View Full Version : Restoring Classic Battery Charger

alamerang
04-05-2010, 11:18 PM
I was rummaging around my dads old shop and I came across this old battery charger stashed away in the back of a closet. It's a Silver Beauty Model 212 made in Chicago, IL. It is just so awesome that I couldn't even think about throwing it out, so I decided to restore it a little bit. I installed new electrical wires and alligator clips since those parts were completely rotted. And she still works great.

I was thinking about a full restore (new paint, etc.) but my GF thinks it looks great the way it is. She thinks it has character and just needs to be cleaned up a bit. Not sure what direction to go with it yet :headscrat

alberto
04-06-2010, 12:18 AM
Wow, very cool. Tough call on redoing the cosmetics or not. Can't tell by the pics which way I'd go, but in general original is better than redone (it's only original once).

bobforman
04-06-2010, 12:30 AM
With the 6 volt charging capability you could sell that thing to one of my 356 Porsche buddies for a fortune.

rburke65
04-06-2010, 06:57 AM
I re-did a battery charger for my neighbor when he let me borrow it. The handle was broken...replaced it. Installed a new, longer 3 prong cord, a new " High / Low" switch, a new rubber ttie to wrap up his longer cord.....He was a happy guy and he just tells me, "You know where it is when you need it!". With yours, I think I'd keep it original.

Torque1st
04-06-2010, 07:30 AM
Those rectifiers attached to the sides of the cabinets are interesting.

toytech40
04-06-2010, 07:52 AM
I would clean it gently and leave it original. As some of my antique tractor and engine friends say " It is only original ONCE"

Andrew

Kevin54
04-06-2010, 09:03 AM
What about pulling the meter and switches out of the front, photocopying the front of it, then go to a sign shop and see about having a large new decal made that replicates the original look? Then repaint the complete charger, add the new decal, and you will have one brand new looking charger.

The Hot Rod Grille
04-06-2010, 09:12 AM
Is the writing screen-printed (painted) onto the metal or is it a decal? If painted, it will be difficult and somewhat expensive to get a new silk-screen made that will retain the original look. I wouldn't let a sign shop redo it with vinyl lettering, as it won't have the correct look! I would probably gently clean it and wipe a thin film of WD-40 onto it to prevent further rusting, etc. Neat piece of automobilia!

Jim

TAMPAGT07
04-06-2010, 10:13 AM
Ha, I've got one very similar to that one, in fact I'm charging up my mustang as we speak, with it. I'll try to snap a picture of it later and post it.

Fubar
04-06-2010, 10:46 AM
With the 6 volt charging capability you could sell that thing to one of my 356 Porsche buddies for a fortune.

How about this?

http://i56.photobucket.com/albums/g183/Igosplut/Battchargers001.jpg

Christie LA Cal. 6 volt charger. This and the Atlas fleet were in my shop when I got it.

http://i56.photobucket.com/albums/g183/Igosplut/Battchargers002.jpg

Christie data plate

http://i56.photobucket.com/albums/g183/Igosplut/Battchargers003.jpg

Mobil 6 volt fleet charger

http://i56.photobucket.com/albums/g183/Igosplut/Battchargers004.jpg

Atlas 6/12 volt charger this was good for nine battery's while the Mobil was for six I think...

http://i56.photobucket.com/albums/g183/Igosplut/Battchargers006.jpg

How about some battery testers? The wooden one is for the 6 volt batterys with both terminals on one end. Sorry for the blurred pictures, the camera sucks up close..

I have a lot of this kind of stuff but I usually don't bother to post it only because by the time I do the thread is buryed three pages back and nobody sees it..

TAMPAGT07
04-06-2010, 11:07 AM
Hey Fubar, I think American Pickers is on their way to your house.

alamerang
04-06-2010, 05:13 PM
Is the writing screen-printed (painted) onto the metal or is it a decal? If painted, it will be difficult and somewhat expensive to get a new silk-screen made that will retain the original look. I wouldn't let a sign shop redo it with vinyl lettering, as it won't have the correct look! I would probably gently clean it and wipe a thin film of WD-40 onto it to prevent further rusting, etc. Neat piece of automobilia!

Jim

It's not a decal. It's paint. You're right about the silk screen being too expensive to redo and I wouldn't even think about redoing it in vinyl. It would just ruin it IMO.

I really appreciate all the feedback. I think I'm just going to do a little touchup on parts of it but keep it mostly as is. BTW does anyone have a lead on where I can get a pair of those electrical jacks next to the center of the cabinet to switch it from trickle or full charge. I don't know what they are called and I would like to replace them.

Fubar
04-06-2010, 05:17 PM
Hey Fubar, I think American Pickers is on their way to your house.

They should, I have enough of the crap.....

http://i56.photobucket.com/albums/g183/Igosplut/stuff001.jpg

38Chevy454
04-06-2010, 11:37 PM
I would just clean the case up, a little polishing and wax will make it look like new. I think it is great the way it is, don't overdo it.

e-tek
04-07-2010, 12:09 AM
I have a lot of this kind of stuff but I usually don't bother to post it only because by the time I do the thread is buryed three pages back and nobody sees it..

Ahhhh - don't be like that - we wANT to see it!!!:beer:

Robinhood
04-07-2010, 12:14 AM
Ahhhh - don't be like that - we wANT to see it!!!:beer:

:+1: Agreed. I'm an American Pickers addict.

slicktoptt
04-07-2010, 09:28 AM
Sorry for the blurred pictures, the camera sucks up close..

Most cameras have a macro setting for taking up close pictures. It is usually denoted by a symbol that looks like a flower. If you have this symbol on your camera, try using that mode and it should take better up close pics.

Good luck.

Fubar
04-07-2010, 12:49 PM
Most cameras have a macro setting for taking up close pictures. It is usually denoted by a symbol that looks like a flower. If you have this symbol on your camera, try using that mode and it should take better up close pics.

Good luck.

By God you're right!

Thanks. I guess I don't have to bounce it off the wall after all....

http://i56.photobucket.com/albums/g183/Igosplut/Battchargers007.jpg

http://i56.photobucket.com/albums/g183/Igosplut/Battchargers008.jpg

slicktoptt
04-07-2010, 02:44 PM
By God you're right!

Thanks. I guess I don't have to bounce it off the wall after all....

Awesome, glad I could help.

Shadowdog500
04-07-2010, 03:25 PM
I like the old fashioned fire extinguishers that hang from the ceiling. Haven't seen those in years.

Chris

Fubar
04-07-2010, 03:31 PM
I like the old fashioned fire extinguishers that hang from the ceiling. Haven't seen those in years.

Chris

Red Comets. I have one clear, and two red. They were actually still hanging in my shop when I took over five years ago. I took the triggers out of them just in case..

larry_g
04-07-2010, 03:39 PM
BTW does anyone have a lead on where I can get a pair of those electrical jacks next to the center of the cabinet to switch it from trickle or full charge. I don't know what they are called and I would like to replace them.

http://www.mcmaster.com/#catalog/116/767/=6k6eoo

They are hi amp connectors. You may also try some welding supply shop as some welders use those same style connectors.

lg
no neat sig line

bill9860
04-07-2010, 05:20 PM
Agree with the GF - love the patina as they say

nosrac
06-21-2010, 04:56 PM
here is my current project. Dad bought this new years ago. Recently the cables have gone bad, so we have been trying to find a replacement. The problem we are having is finding a 6 volt trickle and automatic version. All I have found so far are 6 manual only. He still has several large John Deere tractors running multiple 6 volt batteries.

So I told him I would clean up his old silver beauty, and we would just keep using it.

Only issue is that it will not shut off when the battery is fully charged. Does anyone know from looking at this model - 220 - if that is suppose to be a feature? My plan is to purchase a timer to permanently attached to the plug end. He is 85 and forgets a few things.. as do I..

hmbemis
06-21-2010, 09:19 PM
Subscribed -- I've got a similar Silver Beauty from my grandfather... he owned a fleet of cabs for a few decades in the 60s/70s, it's got the same 12V/6V switch ability, mines advanced tho, it's got a polarity light and an "engine start" mode.

My grandfather passed away 20 years ago this coming November, I remember jumping my first car (also his last car) quite a few times with that baby... I'm sure one day I'll jump my kids car with it...

/no kids yet :-p

Torque1st
06-22-2010, 01:32 AM
The 6volt trickle function probably will work on batteries over extended periods. An attic fan timer switch could be used also.

InPrimer
06-25-2010, 08:54 PM
I got a silver beauty 8210 at a swap meet, the face was in decent shape the case was rough so I painted it with white appliance paint. What I find unusual it has a 6& 8v and 12v position. It also states a 50 amp while cranking, I put in all new leads and clips inc. a 12/2 feed wire and grounded plug. the question is why 8v?? I havent tried the 50 amp cranking mode appreciate any ans.

Stuart in MN
06-25-2010, 11:32 PM
I believe that back in the day some tractors used an 8 volt battery so they'd crank faster in cold weather. People would sometimes put them in a 6 volt car for the same reason.

bazzateer
06-26-2010, 05:41 AM
Just give it a wipe over with an oily rag. "Patina is earned, not built".

Charles (in GA)
06-26-2010, 09:43 AM
I think some International trucks also used 8 volt systems.

Charles

JohnFreeman
06-26-2010, 08:08 PM
Clean it up and wax the front, but let it show its age... it's great as is.

The rectifiers are interesting. I would have guessed them to be selenium but haven't seen them in disk form like that.

edfishing
05-21-2011, 07:34 AM
Has anyone got a silver beauty that has solid copper plate with diodes on the inside as the bridge rectifier?

MScott
05-26-2011, 09:23 AM
I was rummaging around my dads old shop and I came across this old battery charger stashed away in the back of a closet. It's a Silver Beauty Model 212 made in Chicago, IL. It is just so awesome that I couldn't even think about throwing it out, so I decided to restore it a little bit. I installed new electrical wires and alligator clips since those parts were completely rotted. And she still works great.

I was thinking about a full restore (new paint, etc.) but my GF thinks it looks great the way it is. She thinks it has character and just needs to be cleaned up a bit. Not sure what direction to go with it yet :headscrat

I picked up the same charger at a garage sale last week for next to nothing. Trouble is, the PO had tried to rewire it and had detached most of the wiring. Does anyone have a wiring diagram for this unit so that I can attempt to restore it?

Guenther Paul
07-21-2012, 12:41 PM
I have a silver beauty 8210 charger. Does any one have wiring instructions ?
Thanks

cavisco
01-29-2014, 05:19 PM
alamerang

I have a Silver Beauty Model 220 that is missing the sandstone resistor for the Trickle Charge connection. Can you look at your charger and check the value of the resistor. If it is not printed on the resistor you may need to measure the value with an ohm-meter.

Thanks a lot,
Scott (cavisco)

DynoDave
01-29-2014, 08:22 PM
What an interesting old thread to knock the dust off of. I had never heard of this brand when I bought this one close to 20+ years ago. I'm glad to see there are others still in service.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v517/DynoDave/Garage/SilverBeauty.jpg

gungatim
01-29-2014, 09:07 PM
i've got that same charger at home. use it for my old honda bikes (6v) and tractor before i converted it to 12v...still works after all these years

TractorJeff
01-30-2014, 04:44 PM
I'll have to look at the brand my Vintage/Antique roll-around 6v/12v is?
It has a charge timer, 2a,3,lo,hi switch on it plus a 200a crank capability.
It has a chart with battery size and discharge/charge times on it.
Only regret is I wish it was the next series bigger which would have had the 24v capability (Semi-Trucks usually have 24v starting systems).