View Full Version : The Annoying Slow Gas Pump

BoydS
05-26-2010, 07:15 PM
What causes the fuel flow sometimes to be slow at service stations..? The other day, it took 10 minutes to pump 7 gallons. I can't wait here all day, so I left after that.

garfunkle24
05-26-2010, 07:17 PM
What's even worse is when there's no lock on the f%$#ing trigger either. It get's -40c here!

Bull
05-26-2010, 07:18 PM
Yeah, I think some equipment at certain stations just sucks. The station close to my house has this issue. If I want to fill up my tank, I had better be prepared to wait. If someone is using the pump on the other side of me, it gets even sloowweerrr.

Trigger locks are illegal here.

mrb
05-26-2010, 07:20 PM
from what I understand, a slow pumping pump needs its filter changed. Around me i notice all the nice super clean gas stations pump fast, and all the dingy crappy ones pump slow -probably from lack of pump maintenance

garfunkle24
05-26-2010, 07:20 PM

Could be worse, at least you're allowed to pump your own gas.

Charles (in GA)
05-26-2010, 07:21 PM
How many cars were at the station. If every pump had a car, and most are usually pumping regular, the flow is minimal at best. One or two cars, you get good flow.

Also remember, that hose is a hose inside a hose, the outer being the sucker or vent back to the storage tanks. The inner hose is rather small in size and limits flow. (This is if you live in a large metro area, rural areas have standard hoses and nozzles.)

Charles

walrus
05-26-2010, 07:34 PM
Yeah, I think some equipment at certain stations just sucks. The station close to my house has this issue. If I want to fill up my tank, I had better be prepared to wait. If someone is using the pump on the other side of me, it gets even sloowweerrr.

If its ok with one and slow with 2, filters need to be changed. Federal law is maximum 10 gallons a minutes so it will never exceed that. Most new installs use a variable speed pump that if adjusted right will speed up flow when it sees a certain pressure drop.
If it took 10 minutes to do 7 gallons, chances are a mechanical line leak detector was tripped, it sensed a drop in pressure and shut a valve to tell the operator that it thinks their is a leak in system. Chances are their isn't a leak, they trip for a variety of reasons and rarely is a leak one of those reasons. Let off on the nozzle, wait 10secs and try again, it should reset if there are no other cars in the lot, otherwise drive off:thumbup:

BoydS
05-26-2010, 08:07 PM
Originally Posted by walrus
If its ok with one and slow with 2, filters need to be changed. Federal law is maximum 10 gallons a minutes so it will never exceed that. Most new installs use a variable speed pump that if adjusted right will speed up flow when it sees a certain pressure drop.
If it took 10 minutes to do 7 gallons, chances are a mechanical line leak detector was tripped, it sensed a drop in pressure and shut a valve to tell the operator that it thinks their is a leak in system. Chances are their isn't a leak, they trip for a variety of reasons and rarely is a leak one of those reasons. Let off on the nozzle, wait 10secs and try again, it should reset if there are no other cars in the lot, otherwise drive off

I've had the issue when an adjacent pump was on, I had almost no flow. I've also waited more that 10 secs, and it still was same flow (with no one at any of the pumps). Something I should mention, is that I'm pumping diesel not gas.

Walterchang
05-26-2010, 09:05 PM
Yup dirty filters imped flow. 10 gallons a minute is max. Time it next time. I receently did and found out my pump was at 7.5 ish a minute.

Nealcrenshaw
05-26-2010, 09:32 PM
Could be worse, at least you're allowed to pump your own gas.

You cant pump your own gas! Why not??

garfunkle24
05-26-2010, 10:02 PM
You cant pump your own gas! Why not??

Oh I can, but I'm sure some members on here have said they can't. NJ I think?

nolatoolguy
05-26-2010, 10:09 PM
If it helps rain or shine I spend about an hour an a half every day transfering 690 gallons of fuel. Just imigane How I feel when pumps are slow.

hilld
05-27-2010, 12:48 AM
You also can't pump your gas in Oregon.

Hlidskjalf
05-27-2010, 05:06 AM
What's even worse is when there's no lock on the f%$#ing trigger either. It get's -40c here!

I laugh at your kind!

Wedge the gas cap between the handle and trigger. Jump back in your car and enjoy.

Lou's Garage
05-27-2010, 09:19 AM
Any of the above could cause the slowdown.

Here's a couple other thoughts (from personal experience):

Really warm, humid weather can cause a marginal pump to vapor lock. I don't know if this happens so much with newer equipment, I sold my last station 24 years ago.

If the station was about to run out of gas, the pumps will slow to a crawl. Slower and slower until they can't pump any more.

Lou

z28snksknr
05-27-2010, 09:23 AM
What a timely topic: I live in NJ and sat at the pump THIS MORNING and waited a solid 5 min for 13 gal. I won't be going to that pump anymore.

Boiler
05-27-2010, 09:34 AM
I went on a little trip last year, put in my card, started the pump, and it took about a minute to put in 5 cents worth. Switched pumps (was low on gas, at interstate oasis), and repeated the same fiasco. I guess they were having problems that day...gee thanks for turning the pumps off or bagging the handles.

About a month later my wife looked at me weird and said, what did you charge, twice, that cost a nickel?

eldirector
05-27-2010, 09:54 AM
Federal law is maximum 10 gallons a minutes so it will never exceed that.

One station I frequent for diesel has GOT to be faster than this. They have a few pumps off to the side for OTR and commercial trucks. Those pumps are FAST. Fills my 26 gallon tank in about a minute from empty.

Most of the local gas station pumps are really slow for diesel.

TAftw
05-27-2010, 10:00 AM
What I can't stand is when you squeeze the trigger, and the gas stops if you pull it all the way. you have to hold it half or 2/3 of the way to get even any gas.

fordbroncodave
05-27-2010, 10:51 AM
i hate when i can't hold the trigure all the way down. i can only go half way before it stops.

i also hate when you try to round your total to like 10.00 but it ends up going to 10.01 i swear some gas stations purposely set it up to do that. i almost think it should be a law that you have the right to stop the gas flow when you want to

leftyz
05-27-2010, 11:10 AM
i hate when i can't hold the trigure all the way down. i can only go half way before it stops.

Flip the hose handle upside down, it will allow the gas to flow in full speed without stopping

viper86
05-27-2010, 11:51 AM
This happened a couple times to me, and the attendant came out one time, pulled the hose straight, gave it a couple shakes, and it worked fine. He mentioned there being an air bubble and it burped the line. Not sure I believe it, but it worked.

wreckercologist
05-27-2010, 12:35 PM
I can remember spending a 1/2 hour filling the tank on my '95 Bronco once.:mad: Thirty some gallons, about a half hour, and that was when fuel was +$4.00 per gallon. :mad:

gabeancounter
05-27-2010, 12:49 PM
Side note:
Went to the Racetrac station yesterday to fuel up. While I was fueling noticed the lady on the other side in a BMW talking on the cell phone walking around digging in her car for more computer gadgets. All the sudden I notice her get in the car and crank it up. I stepped over to tell her the nozzle was still in the tank. She turns her head the other way like I was just some dipshit. Dumbass rips the nozzle off. She gets out and I just said "nice job" finished up and left. I knew the hoses had break aways but never seen it used was glad it worked.

Costner
05-27-2010, 03:42 PM
Side note:
Went to the Racetrac station yesterday to fuel up. While I was fueling noticed the lady on the other side in a BMW talking on the cell phone walking around digging in her car for more computer gadgets. All the sudden I notice her get in the car and crank it up. I stepped over to tell her the nozzle was still in the tank. She turns her head the other way like I was just some dipshit. Dumbass rips the nozzle off. She gets out and I just said "nice job" finished up and left. I knew the hoses had break aways but never seen it used was glad it worked.

That reminds me of a time I came into work and saw an extension cord laying in the parking lot... I followed it and it went under a Ford Bronco II and was plugged in to the engine block heater through the grill at the front. The moron forgot to unplug it in the morning and ripped the plug out of the socket and then drove to work dragging the cord behind him or her the entire way. I was just amazed it didn't get caught under one of the rear wheels and ripped off... but it seemed to be fully intact.

As far as gas pumps the most excitement I ever had with them was one time when I was filling up this teenage kid pulls up to the front of the convenience store in a Ford Explorer and jumps out. About five seconds later I notice it slowly rolling backwards towards the opposite side of the pumps that I am using. I started heading towards the thing but it was gaining more and more speed and getting too close to the pump for me to do anything so I just stepped off to the side as it proceeded to slam into one of those steel and concrete posts that protect the pumps.

The kid comes out - realizes what he had done (left the thing in neutral with no brake applied) - hops in and drives away without so much as acknowledging I was there or even bothering to check the damage. He had a nice ding in the rear bumper to remember it by, but at least the pump was unharmed.

adam728
05-27-2010, 03:56 PM
I hate the slow pumps! There's a station here that's been painfully slow for the 8 months I've lived here. Every 6-8 weeks I foget and go there. Last time I went I was counting off around 1 minute and 20 seconds per gallon, and I was the only one there. I quit at 5 gallons and filled up at a different station later that day.

NJHandyGuy
05-27-2010, 03:57 PM
One station I frequent for diesel has GOT to be faster than this. They have a few pumps off to the side for OTR and commercial trucks. Those pumps are FAST. Fills my 26 gallon tank in about a minute from empty.

Ditto i went to fueled on the jersey turnpike eariler and pumped 137.7 gallons from both sides of the truck in 4.5 minutes.

btw we aren't allowed to pump our own gas in jersey nice on snowy mornings though

s_morrison57
05-27-2010, 04:13 PM
I always thought it was the station that slowed the pumps to give you the feeling that you were getting your moneys worth

walrus
05-27-2010, 04:14 PM

The discussion was about gasoline( at least I thought it was going by the thread title) not diesel, 10 gallons a minute for gasoline.

walrus
05-27-2010, 04:22 PM
This happened a couple times to me, and the attendant came out one time, pulled the hose straight, gave it a couple shakes, and it worked fine. He mentioned there being an air bubble and it burped the line. Not sure I believe it, but it worked.

Did you like buying that air bubble:lol_hitti.

benjamming
05-28-2010, 12:59 PM
[snip]Most new installs use a variable speed pump that if adjusted right will speed up flow when it sees a certain pressure drop.[snip]

I thought they were rotary vane (positive displacement) pumps such as Tuthill Fill-Rite (http://www.tuthill.com/us/en/products/Catalog/Fuel-Transfer-Pumps.cfm)?

38 Special
05-28-2010, 01:15 PM
What timing. I pulled off a pump after 9/10 of one gallon this morning, took about 5 minutes. Fist (and last) time I use that station.

JCQuick
05-28-2010, 01:27 PM
They have new filters out now for the ethanol blends they detect phase separation(water in the fuel) when this happens the filter will only pass about 1 GPM.
Every time I run into a slow pump I leave that station

walrus
05-28-2010, 01:51 PM
I thought they were rotary vane (positive displacement) pumps such as Tuthill Fill-Rite (http://www.tuthill.com/us/en/products/Catalog/Fuel-Transfer-Pumps.cfm)?

Don't see alot of Tuthill fill rites in gas stations. I'm talking about these
http://www.franklinfueling.com/products/sps/4_VSVLT.asp

porschedude996TT
05-28-2010, 01:54 PM
Too many cars drawing from the same supply line from the underground tank. That is when I upgrade to mid-grade fuel. It cost a little more, but I'm not wasting time.

viper86
05-28-2010, 02:04 PM
Did you like buying that air bubble:lol_hitti.

:lol: never thought of it that way... I did quit going to that station though, and have never had issues since

walrus
05-28-2010, 02:20 PM
:lol: never thought of it that way... I did quit going to that station though, and have never had issues since

BTW, I doubt there was an air bubble:thumbup:

JCQuick
05-28-2010, 03:12 PM
BTW, I doubt there was an air bubble:thumbup:

Me too the meters have air eliminators in them so we don't pay for air only fuel. Thats a weights and measures standard

eldirector
05-28-2010, 03:21 PM
The discussion was about gasoline( at least I thought it was going by the thread title) not diesel, 10 gallons a minute for gasoline.
Sorry, I thought it was about slow pumps. Most folks read "gas" like they read "Coke". You might purchase gasoline, diesel, kerosene, ethanol, and a Diet Pepsi at a "Gas Station", and every one of these pumps might be slow.

Did some googling, at it appears the the 10GPM flow rate limit does not apply to:
dispenser units
dedicated to heavy duty (>8500GVW) vehicles (e.g., card
controlled, attendant operated, or with a larger than
unleaded nozzle)

Scout Driver
05-28-2010, 03:31 PM
I believe that the pumps are regulated by the "safety safari" of gov. officials. If I remember correctly, there are regulations on how many gallons per minute a pump can dispense. This is to prevent people from turning a small spill into a massive flood of fuel if the pump is left unattended and fails or some other freak of nature event occurs.

Scott

BetterDays
05-28-2010, 03:33 PM
Sorry, I thought it was about slow pumps. Most folks read "gas" like they read "Coke". You might purchase gasoline, diesel, kerosene, ethanol, and a Diet Pepsi at a "Gas Station", and every one of these pumps might be slow.

Did some googling, at it appears the the 10GPM flow rate limit does not apply to:

Coke is Coke.
Pepsi is Pepsi
Root Beer is A&W, Dad's, or Mug.

:lol_hitti

nolatoolguy
05-28-2010, 05:07 PM

Our local fuel station has 3 diesel pumps. 2 located infront witch are just your average fuel station diesel pumps, and open to the public. In back theres a huge tank behind the station. Basicly its pay monthly fuel. Its just logged as you get it. You have a pin code punch it in, pump fuel and then its added to your tab. The one in back is for offroad diesel so it cant go in cars or trucks that are on the road.

adam728
05-28-2010, 06:36 PM
Coke is Coke.
Pepsi is Pepsi
Root Beer is A&W, Dad's, or Mug.

:lol_hitti

Clearly you are from the north (as am I). When I moved to Georgia if you asked for a Coke they'd ask "what flavor?". ANY pop (err, I mean soda) was a Coke. From there it breaks down to sprite, root beer, dr pepper, Mnt dew, etc

Abbott
05-28-2010, 06:40 PM
Oregon and New Jersey also have laws that prevent people from pumping their own gas. Diesel fuel and gasoline into motorcycles and gas cans is still legal to pump yourself.

walrus
05-28-2010, 07:32 PM
Me too the meters have air eliminators in them so we don't pay for air only fuel. Thats a weights and measures standard

Dispensers don't have air eliminators. Not sure how many suction pumps are still around but I see 90% Dispensers over suction going in on the jobs I work on.

walrus
05-28-2010, 07:36 PM

The only site I've seen dedicated to those specs is UPS and I service quite a few of them. They adhere to the 10 gallon a minute rule and make me test to make sure they don't exceed it.

gsport
05-29-2010, 02:18 AM
here in oregon we can not pump our own gas... one day when the attendent started pumping the diesel in my truck it was wayyyyyyy slow and wouldn't speed up. she stopped pumping and layed the nozel on the ground for about ten seconds and it worked fine after that.. i asked her what she was doing and if i remember right she said she was letting the hose vent or something like that.... anyway it worked fine after she did it

walrus
05-29-2010, 06:15 AM
here in oregon we can not pump our own gas... one day when the attendent started pumping the diesel in my truck it was wayyyyyyy slow and wouldn't speed up. she stopped pumping and layed the nozel on the ground for about ten seconds and it worked fine after that.. i asked her what she was doing and if i remember right she said she was letting the hose vent or something like that.... anyway it worked fine after she did it

Mechanical line leak detector was tripped, she let the pressure build up in the line to reset it. All she had to do was wait and it would have reset, laying it on the ground did nothing.
Here is one example of a leak detector, used in a pressure systems found in many gas stations
http://www.veeder.com/page/Mechanical_Line_Leak_Detection

some zilch
05-29-2010, 07:39 AM
diesel pumps, especially ones at stations frequented by semis, pump much faster than car gas pumps; the nozzles are also larger than a gas nozzle. imagine trying to fill twin 150gallon diesel tanks at 10GPM.....

in NY, gas pumps used by the "general public" cannot have the locks that hold the nozzle open. i work for a municipality, and all our pumps can be locked on; the same was true at my old place of employment (though just a private business). do you really want "suzy soccer mom" locking the nozzle on her SUV, and then driving away?? not me.....