View Full Version : Craigslist Vise Find (Healthy Sized)

Gunnar
05-26-2010, 07:01 PM
Was looking for a decent sized vise, and found this on craigslist. It's a Vanderman vise that I'm guessing is from the early 1900's.

It has Wm. VANDERMAN, WILLIMANTIC, CONN on the side. Also has PATENTED JULY 1 1891 and NO. 3. You should be able to see it in the photo. The only information I could find on the company is here: http://www.nescienterprises.com/HistoryPage.html .

The jaws are 6" wide and open to at least 14.5". It may open more, but I didn't want to drop the dynamic jaw. The lead screw is 15.5" long. I tried weighing it and it was at 165 lbs, but is probably more since I couldn't get it to balance right on the scale. The photos show it holding a 12" ruler.

I temporarily mounted it to an old workbench that I'm going to get rid of soon to see what it looks like mounted. I prefer to have the static jaw over the edge of the table, but the way this vise is set up, I don't think it is possible.

Let me know what you guys think of it. I think it's an interesting vise and am planning to take it apart at some point and restore it. For $60, I don't think it was a bad pick-up.

old salvage
05-26-2010, 07:23 PM
I usually don't like exposed screw vises but that is quite an exception. Especially that size. A great score for 60 bucks.

mjozefow
05-26-2010, 08:09 PM
I'm with old salvage on the exposed leadscrew part. However, this thing was made HEAVY! I think you will get many many years of use out of it.

One word of caution though: GUARD YOUR LEADSCREW! Hitting it or grinding it will be a quick death for the vise.

You made a "you suck" score for sure.

FoMoCoPower
05-26-2010, 08:12 PM
that thing is kool

mjozefow
05-26-2010, 08:18 PM
I recall seeing an Athol with a similar layout. It was not designed for standard bench service, it had a very specific purpose. It will do great in a general service environment though.

old salvage
05-26-2010, 08:47 PM
I recall seeing an Athol with a similar layout. It was not designed for standard bench service, it had a very specific purpose. It will do great in a general service environment though.

A few years ago someone posted a similar vise on Practical Machinist. It was by Grinnell of Providence R.I. . They never made bench vises for sale as far as I know. They made fire extinguishers and sprinkler systems so the vise was probably for job site use.
I'd love to have either vise.:drool:

autopts71045
05-26-2010, 09:02 PM
One excellent find..Ya think it might outlast all of us?

nolatoolguy
05-26-2010, 09:03 PM
YOU SUCK, and not in the way sucking is good.

ZRX61
05-26-2010, 09:22 PM
I like that :)

Joe B.
05-26-2010, 09:25 PM
I love that vise. The fact that there is a patent date on it makes it even more cool. I wish more vises had dates on them.

Any idea what the concave section on the back side are for? The look like there are there for a purpose but I can't think of what it could be.

bgott
05-26-2010, 10:19 PM
The concave sections look like a blacksmith's swage.

http://www.swageblocks.com/

BanjoSavesTheDay
05-26-2010, 11:21 PM
Nice vise! I JUST saw an identical vise somewhere on the interwebs but for the life of me cannot remember where. It seems like the seller said it was designed for making parts for steam boats or something odd like that. I will do my best to find it again.

irvin
05-27-2010, 07:03 PM

I have both the number 1 and number 3 Vanderman. Mine are probably from the early 1900's because the handle ends are round. Mr Nesci says these vises are rare and valuable. William Vanderman was a plumber. These vises were made for bending pipes. The vises were used primarily in the shipping and railroad industries.

Gunnar
05-27-2010, 08:43 PM
I have both the number 1 and number 3 Vanderman. Mine are probably from the early 1900's because the handle ends are round. Mr Nesci says these vises are rare and valuable. William Vanderman was a plumber. These vises were made for bending pipes. The vises were used primarily in the shipping and railroad industries.

Great info. Exactly what I was looking for. I may have to send Nesci an email and let them know another Vanderman vise is out in the wild. What are your plans with your two vises?

arkangel06
05-27-2010, 08:54 PM
60$????

DAMN you suck!

irvin
05-27-2010, 09:17 PM
I actually have quite a few American vises. I clean them up thoroughly and just admire them.

mjozefow
05-27-2010, 10:01 PM
I actually have quite a few American vises. I clean them up thoroughly and just admire them.

You and I would get along well. Banjo too. :beer: