View Full Version : Interior wall construction on floating slab

Dave Carney
11-18-2006, 01:00 PM
I am constructing an interior room in my pole building. Those interior walls would be sitting on the floating slab (6"). One interior wall will be 26' long and will have one service door and an overhead door 10x12, probably the roll up type. The other wall will be 18', no openings.

Was looking for suggestions on construction. Does a floating slab move up and down? How much? If so, that would affect the attachment of the wall to the ceiling. I would prefer to use metal wall panel which would mandate horizontal studs, (or a vertical stud wall with horizontal 2x4's in between). My first instinct is to bolt the sill to the floor, and leave a small space between the top plate and the ceiling, maybe letting that plate ride between a 2x4 (one on each side) mounted flat to the ceiling. (??)

PAToyota
11-18-2006, 03:08 PM
When someone says "floating slab" they mean that it floats on the earth and (should) move as a whole. Actually, the issue is that the roof will "compress" with snow load. So I'd do what you are saying with the wall because of that, not because the floor will move up unevenly.

rockwithjason
11-18-2006, 03:26 PM
I worked on one job where the framers used two metal studs and conected them with a screw that slid up or down in a slot. This allowed the bottom 12" of framing to follow the floor without separating the ceiling joints.