View Full Version : Hanging stuff on cement block walls without drilling holes.

TheGrooveking
02-09-2010, 01:01 PM
One of my garages 32 x 24 is finished and the walls are painted cement block. Unfortunately the ceiling is drywalled and there is no easy way to hang stuff on. I was contemplating build some type of frame and putting pegbaord over it all along the walls from ceiling to about 3' high, but again I don't want to be drilling into the blocks. Have any of you guys ran across this, how did you handle it? I was thinking of extending the runners down from the joists but really don't want to hang all of that weight on them. What do you guys recommend?

TheGrooveking

little d
02-09-2010, 01:31 PM
groove, i've never done it but, i dont see why you couldent use shelving brackets, the L type, attach to the peg board and to the ceiling joist.

JamieK
02-09-2010, 02:15 PM
Glue sleepers to the wall with constuction adhesive and attach pegboard to those? Just a thought.

BioHazard
02-09-2010, 02:43 PM
They have these fancy things called concrete nails...it's a hard, pointy peice of steel you put up against the wall and hit with a hammer. Works every time...

BreBar21
02-09-2010, 03:11 PM
Why are you opposed to drilling into the block?

CoryB
02-09-2010, 03:28 PM
I have a cinder-block garage. Everything I've attached to the walls is done with masonry anchors. Just get a masonry drill bit and it goes very easily.

When I pull the anchors out I fill the holes with spackling compound, paint and you can't tell there was anything there.

neverenoughtools
02-09-2010, 03:41 PM
Glue sleepers to the wall with constuction adhesive and attach pegboard to those? Just a thought.

X2:lol_hitti

69supercj
02-09-2010, 03:50 PM
I vote for gluing boards to the wall with liquid nails or equivalant.

TheGrooveking
02-09-2010, 04:05 PM
Why are you opposed to drilling into the block?

Because for a few reasons, one it degrades the wall very slighty from a structural standpoint and two re-sale value. Nobody like to see holes, even patched holes in walls when they are buying a place. Even though I am not planning on moving anytime soon, one must plan for any possible scenario.

TheGrooveking

Rollman
02-09-2010, 04:53 PM
You could build a false wall using 2x3's with 16" centers and anchor it top and bottom then cover it with your choice of materials . That way its simple to remove.

DHCrocks
02-09-2010, 05:02 PM
I don't think an adhesive will hold on especially since you have painted walls, there is just not enough for it to grab onto. Even if the adhesive holds the paint will not and it will just peel off. If you must I would try gorilla glue, polyurethane glue is good stuff, but scrape off all paint where it wil be in contact with the wood.

Justanoldguy
02-09-2010, 06:00 PM
Because for a few reasons, one it degrades the wall very slighty from a structural standpoint and two re-sale value. Nobody like to see holes, even patched holes in walls when they are buying a place. Even though I am not planning on moving anytime soon, one must plan for any possible scenario.

TheGrooveking

Why on earth would you even want to pull down all the pegboard when you move?
The new owner will just want to put it up again.
Presuming he would have seen it there when looking at buying the house first off.
:lol_hitti:lol_hitti:lol_hitti

TheGrooveking
02-09-2010, 06:32 PM
Why on earth would you even want to pull down all the pegboard when you move?
The new owner will just want to put it up again.
Presuming he would have seen it there when looking at buying the house first off.
:lol_hitti:lol_hitti:lol_hitti

Some people, not like those around here may not like pegboard. When I sold one of my last houses the new owner hated the pegboard along the back wall.

TheGrooveking

willymakeit
02-09-2010, 06:41 PM
Holes can be patched with mortar. You see this in load bearing masonry structures. This is simply part of the process. Simple to do and a quick repaint when you sell. All of the suggestions are fine. Decide what you want to repair when it is removed.

tcianci
02-09-2010, 06:59 PM
Guy, you're obsessing a wee bit too much! It's your house for pete's sake. Just do what you want and screw what someone else might think of it (if ever). Ask yourself...would some pegboard on a wall or some spackled holes in a freakin garage, be a showstopper for you if you were in the market for a property? I doubt it.

TheGrooveking
02-09-2010, 07:14 PM
I may be freaking a little too much but I am okay with you guys bringing the supplies over, mounting them and painting them while I watch.

TheGrooveking

regguy1
02-09-2010, 07:17 PM
I vote for gluing boards to the wall with liquid nails or equivalant.

When you want to take it down or move it I think that would leave a much worse looking area than a couple of holes that are easily filled ??

Drill your holes in the mortar lines and avoid the blocks....?

i4ni
02-09-2010, 08:11 PM
I Use TapCon Screws if I need to fasten to the block it'self. They come with a masonry bit,are easy to use and remove.They can be used in mortar joints but may not hold as well.There Are a lot of masonry fasteners to choose from and most are easy to install and are removable if need be.Be sure to size according to weight limits.

Shadowdog500
02-09-2010, 08:16 PM
I've drilled holes into the concrete between the blocks. I think it is easier to make invisible repairs in concrete than block.

Chris

djd99
02-09-2010, 08:41 PM
I have attached 2x4's length wise with tapcon screws in mine. Holds up really well.

TheGrooveking
02-09-2010, 09:11 PM
I think I have it, I am going to use a piece of 1/4" thick 2" x 2" aluminum angle. I'll mount one flange against the ceiling to the joists using 1/4" lags with washers and the other will be in back of the pegboard, holding the pegboard 1/2" off of the wall to allow access for pegs to swing during mounting. This way the joists right near the wall carry the load and I can just put a few pieces of ripped 1/2" plywood along the edges to hold it off the wall also.

The weight of the hung items will push the pegboard against the wall. I'll throw a Tapcon thru a hole in each corner into the block, that'll be minimum. Thanks for the tapcon idea i4ni. This mounting will minimize the amount of space lost to pegboard which is important as that we all know that it is all about cubic inches when it comes to utilizing the space of our garages.

TheGrooveking

doug.j
02-09-2010, 09:17 PM
I've been thinking about mounting a few pieces of unistrut vertically on the wall over the studs with the strut resting on the floor. I would then anchor the top and bottom of the strut to the wall. Then I could mount and remove things without messing up the drywall.

1320stang
02-09-2010, 09:37 PM
Buy old grocery store shelving. You can get it cheap.

mike13u
02-09-2010, 09:46 PM
Tapcons. No degrading of any wall strength. Holes are small enough no one is going to notice and, perhaps most important, you will be hanging things the right way with the correct tool and hardware for exactly the job you describe.

DIC
02-09-2010, 11:38 PM
Make it your garage ,the way you want it now. I would not worry about holes. You can always plug little holes and repaint the walls when the time comes to sell...:dunno:

BioHazard
02-10-2010, 12:24 AM
First of all, if you can't seamlessly fill a small concrete hole, you shouldn't be allowed to use a hammer. Secondly, do you really think some nasty glue marks would be preferable? You can buy mortar patch premixed in a tube just like caulk at Home Depot. Fill the hole with your finger and paint over it, even an expert would never find it.

Vinko
02-10-2010, 05:19 AM
You could build a false wall using 2x3's with 16" centers and anchor it top and bottom then cover it with your choice of materials . That way its simple to remove.
+1 on false wall

1991Syclone
02-10-2010, 01:34 PM
1) Your block walls aren't going to come down simply because you put a few tapcons in it. If that makes you lose sleep at night, perhaps you should check and see how dryer vent lines are run through block walls on homes. That's a 4" hole in the wall, and I have yet to hear about any homes falling down over that one.

2) You're worried about patching holes in the walls, but you'll lag bolt it into the ceiling? I bet you'd find it easier to match the texture on a block wall than you would a textured ceiling when you go to fill the hole when it's time to move.

You should be more concerned about how to anchor it safely than how many holes you're putting where.

BD1
02-10-2010, 02:35 PM
hi,you can use wood with a angle clip at top to screw to the ceiling joist and a clip on the bottom screwed to the wood and drill a anchor into the floor.OR, just wedge the wood between the ceiling and floor. Cut it so it fits tight and tap into place or cut alittle short and use a tapered wedge.

nolatoolguy
02-10-2010, 06:03 PM
about 20 rolls of duct tape should do

nah but in all seriousness

ide just drill into it

i mean if your gonna do it do it the right way

6768rogues
02-10-2010, 07:56 PM
I vote for Tapcons and later remove them and mortar up the holes. What are you going to get, $10 less for your house with repaired holes in CMU?