View Full Version : Removing tire marks from concrete?

vinculum
11-11-2006, 02:10 PM
Does anyone have any suggestions for removing tire marks from bare concrete?

I tried my 2800psi pressure washer yesterday and it did nothing. Actually it would chip the concrete before removing any marks.

I bought some Krud Kutter from Lowes today, I'm going to put some on full strength and scrub in with a brush and pressure wash it off and see what that does. I read elsewhere that brake cleaner might work??

This is a new floor and I was cleaning it up to be sealed. The tire marks were from a lift that was used to install the ceiling panels. Prior to this it only had a little dirt and dust on it. :mad:

Thanx!
Dr V

bmwpower
11-11-2006, 06:24 PM
Grind, sand or shotblast should do it. Putting epoxy down?

screwTheMan
11-11-2006, 08:47 PM
See if there's someone that does soda blasting in your area.

vinculum
11-11-2006, 08:58 PM
Seems like an extreme measure just to get rid of some rubber marks. I have 2400 sq ft, so any kind of blasting would not be cheap. I planned to put down a methyl methacrylate solvent based sealer, which is clear. I thought about epoxy and urethane but costs vs. uncertainty of its longevity turned me off. One of the advantages of the sealer is that it is self etching and I didn't have that sort of prep to do, and the fact that it can be applied in colder temperatures. Suprisingly enough its in the upper 60s here! I'll see what i can do with the krud kutter and power washer today after work.

Thanx!
Dr V

MyDomain
11-11-2006, 10:05 PM
You might try a product called Pour -n- Restore. It removes oil stains from concrete but it may pull the rubber out as well. It may be available in other areas but I know you can get it at the hardware store in Red Lion...down by Winterstown Road (True Value?). I love the stuff!!

http://www.jnkproducts.com/pour-n-restore.htm?source=overpour&ovmkt=3B4BNEUDB4MMI8TA5T0CHNUO7G

MyDomain
11-11-2006, 10:25 PM
I just read that you should apply a strong degreaser such as Greased Lightning (LOWE'S) and scrub it in with a stiff brush. Leave it sit overnight and then pressure wash. Repeat if necessary.

carguy123
11-12-2006, 08:50 PM
You guys are scaring me!!!!

My garage has just been completed and I too have tire marks due to the lifts, etc. putting the ceiling up. Are you telling me they won't just wash away?

Surely you jest!?!

MyDomain
11-12-2006, 08:55 PM
Are you telling me they won't just wash away?

Surely you jest!?!

1. Not easily. It may take several soaks, rinse and repeat to come clean.

2. Ahhh.....no :spit:

carguy123
11-12-2006, 09:03 PM
Now I'm really ticked at the guy who built it! One of his lifts also leaked hydraulic fluid that I have to clean up.

bmwpower
11-12-2006, 09:03 PM
You guys are scaring me!!!!

My garage has just been completed and I too have tire marks due to the lifts, etc. putting the ceiling up. Are you telling me they won't just wash away?

Surely you jest!?!

My convertible sat in in my garage during contruction for several months. It left 4 tire spots. I tried everything I could think of... Baer concrete etch and cleaner, muriatic acid, floor scrubber, orbital sander, etc. Nothing would take it completely away until I ground the entire floor with an Edco grinder. Most of it was ground away after this, but I still had some left after the grind, so I hit it again with a belt sander until it finally went away.

Remember, tire marks are often more than just a black surface mark. The marks are usually from chemicals that leech into the concrete, thus the stain penetrates below the surface.

MyDomain
11-12-2006, 09:05 PM
Now I'm really ticked at the guy who built it! One of his lifts also leaked hydraulic fluid that I have to clean up.

Definately Pour -n- restore for the fluid. Really works. From what BMW just said I would seriously try it on tire marks as well!:thumbup:

vinculum
11-12-2006, 09:05 PM
Well I tried a test on 3 different spots with 3 different cleaners.
I applied, scrubbed in with a stiff bristled broom, pressure washed off after an hour.

1. Krud Kutter - full strength gel. Worked the best, maybe even 100%. I need to recheck after the water drys.
2. Orange Blast - Also seemed to work really well, perhaps as good as the Krud?
3. Simple Green - Not so hot. Still see the marks.

I took some pictures, I should try posting them later. Unfortunately right now I need to goto work on 5 hours of split sleep. I also changed a Durango battery and a fuel filter on a Diesel Jetta outside in the rain. I sure hope I get my floor done soon!

Dr V

MyDomain
11-12-2006, 09:08 PM
Dr V...if you still have a spot to try get the Pour -n- Restore! If nothing else you can use it in case there is an oil spot.

Heck, if you are nearby you could borrow a bottle of mine to try. I'm curious if it would work.

bmwpower
11-12-2006, 09:10 PM
Glad that some of those may have worked. Does water bead on the spot? That's how I was able to tell when my marks were gone - the water stopped beading. Whatever was in the tire chemicals was water repellant.

MyDomain
11-15-2006, 01:10 PM
Dr V- Any updates on your tire track concern?

vinculum
11-15-2006, 03:06 PM
The floor is still drying, It seems the marks went away maybe 70%. Some are darker than others. Where they didn't move the lift and just turned the wheels made the worse marks. Other areas it was just on the move making lighter tracks. I may try another round of spot scrubbing with krud kutter again and let it sit over night (I didn't do that last time), then pressure wash. In the mean time I'm going to call a local concrete place to see what they suggest and work on my back wall (putting plywood up). The air movement from my pressure washer is knocking my insulation down and I can't have that! I'd try the pour and restore, but I don't wanna use anything stronger than what I have to. I'm afraid it might discolor the area and I'd have bright spots everywhere, or I'd have to buy enough to do 2400 sq ft! I just hope the weather continues to be good. It was a beauty of a day today!

Thanx everyone.. I'll keep the thread up to date.
Dr V

vinculum
11-18-2006, 10:10 AM
Well boys, this heres the real deal for removing tire marks.... At least for me

Nothing beats good ole' abrasion! Bmwpower, you had the simple solution under my nose the entire time! I never gave it much consideration and thought it was too much work.

I just happen to pass a wire brush over some of the marks and a few strokes later they were totally gone! No chemicals soaking into the concrete... just dust... Now i just need to motorize my wire brushing so i can do the entire 2400 sq ft. The sealer should be here in 3 working days and its getting cold, so here is my window of opportunity.

Thanks everyone! :thumbup:

Dr V

The Money Pit
11-18-2006, 10:42 PM
It's a garage. Don't sweat it. I don't think anyone would be supprised to see tire marks in a garage. I know you want it to look nice but you've got to draw the line somewhere. Park in the same spot and no one will notice. :badteeth:

vinculum
11-19-2006, 04:15 PM
It's a garage. Don't sweat it. I don't think anyone would be supprised to see tire marks in a garage. I know you want it to look nice but you've got to draw the line somewhere. Park in the same spot and no one will notice. :badteeth:

Yeah, but remember as I said in the first post, they aren't tire marks from a car, they aren't in one spot, they are everywhere. Since the floor is unsealed, the rubber will hinder the sealer application and forever be seen if sealed under. It would be different if it were tire marks on top of the sealer in one spot.

I attacked it with the wire wheel today. its ALOT of labor. I think I'm going to bring home a 17" floor machine in the morning. Home Depot only wants $27/day for rental. I was surprised it was that inexpensive to rent one. We'll see how that goes.

Dr V

HighOctane
11-19-2006, 06:13 PM
Try a little break Cleaner, thats what I used to get some oil stains out of my garage floor, maybe it will work for tire marks too. Good Luck:beer:

vinculum
11-20-2006, 11:48 PM
Update :

The home depot Clark floor machine worked GREAT! I ended up using the black abrasion disc and within a couple hours buzzed over my entire floor and the tire marks are gone! The rental turned out to be $37 for a day plus $7 for the disc (only needed one). $27 price quoted to me over the phone was for 4 hours. With travel time and cleanup I just couldn't make it in 4 hours, but it was close. The machine certainly has a mind of its own and was a good workout keeping it where you wanted. It also required a 20 amp circuit. It was convenient for me to unplug my clothes washer and use that outlet. I went over the entire floor and it cleaned the surface up pretty nice. Well worth the effort I'd say.

Thanks Everyone! Onto the next step... vacuum!
Dr V

bmwpower
11-21-2006, 12:14 AM
A-ha. Glad it worked out for you in the end. Those marks can be a PITA, as you now know.