View Full Version : Anybody have advise on installing a wall thimble with vinyl siding?

Special55
11-06-2006, 12:16 PM
Picked up my new heater this weekend. I'm going with the radiant tube heater and was going to vent out the sidewall.

Any of you guys have advise and/or pictures of your thimble install?

Any info is greatly appreciated,

Rich

mjribeiro
11-06-2006, 01:14 PM
Picked up my new heater this weekend. I'm going with the radiant tube heater and was going to vent out the sidewall.

Any of you guys have advise and/or pictures of your thimble install?

Any info is greatly appreciated,

Rich
Rich, I dont have a picture handy, but I used a vinyl siding 'block' - it's basically a square or rectangle, color matched to your siding, that has the 'J' channel built in. They make them in different sizes for lights, outlets, switches, etc.... Drill the big hole in through your wall wherever you want the pipe to pass. Make a similar sized hole (centered) in this block, then use the block to mark how far back you need to trim the siding. Mount the block, tucking the siding into the J channel, then pass your pipe through. Remember - the pipe that passes through the wall needs to be double wall.

Special55
11-06-2006, 01:25 PM
Rich, I dont have a picture handy, but I used a vinyl siding 'block' - it's basically a square or rectangle, color matched to your siding, that has the 'J' channel built in. They make them in different sizes for lights, outlets, switches, etc.... Drill the big hole in through your wall wherever you want the pipe to pass. Make a similar sized hole (centered) in this block, then use the block to mark how far back you need to trim the siding. Mount the block, tucking the siding into the J channel, then pass your pipe through. Remember - the pipe that passes through the wall needs to be double wall.

Thanx for the quick response.:thumbup:
I'm familiar with the trim blocks as I used them on the house for exterior light fixtures. I didn't know they made them big enough for a thimble though. Shouldn't be too hard to match as the siding is just white double 4.

Did you use a round or square thimble? The round seems to be more readily available and pretty inexpensive.

mjribeiro
11-06-2006, 02:33 PM
Thanx for the quick response.:thumbup:
I'm familiar with the trim blocks as I used them on the house for exterior light fixtures. I didn't know they made them big enough for a thimble though. Shouldn't be too hard to match as the siding is just white double 4.

Did you use a round or square thimble? The round seems to be more readily available and pretty inexpensive.

I used a rectangle box, one that was used for electric meters. Mostly because that's what my supplier could get in my siding color the quickest. My thimble exits the building in the rear, so the shape didn't matter all that much. Come to think of it, the color shouldn't have mattered to me either. Remember - local codes dictate how far the thimble needs to extend from the building. For me it had to protrude 18"......

PS - the one I'm talking about doesn't care about the lap sizes, It's not the jagged one light the lights use - this one has the J moulding around the perimeter.
Like this:

Special55
11-08-2006, 10:57 AM
mjribeiro,

Sorry for the slow response but I didn't have a PC handy yesterday. I just want to clarify how you intalled your vent. I was planning on using something like this

Did you put this on the outside of the square trim or behind it up against the sheating? How did you seal your pipe to prevent water intrusion?

Sorry for all the questions but these things come from the store without instructions.

Thanx

mjribeiro
11-08-2006, 02:46 PM
mjribeiro,

Sorry for the slow response but I didn't have a PC handy yesterday. I just want to clarify how you intalled your vent. I was planning on using something like this

Did you put this on the outside of the square trim or behind it up against the sheating? How did you seal your pipe to prevent water intrusion?

Sorry for all the questions but these things come from the store without instructions.

Thanx
Yes - I have that same thing - There should be two pieces, one from the inside, one from the outside. That helps to keep the double walled pipe away from any combustibles. My inside walls have yet to be insulated or finished - so that thimble is just hanging there on the pipe. The outside flange is glued with RTV sealant - probably could have gone with silicon - to that vinyl block we were talking about. I can see the plywodd still from the inside an there's no leaks - so this should be good for you too.....

mjribeiro
11-08-2006, 02:49 PM
Sorry I still didn't answer your question - That thimble is visible from outside. I'll take a photo over the weekend - I don't have any lights back there and with DST it's not light enough while I'm home.....

Special55
11-15-2006, 07:50 AM
Sorry I still didn't answer your question - That thimble is visible from outside. I'll take a photo over the weekend - I don't have any lights back there and with DST it's not light enough while I'm home.....

mjribeiro,

I think I know what you're describing. If you get a chance that photo would be appreciated.

Donzi4me
11-15-2006, 11:18 AM
I put my thimble up against both the inside wall and the outside OSB. Then I added a "vinyl block" to the cut out siding. The double wall vent pipe passes thru this and then I added a storm collar which seals the hole in the block. Sort of a double protection against water intrusion.

mjribeiro
11-18-2006, 09:58 PM
Rich - sorry this took so long.....This is how I have the thimble mounted.

Special55
11-20-2006, 11:49 AM
Thanx again,

You know what they say. A picture is worth a thousand words. :thumbup:

femaleneedshelpLOL
12-19-2009, 12:37 PM
I am sorry I am a single mom...I bought a pellet stove to save $ with heat this year I bought the The Simpson PelletVent Pro Wall Thimble and Air Intake Kit...I am ready to cut the hole...
Can it be a small round hole...Or do I need to cut a larger hole and put (fire safe insulation) or square it with 2x4's or what???
Sorry... I normally know stuff...but not this LOL (How embarrassing):lol_hitti