View Full Version : Need some HELP with grease!

nate379
12-31-2009, 09:44 PM
I tore the gearbox of my snowblower apart and I need to re-lube it. The grease is a whitish color and fairly thick.

The manual calls for "White Grease Lubri-plate #GR132"

Here is the info on that grease:
http://www.lubriplate.com/pdf/pds/3_4%20GR-132.pdf

What can I substitute this with?? I have been searching on the web for a while and I can't really find solid info on it.

I can buy the recommended grease, but it's $18 for a 14oz can, and while they say free shipping to continental US, somehow Alaska is not included it that. :confused:

ghnl
12-31-2009, 09:52 PM
MY guess is to use a white lithium grease. The one in the link you provided indicates it is compatable with plastics. That might be true of all lithium grease or not. Does that matter for your application?

nate379
12-31-2009, 09:56 PM
The gearbox is an aluminum case with a steel worm gear and a bronze driven gear.

I looked at white lithium and everything I could find is NLGI #2, where this Lubriplate is a #1.

I did find some local dealers for Lubriplate, so I'm going to call them tomorrow. Also found they sell it online, $18 for a 14oz can, plus extra shipping to Alaska, even though they say "free shipping to Continuous U.S"

Rigmaster
12-31-2009, 10:39 PM
I can buy the recommended grease, but it's $18 for a 14oz can, and while they say free shipping to continental US, somehow Alaska is not included it that. :confused:

Also found they sell it online, $18 for a 14oz can, plus extra shipping to Alaska, even though they say "free shipping to Continuous U.S"

Continental US/Contiguous US/Lower 48 does NOT include Alaska or Hawaii, ever.

:pimpflash

Here's the best I could find in regards to what GR 132 is:

Date: Fri, 05 Oct 2001 23:15:49 -0700
Subject: Re: Lubricant for QC Gearbox and Gears in General

The Lubriplate product number GR-132, is the functional equivalent of the
Keystone 122 grease. What is special about these lubricants is that they
will "self-feed" back into the gear teeth. With most lubricants, when it
is squeezed out of the meshing teeth, it stays "out", and eventually all
the lubricant is on the outside edges of the gears, and none is on the
meshing portions of the gear teeth. Lubriplate GR-132 feeds itself back
into the teeth, so there is a constant circulation of lubricant into the
meshing teeth. It is a remarkable product and makes a big difference on
whatever kinds/types of gear teeth it is used on. It is specified for use
on both plastic and metallic gears. HTH.

Chris

EDIT: here's some more info:

http://forum.doityourself.com/outdoor-power-equipment-small-engines/288585-craftsman-snowblower-auger-gearbox-lubricant.html

ZRX61
12-31-2009, 11:48 PM
We use Lubri-Plate in aviation, it's the dogs bollocks :) A can will last years.

nate379
01-01-2010, 01:40 AM
I guess I'm just going to buy the Lubriplate.

It's expensive, but not as expensive as the gearbox so I'm not going to chance it!

Continental US is all of the United States in North America, which includes Alaska. Contiguous or "Lower 48" does not.