skids would work as well. Before you do anything make sure the staircase is strong enough to hold the engine...is it a Chrysler Hemi or a Volkswagen?

pgreen
12-24-2009, 05:08 PM
I moved a 500lb bandsaw down the stairs of my previous house all by myself with a simple 2-wheel dolly. Be sure to strap it down to the dolly so it can't move, then go slow, one step at a time. If you put runners on the steps, you are completely committed, and no break for you. With the steps in place, you just go slowly one step at a time. If you have another person, send them down first to help support the load and ease the transition to each step.

tdkkart
12-24-2009, 05:26 PM
I wish I could find it, but somewhere out there is a story of a guy with a machine shop in his basement. He had already managed to get several machines down the basement stairs, but then was faced with the dilema of how to get a large milling machine into his basement shop.

He devised a method.
1st step was to find an excuse to send his wife away for a couple days.

2nd step was to cut a large hole in the floor of the dining area of the kitchen.

3rd, remove patio door.

4th, poke milling machine through patio door with a forklift.

5th, lower machine through the floor with a hoist

6th, repair kitchen floor, including installing the new laminate flooring his wife wanted so badly.

Done............

tstukel
12-24-2009, 05:26 PM
I moved a 500lb bandsaw down the stairs of my previous house all by myself with a simple 2-wheel dolly. Be sure to strap it down to the dolly so it can't move, then go slow, one step at a time. If you put runners on the steps, you are completely committed, and no break for you. With the steps in place, you just go slowly one step at a time. If you have another person, send them down first to help support the load and ease the transition to each step......and to cushion the fall.

pgreen
12-24-2009, 06:53 PM
...and to cushion the fall.

Well, yeah, that was a given!

the spyder
12-24-2009, 08:06 PM
I wish I could find it, but somewhere out there is a story of a guy with a machine shop in his basement. He had already managed to get several machines down the basement stairs, but then was faced with the dilema of how to get a large milling machine into his basement shop.

He devised a method.

2nd step was to cut a large hole in the floor of the dining area of the kitchen.

3rd, remove patio door.

6th, repair kitchen floor, including installing the new laminate flooring his wife wanted so badly.

Done............

Now thats something I would do! :thumbup:

rsanter
12-24-2009, 08:19 PM
for what you are doing, I would do the appliance dolly and friend to help.

another option I have seen is that a guy who wanted a machine shop in the basement dug an area out next to the house and put up a block wall and concrete pad. installed a door where a window was so he was able to use an Aframe type setup and hoist to lower things down to basement level

bob

Keep
12-24-2009, 08:54 PM
Is the engine complete? In pieces? What engine is it? Is it on an engine stand?

6768rogues
12-24-2009, 10:06 PM
Build a ramp down the stairs. Put the engine on a dolly. Put the wife at the bottom to catch it. Push it over the edge.

Jack Olsen
12-24-2009, 11:32 PM
One of my favorite videos:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lRRDzFROMx0

One of my favorite books:

http://www.amazon.com/Moving-Heavy-Things-Jan-Adkins/dp/0937822825

little d
12-25-2009, 09:04 AM
my wood working shop is in the basement. i have a 4',by 3', by 7' gang box that weighs like a ton, lol, table saw, ect.... that goes up and down, depending on what job im working on. i do pretty much like tourque said, except i use 2 by 8's with cleats on the bottom that match the stair treads, and a hand dolly, and straps. i have a picket fence close so i hook a come-a-long to the posts, and dolly and lower/raise what i need to move like that. one of these days im going to buy one of those portable electric wenches. anyways, i do this my self, and have for years with out any help, and have never had any probs. hope this helps, little d.

tdkkart
12-25-2009, 10:41 AM
i have a picket fence close so i hook a come-a-long to the posts, and dolly and lower/raise what i need to move like that.

I just had visions of a picket fence chasing you and a table saw down the basement stairs!!!:lol_hitti

little d
12-25-2009, 12:58 PM
lol, ya i guess it might if the posts wernt 4' in the ground in concrete. that is a pretty silly picture though, he, he, he.

tcianci
12-25-2009, 02:05 PM
Lay a 2x10 on the steps, skid the engine down the 2x10, no dollys nothing with wheels. You need to leave plenty of friction in the mix so the load can't get away from you. You will be amazed at what you can handle when you have control. If the load still wants to slide even on just a wood plank, attach a rope that is wrapped around a pipe that is bridging the door jambs and play it out a little at a time. I have had ocassion to assemble blocks in my basement. I would just carry them downstairs. I also was dumb enough to carry one back up with the crank and pistons in it. That was over 20 years ago, seems like they were much lighter back then.

NUTTSGT
12-25-2009, 03:04 PM

He devised a method.

3rd, remove patio door.

Done............

I think I've heard this story before.

Seriously, a 4 car garage you you don't have enough room ?

Lay some runner on the steps, strap the engine to a 2 wheel dolly. Anchor a block and tackle to the sill plate with the other end to the dolley. Have a friend run the B&T, while you lay the dolley on it's back and take it down the steps.