View Full Version : Klutch impact wrench??? What did they imitate this off of?

yiranhu
04-09-2010, 01:58 PM
Found this on Northerntools: klutch 1/2" impact wrenches. There are two of them, one is a full sized (http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200396563_200396563)and another is a mini (http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200419927_200419927).

The full size one has a max rating of 900 ft-lb! Even working torque is 600 ft-lb. And it is a composite that weighs little. The little one is a compact sized wrench, that still gives 400 max and 320 working. They are very cheap when compared to the craftsman composite wrenches (19984 for example and the craftsman 1/2" compact). I wonder where they copied this design from. And I can see that they might become the goto choice for people who can't afford snapon/IR titanium/aircat...

compman25
04-09-2010, 06:06 PM
Made in China if that matters to you

yiranhu
04-09-2010, 09:31 PM
Made in China if that matters to you

Don't care a bit as long as there are people who used it and had good results. That's the point of a tool right :).

Art From De Leon
04-09-2010, 09:41 PM
What is the point of giving a brand a name no one has ever heard of? Or was Klutch some old time manufacturer that someone bought the name and revived it?

Impact torque ratings are probably another unexplored opportunity for frivolous lawsuits, like the one regarding the HP rating of lawn mowers.

hammergodthor
04-09-2010, 10:01 PM
If you look at the product manual for the big one, the throttle (tip valve) and the hammer mech look very similar to an IR to me.

Here's Northern tool part diagram:
http://www.northerntool.com/downloads/manuals/100770.pdf

Here's an IR parts manual looks SIMILAR to me:
http://www.irtechpubs.com/ir_pdfs/Tools/Impact%20Tools/Air%20Impactools/16573743_ed1.PDF

If you've got more patience than me, here's a link to IR's very inefficient (its a PITA to find) parts website:
http://www.irtechpubs.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=view.main&type=Tools&cat=151&sub=695

IR makes impacts for many different markets (think global) so for all I know the Asian wrenches might be different?? Don't know about all this, just a guess. Hope the links work for everyone. :beer:

mrshaun
04-09-2010, 10:09 PM
air cat looks la little similar to that as well. it may be outsourced to china but designed by air cat or IR...

wellstig1
04-09-2010, 10:22 PM
If you look at that torque rating its seems that 900 number is for "nut busting" which you should not go by. The working torque which is rated to 600 is pretty low by todays standard.

mrshaun
04-09-2010, 10:32 PM
nut busting torque is calculated in a lab with warm air and very HIGH cfm. so you are right, it is not at all accurate. I do not even tell the customers about it.

Merkava_4
04-09-2010, 10:34 PM
Deleted post in an attempt to avoid second strike.

TheDukeofDeere
04-09-2010, 11:20 PM
I have a question though, would IR build a gun for another company knowing it would possibly even be advertised as having more torque than their equivalent gun?

I'm not saying the 900 ft.-lbs. is accurate, nor am I saying it isn't made by IR....just curious as to why a company would build a better product for another company, even if better is ONLY on paper?

ImportTuner
04-09-2010, 11:49 PM
You username sounds suspiciously Chinese. :headscrat

Now, let's not be mean .. :)

ImportTuner
04-09-2010, 11:52 PM
It got five great reviews for what that's worth .. :) Personally, I would stick with the known good brands (IR, AirCat, Chicago Pneumatic, Matco, Snap On) .. :)

wellstig1
04-09-2010, 11:53 PM
I have a question though, would IR build a gun for another company knowing it would possibly even be advertised as having more torque than their equivalent gun?

I'm not saying the 900 ft.-lbs. is accurate, nor am I saying it isn't made by IR....just curious as to why a company would build a better product for another company, even if better is ONLY on paper?

Whats better on paper about it?

TheDukeofDeere
04-10-2010, 12:15 AM
Whats better on paper about it?

Higher Stated Maximum Reverse Torque, 900 (Klutch) vs. 780 (IR2135Q)

More Max Working Torque, 600 (Klutch) vs. 550 (IR2135Q)

Less Average Air Consumption 4.5 (Klutch) vs. 5 (IR2135Q)

More BPM 6000 (Klutch) vs. 1250 (IR2135Q)

Don't give up much in terms of weight, Klutch weighs 4.6 vs. 4.05 (IR 2135Q)

Don't give up much in the sound category, 90 vs. 86 (IR 2135Q)

Price, $90 (Klutch) vs. whatever the lowest you can find on the net is for the 2135Q. Probably in the neighborhood of $200.

Not trying to be a jerk, but when people compare the two models on "paper", doesn't the Klutch seem like a contender to the IR model?

That's why I was asking why IR would make a gun for another company (besides the tool trucks) that would sell for less and look just as good to the consumer on paper?

I'm just curious, not debating whether I think the gun is "better" or not.

lbgradwell
04-10-2010, 01:43 AM
You username sounds suspiciously Chinese. :headscrat

:wtf: And..?

yiranhu
04-10-2010, 06:31 PM
:wtf: And..?

Thank you. I am Chinese. I grew up in the US. I also don't see why that matters. The funny part about this cultural thing is that Chinese people tend to be the most suspicious of Chinese made things since we have or had parents seen first hand how some chinese companies operate. But I also learned not to pass judgement on everything under a blanket judgement. Especially nowadays when outside culture is influencing how business is conducted and quality control is improving.

Back to the wrench: I'm definitely tempted to give this thing a try next time I buy an impact wrench.

Yiran

wellstig1
04-10-2010, 07:34 PM
Higher Stated Maximum Reverse Torque, 900 (Klutch) vs. 780 (IR2135Q)

More Max Working Torque, 600 (Klutch) vs. 550 (IR2135Q)

Less Average Air Consumption 4.5 (Klutch) vs. 5 (IR2135Q)

More BPM 6000 (Klutch) vs. 1250 (IR2135Q)

Don't give up much in terms of weight, Klutch weighs 4.6 vs. 4.05 (IR 2135Q)

Don't give up much in the sound category, 90 vs. 86 (IR 2135Q)

Price, $90 (Klutch) vs. whatever the lowest you can find on the net is for the 2135Q. Probably in the neighborhood of $200.

Where was it ever confirmed that Ingersoll Rand makes this impact, just because it looks similar doesn't mean they made it

Not trying to be a jerk, but when people compare the two models on "paper", doesn't the Klutch seem like a contender to the IR model?

That's why I was asking why IR would make a gun for another company (besides the tool trucks) that would sell for less and look just as good to the consumer on paper?

I'm just curious, not debating whether I think the gun is "better" or not.

When was this impact confirmed that it was made by IR? Just because the impacts look slightly similar does not mean that it is made by IR. The torque ratings you are listing are all mixed up. The 900 is what they are rating for nut busting which IR rates theirs at 1100. The max working torque of the IR is rated at 780 in reverse and 550 forward for working torque. This company "klutch" has no reputation nor creditability as no one has even heard of them and for all we know these could just be inflated numbers as there doesn't seem to be any regulations on this type of thing.

TheDukeofDeere
04-10-2010, 08:56 PM
When was this impact confirmed that it was made by IR? Just because the impacts look slightly similar does not mean that it is made by IR. The torque ratings you are listing are all mixed up. The 900 is what they are rating for nut busting which IR rates theirs at 1100. The max working torque of the IR is rated at 780 in reverse and 550 forward for working torque. This company "klutch" has no reputation nor creditability as no one has even heard of them and for all we know these could just be inflated numbers as there doesn't seem to be any regulations on this type of thing.

I never implied it was, (others had mentioned it might have been) I was just curious, if it was, why would IR make a gun for another company that was spec'd similar but at a fraction of the cost.

The same is true for the SK gun, etc. At least, the IR Truck Branded items are on par with IR prices.

As far as the ratings you mentioned are concerned, the only one I missed was the 1100 ft. lbs of Nut Busting Power. Which I would contest could be an inflated number itself (as I have an IR2135 myself).

Specs for the Klutch gun are probably inflated, but when consumers look at the spec sheet for the two guns, then glance at the price, many consumers will pick the Klutch for price alone. Not caring what gun has better construction, internal components, durability, reliability, etc.

I guess if IR is indeed making this gun, they are making money from either sale, so why not, right?

Once again, curious, not trying to get people pissed off.

Marlin
04-10-2010, 08:59 PM
The impact is not made by IR.

Marlin
04-10-2010, 09:04 PM
The same is true for the SK gun, etc. IR doesn't make any SK impacts, SK just copied the tool profiles and used IR model numbers in their model numbers for some strange reason:rolleyes:

TheDukeofDeere
04-10-2010, 09:09 PM
IR doesn't make any SK impacts, SK just copied the tool profiles and used IR model numbers in their model numbers for some strange reason:rolleyes:

Gotcha, I was under the impression IR made guns for SK as well....for the very reasons you mentioned above.

In all honesty, they probably don't make the gun for Klutch either, which would satisfy my questions.....

Marlin
04-10-2010, 09:27 PM
Gotcha, I was under the impression IR made guns for SK as well....for the very reasons you mentioned above.

In all honesty, they probably don't make the gun for Klutch either, which would satisfy my questions..... You are correct IR definitely does not make the clutch tool. As for the specs, take them with a grain of salt, they state a BPM (blows per minute) number of 6000 which is not possible with the mechanism being used.

TheDukeofDeere
04-10-2010, 09:35 PM
You are correct IR definitely does not make the clutch tool. As for the specs, take them with a grain of salt, they state a BPM (blows per minute) number of 6000 which is not possible with the mechanism being used.

Thanks for what seems to be a clarification.

My point really wasn't to compare the two guns, or imply that IR made the gun.

I was just curious why IR would choose to make a gun (for ANY company) that was spec'd similar, that wasn't at the same price point as their own guns. But since it isn't, I guess I don't really need to care anymore.

Once a gun is put into many consumers hands, specs go out the window as many of our setups cannot compare to the labs....