View Full Version : GFI Outlet: No Wet or damp?

Teken
03-19-2010, 12:08 PM
Just finished installing some out lets in the garage. I wanted to ensure both side walls were protected with a GFI out let. On the outside of the garage the builder has installed the same Cooper *Shock Sentry* units as I have inside the garage. Only difference theirs are enclosed into a weather proof casing.

On the one wall (right side) I simply took power from the builders GFI outlet since it was there already and accessible. :thumbup: I simply plugged my wires on the bottom of the unit and wired the rest down stream.

All tested fine with my Fluke DMM with a rock steady 120 VAC. I tested all the outlets using the *Test* button and all shut off as expected. I also took one of my testers and plugged it in to all the outlets and pressed the *test* on the unit and it properly tripped and shut off power at the GFI up stream.

I repeated this whole process with a brand new Cooper Shock Sentry GFI, and all tested fine, and the measurments were the same, rock steady 120 VAC. (Left wall) :bounce:

Now, this is the part that made me pause: The little yellow sticker that covers the *load* terminals indicate that this device can not be installed where it is moist / damp?? :confused: :headscrat

I am at a loss here . . . :( :wtf:

I have two of the exact same brand, style, model GFI in the exterior of the house. One is at the rear of the house, the other is installed at the front outside walk way. This obviously met code, and was complient when it was passed by the inspector! :wtf:

It's outside there will be rain, it will be humid, and it definately will be damp! :mad:

Now the installation of the outlets IN the garage is sheltered and in a confined space (garage). I am sure it will be damp, moist, and wet, hence why I installed these blasted things in the first place so as I don't get elctrocuted if a mishap was to happen! :(

Long story short can someone explain the logic, or the reason these devices are being used, if it's not intended as so???

BTW: All the recepticle box's are metal, all of them are enclosed in a vapor barrier plastic casing, and all are properly grounded. The Cooper Shock Sentry unit is idiot proof, and easy to install and has the added benefits of tamper resistant shutters, end of life lock out, and no power if miswired.

Insight, clarification would be greatly appreciated . . .

mrb
03-19-2010, 12:25 PM
new code / revised UL standard. Devices (including GFCI, receptacles, switches) used in damp / wet locations must be marked WR.

Teken
03-19-2010, 12:34 PM
WR Please clarify? Wet . . . Rrrrrrrrrrrrrrrain? :headscrat

rodnok1
03-19-2010, 01:18 PM
probably water resistant

Teken
03-19-2010, 01:29 PM
Thanks for the clarification guys. Well honestly Lowes, Home Depot, and Rona don't have any of these WR units. Unless they are stored some where else, or behind the counter like all the breakers are. :headscrat

Ahhhhhhhhh, I will just live with what I have . . . I don't see splitting hairs here since it's in the garage unlike the other one's that are outside of the building.

Moving on . . . :thumbup:

Steevo
03-19-2010, 09:29 PM
Where do you live that HD keeps breakers behind a counter?

Teken
03-20-2010, 12:54 AM
Where do you live that HD keeps breakers behind a counter?

Every HD, Lowes, and Rona I have ever been too have their breakers stored in a caged locker . . . The one's in America do not?? :mad: The only thing that is on site is a rotating wheel that has the breakers strapped to a board for the customer to view.

Bull
03-20-2010, 12:58 AM
What country are you in?

The breakers at my local HD are out in the open, in the main electrical aisle.

BioHazard
03-20-2010, 02:06 AM
Are you one of those crazy canadians? Every Home Depot/Lowes around here has so many breakers on display you could walk out with a cart full of them and nobody would notice...

Teken
03-20-2010, 05:19 PM
Are you one of those crazy canadians? Every Home Depot/Lowes around here has so many breakers on display you could walk out with a cart full of them and nobody would notice...

American transplant: Just another Beaver Eater now . . . :thumbup:

marty_p
03-20-2010, 09:59 PM
Always read, understand, and follow your local code!

Now, about those beavers... :pimpflash

Teken
03-21-2010, 01:09 AM
Always read, understand, and follow your local code!

Now, about those beavers... :pimpflash

Code does not address this issue, this is why I asked. As Mr.B has indicated perhaps the new UL codes require WR outlets. I have installed the exact same GFI's in the garage, all of them inside of a metal case, surrounded by a vapor barrior box.

The only difference is that I have not used a weather tight cover box. But all the outlets are covered with those child protective plastic covers for any outlet not currently in use.

I will look into this more in the future for my future reno's. I don't mind spending a little extra to ensure safety, peace of mind, and code complience.